• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario and the Origami King Review Thread

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
*triggered*
wwKKdpj.jpg
STOP MAKING FUN OF NINTENDO FANS!!! WE DESERVE RESPECT JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

Oh and btw the LameStation 5 can't do this

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t agree with the comparison. Melee and other Smashes had a slightly different execution of the same thing, with the former being more appropriate for high-level, competitive play (and I’m not a fan of how it played, personally).

Paper Mario about jumped into a different genre entirely, and before this game, it was almost unrecognizable tonally as well.

I’ll take more, apparently great, games like Origami King, but it’s time for Nintendo to stop screwing around and do it. Make the Thousand Year Door sequel, and benefit in every way, as well as delighting your fans.

The comparison isn't totally valid because those call backs to the earlier games largely come from the fanbase and not the press as well when it comes to Smash. Origami King got compared to the earlier games in every review I've read, some variation of the "this might not have been what the fans wanted" make its ways when discussing the shortcomings of the game.

And to me that's frustrating because the criticism about progression and lack of incentive to do battles became so ingrained with the series it's just impossible to know how much of that is true and how much got blown out of proportion. It's the "weapons durability" or "Souls games should have an easy mode" thing, the one talking point that ignores the design philosophy behind the game and completely misses the point. And besides, it never became a thing with Horizon Zero Dawn, and that game flat out punishes you for not running from basically everything in the open world. Horizon sucked balls, but even a good game like any Yakuza has that issue. Why do random battles that pop up in Kamurocho? At some point there's no reason. BOTW, same thing, it's cute to find different ways to kill the enemies, but there is no proper incentive. You get overleveled to oblivion if you do every battle in every RPG. Do the wonderful sidequests in TW3 and the rest of the story is trivialized unless you turn on damage sponge mode.

I'm not saying this to excuse any issues Origami King has with progression, I'm saying it became attached to the franchise. Until they do a turn based RPG again, the game could suck your dick and people would still cling to that TTYD ghost.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I've been waiting 16 years for another good Paper Mario, and if these lack luster reviews are any indication, the wait continues. Wake me up when I get one with a Metacritic score of 98 or above :^|

Last edited:

Jeeves

Hey I'd be happy with Super Paper Mario 2. Just not this Sticker Star stuff. Can you believe this style now represents the majority of the series?

So ppl who have played it and taken their time with it, how is it?

I enjoyed TTYD very much, but from what I hear this one is sorta bland? I'm thinking of just getting it, playing it and selling it.

Jooxed

Gold Member

I enjoyed TTYD very much, but from what I hear this one is sorta bland? I'm thinking of just getting it, playing it and selling it.

we have some impressions in the ot

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

It's an Animal Crossing type game. It's chill, not a huge challenge, it's got gentle humour, it looks gorgeous but it's not a top-tier Nintendo title, it's not going to change your life like Mario Odyssey or BOTW.

Top Bottom