• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panzer Dragoon Remake |OT| It's alive and it's panzer-ing

I do want to support this myself but given I don't get much money and LRG charge $15 for Customs Fees, I can't really pay £45 for a game I may or may not like based on reviews. :/

I took the chance with SoR 4 because I love the series and I got eBay Money to offset it.

I wonder if I should wait until the final week to decide whether to get it or not.

Still not played Zwei yet (played PD via PDO and I own Saga).

I would have jumped all over the jewel case edition last month but now money is tight and I can't justify it. Hell I'm probably sitting RE3 out.

You're in for a treat with Zwei though when you finally get a chance to play it. It's such a huge step up in every department from PD.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
(Panzer Dragoon Original team without Sega of Japan) 55%

(New team with a little help from PD original team)
More or less in line with Andromeda Team/Groundings (60%...)

(Sega of Japan/Smilebit/Sega CS1 without the creator of Panzer Dragoon). 90%

Seems like Panzer Dragoon creators REALLY need to ask development help from Sega of Japan.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

hurry up, guys. Only a few reviews has been released, you still have time to save the game from death sentence like Crimson Dragon.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Well, I just went and preordered the Special Edition from Limited Run Games, right out of the blue. I have never played Panzer Dragoon, but I like to try new things with games.
I preordered the regular edition from LRG. I’m just happy it comes with a full color manual. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I own the Saturn original. I just hope I enjoy the remake. I’m optimistic that I’ll enjoy it. I mainly just want a remake of Saga, along with a possible sequel.

cireza

Banned
Standard, in-game color :
3uUBbj0.jpg

Photo mode, "Vivid" filter :
JPdxAyX.jpg

Why don't they allow us to play with whatever filter we want ?

Kazza

Standard, in-game color :
3uUBbj0.jpg

Photo mode, "Vivid" filter :
JPdxAyX.jpg

Why don't they allow us to play with whatever filter we want ?

They mentioned being able to change the filters multiple times during development, I assumed that they were talking about in game rather than just in photo mode. I'll be shocked if it isn't implemented as part of patch 1. That first picture looks like it's from Breath of the Wild!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I played a bit of the original way back when. Has this been announced for other platforms or is this switch exclusive?

cireza

Banned
They mentioned being able to change the filters multiple times during development, I assumed that they were talking about in game rather than just in photo mode. I'll be shocked if it isn't implemented as part of patch 1. That first picture looks like it's from Breath of the Wild!
If someone finds a way to do it, please us know. The filter works good on bright stages, but does not work well on dark stages. So I think the developers decided to not allow changing the filter in-game because of this. Honestly, they should simply put the "change filter action" on a button, and call it a day. And people will do whatever they want and that's it.

The Remake should be called "Panzer Dragoon: Breath of Beautiful Vistas".

I am pretty surprised they didn't follow the Colour Pallete of the Original to be honest....or look into Poland's more desolate areas to be inspired.

I guess they may have confused PD for Zelda?

I wouldn't usually care for colours but for PD, it does look too bright for a Post Apocolyptic World, only the Dragon needs to look Vibrant.

Kazza

I played a bit of the original way back when. Has this been announced for other platforms or is this switch exclusive?

Just PC so far (GOG and Steam), although no release date given.

The Remake should be called "Panzer Dragoon: Breath of Beautiful Vistas".

I am pretty surprised they didn't follow the Colour Pallete of the Original to be honest....or look into Poland's more desolate areas to be inspired.

I guess they may have confused PD for Zelda?

I wouldn't usually care for colours but for PD, it does look too bright for a Post Apocolyptic World, only the Dragon needs to look Vibrant.

I was thinking that the Remake devs might have taken inspiration from level 2 in Orta, but I looked at a playthrough just now and the Orta forest/river valley isn't nearly so lush as I remembered. To be fair, a post apocalyptic world might actually look very bright and vibrant (not so many people exploiting the environment after all). I really liked the lush greenery in Enslaved: Journey to the West from last gen. Most of the other Remake levels look suitably dark and foreboding though.

Fat Frog

Just PC so far (GOG and Steam), although no release date given.

