• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 | Review Thread

The concept of "review" bombing is weird to me.
It's user reviews, users are allowed to like/dislike a product for whatever reason they want. Want to give it a 1/10 because you don't like the cover art? that's fine.
When thinking about the average consumer who might take a peek at the reviews, it's disingenuous and makes them look bad(and at worse crazy) to that individual because they're simply looking for a decent review, not an online twitter/forum war between 1s and 10s.

Imagine if online stores like Ebay allowed people to review bomb a seller simply because they didn't like his online statements or stance on politics on social media. Their personal feelings has nothing to do with the quality of the product they were given.

2000 players ahead of you/10

This is probably the worst launch for a multiplayer game I can remember from recent memory. If Blizzard were a small company, I could be a bit more forgiving but this is nonsense…

Fbh

When thinking about the average consumer who might take a peek at the reviews, it's disingenuous and makes them look bad(and at worse crazy) to that individual because they're simply looking for a decent review, not an online twitter/forum war between 1s and 10s.

Imagine if online stores like Ebay allowed people to review bomb a seller simply because they didn't like his online statements or stance on politics on social media. Their personal feelings has nothing to do with the quality of the product they were given.

Sure but why is the issue negative disingenuous reviews instead of disingenuous reviews in general? The one line "0/10 game is trash" review is problematic but the one line "10/10 game is awesome" review isn't? It's wrong to give a game a 0/10 because you literally can't play it right now but it's ok for some console warrior to give a game a 10/10 because it's on "muh favorite console"?

The problem isn't "review bombing" as much as the fact that all these sites that allow you to review stuff with no proof of purchase are pretty much worthless. Would you trust Ebay seller reviews if they allowed anyone to review sellers even if they've never purchased anything from them? Probably not.
What I dislike about the whining of review bombing is that companies and games media only care about this deeply flawed system when it involves negative reviews.

The only decent user review system is Steam. Because you can actually see if the person owns the game and how long they have played. And you can even set filters to your like (like "only people who own the game and have played more than 20 hours").

Comandr

Haven’t been able to play at all. Every time I try to log in I just get “sorry we were unable to log you in. Time out communicating with battle.net services”

So far the game sucks.

jaysius

Banned
Hilarious it's so fucked they're taking it offline tonight.

Story
Blizzard is planning to take down the Overwatch 2 servers two times Thursday evening to implement some major fixes. The servers will go down first from 6PM to 7PM ET and then again from approximately 9PM ET to 12AM ET. If you’re playing on PC, you may have to update your client

Holy shit on their website they posted:
  • 6:00-9:00 p.m. PDT (approximately): We’re conducting significant upgrades to our databases to address player queues. Players won’t be able to access the servers during this time.
But now in the Bnet client they're saying it'll be from 6PM PDT(wtf timezone is that) until 9am PDT the next day.
Someone at Blizzard doesn't know their AM from their PM...
Bnet Forum.

What a fucking circus they're running.

Bringing your game down in the first few days for this period can really drop interest in the product.

Last edited:
Sure but why is the issue negative disingenuous reviews instead of disingenuous reviews in general? The one line "0/10 game is trash" review is problematic but the one line "10/10 game is awesome" review isn't? It's wrong to give a game a 0/10 because you literally can't play it right now but it's ok for some console warrior to give a game a 10/10 because it's on "muh favorite console"?
You're getting my stance wrong on this. I've stated twice that both are bad.

The problem isn't "review bombing" as much as the fact that all these sites that allow you to review stuff with no proof of purchase are pretty much worthless. Would you trust Ebay seller reviews if they allowed anyone to review sellers even if they've never purchased anything from them? Probably not.
Exactly, which is why I think there should be some sort of verification or moderation system within metacritic, because it's reached a point to where no one can trust user reviews just as much as official ones, maybe even less so.
What I dislike about the whining of review bombing is that companies and games media only care about this deeply flawed system when it involves negative reviews.
You're right, the system itself is broken.

The only decent user review system is Steam. Because you can actually see if the person owns the game and how long they have played. And you can even set filters to your like (like "only people who own the game and have played more than 20 hours").
Bingo. The problem is that more critic based websites need the system that steam does. It doesn't even have to be that invasive either. Literally it can just check their achievements/trophies on those services to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

YukiOnna

Story

But now in the Bnet client they're saying it'll be from 6PM PDT(wtf timezone is that) until 9am PDT the next day.
Bnet Forum.

