• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Origami King doesn’t have experience points

DryvBy

Paper Mario: The Origami King is not the return to the traditional roots of the series I was hoping for. Like other recent entries in the series, it de-emphasizes character-progression elements to provide a simplified role-playing-game experience. And yes, that means Mario doesn’t earn experience points for battles and doesn’t level up as a result of those fights.

Why does Nintendo refuse to Make Paper Mario Great Again?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This doesn't really effect me since this is my first Paper Mario game, so I will judge the game for it own merit.

Codes 208

Monster hunter World doesn’t have exp (or not in the traditional sense) and it became one of my favorite Rpg’s this gen. So I say let it play

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Even just through the first section of the adventure, I’ve already begun trying to avoid combat. I have no incentive to disrupt the exploration just to get in a battle that will leave me in the exact same position I was before it started.

That was the big complaint about the last Paper Mario too, I believe. So it seems it'll continue to be an issue.

Apart from that he has a lot of good things to say about the game. Probably a low 80-something I'll guess.

Last edited:

Eevee86

That's fine. FF7R had experience points, but it hardly mattered as you couldn't really grind anyways so you were going to be where they wanted you to be at any given time. Sounds like this one is more about figuring out the puzzle of the ring than overwhelming your enemies with damage.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah I don't think this is a crime against humanity.

Honestly I think RPG mechanics are in too many games and it needs to be dialed back.
While that's generally true, I'd still say I've enjoyed the Mario RPG games (Mario RPG, Mario+Luigi, OG Paper Mario) that have experience points / progression much better.

Shifty1897

I see what you're saying, but....the game is an RPG...
Is it? I know previous games in the series were, but with no RPG mechanics this one looks more like an action/puzzle game.

I do think if they're going to shift the genre of the game, they should designate it as a spin off in the title somehow.

TexMex

KindheartedNervousCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Danjin44

Look at it this way, I love Xenoblade but in that game you can also avoid random battles and just do side quests to gain Exp.

Jeeves

Is it? I know previous games in the series were, but with no RPG mechanics this one looks more like an action/puzzle game.

I do think if they're going to shift the genre of the game, they should designate it as a spin off in the title somehow.
And the thing is, I think they successfully communicated that Super Paper Mario would be a step in a different direction. I wouldn't mind seeing them continue in the SPM direction. But this approach just comes off as a really watered down version of the first two games.

I don't have gaming PC of emulator, if it does come out on Switch I will gladly play it.
I hope there's enough to this game for you to enjoy it, but yeah if you ever have the chance to play TTYD or even the first game, jump on it.

Danjin44

hope there's enough to this game for you to enjoy it, but yeah if you ever have the chance to play TTYD or even the first game, jump on it.
What I want from this just fun adventure and I love visual style of this game, is kind of same reason I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 3. I do hope one day I get the chance to play the first two games.

Mr Hyde

Sounds really stupid. What's the point of battles if you can't level up? Gonna give it a go anyway. Love the visual style of it and it seems to be a fun adventure overall. Might get tedious though if there's no incentive to fight.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
seems fine. If you don’t want to fight then skip the fights. If you do then enjoy the fights.

At this point I don’t see xp as a necessity. And yeah RPG elements are overused in everything these days.

Shantae

Banned
Arlo was right, he knew from the start that something didn't feel right, and knew this wasn't gonna be the return to form that some people thought it was.

I think I'm canceling my preorder. Fuck them for pulling this shit a third time, and learning nothing from the complaints after Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Allandor

Ok, they stripped the last thing from the RPG ...
I really don't know why Nintendo did that. I really liked Paper Mario until they changed the whole genre (after the Wii) :(

I don't really care as long as the character progression is there to a certain extent

Either way I've taken a wait and see approach on this franchise since Sticker Star (I would love to know story behind that games development cycle)

zelhawks37

I'm pretty much going to treat this game similarly as Super Paper Mario and I love that game personally. I really tried to get into Sticker Star, but it was such a drag to get through and the humor just wasn't the same. At least the music was stellar like always. I'll give this game a chance because at least there's some personality to it.

ExpandKong

Banned
I wonder. Wasn't there an interview recently where someone at Nintendo said something like how they had the Mario & Luigi series and that fulfilled the more "traditional" RPG role so they wanted to use the Paper Mario series as more of an experimental thing?

I wonder if, now that Alpha Dream is gone and Mario & Luigi is effectively dead, the Paper Mario game after this one will be a more traditional RPG.

I'm not particularly torn up either way, I liked Super Paper Mario so I don't mind less of an RPG focus.

DryvBy

seems fine. If you don’t want to fight then skip the fights. If you do then enjoy the fights.

At this point I don’t see xp as a necessity. And yeah RPG elements are overused in everything these days.

You do know Paper Mario is the RPG game right? Please tell me you know why someone would be upset if an RPG didn't have RPG elements. Might as well make visual novels without words.

Top Bottom