• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 servers are down following a ‘mass DDoS attack’ on launch day

Dynasty8

Then they would be down. It's the same servers. It's the same game. People have called this 2.0 for a reason and they're not wrong. A new interface and unlock system doesn't magically make this a whole new game with it's own servers. It's the same assets, same levels, same modes, same characters, same everything. This would be like getting sad over Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it isn't original Mario Kart 8.

Most people here even joked about this game being 2.0 and not actual 2, but now suddenly those same people are up in arms that OW 1 is somehow dead. I've played the game today before the servers started acting funny. It's the exact same game but 5v5. Choose which thing to complain about, but it literally can't be both.

I've never seen a fan base overreact more.

The game is now free so people like me who never played the original can try it out...but from what I've seen and heard, it's the same exact game that everybody loves. The content is still there, all your unlockables are there, gameplay is just tuned like other PvP games with nerfs/buffs etc.

Put down your pitchforks

Put down your pitchforks
Mike Myers No GIF

I bought Overwatch (twice) and that game is gone. They turned it into a F2P mess. That's not what I paid for. Cool that you get to benefit from this, but the complaints are valid.

jigglet

Banned
but they never did tell us they were going to KILL OW 1 until a few days before they actually did it, so they're kind of scummy fucks here themselves.

Wait, there was no warning of this? This stuff is usually announced months (at LEAST) in advanced...they seriously killed it with just a few days notice?

NeoLed

Yup, it was to cut costs to players that paid for a product, and it was to divert resources to this OW 2 game, also to fuck people that had any currency leftover.

DDOS attacking them? It's shitty, but they never did tell us they were going to KILL OW 1 until a few days before they actually did it, so they're kind of scummy fucks here themselves.
I knew about it months ago tho. OW2 will replace OW as big update. I think they announced it around Blizzcon. Not "days" ago. There is even an ingame announcement at the main screen starting from a month ago.

Dynasty8

Mike Myers No GIF

I bought Overwatch (twice) and that game is gone. They turned it into a F2P mess. That's not what I paid for. Cool that you get to benefit from this, but the complaints are valid.

That game is not "gone", it's updated and they slapped a 2 at the end of the name. That's the reality.

What you paid for is an online ONLY game that came out 6 years ago and is now free for everyone, just like many other paid games that become free after some time (Destiny 2, Rocket League, etc).

Most people I've seen complaining mentioned they haven't touched the game in years. This isn't even about me or others "benefiting"... Games go free all the time.

Rykan

Bummer.

If only the Overwatch 1 servers were open for people while they wait.......
It was a big brain move killing Overwatch 1 then.
Well, back to Overwatch 1 while the servers are down.

O wait
Alright, I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret:

It's the same game.

Having Overwatch 1 servers up wouldn't have changed anything because they would use the exact same servers and thus also be vulnerable to DDOS. Seriously, people are so fixated on the number 2 behind it.

Overwatch 2 was initially supposed to be a brand new game with a huge PVE component, similar to other live service looter shooters such as D2, The Division 2 and Warframe. Development wasn't going smoothly and the PVE section has been delayed substantially, and apparently also had its scope changed.
The Overwatch 2 we have now is little more than a Free to Play relaunch of the game. There are some minor adjustments to the game and some added content, but by and large it's the same game. Saying that they should have kept "OW1" around is like saying they should have kept a previous Patched version around. Because that's all OW2 is: A "major" patch.

Last edited:

Sojiro

This is the best "Play Paladins instead" advertisement ever
Doubt it's a popular opinion, but I like paladins more after putting in a good amount of time in both. The builds you can do with the characters is awesome, there are a ton of champions to use, and it doesn't feel like you are just shooting shields all game. Paladins has no where near the looks or presentation of Overwatch and it has that Hi-Rez jank to it lol, but I still preferred it. Team Fortress 2 was better than them both though 😄.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Very passable so far. 30 credits for 4 weekly challenges, 20 for another 4, 10 for the final 3.
Legendaries are 1900 credits. I expect to die of old age before I get anything worthwhile for "free" again.
Mechanically, everything feels a bit off but I guess that is to be expected. I have no idea why anyone would choose certain tanks anymore, which is a shame.
At least each class has a weeb character to choose from now /s

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
new bastion feels like shit. removing his self heal and limiting the turret to a cool down feels like it killed him. roadhog feels good. idk i never touched the beta but i was expecting it to feel more different.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm going to go ahead and admit that I haven't followed the release cycle or any of the advertisements or media circus for this but are blizzard actually presenting it as a completely new game? Or are people just making the joke because it has the two at the end of it?

