• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owned titles coming to Xbox Cloud Gaming soon?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Technically- sure.

Enforcement on physical- lol good luck.
Easy.
Need to be connected to the network to run the game.
Run the game, only have the main menu because this console/account is not allowed to run this game.

Granted you could just buy another console and make a new account.

brian0057

Banned
With both physical and digital you own the right to play the game.

You don't own the game either way.

Please don't be edgy.
Unless the publisher or developer comes directly to my house, and breaks my kneecaps for my physical copy, I can do whatever I want with it.
So yes, I own my physical copy. Not so much the digital.
And being for property rights is not "being edgy".

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Unless the publisher or developer comes directly to my house, and breaks my kneecaps for my physical copy, I can do whatever I want with it.
So yes, I own my physical copy. Not so much the digital.
And being for property rights is not "being edgy".
I've been digital on steam since the store launched back in 2003(I think?), and have been all digital on xbox one since release.

I have never lost a digital license.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
It’s odd in my opinion. I thought on Stadia you can stream your owned games with no sub? Whatevs, when my sub lapses I’ll just remote play from my console for free if I ever need to stream a game.
I agree. The microsoft initiative is pretty cool but could be even better without sub.

DaGwaphics

I agree. The microsoft initiative is pretty cool but could be even better without sub.

No one is going to give you free, unfettered access to the cloud just because. With the exception of maybe some of the big FTP games that are laden with MTX. You are either going to pay some kind of monthly fee or pay more on average for the software to provide the revenue to cover the ongoing costs. In MS's case, much better to go with some kind of monthly sub and leave store prices untouched, that would allow you to take advantage of that crazy $5 deal and still have cloud access. Especially since this same store is serving customers that utilize local hardware only.

Last edited:

MikeM

Easy.
Need to be connected to the network to run the game.
Run the game, only have the main menu because this console/account is not allowed to run this game.

Granted you could just buy another console and make a new account.
So a banned console? Never heard of that for single player games.

I don’t think Sony has a requirement to “check online” for back compat physical games?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder if it will work for disc based games, if u put the disc in your main xbox and u can then play it via ☁️

Black_Stride

So a banned console? Never heard of that for single player games.
Not necessarily banned consoles.
Its within the means if a game can be delisted from your account/console because its a digital copy, then the physical also could as long as the game requires an online presence.

I don’t think Sony has a requirement to “check online” for back compat physical games?
image-25.jpg

If a company really wanted to take the PR hit there's no reason there couldn't be a 'delisted license' list baked into the OS where the game won't even launch offline. Given that more and more companies are simply treating disks as physical licenses to go download the actual game that disk will be worthless if somebody really wants to press the nuclear button.

It's time to give up the ghost physical-bros, disks are not a protection against these shenanigans.

Black_Stride

If a company really wanted to take the PR hit there's no reason there couldn't be a 'delisted license' list baked into the OS where the game won't even launch offline. Given that more and more companies are simply treating disks as physical licenses to go download the actual game that disk will be worthless if somebody really wants to press the nuclear button.

It's time to give up the ghost physical-bros, disks are not a protection against these shenanigans.
Exactly.
This whole physical preservation yada yada.
In this online age a physical disk is only marginally more valuable than the data stored on the internal harddrive.

If these companies want to "shutdown" a game as long as it(the console or the game) asks to be online then that physical disk might as well be a coaster.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
For PC Players:

Geforce now does this with your steam library (albeit in a limited manner currently since not EVERY game you own can be streamed with GeForce now).

Steam has also been testing their "cloud play functionality" for like a year and a half at this point and some of their other features (like game sharing) already have great results in terms of performance. If that ever gets a full release it will be fantastic for the PCMR.

I know forspoken was already known the be exclusive for Playstation for 2 years, but was never confirmed to come to xbox. Was this always here? Has the release date and everything.

Last edited:

Jesb

Sorry to bump an old thread but when can we expect more options on xcloud? I see some games listed on gamepass but it’s not on xcloud. Like Black, and Quantum Break.

Top Bottom