• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Receives Xbox Series X|S Next-Gen Update

ManaByte

XBOX UPDATES
Optimized for Xbox Series X|S Enhancements

Added “Preferred Mode” graphics option which allows switching between three different presets: “Resolution”, “Balanced”, “Framerate”. These modes adjust video settings to bias towards image quality, resolution, and framerate.

• “Resolution” : This mode prefers higher-resolution output at the cost of some image-quality (Series X: 4K @ 60Hz, Series S: 1440p @ 60Hz)
  • “Balanced” : This mode prefers image-quality at the cost of resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 60Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 60Hz)
  • “Framerate” : This mode prefers higher frame-rate at 120 frames-per-second at the cost of both image-quality and resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 120Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 120Hz)
  • NOTE: Not you must have a TV that supports 120Hz or VRR (Variable-Refresh-Rate) to fully take advantage of the “Framerate” mode

It's a true next-gen upgrade, now needs to be installed on the SSD so it's not just a BC patch.

MrMephistoX

Me too although I’ve been splitting the hard drives of the SX and PS5 by doing multiplayer on SX and Single Player on PS5.

Jebron

So I own Overwatch on PS4, I thought I'd see if it's on sale on Xbox as I'm itching for a fun FPS game to play on my Series X.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THIS SHIT is $102.99CAD? There's literally no other options/editions, I either fork over $100+ or go fuck myself? This has to be a mistake on the storefront, no one in their right mind is paying this much for Overwatch.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

For the age of this game the price is a robbery. Was going to pick it up on PS4 to play with y cousins and changed my mind.
Already own on Xbox.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nice. This game needs to be played at 120hz or above. 60hz is a joke. Been playing at 165hz and it’s brilliant.

j0hnnix

Wow. Now that's a great update. I haven't played OW in a long while, might just install again and take her for a spin.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
So I own Overwatch on PS4, I thought I'd see if it's on sale on Xbox as I'm itching for a fun FPS game to play on my Series X.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THIS SHIT is $102.99CAD? There's literally no other options/editions, I either fork over $100+ or go fuck myself? This has to be a mistake on the storefront, no one in their right mind is paying this much for Overwatch.
It goes on sale regularly, but when it’s not on sale it is fucking insane they still charge the day one price.

Because of this patch we might see it as a free to play weekend this weekend, and there is always a sale on the games that are free to play that weekend.

I’d wait a day or 2 before buying in.

Game shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks right now.

I thought it was already dynamic 4K60 on Xbox one x, how is this not just a locked 4K?

I was gonna say something like this but didn't want to seem like debbie downer, but since the toothpaste is out of the tube:

Yeah, I am kinda surprised. Last time I played OW on PC it was a couple years ago and I had a 2070 Super, I don't think I ever got less than 120 FPS with everything Ultra. I have to think both PS5 and XsX can easily pull off 4k/60/Ultra

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Comp is more fun to me because people play the objective
Comp used to be fun for me but the community ruined it. Too much salt.

Arcade mode/custom servers have deathmatch, team deathmatch, PvE, and other fun modes that still give you the XP but not the added stress, and you don't have to worry about objectives as much.

Kagey K

Banned
Comp used to be fun for me but the community ruined it. Too much salt.

Arcade mode/custom servers have deathmatch, team deathmatch, PvE, and other fun modes that still give you the XP but not the added stress, and you don't have to worry about objectives as much.
I get that it’s a bit of a joke, but Plants vs Zombies used to piss me off this way.

Everyone plays like it’s TDM and nobody wants to sacrifice themselves. That’s why those pushing the objective and going negative doing it, need some bonus points for playing it instead of standing back and sniping while nothing happens as far as objectives go.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I get that it’s a bit of a joke, but Plants vs Zombies used to piss me off this way.

Everyone plays like it’s TDM and nobody wants to sacrifice themselves. That’s why those pushing the objective and going negative doing it, need some bonus points for playing it instead of standing back and sniping while nothing happens as far as objectives go.
That sounds a lot like Overwatch quick play(5 dps and one healer if you're fortunate) so I can kind of understand where you're coming from with the PvZ comparison.

All of these serious team games make me miss the old basic deathmatch games of old(because honestly that's what people want to do at the end of the day) but I guess those by themselves don't sell anymore so you need BR and competitive modes for the audiences.

Kagey K

Banned
That sounds a lot like Overwatch quick play(5 dps and one healer if you're fortunate) so I can kind of understand where you're coming from with the PvZ comparison.

All of these serious team games make me miss the old basic deathmatch games of old(because honestly that's what people want to do at the end of the day) but I guess those by themselves don't sell anymore so you need BR and competitive modes for the audiences.
Every game just needs team arena, if you want to go in and just trade kills TDM is there, and let those that actually want to play and win go do stuff like CTF or King of the Hill.

Don’t force TDM players into objective game modes.

Banjo64

cumsessed
120fps 120 or 1440p 60 on Series S 🔥🔥🔥

dj khaled GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure what kind of version this is, because it's shows two arrows facing opposite direction and those enhancements are burried in file details.

For the age of this game the price is a robbery. Was going to pick it up on PS4 to play with y cousins and changed my mind.
Already own on Xbox.
There's an origins editions for £27.51 on amazon. Assume you're wanting to get the digital though which seems fucking ridiculously priced.

Xyphie

Performance seems low compared to PC?

Jumping around the training course just now I get 140-165 FPS at 2560x1440 with the Epic preset on a GTX 1070. Even with 150% render scale (i.e. 4K equivalent) I get 90-100 FPS. XSX GPU should be +50% faster than my GPU, so it should be able to do a at least dynamic 4K@120FPS. Might be conservative in preparation for OW2 graphics overhaul?

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Yeah, I fell off of this game because of many exclusive skins that were never made purchasable directly.
Will I get Overwatch 2? nope because as a completionist and someone looking to 100% I'm pretty dissatisfied. So fuck Overwatch!

Top Bottom