• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

RemiLP

Not necessarily.

A person who is just there to have fun, and wont suffer the same penalites as his teammates is an invitation to trolling.

You'll see people intentionally throw, or feed the other team Ult energy just to get a reaction out of people.

not necessarily, but realisticly.

if u could choise between 5vs6, or add a random from quick play, u would chose the random. Everyone would. Chanses of winning with the random would be higher.

if u could choise between 5vs6, or add a random from quick play, u would chose the random. Everyone would. Chanses of winning with the random would be higher.

Yep, I'm sure Blizzard has statistics about the win % on a 5v6 match and it's extremely low. I personally have never won a match where my team was shorthanded, likewise, I don't think I've ever lost a match while the other team was shorthanded. The matchmaking is too balanced for one man not to make the difference between winning and losing.

Give me a random QP player any day.

People would chose that (Edit: See above), but it isn't the right answer.

I firmly believe that we have the best situation for us at is it, right now.

Yes, it's unfortunate when it happens, but the way it happens right now is the best and healthiest way for the game right now.

Again, if there is an option to replace a "bad" player with a player from Quickplay, the scenario of a bunch of players harassing what they deem a bad teammate will happen, because they'd rather roll the dice for another player.

This would just make the community more toxic.

Paltheos

I've said this before, but the best way I can think of for dealing with 5v6 is a method handled in some MOBAs: Give a slight stat boost, maybe like 10%, to the disadvantaged team. Nothing substantial because then it might be exploited, but give them something.

I've said this before, but the best way I can think of for dealing with 5v6 is a method handled in some MOBAs: Give a slight stat boost, maybe like 10%, to the disadvantaged team. Nothing substantial because then it might be exploited, but give them something.

10% is huge.

And again, this goes back to what I was already saying about harassing a teammate to leave so you can get the bonus instead.

So I'm picking this up on PC today, but I have the origins edition on the PS4 (Tied to BNET account). Can I buy the $40 PC version and still have my origin skins? Does my level and all that carry over as well?

TheOddOne

So, is this a new thing they do in comp?

POV:
animation1anovt.gif

Killcam:
animation2pupmb.gif

POV:
animation3leqzb.gif

Killcam:
animation4t2qdg.gif

Got my scrub ass out of silver tho.

Do I have to press the trigger multiple times when I use Hgh Noon or just the once?

Just once to fire on all the Currently visible targets.

You do NOT have to wait for the big circle to shrink down to the small circle either.

You will do damage proportional to the size of the circle.

So if the Enemy Roadhog is at full health, but his circle isn't quite there, you'll still do like 500+ dmg on your shot at him.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Once to start it, and again shoot.
How do those shrinking circles work when I press High Noon? Do I need to wait for the circles to close in before firing? Or is that just a timer for how long I can hold the ult before firing or cancelling?

antitrop

How do those shrinking circles work when I press High Noon? Do I need to wait for the circles to close in before firing? Or is that just a timer for how long I can hold the ult before firing or cancelling?

The timer for how long Deadeye will channel is the circle that surrounds your reticle. It's the same channeling that you see for Sombra's teleporter or Genji's Dragonblade. You have 6 seconds to fire before it auto-cancels and you waste it ("Zoning Ult").

The circles on enemies will close until they turn into a skull, indicating a one-shot kill. You'll still deal damage proportional to the lock-on, but it won't be a one-shot without the skull. The lock-on will still persist on a target even if they break LoS, so if you have a skull on someone and they duck behind a wall, but then peek out again, you have a chance to one-shot them immediately.

The lock-on rate can be quickened by damage boost, like from Nanoboost or Mercy boost. Enemies that have already taken damage will get locked onto faster.

... I don't know, man. Blizzard might be trying a smaller number of changes now rather than rolling everything out at once. I know for sure that all the most recently announced changes - The fix to Hook 2.0, the reduced Biotic Grenade duration, and yeah the reduced cooldown on Sombra's hack - Are all changes I approve of. They might still be looking at them too. Looking at the figures posted I'm kinda concerned about Dva too, but they might be keeping an eye on that. Not too concerned about Soldier myself though, and I think he might be more easily evaluated in whatever new meta arises when these changes go live.
My issue with Sombra is they're buffing her despite her being unfun to play with all of her quality of life issues.

Why does her speed boost have such a delay, why is her hacking the only ability in the game that gets stopped as soon as she takes damage, why does just pressing the hack button knock me out of insivibilty even if I don't have anything targeted?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The timer for how long Deadeye will channel is the circle that surrounds your reticle. It's the same channeling that you see for Sombra's teleporter or Genji's Dragonblade. You have 6 seconds to fire before it auto-cancels and you waste it ("Zoning Ult").

The circles on enemies will close until they turn into a skull, indicating a one-shot kill. You'll still deal damage proportional to the lock-on, but it won't be a one-shot without the skull. The lock-on will still persist on a target even if they break LoS, so if you have a skull on someone and they duck behind a wall, but then peek out again, you have a chance to one-shot them immediately.

