• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Origami King |OT| They see me foldin'

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Shy Guys finish last has completely ruined this game for me. Just uninstalled it after 3 infuriating attempts.

The fact that you have to start all the way over at the very beginning if you fuck it up and dont get the 100 points is unacceptable. Im sure alot of people enjoyed that part but it was complete garbage and completely ruined the game for me. They shouldve at least taken the time limit out of the answer phases. Some people just cant think that fast under a bullshit time limit.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Shy Guys finish last has completely ruined this game for me. Just uninstalled it after 3 infuriating attempts.

The fact that you have to start all the way over at the very beginning if you fuck it up and dont get the 100 points is unacceptable. Im sure alot of people enjoyed that part but it was complete garbage and completely ruined the game for me. They shouldve at least taken the time limit out of the answer phases. Some people just cant think that fast under a bullshit time limit.
Yeah, I didn't care for that at all.

There was this kind of stuff in Color Splash as well, and in both games I resorted to taking snapshots/videos of the TV screen and pausing the game to solve the puzzles. But here things are considerably worse due to the time limit. My thoughts and prayers go to the poor souls who will willingly commit themselves to 100% this mini-game for the "trophy".

Though I'm partially guilty of this because
there's a special extra round after the game if you want a collectible, and if you fail it's Game Over and you have to do it all from scratch. Of course I used the screenshot+pause strategy there too, but I was still quite flustered until I got confirmation that I had answered correctly, lol

The buildup to that part was great and I was genuinely taken by surprise, but the thing itself... yeah.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’m loving this one particular level. Am super stumped at the moment, have been searching for the way to advance for days now, but I refuse to look anything up

I’m wondering if I missed a very tiny detail in text that will guide me...Olivia basically tells me where to go but I’ve searched far and wide dozens of times; this is going to be a good one when I finally figure out what to do. Most impressive level so far, I’m proud to say that this level so far is pretty up there in terms of quality. Intelligent Systems hit a home run with this particular area; the one I’m exploring now

Cutty Flam

Banned
So this one has really grown on me. The battle system has become a real joy, and the game is absolutely full of charm. Exploration is a delight. So many wonderful surprises hidden everywhere and really such a fabulous little game.
If you like this game, you 100% need to try these games too some day, you’ll probably be stunned with their differences:

-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
-Paper Mario (N64)
-Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

The first two of those three are must plays for any hardcore Nintendo / Mario fan; some of Nintendo’s greatest work

Saruhashi

Banned
So this one has really grown on me. The battle system has become a real joy, and the game is absolutely full of charm. Exploration is a delight. So many wonderful surprises hidden everywhere and really such a fabulous little game.

I've been thinking about how the battle system is almost a "design your own difficulty" thing.

You can just hold y and all the toads will shuffle the board for you.
OR you can do it yourself.

You can use the best items bought with the excess of coins you will pick up.
OR you can use the block mechanic and only the basic boots and hammer.

OR you can just flee and not fight at all.

I'd been thinking similar with BotW and Mario Odyssey where you have ways to challenge yourself and sort of make it up as you go along with your approach to how you play the game. First playthrough of BotW I was all about getting every shrine but when I play now I just get enough to get the master sword, swap those out for stamina and then I just leave it. Mario Odyssey allows you to blaze through the main story and then you have access to the real challenges on offer.

It's something I wish Nintendo would promote a little as a kind of "philosophy" on how players might want to view their games.

Paper Mario also feels like something of a "Diet Zelda" in how the worlds and dungeons etc are split up.

Strong art direction. Great soundtrack.

It's actually a pretty underrated game, I think.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Finished the game earlier

To those who are familiar with the Paper Mario games in the series, (I cannot speak on Sticker Star or Color Splash--have not played) I rank this as the third greatest Paper Mario game

That I have played:

Paper Mario >>> Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door >>>>>>> Paper Mario: The Origami King >> Super Paper Mario

Can speak at length praising the game for its incredible writing, but this installment could have been much, much better

Pros:

-Areas in game can be very beautiful to behold
-Fun, vibrant and lively
-Hilarious little jokes all over the place, this is the greatest aspect of the game
-Dialogue and interactions with characters is nice
-Olivia is full of life, a very entertaining partner and ally
-Great OST
-Unlikely heroes teaming up alongside Mario
-Boss fights can be a lot of fun and challenging

Cons:

-Battle system grows tiresome and tedious
-Hand-holding to the max, you cannot explore often times, but instead will be restricted and told to move forward towards the current objective
-Olivia can also be very annoying at times
-No RPG elements
-Extremely linear game outside of Toad Town and the Desert level
-Story is mediocre
-Zero replay value
-Item system and finding items in this game is very, very underwhelming / not rewarding at all
-Overall depth of this game is paper thin

Going to reward it a 6.35 out of 10 possible points and I will stand strongly with that rating. Intelligent Systems can do much better than this as we know. Paper Mario is worlds greater than this game! Origami King actually has the potential to be a substantially better game than what it is, but the game really has no backbone. It's upheld almost entirely by the game's writer. I've never seen such a case, but with his outstanding ability to bring that classic Paper Mario charm to the characters and therefore the world at large in Paper Mario: The Origami King, the man virtually carried the game all on his shoulders. That's incredible. I still like the writing and dialogue in the first two better, but this is excellent work, make no mistake. Everything else is entertaining enough to get you through the game and finish it. Bottom Line: I liked it, but I also didn't like it. It's a game I appreciated very much being such a huge fan of the initial installments, but I can criticize it heavily because this game simply does not measure up to its predecessors, at all. It's a fun and funny little game, something I'm sure younger kids would probably enjoy but this did little for me being such a hardcore fan since the beginning. Paper Mario (N64) is the ultimate Paper Mario adventure still to this date, without question. From start to finish, it still heavily outshines the rest. I'm waiting for the series to return to that level of video game glory, and I cannot wait until it does, for all the fans' sake!

Cutty Flam

Banned
They need to bring back partners, badges, introduce more items, cut the hand-holding off completely, and increase the difficulty of enemies. When they do that, with what I've seen from this game, Paper Mario will be back like never before. Paper Mario: The Origami King shows that Nintendo cares a lot about this series, but they need to at some point bring backs oldschool RPG style elements into these Paper Mario games. That's what I'm saying at least. Don't be afraid to present a challenge with a Mario game in which players might get stuck and have to think or wander a bit, that should be the opportunity to explore the overworld and discover secrets. There should be more impressive information to find, and more impressive and useful items to find

Impotaku

currently on the last boss, i found some of the boss battles tedious but the environments and the dialogue was great some lines genuinely made me laugh my head off. i loved how everything looks hand made in that game it made for some very pretty places to explore sometimes especially with the lighting.

Top Bottom