• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owned titles coming to Xbox Cloud Gaming soon?

Anime-Vix

a user posted on r/xcloud found games not available on Game Pass having a URL to sign in and play the game (not currently functioning)
Microsoft annouced a few months ago that they will allow Gamepass owners to play their Owned games through Xcloud.
It appears that day is almost here.

410b7d47a4a7539f56fdc2e3d91662db.jpg
FZvwIOGXEAEw79c

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That would be pretty sweet, they've said this has been in the pipeline for a while.

The next step will be the ability to smoothly transition from cloud to local play on your console, to facilitate installations. Imagine buying the latest Call of Duty game - your console immediately starts downloading the 200GB install, but at the same time launches a cloud streaming instance. The download obviously gets lower priority, but a lot of people (like me) would have enough bandwidth to do both pretty well.

Once the local version has finished downloading, the next time you save or autosave, the game restarts and launches you into the local version - right where you left off. All digital downloads now become games that start instantly so you can play right away. Large patches could utilize this method too, so instead of waiting 4 hours for a giant 80GB download to be able to play multiplayer with your friends, you're just put right into the action.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes I recall reading about this earlier in the year as well.

Good thing to add along with the GP family plan.

May probably officially launch with that as well.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Because Microsoft isn't in the business of running data servers for free.
It’s odd in my opinion. I thought on Stadia you can stream your owned games with no sub? Whatevs, when my sub lapses I’ll just remote play from my console for free if I ever need to stream a game.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s odd in my opinion. I thought on Stadia you can stream your owned games with no sub? Whatevs, when my sub lapses I’ll just remote play from my console for free if I ever need to stream a game.

On Stadia, your console is the cloud machine. They have to give you access to that even without a sub since that's the only place you can play the game you've bought from them.

On Xbox, your console is sitting at home on your desk or under your TV. And you can play your owned games there anytime.

Nobody's going to give you access to an Xbox in the cloud to play your games for free.

DaGwaphics

Jimmy Fallon Jack Aiello GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

This will be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEE for Xbox cloud streaming. No streaming platform has ever had a library accessible the size of Xbox's. A console in the cloud is basically a reality at that point. Take your saves and entire library with you anywhere you go.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe? But this is extremely easy to fake.
This is the link

Earlier it was coming up for me like adamsapple adamsapple 's screenshot. But now it just redirects to xbox.com/play

jshackles

Well amazing value add if true.
That link was working for a ton of non-Game Pass games earlier though, so I'd think it's more them just testing the feature in the OP (Cloud streaming if you have Game Pass Ultimate, and own Elden Ring) than it is Elden Ring coming to Game Pass.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That link was working for a ton of non-Game Pass games earlier though, so I'd think it's more them just testing the feature in the OP (Cloud streaming if you have Game Pass Ultimate, and own Elden Ring) than it is Elden Ring coming to Game Pass.

Archive.org caught the page before they removed it.

So the page is definitely real, or it was real until they changed the redirect:

1230lf2f.png

=----------------=

Also, Xbox Cloud Gaming Product Manager is going to Gamescom.

Maybe an announcement there ?

Last edited:

acm2000

This service has been known to be coming for a while, would assume the main hurdle to be legal contacts etc the same problem geforce now has.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Incredible news if true. Cant wait to play elden ring on cloud. And my Dark Souls saves. Top of my wishlist.

I just imagined there are some logistical issues too in terms of how to store all of the games people can possibly own. Or if theyre rolling batches out. Because potentially people can own anything on the store, and how do you set a Series X blade up in the datacenter to have access to the entire xbox store? Maybe there is an easy solution to that but I thought they would have to have the store content split up over different centers or between blades in the datacenters. And how the blades access the content. Im curious how they do this.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I wasnt expecting Elden Ring this year.....that has to be an error.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s odd in my opinion. I thought on Stadia you can stream your owned games with no sub?

That's GeForce Now's free tier. Access to your games if they are included in the service, but you only get to play for an hour at a time and you are going to wait a while for your turn to play. It's fairly useless, imo. The paid tiers of Geforce Now are the best streaming services from my experience.

Banned

That's GeForce Now's free tier. Access to your games if they are included in the service, but you only get to play for an hour at a time and you are going to wait a while for your turn to play. It's fairly useless, imo. The paid tiers of Geforce Now are the best streaming services from my experience.

Stadia also has a free tier that is locked to 1080p

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wow.

What a brilliant development. As someone who travels a fair amount, the ability to play the games I own without having to lug my Series X about is legitimately amazing.

Spyxos

Gold Member
No streaming service right now has access to Gta online any Cod or Elden Ring. If Xcloud would really let you play all these games, it would be huge.

So every game you own or does it have to be among a selection MS offers in a certain period? Any game would mean the service has to have all games installed on all or at least a sufficient amount of xcloud servers?

It would definitely be convenient to have that possibility even though native is better.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I tend to be away for long periods, so leaving the Xbox connected back home isn't really feasible, as I shut everything off in my flat while I'm gone.
Personally I’d just get a Switch and either a 3DS or Vita for emulation in your case. I’ve completed games like Spider-Man and Spyro 3 through remote play but for long periods I’d rather just play local. It’s not like you can play any competitive online games through a streaming service as you’d get torn apart. To supplement local devices though? Sure.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Personally I’d just get a Switch and either a 3DS or Vita for emulation in your case. I’ve completed games like Spider-Man and Spyro 3 through remote play but for long periods I’d rather just play local. It’s not like you can play any competitive online games through a streaming service as you’d get torn apart.

Nothing much on Switch I want to play, to be honest. I had one for a year or so, but stopped touching it after Mario and Zelda were done with. I'm a mainly third person, more mature, single player AAA gamer (survival horror, souls, RPGs etc.) , so Xbox and Playstation are my platforms.

Topher

Gold Member
Imagine using "anything Cloud" and "owned" in the same sentence unironically.

You are not really talking about cloud though. That's the argument some people make regarding digital ownership in general, but nothing really to do with this.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
If "owned", in this context, means you physically own the game (or at least have it saved locally), then my bad.

The point of this thread: If you digitally own a game in your library, and it's not included in the game pass lineup, you can apparently stream some of them via xcloud.

If you're just here to whine about physical VS digital games, just fuck off back to the 20th century and get a stupid haircut.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If "owned", in this context, means you physically own the game (or at least have it saved locally), then my bad.
With both physical and digital you own the right to play the game.

You don't own the game either way.

Please don't be edgy.

Top Bottom