The lock-on rate can be quickened by damage boost, like from Nanoboost or Mercy boost. Enemies that have already taken damage will get locked onto faster.

Cool, thanks.

Blues1990

My issue with Sombra is they're buffing her despite her being unfun to play with all of her quality of life issues.

Why does her speed boost have such a delay, why is her hacking the only ability in the game that gets stopped as soon as she takes damage, why does just pressing the hack button knock me out of insivibilty even if I don't have anything targeted?

My guess is that they didn't want her to be incredibly busted (such as how Granny is a cornerstone of the tank Meta). With that said, Sombra feels clunky to play, so I do hope the small buffs will make it less so.

Paltheos

10% is huge.

And again, this goes back to what I was already saying about harassing a teammate to leave so you can get the bonus instead.

Fine. Lower. Whatever.
5v6 should always be a disadvantage, but it shouldn't be that bad.
There are a couple concerns I have on it (which touch upon yours too), but they're easily enough addressed.

1) Abuse by having one teammate leave near the end of a losing match to give boosts to teammates on the point.
Easily enough addressed by putting a delay on the boost. It doesn't go into effect for a short while. 30 seconds? I haven't thought much about it, but 'not immediate' is the thrust of it. I also think most people are generally too self-interested to care that much about their team, especially if they're losing, but this is a simple safeguard against it.

2) Grouping with a very low SR teammate and having one leave.for a boost.
Obviously though, some can and will coordinate to abuse a system, but again this is more like a token boost than anything else. It's supposed to give something for being down a man, not something that should consistently change the outcome of matches. If you're 5v6, whether you win or lose the outcome should be the same most of them.

PS: I understand some heroes would be fundamentally adversely effected by such a change: Roadhog and Widowmaker for instance rely on one-hit kills in many situations. It's still 5v6 though, so I don't really care without seeing some practical issues with the idea.

Azoor

Here is my take.

IOT8I Pharamercy is dead! Long live Pharmercy!

Or

IOT8l We're all gay now

I know it's not that relevant anymore, but still!

I realize I'm going to post an unpopular opinion, but I'm starting to really like the surprise Widow on attack on mainly payload maps and situational on 2 CP maps. That being said, the widow must change on one of these conditions: point is captured, enough picks are done (preferably supports or the teams carry player), 1 minute passed with little/no results and/or you die ONCE within 45 seconds. Widows value decreases drastically over time, knowing when it's not working is very key (which most are too stubborn to switch).

Had a couple games when team was being spawn camped and nothing I switched to helped (support/tank main, everyone else was DPS), I switched to widow and was able to pick off 2-3 people right off the bat and team were able to move the payload. I'm not a good widow, so I switch off immediately, but I now see some value coming from that cold-blooded batch.

Stating the obvious, but the widowmaker must have decent aim to pull this off. This realization came to me by accidentally picking widowmaker at the start of a competitive match (I thought it was quick play @_@), if I had switched to one of my mains right after we could of pushed it much further but I was more focused on improving my aim as I thought I was in QP :(.

My contribution for new OT: Overwatch |OT8| Reinharder

Skii

I genuinely feel like the most unlucky person in Overwatch. Every time I go in solo queue for competitive, I always get the leaver and trolls. First game, someone left half way and we couldn't really bring it back. Not too upset but then the next game, we have a bastion and junkrat on defence who refuse to switch even though the opposing Pharah is carrying. I switch to Soldier to deal with it but it's too late and then everyone just throws the attack round because they're all tilted by the bastion. So I end up with gold elims as Ana/Soldier/Rein lol.

It's so annoying because when I group, this never happens. Teams don't throw or get tilted immediately but solo queue has been absolute hell for me.

wait, what's happening? I'm so confused! LOL

Sombra exploit. You can use sombra to get behind the walls in spawn, then you can switch to another character like pharah. Once you're pharah, you can traverse the whole map behind the walls without anyone being able to touch you. Hanzo may the only hero that can stop this exploit because his ult goes thru the wall.

EDIT: This exploit has already been reported to blizzard numerous times, they are aware of it, do not attempt unless you want your ass banned. They straight up consider this and the Mei exploit cheating on par with hacking/aimbot/autofire.

I genuinely feel like the most unlucky person in Overwatch. Every time I go in solo queue for competitive, I always get the leaver and trolls. First game, someone left half way and we couldn't really bring it back. Not too upset but then the next game, we have a bastion and junkrat on defence who refuse to switch even though the opposing Pharah is carrying. I switch to Soldier to deal with it but it's too late and then everyone just throws the attack round because they're all tilted by the bastion. So I end up with gold elims as Ana/Soldier/Rein lol.

It's so annoying because when I group, this never happens. Teams don't throw or get tilted immediately but solo queue has been absolute hell for me.

Don't feel to badly. It happens all the time to me too. I try not to play solo for comp anymore because I always got the short end of the stick. Either someone dropping, someone throwing the match, people bickering, and I couldn't fathom this crap going on for the other team. I always felt very unlucky too.

Top Bottom