• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Origami King |OT| They see me foldin'

Mista

Banned
This was my first Paper Mario game and honestly I enjoyed Origami King as much as I enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion 3. Really charming and fun game with gorgeous visuals.
Now its time for you to play this one

SI_GCN_PaperMarioTheThousandDoor_enGB_image1600w.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do you trust my taste in games? If you do, this is the greatest Paper Mario game ever.
The problem isn’t I don’t trust taste, the problem is how can get my hands on this game when I don’t have either GameCube or proper gaming PC.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The problem isn’t I don’t trust taste, the problem is how can get my hands on this game when I don’t have either GameCube or proper gaming PC.

A mediocre PC ought to be able to handle a GC emulator.

protonion

10 hours in.

It is not good.

It started well enough. Beautiful environments, fun exploration...

But now I am about to trade it.
The battle system sucks. It sucked from the first battles and even after 10 hours there is zero evolution. The same stupid thing over and over. And I am at a part where they are pretty often and difficult to avoid.

The exploration is okish but I grew tired of it too. Having a million hammerable objects is fun but only for a while. From one point I could "see" every secret.

And the cherry on top is the awful writing. I could tolerate all the flaws if the writing was on the level of super paper mario or the first two mario and luigi games.
Not a single funny line in all the hours I played. Bland, unfunny, soulless.

Don't bother with this.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Man I actually started digging into this game this weekend. You were all right about the music.

Bobby is King. The interactions between him and Olivia are hilarious.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Man I actually started digging into this game this weekend. You were all right about the music.

Bobby is King. The interactions between him and Olivia are hilarious.

I absolutely adore the classical with Asian influences thing going on there - fantastic tune.

carlosrox

Banned
Actually starting this game properly now. I held off cuz my Switch situation isn't really the best (my Switch overheats and shuts down unless I put a fan on it - the internal one is busted. My left speaker is busted too thanks to this stupid Ultra Chess game I got for it and my headphone extension for my TV sucks too. So...yeah.

But time to start it now!

lol Bowser's first fuckin' joke got me to laugh out loud a bit. It seems this game's gonna be every bit as hilarious as Color Splash was.

Yay!!! So happy to be playing this!

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I just started this yesterday. I just beat the colored pencils.

I don't hate it, but I'm definitely disappointed. I really don't care for the battle system. It looked promising in previews, but I just find it boring. It's somehow both too easy and frustrating at the same time.

The lack of an XP progression system is just dumb. Especially after so much feedback asking for it over the years since TYD.

I do like the graphics, art style and the game is pretty funny. So, the overall package is still worth playing, but I definitely was hoping for something different than what we got.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Have to avoid this thread like the plague to avoid any bit of spoilers. I had two requirements for me to buy this game

1) Beat Resident Evil: Zero
2) Collect 700 Moons in Super Mario Odyssey

Finally finished RE0. Now I need like 92 moons and I can make the purchase. Then I’m going to be posting like a fiend probably all over the place. It might annoy people, but this is a huge deal for me. Paper Mario games are
This was my first Paper Mario game and honestly I enjoyed Origami King as much as I enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion 3. Really charming and fun game with gorgeous visuals.
Trust in the GOAT, play Paper Mario (N64) next and a true masterpiece will unfold before your very eyes

Also Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Ffs, Nintendo needs to find a way to get that pup on the SNES Nintendo Switch Online options. Unbelievable adventure. Most complex Mario game out. Wouldn’t mind playing it a third time. I’m sort of hoping Paper Mario: The Origami King took a page from both RPG and the first Paper Mario. It looked to be so in the trailer, but I can only rely on those in this thread maybe to say if it is or isn’t

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I, for one, appreciate the culling of a true exp system in the latest PM games. Reducing combat to a minimum is a good thing. The games are long enough and they have plenty RPG-ish things to do already without the hassle of exp grinding. Also, the combat system in Origami King isn’t really exciting, so it’s a good thing you don’t really have to fight most of the time. The Mario & Luigi games on the other hand, doubled - or rather, tripled down on the combat, and the latest episodes were just a chore. The slimmer the combat, the better in my opinion.

Having said that, the game is brilliant. Color Splash had a better script and greater variety, but TOK is close. Nintendo’s excuses for the lack of original character design are pure bullshit, though. The Toads were much funnier in CS, and it’s clear they’re running out of jokes. But the setpieces, now those are great. I untied three ribbons and I’m working on the fourth, and apart from the earth shrine at the beginning of the adventure proper, there’s hasn’t been a single moment of boredom. The
amusement park
thing went on for a little too long imo, but the ending was worth it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I beat Resident Evil: Zero and earned over 700 moons (have 717 moons) in Super Mario Odyssey. Those were me requirements to purchase this game, so I finally decided to pull the tigger on what would have been a day one purchase but I didn't want to get distracted

I think I'm going to make this my rotation from now on:

-Paper Mario: The Origami King
-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (finished, but many Shrines and sidequests left, Korok seeds, might have even missed some areas on the map....)
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
-Super Mario Odyssey just to kill spare time (want to make the last near 300 moons last a while)
-Rocket League
-The Legend of Zelda (NES)

This is going to be a lot of fun. I missed out on Sticker Star and Color Splash but am a huge fan of the first Paper Mario (favorite game of all time), have beaten TTYD and Super Paper Mario. I'm going to hold this game to the first one and compare the two because I see similarities and have high hopes for the latest addition to the series. It looks poised to be a much, much better game than Super Paper Mario at least and from looks, might even be better than TTYD... but that game was really well made so it might be tough