Bringing your game down in the first few days for this period can really drop interest in the product.
It's good they're doing it. I thought it'd take way longer to get a major maintenance work on it from yesterday's post.

TheShocker

Can’t get past the start screen que. Says there are 900 players ahead of me and it hasn’t changed it quite some time.

It’s a shame these companies are adopting F2P models. They hardly ever launch correctly.

Ezekiel_

Banned
politics shitshow GIF

Portugeezer

What is all this queue nonsense at midnight on EU servers? I know it's free, but you'd think ActiBlizz would do better.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The queue stuff is beyond ridiculous at this point. They should have taken the entire thing offline on Wednesday and just relaunched it today with tons more node servers. Their excuse of trying to add additional nodes slowly to not disrupt those already in game is laughable when you have so many others trying to get in for multiple days on console.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Blizzard, the same company that could never, ever properly size an environment for the launch of a new update or expansion for WoW over nearly twenty years still can't launch a fucking online game. Or better yet, redesign their infrastructure using modern technologies and practices so they could expand compute/resources when needed.

Sojiro

Story

Bnet Forum.

9/10, best version of Overwatch yet! Complete and utter shit show. My son seemed to enjoy it for all of 30 minutes before the game forced him out and he has to sit in queue again. Maybe by the the start of next week their game will be functional 🙄

DryvBy

I can't believe this is worthy of 8+ lol. This is a patch to Overwatch 1 with such little additional content, it's not even worthy to call it an expansion pack.

Metacritic should make it mandatory for anyone posting a 1 or 10 review to type a paragraph indicating why your score is that low or high. It's rubbish that both anti-fans and fans do this and it makes user score way less credible than the verified ones.

"I launched for 3 days and couldn't get in. I can't even play Overwatch 1 because this replaced it. So far this service only game is out of service. 1/10"

Last edited:

njean777

Haven't been able to play one game, tried the last three nights. So yeah, that isn't exactly a glowing impression.

"I launched for 3 days and couldn't get in. I can't even play Overwatch 1 because this replaced it. So far this service only game is out of service. 1/10"
And what does DryvBy DryvBy suggest for this type of review after 1 month? Also regarding that Overwatch 1 comment...

It's the same game. It's being called 'Overwatch 2.0' for a reason.

Last edited:

Three

Its embarrassing the game has these online problems with acti blizz behind it, but it's not surprising.

When the servers are more stabilised, the 1 review bombing will still be there despite it being fixed.

It is review bombing no matter how you twist it.

A game that would be an 8 or a 9 shouldn't be 1 simply because there online connection problems on the first few days.
notsurprisedkirk.jpg

I would think not being able to play at all, it being Overwatch 1.5, people losing their paid stuff, and not being able to register due to not getting an SMS, is a valid dislike for a 1/10 no?

I don't agree with it but you seemed to be OK with 1/10 s before for other games:

I get it from your viewpoint.

From my viewport, I see 1/10 as an angry customer who is very unsatisfied by the game for whatever reason. Maybe the story were the only reason they played the game.

A like/dislike would might have been better, you can't really counter this.

I enjoyed new world a lot, but despite that I gave it a negative review on steam because of the errors.

While games can also be review bombed using this, its sorted easier out because its either you like it or you don't, no scores in between
This is why we no longer have a visible dislike button, because people like OP gets hurt.

This thread is the classical "what I like are masterpieces, and getting review bombed".

Cyberpunk was a buggy mess.
Bf2042 took a wrong direction already with bfv, and dice learned nothing from it and went the opposite direction of what people wants.
TLoU2 got hate not because of paid green rats down voting, but because people were mad about the story, and rightfully so.

All valid dislikes.

Stop caring about what other people think. I've played lots of games the majority hated but I liked. It's not a failure to go the opposite direction of the mainstream.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I dont have a problem with people expressing their fustration by review bombing, especially when its a technical problem preventing people from enjoying the game. The problem is though that the same people never ammend their review when the said problem gets fixed.

Its a tricky situation actually.

Agreed.

MC can never be trusted. You don't know if its a day 1 tech issue that was already resolved, something personal like Overwatch 1 users review bombing for killing the last game, something political etc. They just can't be trusted.

Three

Agreed.

MC can never be trusted. You don't know if its a day 1 tech issue that was already resolved, something personal like Overwatch 1 users review bombing for killing the last game, something political etc. They just can't be trusted.
We have a tendency to put numbers on things that can't be expressed with mere numbers. At the very least it's a snapshot of the general reception on a game overall but it never gives you the full picture.