Because I was always under the impression that it was basically just a massive update to the original game and they were calling it OverWatch 2 in the same vein as you would "part 2" of a movie. I always interpreted it as being just the next step and the OverWatch journey not an entirely new game.

Because if they are actually trying to pass this off as an entirely new game that is completely and utterly ridiculous on their part. People have eyes lol

jaysius

Banned
I'm going to go ahead and admit that I haven't followed the release cycle or any of the advertisements or media circus for this but are blizzard actually presenting it as a completely new game? Or are people just making the joke because it has the two at the end of it?

Because I was always under the impression that it was basically just a massive update to the original game and they were calling it OverWatch 2 in the same vein as you would "part 2" of a movie. I always interpreted it as being just the next step and the OverWatch journey not an entirely new game.

Because if they are actually trying to pass this off as an entirely new game that is completely and utterly ridiculous on their part. People have eyes lol
In Bnet when you go "show in Explorer" it opens your Overwatch folder, the same one that OW 1 used.

NeoLed

OW2 is planned as new game consisting PvE and PvP. This is an early access where they release the PvP side first. I don't know if they're gonna stick with the planned PvE

Banned
I managed to log in... ALL MY STUFF IS GONE... great first impression right there!

and apparently this is a wide spread problem, judging from the dozens of threads and even more replies on their support forums and other related sites

tvdaXD

How can a company worth billions not (temporarily) rent some servers for a big launch?
I haven't been able to play, because 1 hour after launch my queue got disconnected, throwing me back... Then finally I thought I got in but the game caused a BSOD?! Even Cyberpunk 2077 ran better on launch. And after that the queue didn't even work anymore.
What a fucking mess, well deserved.

Filben

I don't think people care about OW2 t
My first thought was it's more a Blizzard related thing than OW. Blizzard is a shit company, more shite than the other big guys in that industry, anyways. Their stance on China, the sexual misconducts, treatments of other employees, Diablo Immortal etc etc. And then you add their product policy and disabling of OW1 is just the topping. When servers are already under huge load due to launch day, it's just perfect for an attack.

SJRB

Gold Member
These stupid motherfuckers deserve everything that's coming to them.

Disable your old game before you have your new game up and running, and now no one can play either. Galaxy brain IQ management at Blizzard strikes again.

Last edited:

Three

These stupid motherfuckers deserve everything that's coming to them.

Disable your old game before you have your new game up and running, and now no one can play either. Galaxy brain IQ management at Blizzard strikes again.
I wonder if it had something to do with Google and MS cloud services.

Activision Blizzard signed up with Google 2 years ago but some behind the scene turmoil could be happening right now with the buy out and them trying to move to Azure. Might have just killed the Overwatch 1 servers early without renewing and moved on to overwatch 2. Seems bizarre to kill those servers so early before your next game is even out.

Three

I managed to log in... ALL MY STUFF IS GONE... great first impression right there!

and apparently this is a wide spread problem, judging from the dozens of threads and even more replies on their support forums and other related sites
Yep sounds like some kind of data migration.

Ozzie666

I mean did they really disable Overwatch 1. This new version looks pretty much the same as version 1. The same, but different? now with even less content than before?
Attaching a 2 on the end of this, doesn't make it a sequel. Not sure what I was expecting, but still disappointed for some reason.

ZoukGalaxy

Oh yeah, that's me, and more exactly, that's my cat.
Since I showed him the internet, he's some kind of addict and he can't stop surfing the web and trying new things all day and all night long.
Well I guess I can't blame him to learn so fast.

My bad.

cat office GIF

Last edited:
Never mind, I forgot that people who owned the original game, but never paid extra $40 on top of a couple of skins will get only two things, jack and shit.

anothertech

"shut ow1 servers down..."

Anyone that doesn't realize they're just using the same servers is high as a kite.

The ddos attack is a million players trying it out cause it's free but their servers were only ready for the couple thousand kids that were still playing last week lolol.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Here's a list of online shooters you could play instead

TF2
CSGO
Paladins
War zone
Titanfall
Quake
Doom (via Zandronum and Doomseeker)
Apex Legends

And every last one of them is infinitely better and more worth your time than this so called 'sequel'
Fuck blizzard, hope they die freezing to death in one

Top Bottom