• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 launches on October 4 (Early Acess | PvP going Free to Play

HTK

Banned
Downloading at 2.34 MB/s...meanwhile I have 1gb Up/Down. :/ Damn these servers are trash, usually not an issue though.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Why do you want it to fail? Just curious
Untitled.1531838613.jpg

Doom85

So I got in, but despite my Battlenet account being linked, it showed me at Level 1 with zero unlocks. Anyone else have this problem? I double checked my Battlenet account and it shows me linked to my Playstation account, so WTF.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Is this game fun?

I played the first overwatch for maybe 10 hours but just couldn’t see myself pumping dozens and dozens of hours in to it.

I’m assuming this might not be for me, it seemed like you needed to really work as a team to counter certain strategies etc. I’m more of a battlefield player……but we don’t need to talk about that franchise right now until they TRY and salvage it in a few years lol

I suppose it’s free so I have nothing to lose in trying it.

Wow, this is BS, why do people find the need to ruin everyone's experience cause they're a lil c*nt

I feel for them, not like i expected a smooth launch from a Blizzard game but this is far worse than i expected.
It's sad that some little prick has to sit there and waste not only his time but others time and ruin the fun for others with a DDOS attack. The goblin is probably sitting in his mom's basement ddosing people while jerking off to his favorite onlyfans girls because he knows his not getting any ever due to his lack of social skills and hermit dwelling behavior. Fucking moron.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So I got in, but despite my Battlenet account being linked, it showed me at Level 1 with zero unlocks. Anyone else have this problem? I double checked my Battlenet account and it shows me linked to my Playstation account, so WTF.
Their servers are on fire right now. I wouldn’t put anything that has to be read from an external server to be working correctly right now. It’s likely blizzard is just trying to get the gameplay servers online so people can get in before stuff starts working and syncing.

It asks for my phone number, fck you Blizzard.

It's optional
Can we get some anecdotal confirmation, here? What are you all finding to be the case as you're trying to play this thing?

Just talking about this with friends has already made me realize that this requirement is going to be genuinely limiting to their player count, and ultimately limiting to the money they can make off the game. Free to play games should be going for the largest audience they can get, and this just seems like a bad idea.

Reactions: BJK

Doom85

Their servers are on fire right now. I wouldn’t put anything that has to be read from an external server to be working correctly right now. It’s likely blizzard is just trying to get the gameplay servers online so people can get in before stuff starts working and syncing.

Yeah, I already read they we’re aware of the issue and were working on it. Thanks though. :)

tmlDan

Can we get some anecdotal confirmation, here? What are you all finding to be the case as you're trying to play this thing?

Just talking about this with friends has already made me realize that this requirement is going to be genuinely limiting to their player count, and ultimately limiting to the money they can make off the game. Free to play games should be going for the largest audience they can get, and this just seems like a bad idea.
I can't really answer on whether its mandatory but you should be using 2FA at all times, especially with blizzard accounts. Prior to having the app on my phone i got hacked dozens of times from people in China.

Just get the app, set up 2FA and you're in. It's so easy it shouldn't limit the number of users - most other companies are forcing 2FA on people too, it's commonplace.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR

If it gets rid of some of the crazy toxic attitudes as well as the rampant cheating I saw towards the end of OW1 I welcome it with open arms. I heard that games like warzone are starting to do this also which can only mean better in game environment for everyone if it works.

danklord

Gold Member
Enjoyed a few matches right as the doors opened but stepped away. I know the team comp change is supposed to be huge but it sure felt the same, but maybe I'm just a casual. It also hurt that in my 4 matches they were all OW1 maps.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Damn, getting DDoS’ed badly. The worst of the worst, utterly pointless cyber attack, no skill required. Maybe they’re just being unintentionally DDoS’ed as they weren’t expecting so many players 😂

ihpps4f.png

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I can't really answer on whether its mandatory but you should be using 2FA at all times, especially with blizzard accounts. Prior to having the app on my phone i got hacked dozens of times from people in China.