EDMIX

We have a tendency to put numbers on things that can't be expressed with mere numbers. At the very least it's a snapshot of the general reception on a game overall but it never gives you the full picture.

This is fact.

Because software is dynamic, maybe we need a end of the generation review of some games, year in review, season 2 update etc. If something doesn't have a some No Man Sky redemption the score should reflex that.

So maybe we need a review site where that number is not based on 1 day, its based on years to judge it as a whole or something. This just doesn't work for gaming based on the nature of software.

Last edited:
Where are you all that you can't get into a game? USA?

Europe servers are fine. I've been getting into matches all morning and was playing yesterday too.

tvdaXD

Here's a review: It's horrible.

In short: Many issues, even causes BSOD. Blizzard doesn't do anything about it since, well, a BSOD can't be caused by the game. Directly? Sure, indirectly? Definitely. (More details here)
There's a reason many others are having the same issues. Imagine finding out it crashes every now and then randomly, having to get back in the queue again.
A FUCKING QUEUE?! In a videogame? The company is worth billions and can't even fix servers, even temporarily for a launch? There's no excuse for this.
And if you finally, finally get to play, it's just an update... Which didn't even improve the experience, at all.
It's a complete fail and reflects how shit the company truly is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The real story here...

Overwatch launches in 2016 and earns the most GotY awards of that year.

Blizzard spends the next 6 years adding a ton of content and improves the game via balancing and tweaks.

Overwatch 2 now has an 81 Metascore.

Multiplayer standards have raised dramatically over the last 6 years. Unprecedented.

Doom85

Where are you all that you can't get into a game? USA?

Europe servers are fine. I've been getting into matches all morning and was playing yesterday too.

USA guy here.

Maintenance had fixed the queue wait time last night. This morning, my account merge finished and everything is golden.

When I said earlier that they’d have it fixed within a week, I knew it would even faster than that. So three days, bam, I’m good. People trying to compare this to Cyberpunk or No Man’s Sky are just nuts. Those two games did not fix their major issues as quickly as THREE DAYS.

Last edited:

Fbh

So this is playable for you guys?

I tried to play 2 days ago and it would should like 10000 people in waiting in front of me and it wouldn't move. Then I tried yesterday and I can't get past the "press X" screen, I instantly get a "disconnected" message.

YukiOnna

Encountering no queues post maintenance and never encountered any disconnects on NA side here so I think I'm good. My friend, as well.

Nothing close to Endwalker's wait.

TheShocker

Was finally able to get in and merge my account. Now that it’s complete, I am locked out of all the original characters. I had even purchased the watchpoint pack, lol.

This game is about to take Halo Infinites crown as the biggest fuck up in current gaming.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

YukiOnna

WTF,
everytime I unlock an achievement, I get a disconnect from the game
It seems they're still working on it. Another short maintenance is planned at 7PM PDT

GymWolf

Isn't the game still in beta and without the pve part?

How can they review an unfinished product?

Last edited:

KiteGr

This looks and sounds like a scam.
I bought the game twice! Once for PC and once for the PS4.
If I attempt to come back now, then I'll be tossed to a Free2pay trash along with everybody ales, that asks for more money every few months. Overall a worse experience that I started with. Given that the "sequel" doesn't have enough changes to justify the number on the tittle, you have your self a scam, that force the paid customers into non-paid customers.

CuNi

I came back to play it and really enjoy it, but I feel like I won't stick around very long as I really miss the fun of opening lootboxes.
I know this sounds weird, but I really enjoyed playing the game for a few days and grind levels to have like 10+ boxes and then open them all up back to back.
This was especially fun during events, but with their new monetization this is all gone so I really don't know how this game will hook me long term.
On top, it's really disheartening to see all the stuff I "unlocked" but haven't gotten because I am not paying for a season pass.
I think the game will really break apart in 2-3 seasons when people will be forced to buy heroes of past seasons because they either joined the game later or didn't manage to unlock them.

Doom85

I think the game will really break apart in 2-3 seasons when people will be forced to buy heroes of past seasons because they either joined the game later or didn't manage to unlock them.

I might be remembering this wrong, but IIRC any hero of a battle pass will be available to everyone either one or two battle passes after they launched.

And I doubt this will be a massive issue. The game already has plenty of heroes in all roles so it’s not like new players have slim pickings. Hell, Dead by Daylight is still going strong six years later despite virtually all post launch survivors and killers being in individual chapter DLCs you have to purchase if you want all of them.

Top Bottom