Suuuuperrrrr excited

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I beat Resident Evil: Zero and earned over 700 moons (have 717 moons) in Super Mario Odyssey. Those were me requirements to purchase this game, so I finally decided to pull the tigger on what would have been a day one purchase but I didn't want to get distracted

I think I'm going to make this my rotation from now on:

-Paper Mario: The Origami King
-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (finished, but many Shrines and sidequests left, Korok seeds, might have even missed some areas on the map....)
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
-Super Mario Odyssey just to kill spare time (want to make the last near 300 moons last a while)
-Rocket League
-The Legend of Zelda (NES)

This is going to be a lot of fun. I missed out on Sticker Star and Color Splash but am a huge fan of the first Paper Mario (favorite game of all time), have beaten TTYD and Super Paper Mario. I'm going to hold this game to the first one and compare the two because I see similarities and have high hopes for the latest addition to the series. It looks poised to be a much, much better game than Super Paper Mario at least and from looks, might even be better than TTYD... but that game was really well made so it might be tough

Suuuuperrrrr excited

Looks like a solid plan. I need to give Zelda 1 a proper go some time - I’m loving BOTW and it’d be nice to delve into the older stuff. Big game queue at the moment though so it’ll be a while.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Looks like a solid plan. I need to give Zelda 1 a proper go some time - I’m loving BOTW and it’d be nice to delve into the older stuff. Big game queue at the moment though so it’ll be a while.
Which other games have you played, of TLOZ series?

That’s a solid choice if you haven’t played anything besides BOTW; going straight for the original. That way you get to see the masterpiece that started it all

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Which other games have you played, of TLOZ series?

That’s a solid choice if you haven’t played anything besides BOTW; going straight for the original. That way you get to see the masterpiece that started it all

I’ve not played any other Zelda games - this is my first Nintendo console and I really only bothered emulating the Mario games before getting one.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve not played any other Zelda games - this is my first Nintendo console and I really only bothered emulating the Mario games before getting one.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask changed my life. You have to get your hands on those two games and play them. Those teo are my #1 and #2 on the GOAT video games list

HOW have you not beaten RE0 yet?You've been making threads about that game for months now. It can be finished in a couple sittings.
I finally finished RE0 about four days ago. Two sittings riiiiight lmao. Why don’t you go ahead and do that homey, on hardest difficulty the route I chose for my first playthrough. If we’re talking about the Nintendo Switch version, on hardest difficulty then I doubt it. This isn’t Piglet’s Big Adventure, this is Resident Evil: Zero, alright Pawn?

It's still weird to me that Intelligent Systems hasn't done a true follow up to Thousand Year Door. Was watching some longplays and this game looks pretty good just weird to see so few battles

I assume we're still going to see a new Mario and Luigi game to scratch that RPG itch?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
This game is so good. I haven’t really tapped into much just yet, about to place the fourth Vellumental before I saved, but game is shaping up nicely

Cutty Flam

Banned

This game is so fucking funny lol. I still love the moment when Mario and Olivia first find a bench to rest on for a moment. They sit down, then Olivia scoots over a couple times closer to the center to get better situated and comfortable I'm assuming and in effect Mario is forced to scoot over twice too. Idk why but that was really amusing to me that they put that in there LMAO, nice little touch haha

Olivia is wonderful

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think people were just too caught up with whole thing about "why this game is not similar to TTYD" instead of enjoying the game for its own merit.
That’s every Paper Mario since Super. And they were all good games.

I finished Origami King yesterday. Beautiful ending, final boss was surprisingly easier than many before it.
But the final zone and the final battle alone are enough to put OK below Color Splash imo. OK is child’s play in comparison.

Saruhashi

Banned
I've been flipping between this and Ghost of Tsushima since release despite telling myself I would not buy two new games so close together.

Personally, I am really enjoying it.

Apparently we are supposed to hate the battle system but I've found it to be fun so... guess I'm one of those easily pleased Nintendo fanboys.
I think there's a bit of a disconnect between games that try to take a more slow and laid back approach and players who seem to want all action all the time. Or at least players who demand very specific things and are unhappy when those things are missing.

Always impressed by the level of polish on Nintendo games.
Everything is just so well put together and all the different pieces work to complement each other.

Don't think this'll be winning to many game of the year awards but it's actually a pretty good time.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I've been flipping between this and Ghost of Tsushima since release despite telling myself I would not buy two new games so close together.

Personally, I am really enjoying it.

Apparently we are supposed to hate the battle system but I've found it to be fun so... guess I'm one of those easily pleased Nintendo fanboys.
I think there's a bit of a disconnect between games that try to take a more slow and laid back approach and players who seem to want all action all the time. Or at least players who demand very specific things and are unhappy when those things are missing.

Always impressed by the level of polish on Nintendo games.
Everything is just so well put together and all the different pieces work to complement each other.

Don't think this'll be winning to many game of the year awards but it's actually a pretty good time.

I'm currently up to my neck in BOTW but yeah Paper Mario is a chill game, the battle system is certainly a nice idea though I'm not 100% sold on it. It's an absolute joy to explore the world though, and you're bang on about that magic level of polish you get in a nintendo game. I think the reason their games are so good is the same as the reason they're slow to put out games. They take time to get it right, and won't release it til it's brilliant. They built a business model on making games that can keep selling at full price for several years - to do that you have to consistently put out quality product and establish a reputation for not dropping the price by not dropping the price. It's an honest model that delivers quality product without bad design incentives - in a way it's quite old-school, and that's probably why I feel so at home in Nintendo-land.

Top Bottom