Just get the app, set up 2FA and you're in. It's so easy it shouldn't limit the number of users - most other companies are forcing 2FA on people too, it's commonplace.
Doing Gods work. Friends don’t let friends use single factor authentication. It should be mandatory these days in basically anything you don’t want someone else looking at.

tmlDan

Doing Gods work. Friends don’t let friends use single factor authentication. It should be mandatory these days in basically anything you don’t want someone else looking at.
Hacking is so easy and common nowadays and with now stringent blizzard is with getting your stuff back, trust me just do it lol

To get my stuff I had to take pictures of my OG copies of WoW and the CD keys on the disks to show ownership

I was on the phone for like 3 hours

Last edited:

3liteDragon

How are they still not prepared for this kind of stuff years after PoodleCorp & LizardSquad? I can't even login to the servers from my PS5, keep getting the LC-208 error. Fucking frustrating.

danklord

Gold Member
Is this game fun?

I played the first overwatch for maybe 10 hours but just couldn’t see myself pumping dozens and dozens of hours in to it.

I’m assuming this might not be for me, it seemed like you needed to really work as a team to counter certain strategies etc. I’m more of a battlefield player……but we don’t need to talk about that franchise right now until they TRY and salvage it in a few years lol

It's the exact same experience as before, but maybe it'll click this time now that you know what to expect.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Nearly trying off and on for 8 hours and can’t get in a single time. I can’t even defend them at this point.

MadPanda

Banned
I have a problem and I hope someone can help me. I start the game and it says Play trial. When I do that and get to the end of the queue it says "Sorry, the Overwatch free trial is not available at this time." What can I do? Why do I even get this error?

Yeah like 3 of my friends having this issue, and apparently many more

YukiOnna

I don't know if they fixed it for everyone, but I got a bunch of games in during my session just now. A ton of fun and fixed that annoying shield & stun meta that persisted in the first game and actually feels like an FPS. Kiriko is really nice to play, too. All the animation updates, new voice lines and icons was nice to see and check out.

I ended up playing for 3 hours without knowing lol. Nice.

Filben

After a first match:
- sounds are completely off on a stereo setup, it just outputs on both speakers no matter the location. Spacial hearing impossible
- Ultra SMAA setting is broken, it always returns back to High SMAA
- only FSR1.0
- no DLSS
(where they've been the last few months?)
- really low subpixel resolution, looks way more low-res on 1440p than it should
- only 4k resolution gives a good enough image quality
- because FXAA/SMAA is shit and there's no temporal anti-aliasing option, so every edge shimmers like a sun's reflection on water

Reduced some other graphic settings to get 60fps on 4k because 4k is a must without proper anti-aliasing.

I'm seriously disappointed by the tech. Image quality is way worse than in OW1, not to mention the audio design.

Can't say anything in regards of its gameplay because I've played only one match. Seems it's practically OW1.

Ogbert

It’s alright.

I still find Overwatch to be too busy. There’s just too much going on. Definitely for the kids.

Will try PvE when it releases.

Lmao I'm seeing people repoet that if you have a budget phone carrier in the US like Cricket or MetroPCS the game won't accept your phone number.

rubenburgt

I really don't understand how this took them so many years.

Sure, they were also working on the PvE part, which isn't finished either, but c'mon. They didn't released any new content during these years of development, and this is what they deliver? It's extremely buggy and unbalanced.

How can anyone defend this?

Mitsurux

It was a mess trying to get in/on to play last night, but this morning I was able to get on and play a few games will little delay.

It really feels more like Overwatch 1.5 instead of a full sequel. The New heroes seem cool, some of the changes to existing characters are..um.. interesting.

At the rate that they give out EXP for winning (or losing) it will take forever to earn anything via the BP (But i guess thats the point eh?)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Finally got in this morning. Game feels great. No bugs at all for me, have all my shit from OW1, tons of modes to play, turning the graphics to frame rate made the game buttery smooth on series X. Pretty much couldn’t ask for more.

Sorry people aren’t having fun playing an upgraded version of #1 for free 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I say all this and the server shit from yesterday creeps back in now on me after 3 hours of games. The game is fine, the servers are hot trash right now.

