• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario and the Origami King Review Thread

Vawn

Banned
I don't get it, the flaws that the reviews point out seem pretty integral to the game, but that doesn't seem to be affecting the scores very much...?

I actually came in legitmately wanting to know the scoop on this game and all I got was a combination of confusion, and cynical acceptance that the game just isn't very good, but well, don't cross the Big N, or else beware their Big D.

Well, you can't just determine a score by thinking how much the negatives detract from the overall score. Perhaps it does certain things so well that it balances out things that are done poorly for an overall "pretty good" experience.

As it is often described, a game doesn't start at 10 and go down from there based off of issues. Certain parts increase a score and others decrease a score.

Last edited:

Eevee86

The Mario and Luigi series probably died while this was in development, so I'm curious if they'll go harder on the RPG mechanics in the future now that M&L is gone.

jaysius

Banned
One of these days they'll make a true sequel to Thousand year door, fuck I'd take a Paper Mario game with that combat system again, FFS the combat was NEVER BROKEN their idea of fixing or "reinventing" this wheel is to make it have more sides, they're up to a decagon at this fucking point with this stupid combat system and lack of XP.

BlackTron

Well, you can't just determine a score by thinking how much the negatives detract from the overall score. Perhaps it does certain things so well that it balances out things that are done poorly for an overall "pretty good" experience.

As it is often described, a game doesn't start at 10 and go down from there based off of issues. Certain parts increase a score and others decrease a score.

What you're saying is true, but as I (briefly) mentioned, the problems being pointed out with this game seem pretty integral, not things you just gloss over that doesn't affect the overall package much. Stuff like, the battle system isn't good.

It's hard for me to imagine how I could see this game as more than a 7 with the kind of complaints being lobbed at it, but I still haven't played it myself so...

jaysius

Banned
I don't get it, the flaws that the reviews point out seem pretty integral to the game, but that doesn't seem to be affecting the scores very much...?

I actually came in legitmately wanting to know the scoop on this game and all I got was a combination of confusion, and cynical acceptance that the game just isn't very good, but well, don't cross the Big N, or else beware their Big D.

Have you read any review from anyone in the past 10 years? This is how the review game works, 2-3 months from now when hype dies and gamers "decide" that it's "safe" to talk negatively about the title there will be a cavalcade of threads about how truly bad the game is.

Also incase you're being fooled by "average joe" "honest" youtubers, they present all the damning negatives about a product about 5 minutes into their video, and rant about them for about 3-4 minutes, but then quickly glaze over them and go back to telling you why you need the product without even touching on any of those negatives, it's the fake critquing that Youtubers are known for these days, the more negative they "honestly" bring up the longer they'll make the review.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
DcmZEFI.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
One of these days they'll make a true sequel to Thousand year door, fuck I'd take a Paper Mario game with that combat system again, FFS the combat was NEVER BROKEN their idea of fixing or "reinventing" this wheel is to make it have more sides, they're up to a decagon at this fucking point with this stupid combat system and lack of XP.
You should maybe check out Bug Fables, unless you really just need the Mario aspect of the game.

I think I'll probably be playing that instead of this.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

Hudo

Looking good, this going to be my first Paper Mario game so I don't really care its not "like pervious games" so basically I will be enjoying this based on its own merits.
I will do the same but with Golden Sun, if they do another one that is. Haven't played any of the Golden Sun games before but I'd be willing to give a new one on the Switch a go!

McRazzle

Miyamoto said they were taking Paper Mario in a new direction since they already have a Mario RPG series, hopefully they're doubling down on that.

Mr Hyde

So combat system sucks but everything else is kosher? And it's a big focus on comedy? I can live with that.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Are you tried to callibrate your tv? As much Nintendo games are too coloful, sometimes HD TVs make things even worst. If you want help, just say.

Oh sorry....I thought the game was very beautiful and charming in it's graphics. It was only the combat that I didn't enjoy. :)

Journalists are... pfft, anymore, but this really lines up with my impressions of the Treehouse, for the most part.

Not surprised. It isn't the Christmas gift we all wanted, but it's a really good one.

I wish one day Paper Mario gets to move on from the shadow of TTYD, just like Smash eventually got away from Melee with Ultimate.

HotPocket69

Banned
Bug Fables really kind of fills that TTYD void I’ve been pining for since TTYD. I discovered it recently and I’m glad I did.

I’ll get around to playing this by the end of the year (most likely after Tsushima). At least it seems better than Color Splash.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wish one day Paper Mario gets to move on from the shadow of TTYD, just like Smash eventually got away from Melee with Ultimate.

I don’t agree with the comparison. Melee and other Smashes had a slightly different execution of the same thing, with the former being more appropriate for high-level, competitive play (and I’m not a fan of how it played, personally).

Paper Mario about jumped into a different genre entirely, and before this game, it was almost unrecognizable tonally as well.

I’ll take more, apparently great, games like Origami King, but it’s time for Nintendo to stop screwing around and do it. Make the Thousand Year Door sequel, and benefit in every way, as well as delighting your fans.

Top Bottom