I was thinking that the Remake devs might have taken inspiration from level 2 in Orta, but I looked at a playthrough just now and the Orta forest/river valley isn't nearly so lush as I remembered. To be fair, a post apocalyptic world might actually look very bright and vibrant (not so many people exploiting the environment after all). I really liked the lush greenery in Enslaved: Journey to the West from last gen. Most of the other Remake levels look suitably dark and foreboding though.
PC and Stadia.
The standard filter looks a little bit like piss ?
Hope the PC version will have enhanced textures, Panzer Dragoon PS2 unlockable and fixed controls. Otherwise I'll keep buying Panzer Dragoon Orta.(i'll buy Orta 10 times anyway, only 10 bucks, what a crime)

Pansy

I dunno. $25 for a game that can be completed in 45 minutes just seems crazy imo. There are several indie games that last for hours that fall at a lower price than this. I'm going to wait for this to go on sale.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, nothing about the controls and crosshair etc.?

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hope they get the dragon's animation right for Zwei.

That's very important.

Enjay

Banned

Yikes at that stuff having had to be patched in and not just in the release while controls and targeting system, you know those essential parts of the shooter video game they were working on, STILL need to he fixed and they're way past launch now.

Orta

Banned
Gave it a go after updating. Much ado about nothing tbh. Devs simply have to sort the targeting, controls and camera issues asap or they can patch it to kingdom come for all the good it'll do to the actual gameplay.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Strange, it felt like the lock-on was more responsive since this update.

It does feel like the water is much more blue in the first stage, which helps a lot.

New soundtrack by Saori Kobayashi is a great addition as well.

Arkage

Banned
(Panzer Dragoon Original team without Sega of Japan) 55%

(New team with a little help from PD original team)
More or less in line with Andromeda Team/Groundings (60%...)

(Sega of Japan/Smilebit/Sega CS1 without the creator of Panzer Dragoon). 90%

Seems like Panzer Dragoon creators REALLY need to ask development help from Sega of Japan.

Sega really knew how to make responsive games due to their arcade chops. Don't know if they really exist anymore though since that team just makes Mario & Sonic olympics stuff. They probably lost talent in the ensuing years.

Andromeda Team was part of Sega and integrated into the Orta team, so trying to subdivide stuff up that way to make a point is weird. The Panzer Dragoon remake is sitting at a 60% for a variety of issues. It takes 1 hour to beat. It's $25. The aiming and controls remain basically unchanged, so it takes a while to get used to. Gyro controls are coming, as is a remixed soundtrack, but they're not there now.

I mean they probably could've just released a port, charged $10, and the game would be at a 70 or 80 meta. But as it stands I'm glad they redid the graphics even though they're taking a beating for it.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Sega really knew how to make responsive games due to their arcade chops. Don't know if they really exist anymore though since that team just makes Mario & Sonic olympics stuff. They probably lost talent in the ensuing years.

Andromeda Team was part of Sega and integrated into the Orta team, so trying to subdivide stuff up that way to make a point is weird. The Panzer Dragoon remake is sitting at a 60% for a variety of issues. It takes 1 hour to beat. It's $25. The aiming and controls remain basically unchanged, so it takes a while to get used to. Gyro controls are coming, as is a remixed soundtrack, but they're not there now.

I mean they probably could've just released a port, charged $10, and the game would be at a 70 or 80 meta. But as it stands I'm glad they redid the graphics even though they're taking a beating for it.
Nope it's not weird, for instance, Takashi Iwade who was a golden KEY to Orta's Magnificence (art director) didn't work on Crimson Dragoon (Futatsugi on the other hand didn't work on Orta, he left the company before like other Andromeda team members...)which leads to extremely disapointing color choices...

My point is... when so many talents stayed at Sega, you cannot reach the same quality. Yu Suzuki with YS(Shenmue 3), Yukio Futatsugi with Grounding (Crimson Dragoon).
It's true Sega sometimes would need its ex employees but the opposite is even more true. For instance, over talented directors of VF 4, Out Run 2 remains at AM2, F-Zero GX's director is at Sega CS1, Sega Rally 95's director worked on Sega World Drivers...

