• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man deserves better.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
8 fucking years.

8 years since the last ORIGINAL pac man game that wasn't a rehash of the 1980 arcade title, and 20 years since the last one that was worth playing. When will pac man get the love that he actually deserves. I want to see this yellow ball become something more than just the guy known for being that funny arcade game everybody went crazy over in 1980. Pac Man World 1 and 2 were good games, and they were setting up for something good. But world 3 wasn't as good, Ghostly adventures was... ghostly adventures, and then we get nothing other than another championship game and more pac man rehashes of the arcade game everybody and their mother has played at this point. I think he deserves better as a franchise because those world games had potential to become something excellent. I'm glad they're trying to somewhat bring him back with the new remake, but it honestly looks cheap and it's clear they didn't but their absolute best team on it (which is fucking stupid for what's supposed to be their mascot)
If nintendo had a mentality similar to Namco, then Mario galaxy 2 would have been the last 3d mario game and the majority of mario games that came out in the last decade would have been rehashes of Donkey Kong.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Please tell me you aren’t sleeping on PAC-MAN CE.
i'm not but it's still just another arcade rehash with better mechanics and prettier visuals. It's addicting but there isn't a plot, there isn't an actual story, there isn't much gameplay progression as you go through the levels, it's literally just high score simulator like the original game was

anthony2690

Banned
i'm not but it's still just another arcade rehash with better mechanics and prettier visuals. It's addicting but there isn't a plot, there isn't an actual story, there isn't much gameplay progression as you go through the levels, it's literally just high score simulator like the original game was
I am pretty sure that is what most pacman fans actually want.

I'm pretty happy with the world remake myself, even though I can imagine most don't care for it :p

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

what kind of plot do you want in a pac man game?

it's a yellow blob who eats other blobs and sometimes runs from ghosts

i would say CE is peak pac man and did the series justice.

DaGwaphics

Honestly, I think Pac-Man is such a simple concept that the original arcade releases are all you really need. Still fun to kick around with, that good-old coin,-eating simplicity of the classic arcade games.

Kacho

Ok so we’re discounting Pac Man CE because it’s a rehash even though by all standards it’s the goat?

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
8 fucking years.

8 years since the last ORIGINAL pac man game that wasn't a rehash of the 1980 arcade title, and 20 years since the last one that was worth playing. When will pac man get the love that he actually deserves. I want to see this yellow ball become something more than just the guy known for being that funny arcade game everybody went crazy over in 1980. Pac Man World 1 and 2 were good games, and they were setting up for something good. But world 3 wasn't as good, Ghostly adventures was... ghostly adventures, and then we get nothing other than another championship game and more pac man rehashes of the arcade game everybody and their mother has played at this point. I think he deserves better as a franchise because those world games had potential to become something excellent. I'm glad they're trying to somewhat bring him back with the new remake, but it honestly looks cheap and it's clear they didn't but their absolute best team on it (which is fucking stupid for what's supposed to be their mascot)
If nintendo had a mentality similar to Namco, then Mario galaxy 2 would have been the last 3d mario game and the majority of mario games that came out in the last decade would have been rehashes of Donkey Kong.
'There isn't an actual story'? Are you on drugs, OP?

The story is 'eat those dots'. It's Pac Man. It isn't meant to have 'a story'. What zoomer nonsense is this?

ReBurn

Gold Member
There's only so much you can do with Pac-Man, tbh. CE and Pac-Man 99 are both great takes on the game. But where else can it go?

It's fucking Pac-Man.

Vandole

Just because it hasn't been mentioned, Pac-Man 256 was a really good take on the endless runner concept.

Also, the series has no need for a story any more complex than, "beat the high score."

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
'There isn't an actual story'? Are you on drugs, OP?