Last edited:
I tried playing this and saw that it said 100,000 players in front of my queue. F that. Uninstalled.
This isn't true, for whatever reason that number will fluctuate like crazy then you'll be logging in, by the time I went to sleep at 2 am I could exit and be back in in 15 min max

Also yeah the only way to get coins it seems is weekly challenges and buying them with real money. And it looks like you can earn like only 50 coins a week IF you beat all the challenges

Can do you one better. Blizzard won’t accept my phone number, because my carrier (Cricket Wireless) has pre-pay plans. Contacted support, and they…just don’t care enough to let me play their f2p game, which I had been playing for the better part of the past 5 years.
The good news is after getting loads of backlash, people who have played in the last year or so aren't going to have to provide a phone number anymore. The change is expected to go live sometime on Friday.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Is this game fun?

What you think is completely right. An organized team will just steamroll randoms, that said the player base is big enough that the SBMM should keep things somewhat on the level but you will see what I mean when the matchmaking screws up and you get crushed.

If you played old PC battlefield games though this scenario should be pretty well known to you as they tended to become really one sided, especially before the squad size limits.

is it fun, yes and no, Blizard tinkers with balance changes a lot and kind of wrecks the game for casual players IMO. I play solo queue (unranked)and get enough unbalanced games that it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It’s not just a losing streak either because I can have those in Battlefield 2042 or Siege or COD and it doesn’t irritate as much as this game which was why I quit OVERWATCH a year or so ago. When the game is good it can be really something unique and unlike anything out there except Team Fortress 2.

wipeout364 wipeout364 All of the journalists, streamers, casual interested types, newbies, and young kids are currently trying out the game because it's free now. Because of that there's a much higher likelihood that you will get coinflip quality matches until they're either filtered out, move on to a different game, or move on to arcade mode, which is what I've been having fun with since unlocking it.

There were a few times where I legitimately thought that there were level 1 bots on my team with how much they just ran into battle in a single line one by one.

Madjaba

Played it a little yesterday but I'm being kicked everytime I unlock an achievement on Series X, I've seen it's a known issue so I'm waiting for a fix...

I'm not an Overwatch Veteran, maybe played like 50 hours on the first one but the overall changes of the game are not very apparent apart from obvious ones like new character or map (and team number obviously).

It's as enjoyable as it was when I last played it meaning that you can have very pleasant games or you can get steamrolled by the other team with people on your side disconnecting / quitting...

It's the usual Overwatch flavour, it's sole chance of surviving is that it is now F2P.

Last edited:

kubricks

Play for a bit last night, overall it really is just ow1.5.

I mostly play tank and support, I noticed the ttk is even longer than ow1, can someone explain to me what's going on lol.

And oh, I very much missed tank duo like rein with zarya, and dva with Winston. They should have rebalance the heros and its shields to make everyone more dpsy, instead of changing to 5v5.

played it a bit and i guess it's alright. i haven't actually played Overwatch for a while so not sure what changes they made over the last year or so compared to whatever 2 brings. to me it feels like a major patch with lots of QoL stuff in it rather than a full on sequel. it's more or less just the same as i remember. it being 5v5 doesn't seem to change how it plays. i know it means there is 1 tank, 2 attack, 2 support which i think itself is fine but i can't really tell how it affects the gameplay. i suppose it feels a little less chaotic and perhaps a tiny bit slower paced? i could be imagining it though.

the battle pass system is what it is... but i feel like you don't get much experience and that was me picking a role with extra XP. i reckon i'll need to play about 10 games to level up once. i can't see myself playing it enough to get most of the battle pass content.

i'll keep playing it for now and see how it goes but i'm not really feeling much of a change to bring me back to how often i played it in 2016/2017.

Braag

It's been a year since I last played Overwatch. So I jumped into this to give it a try. Went to quick play role queue and wanted to see how my boy McCree Cassidy plays these days. It said <3 min when I went to the queue.
So I waited.... and waited.... and waited...

KfQT0It.jpg

Around 20 min mark I gave up. Seems like it'll be a while until you can actually get into games without turning into a corpse waiting.

Doom85

It's been a year since I last played Overwatch. So I jumped into this to give it a try. Went to quick play role queue and wanted to see how my boy McCree Cassidy plays these days. It said <3 min when I went to the queue.
So I waited.... and waited.... and waited...

KfQT0It.jpg

Around 20 min mark I gave up. Seems like it'll be a while until you can actually get into games without turning into a corpse waiting.

Do you have cross play enabled? That usually helps lower the wait quite a bit.

20+ minutes is surprising, longest I’ve waited was 7 minutes so far.

Top Bottom