Last edited:

Alexios

SEGA didn't make this though. And they still make good arcade games (granted stuff like Border Break are already old but they were made long after SEGA went third party etc.) and remaster old arcade games excellently too with M2. And good home games like Yakuza And Valkyria Chronicles.

Last edited:
Despite the reviews I read and people complaining about the controls, this was one of my fav games on the Sega Saturn and I played through it alot. The controls were always kind of floaty in their own way, much like how everyone had mastered the N64 controller for Mario 64, Goldeneye, going back to that years later of course it won't feel as precise.

Just the same, I couldn't help myself when Limited Run Games put up a 'Classic Edition' of Panzer Dragoon for the Switch in the old longer Saturn jewel case. I was also pretty surprised to find you could order an officially licensed Sega Saturn controller for your Switch. It was abit lame that you also had to order the bluetooth receiver separately for $11.99 USD, the controllers were $19.99 USD.

I also noticed they did the same with the officially licensed Sega Genesis controllers with their own separate bluetooth receiver of course. I did grab that setup and Streets of Rage 4 from Limited Run as well.

PanzerDragoon_CE.png

Last edited:

Pansy

Despite the reviews I read and people complaining about the controls, this was one of my fav games on the Sega Saturn and I played through it alot. The controls were always kind of floaty in their own way, much like how everyone had mastered the N64 controller for Mario 64, Goldeneye, going back to that years later of course it won't feel as precise.

Just the same, I couldn't help myself when Limited Run Games put up a 'Classic Edition' of Panzer Dragoon for the Switch in the old longer Saturn jewel case. I was also pretty surprised to find you could order an officially licensed Sega Saturn controller for your Switch. It was abit lame that you also had to order the bluetooth receiver separately for $11.99 USD, the controllers were $19.99 USD.

I also noticed they did the same with the officially licensed Sega Genesis controllers with their own separate bluetooth receiver of course. I did grab that setup and Streets of Rage 4 from Limited Run as well.

PanzerDragoon_CE.png

What the fuck?? $60 for a limited run special edition of an hour-long arcade game? These devs are greedy as sin! I swear that Forever Entertainment is the leader of shovelware on the Switch market right now. They literally have games a lot like this that they charge for less than $10. Outrageous.

Orta

Banned
I decided to give it another go last night, done a run through. Still crap. And so many unavoidable cheap hits too. Maybe if the camera function was smoother you might be able to avoid some of them.

Unquestionably a shoddy sub €10 game. I then ran the original through the ssf emulator and though its certainly shown its age the difference is like night and day. At least its still enjoyable gameplay wise. Should have let M2 handle this, port the original, higher resolution, AA, v-sync, etc but just leave the gameplay mechanics the fuck alone and launch it with a price tag reflective of the overall game.

If FE does does the same with Zwei it'll be downright blasphemy.

Last edited:

Pansy

I decided to give it another go last night, done a run through. Still crap. And so many unavoidable cheap hits too. Maybe if the camera function was smoother you might be able to avoid some of them.

Unquestionably a shoddy sub €10 game. I then ran the original through the ssf emulator and though its certainly shown its age the difference is like night and day. At least its still enjoyable gameplay wise. Should have let M2 handle this, port the original, higher resolution, AA, v-sync, etc but just leave the gameplay mechanics the fuck alone and launch it with a price tag reflective of the overall game.

If FE does does the same with Zwei it'll be downright blasphemy.
I'm still encountering immense problems with it myself. Here's t hoping that as their first game MegaPixel actually learns from their mistakes before moving on with remaking Zwei or House of the Dead.

Kazza

There are already plenty of reviews of the game, but this one from Saturn encyclopedia PandaMonium is still well worth a watch. He liked the graphics, but mentioned the targeting being a little off:

For a remake the graphics are pretty "indie remake". Looks like a PS 3 game. The controls are a pain the lock on feature is completely broken

Last edited:
What the fuck?? $60 for a limited run special edition of an hour-long arcade game? These devs are greedy as sin! I swear that Forever Entertainment is the leader of shovelware on the Switch market right now. They literally have games a lot like this that they charge for less than $10. Outrageous.
Be that as it may, I couldn't help myself.