The story is 'eat those dots'. It's Pac Man. It isn't meant to have 'a story'. What zoomer nonsense is this?
It's fucking Pac-Man.
Honestly, I think Pac-Man is such a simple concept that the original arcade releases are all you really need. Still fun to kick around with, that good-old coin,-eating simplicity of the classic arcade games.
This is EXACTLY what i mean. You guys are reducing it to "arcade fun" because the only thing namco has done with the property for the past near decade is make it all about the arcade game. The arcade game that's literally 40 years old that we've all moved on from. If they continued the World games and made the platformers better, you wouldn't even consider the arcade game as anything but "the game Pac Man originated from."

CamHostage

Ok so we’re discounting Pac Man CE because it’s a rehash even though by all standards it’s the goat?

...Are you and me gonna have to fight over whether your precious Pac-Man CE is the goat against my godblessed Pac-Man Battle Royale, or is there a world where we can both exist with no bloodshed over greatest Pac?

:goog_unamused: :pie_diana:

BTW, there's a Pac-Man BR sequel coming out called "Chompionship Edition", with adjusted mechanics and some shifted rulesets on a widescreen playfield and the ability to link cabinets for up to 8-player Pac-Man versus gameplay (with seemingly some kind of team-based battle systems?) Also it adds a scoring system, so you do want to win the match but there seems to also be reason to rack up individual points rather than just going for a kill. And it's pretty power-up-crazy from what is shown in the test version. (There's also a projector-system version where, instead of having a full cabinet, there's just a monitor, and everybody controls their character with their phones.) I don't know if I love the new ultrawide playfields yet (seems like there were a lot of long stretches of bars in the video, though it swaps the field when dots are finished so there is variety,) but I'm eager to blow more paychecks with friends at barcades playing this one.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This is EXACTLY what i mean. You guys are reducing it to "arcade fun" because the only thing namco has done with the property for the past near decade is make it all about the arcade game. The arcade game that's literally 40 years old that we've all moved on from. If they continued the World games and made the platformers better, you wouldn't even consider the arcade game as anything but "the game Pac Man originated from."
It is just 'arcade fun', you lunatic. It's an arcade game.

DaGwaphics

...Are you and me gonna have to fight over whether your precious Pac-Man CE is the goat against my godblessed Pac-Man Battle Royale, or is there a world where we can both exist with no bloodshed over greatest Pac?

:goog_unamused: :pie_diana:

BTW, there's a Pac-Man BR sequel coming out called "Chompionship Edition", with adjusted mechanics and some shifted rulesets on a widescreen playfield and the ability to link cabinets for up to 8-player Pac-Man versus gameplay (with seemingly some kind of team-based battle systems?) Also it adds a scoring system, so you do want to win the match but there seems to also be reason to rack up individual points rather than just going for a kill. And it's pretty power-up-crazy from what is shown in the test version. (There's also a projector-system version where, instead of having a full cabinet, there's just a monitor, and everybody controls their character with their phones.) I don't know if I love the new ultrawide playfields yet (seems like there were a lot of long stretches of bars in the video, though it swaps the field when dots are finished so there is variety,) but I'm eager to blow more paychecks with friends at barcades playing this one.

Never even knew a Pac-Man BR existed. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

teezzy

Banned
814s2rLwcIL._SL1500_.jpg

This game was tight

Agent X

Just because it hasn't been mentioned, Pac-Man 256 was a really good take on the endless runner concept.

I agree. It's a great game to pull out whenever you want to whittle away a few minutes of spare time.

Never even knew a Pac-Man BR existed. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It was released in arcades in 2010. Later, it would come home as part of the Pac-Man Museum and Pac-Man Museum+ compilations. This Wikipedia article has some information on the game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_Battle_Royale

iHaunter

8 fucking years.

Why can't gaming Franchises just end? Pac-Man was fine the way it was. Just a side scrolling reaction/puzzle game. That's all it needs to be.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No.
It's a simple arcade game. Nothing more. It got the CE and that's it's ultimate form

BossLackey

Gold Member

Yeah, I mean Ms. Pac-Man is really all you need. The game was essentially perfect for what it was trying to do.

Top Bottom