• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Origami King |OT| They see me foldin'

Jooxed

Gold Member

I9XB7ES.jpg

Publisher: Nintendo, Developer: Intelligent Systems, Release Date: July 17th, 2020

06ESz1Z.jpg

T3EpIk3.png

Battle Ring System

Slide and Turn your way to Victory in Paper Mario Origami King's new battle system. Line and Group Enemies up to unleash combos and attack bonuses to defeat groups of enemies quickly. There is a time limit on battles so spend coins to earn more time to plan your battles efficiently. Coins in battles can also be spent on Charms and Weapons which have a durability and higher quality upgrades.

Heart Containers are found throughout the game to upgrade life and attack points. There is no traditional experience in the game.

hMYHQte.png

The Thousand Fold Arms

One of Mario's new abilities, called 1000-Fold Arms, allows you to interact with the landscape by stretching out and pulling, peeling and revealing new locations, helping you to solve puzzles and uncover unexpected surprises

jcncWDh.png

fQZFAnD.jpg

Discover Vast and Lush New Environments

Journey through 6 open areas in Origami King repairing holes created by King Olly defeating the stationary and office supplies to take down the streamers and restore Princess Peaches Castle and Toad Town.

cktDiJy.jpg

A9HbcBC.jpg

r1zJiPW.jpg

1ag4zRX.jpg

wQb2fwA.jpg

vD4KzHm.jpg

k10mpvI.jpg

****Disclaimer I don't do OT's but no one else in Nintendo GAF spoke up so here we go.. Sorry for the lack of picture editing ability. I see I already made a mistake with Captain T. Ode name, will Fix later.

Last edited:
Awesome thread Jooxed Jooxed , you're just the motherfucking man.

Anyway, got my order ready and I'll be playing this bad boy day one. First day one I've done since God of War. I'm very excited for it. Here's a quote by Kensuke Tanabe on how people should approach this game:

I do think it’s difficult to satisfy certain fans with the adventure game direction if they think of Paper Mario games as simply being RPGs. I hope that everyone will play this game with an open mind.

If you think it looks good, give it a shot. Worry about TTYD later. Play it with an open mind baby!

Jayjayhd34

So bit confused about upgrades, I know there's no exp but I've noticed certain screenshots health differs so how do you upgrade health.

Jooxed

Gold Member
So bit confused about upgrades, I know there's no exp but I've noticed certain screenshots health differs so how do you upgrade health.

As you upgrade Mario by finding heart containers, you’ll get a boost to your HP as well as to your attack strength. This makes your attacks more powerful in fights and outside of them as well. For most of the game, you can jump on a low-level goomba or koopa troopa and take them out without actually entering the battle screen.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
My copy (physical like most of my Switch games) arrives tomorrow. I am tumescent. Excellent OT sir, you fucking legend.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really on the fence about this game, personally. I've played all of the Paper Mario games to date, but they all seem to get progressively worse. Color Splash - I couldn't even finish it, the game was simply too tedious. The battle system in this game looks much better, but the lack of serious player progression deflates my hype pretty significantly.

Guess I'll wait and see what Jooxed Jooxed and everyone here has to say about the game to see if it's something I might enjoy.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Really on the fence about this game, personally. I've played all of the Paper Mario games to date, but they all seem to get progressively worse. Color Splash - I couldn't even finish it, the game was simply too tedious. The battle system in this game looks much better, but the lack of serious player progression deflates my hype pretty significantly.

Guess I'll wait and see what Jooxed Jooxed and everyone here has to say about the game to see if it's something I might enjoy.

I'm where you're at but I game share with a buddy and it's my turn so I'll be grabbing this one. I want it to be amazing but I'm tempering my expectations.

Collin

Banned
I’ll add it to the OP after work but you get coins in which you buy upgrades. You can increase your HP and stuff but that’s about it.

At a certain point in the game non boss battles become trivial

assuming you get coins from battles (and the amount of coins you get reflects the difficult of the fight), then I guess it's basically a 1x1 stand in for exp so that doesn't bother me as much as i thought it would.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Never played a paper mario. I wonder if I would like this? mario odyssey is probably my favorite mario ever
The characters, fights, and overworld in each Paper Mario game that I have played have been pretty good

Paper Mario = masterpiece
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door = very fun, great game
Super Paper Mario = entertaining enough to playthrough although I have much to criticize it for
Paper Mario: Sticker Star = have never played / no 3DS
Paper Mario: Color Splash = have never played either / no Wii U

I think you'd like it if you enjoyed Super Mario Odyssey but they are two completely different games. Paper Mario, in the 3/5 I have played, move along as get further and further in by 'Chapters'

If you want an idea of how it might play, check out this playthrough for a bit

Imo, if this game is anything at all close to the very first Paper Mario for the N64, then this is well worth the buy. I think I'll buy it today, decided to buy the tangible copy just so I have something to keep as a memory if it turns out to be extraordinary

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
My copy just arrived - why do I have to bloody work ffs?

wvnative

Can somebody who has the game let me know if there's a way to disable the motion control parts or work around them somehow? Thanks

wvnative

Yep, there's an option to disable motion controls. I did it right away. I'm loving this game so far. The charm is just through the roof. Still only a couple hours in

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much and hats off to Nintendo for having a game with that option. Nintendo has been an enemy of mine and my disease, this, for Nintendo, is a huge step forward.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this game for the last few hours and it's GREAT! Seriously, if anyone is on the fence because of the battle system, don't be, there is so much more to this game. The music and graphics/art style are great and the story and characters will charm your socks off!

Don't pass on this game because, "OMG! THERE ARE NO EXPERIENCE POINTS!!".

Last edited by a moderator:

Shantae

Banned
I’ll add it to the OP after work but you get coins in which you buy upgrades. You can increase your HP and stuff but that’s about it.

At a certain point in the game non boss battles become trivial
Ugh, this is why I was so disappointed in this game.

I still ended up buying it today, because I needed something light hearted to play. Couldn't decide on anything else in my backlog.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Ugh, this is why I was so disappointed in this game.

I still ended up buying it today, because I needed something light hearted to play. Couldn't decide on anything else in my backlog.

Yeah i am mostly looking forward to it because I am just finishing up Xenoblade DE and Alien Isolation which or both pretty heavy games so I need something pretty light.

Pantz

Gold Member
Game volume seems pretty quiet on my Switch Lite even at max. It doesn't seem to have volume settings either. Had to plug in some earbuds to hear it a little more. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Reactions: Zog

Zoro7

Banned
Played a couple hours this morning and actually enjoyed it.
The constant tutorials though, not sure if you can turn them off. They really hold you had at the beginning.

Andyliini

I'll get it later down the line, when I have time for it. Paper Mario has never been my favorite series, amd there's too many games for me to play right now. Maybe in November or January next year.

Zog

Banned
First impressions after a couple of hours:

- Battles suck, I don't enjoy the puzzle aspect
- The confetti is like the paint in Color Splash. I like it because it makes exploring more interesting. I appreciate the confetti comes to you when you are near.
- I haven't laughed once, reviews said it was hilarious, I hope it gets funnier
- The volume is really low and the text is kinda small on the Lite

Last edited:
Top Bottom