Kazza

Be that as it may, I couldn't help myself.

That's perfectly understandable. I personally would be willing to pay more for this Panzer remake than either the FFVII or the recent Resident Evil remakes. That's not because I think that Panzer is the better game or is better value for money, but because it's more niche, so those who like such games have to support them if we want to see more. I'll probably grab Resident Evil Remake 3 in a Steam sale sometime next year, whereas I'll be getting Panzer day one on Steam.

Of course, if they made a mess of the remake, then I wouldn't buy it, but this seems like a good effort overall, plus the devs seem more than willing to listen to fans and fix some of the targeting issues.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I'm going with the Nintendo Life review, the controls and aiming are horrible, absolutely horrible and have completely ruined the game for me.

Gutted.

*another review:
Okay this is a pass for me. I had a bad feeling from the jittery movement in the early videos.

memphistora

Neo Member
i still have my saturn and zwei. The remake looks pretty good but not too sure if the gameplay stands the test of time.

Now please remake Dragon Saga!

Alexios

The graphics look off not just in the art style but in that there's no human-scale detail. Things are less chunky and more detailed but often they still look abstract with no obvious purpose or functionality beyond the game's, which was easier to excuse and maybe fill in the blanks with 90s visuals.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Thread as the video is in French and wasn't auto translated by YouTube yet.
- HD Rumble
- 60FPS is added
- Input lag reduced/rotation improved
- Gyro controls
- Sound effects are reworked
- Several face button to fire/lock
- Auto lock system as an option
- Episode 0 added
- New game mode (performance?)
- New gameplay options
- New cheat codes
- Options accessible from pause menu
- Dragon animation reworked
- Game language based on console language at first launch
- Secret menu called Pandora Box in Remake now accessible once the game is beaten regardless of difficulty

There is no release date for patch V1.3 due to current COVID situation. Patches being validated by Nintendo Japan.

panzer Dragoon World c(courtesy)

The producer said they will improve the game until fans are all satisfied.

Last edited:

Kazza

- HD Rumble
- 60FPS is added
- Gyro controls
- Episode 0 added
- New gameplay options
- New cheat codes
- Secret menu called Pandora Box in Remake now accessible once the game is beaten regardless of difficulty

There is no release date for patch V1.3 due to current COVID situation. Patches being validated by Nintendo Japan.

Wow, they are changing so much! It's almost like a remake of a remake...

Fat Frog

Wow, they are changing so much! It's almost like a remake of a remake...
Good news is that they'll add features and improvments very often. (the good sales for the budget will help)

They rushed the game for the Nintendo Direct so as to have maximum exposure.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
- HD Rumble
- 60FPS is added
- Gyro controls
- Episode 0 added
- New gameplay options
- New cheat codes

I had a feeling that they pushed this thing out the door before it was ready. Those are some pretty huge improvements.

Which is good, because I have very high hopes for some of the games these guys have on the way...

Last edited:

Kazza

Good news is that they'll add features and improvments very often. (the good sales for the budget will help)

They rushed the game for the Nintendo Direct so as to have maximum exposure.

While I'm still a little annoyed that they pushed an unfinished game out like that (as many companies do these days), but they obviously care about the IP a lot and their improvements bode well for the Zwei and the ports to other systems. I hope the limited edition physical copies include the 3rd patch improvements.

Kazza

- Episode 0 added

What is this, an extra level?

Edit: found the answer myself:

Last edited:

Kazza

I've been keeping a close eye and waiting for the PC release, and from what i have understood, fundamentally, is that this is not a good remake of the original because of a few mistakes that seem negligible at first glance. Like how the dragon's too close obstructing the view, some aspects of the controls are a little slower, the lock on laser is a little unresponsive.

These add up. And what's really disappointing is that the original Sega Saturn release does not have these issues. It does have its own issues because it was the first of the series (like the framerate), but the controls and the camera system are relatively fluid, non-obstructive and arcade-y; Which is of no surprise given SEGA's history. Panzer Dragoon is an arcade game with great care put into the functionality of the controls and how well they work in tandem to what's going on the screen. The remake does not put great care in that.

Top Bottom