• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 launches on October 4 (Early Acess | PvP going Free to Play

Draugoth

Gold Member
Overweatch 2 early access on October 4, 2022

FVEahY8XEAESOUJ

Overwatch 2 is launching in early access with dynamic new PvP content releasing on Windows® PC and Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, and Nintendo Switch™ consoles on October 4,

Last edited:

rubenburgt

This game will fail massively.
I'm calling it.

• It's free to play meaning it will have a ton of microtransactions. (Diablo Immortal anyone?)
  • The entire roster are rebalanced, and Overwatch 1 is already notoriously known for having terrible balancing. (They recently stated that their balancing is indeed biased.)
This will be a mess.

Doom85

Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

Also, that bit with the spirit fox, is that an ability of the (unseen so far) 3rd new character? WAY back when 2 was announced, GameInformer got a super quick look at the silhouettes of 5 new heroes and one of them had a fox by their side.

Last edited:
I'm calling it.

• It's free to play meaning it will have a ton of microtransactions. (Diablo Immortal anyone?)
  • The entire roster are rebalanced, and Overwatch 1 is already notoriously known for having terrible balancing. (They recently stated that their balancing is indeed biased.)
This will be a mess.

I agree with this, free to play will kill this game.

Salz01

I kind of wish they would call out exactly what will be available. Like heroes maps and modes. I mean early access can mean so much at this point…

Flintty

I'm calling it.

This will be a mess.

I expect microtransactions will be a mix of what Overwatch already does and the inclusion of a battle pass, plus the option to unlock the PvE modes from within the game using game currency. So, not a complete disaster if you just want to play PvP.

I agree with the balancing though, but I have heard good things about the change in team size.

I love OW. I have sunk hundreds of hours on PC and Switch since launch. So, I was excited at first to see an actual launch date, only to be immediately disappointed by the fact it's "early access". Sigh... we've been waiting so long for this game, and it just feels like they are releasing the game in "early access" (aka unfinished) because they need to get something out. Well, I guess I'll wait on a final verdict until I see the official reveal this Thursday. The free-to-play scheme can go two ways: either it will be fair or a riddled microtransaction pay-to-win mess. As long as they don't monetize the heroes or gameplay stuff, I will be OK with it. If all they are monetizing are cosmetics, then I don't care and welcome it. I can only hope they don't get greedy, but I don't trust Blizzard anymore. I'm hoping for the best here

nikos

One of my most anticipated games this year. The first beta was really good. I prefer it over the original, which I still find to be a lot of fun. F2P will be a good way to increase player base, and I'm pretty confident loot boxes will continue to only unlock cosmetic items. Seeing "early access" was a bit disappointing, but I played the beta so much with absolutely nothing to gain but a good time.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The new character shown today looks horrible imho. I’m thinking I’ll just stick with OW1 whenever I occasionally play

Doom85

unknown.png

Perfection.
Everything is forgiven, ALL HAIL THE DIVERSITY CHAT!!!

Lawyer Seriously GIF by Law Office of Robert Eckard

She’s the JUNKERTOWN Queen. Of course she would have a Mad Max style look. I mean, who the fuck looked at Junkrat and Roadhog and thought, “I bet the women where they’re from look like generic Victoria Secret models.”

Unless you know little about the Overwatch world and just looked for any excuse to scream “woke”, ”diversity”, “SJW”, (insert other Gaf cliches here). Got to play the hits I suppose even when it makes zero sense.

Lethal01

Lawyer Seriously GIF by Law Office of Robert Eckard

She’s the JUNKERTOWN Queen. Of course she would have a Mad Max style look. I mean, who the fuck looked at Junkrat and Roadhog and thought, “I bet the women where they’re from look like generic Victoria Secret models.”

Unless you know little about the Overwatch world and just looked for any excuse to scream “woke”, ”diversity”, “SJW”, (insert other Gaf cliches here). Got to play the hits I suppose even when it makes zero sense.

Bro, I was just saying she's hot, that's literally all.
When I said perfection, I meant perfection. buff girls rule
All hail the chart.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
There's a new PVE story mode. That part isn't F2P.

They only sold cosmetics via loot boxes and you could even earn those just from playing every day.

they could have let you just buy what you wanted, it all being loot boxes is what made it suck.

EDMIX

I never cared for Overwatch as it just looked like a great value Team Fortress, but more woke lol

This is one of those situations where saying something is free to play is more bad then good. An easy pass, but was never going to buy it anyway so.....its hard for me to see what people like in it, but I get why someone would like it and I get why the hardcore would want it day 1 or something.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

GameSpot sat down with game director Aaron Keller to discuss Blizzard’s new approach to Overwatch 2, which builds upon its predecessor to become a free-to-play, live-service game.

00:40 - What's the mood of the team all these years into development and coming off the alpha?

01:34 - What were your key objectives for Overwatch 2, and have they changed now the game is quite different?

02:36 - How do you think of Overwatch 2, given that you've presented it in a way that is now different from the initial pitch?

05:25 - How did the shift in vision and going free-to-play impact development and how did the Overwatch team adjust?

06:27 - Are there plans to change how you're going to be communicating with the community?

07:42 - You mentioned the cosmetics and new things coming to the store. Can you talk about the decision to lose loot boxes?

08:37 - For a lot of people the loot boxes were the proverbial carrot on the stick. What becomes that now for players?

09:03 - There's also Mythic skins. How are they going to work?

10:04 - What's the rollout of these going to be?

10:15 - Speaking of the new heroes, can you talk about Junker Queen?

12:03 - How feasible is a new hero every two seasons from a design, development, and production perspective and are you locked into [that timing]?

13:04 - The introduction of a new hero every two seasons also has major implications on the metagame. Are you pre-planning meta changes as well as pre-planning new characters?

14:26 - So the first roadmap is going to be for a year. How long internally have you planned out for?

15:32 - Is there any scope for creating some sort of system where large groups and Overwatch friend circles will be able to still play together?

17:19 - For many PvP and PvE to thee was the complete package for Overwatch 2. Can you talk about the decision to decouple them?

18:48 - You showed off a new origin story and cinematic. Now that you have a PvE component, are we going to be seeing more stuff like that within the PvE?

20:09 - Can you tell us about the new map coming in the beta?

22:53 - There's the cadence for hero release. Is there any sort of cadence with regard to adding new maps or even new modes to the game?

23:36 - Overwatch as a game is being developed by Blizzard, which is owned by Activision Blizzard, and there are things that are happening within the industry that are [then] associated with the team, and the conversation that needs to happen for people like us who love Overwatch and are so excited is how do we reconcile that excitement with what is going on with the parent company? So we have to try and ask for a transparent look at what the Overwatch development team is currently like.

kubricks

Enjoyed OW1 greatly, not a fan of turning 5v5, the new characters looks like shit, but I will see how it goes.

If anything I am more interested in the PvM. Can it manage to match the kind of fun from L4D?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a Reddit AMA, it became clear what the future of Overwatch will look like. Game director Aaron Keller explained the game's Early Access label and confirmed that it will replace the original Overwatch. Of course, Overwatch 2 will be free-to-play, so it makes it very accessible and won't split the player base. It seems like the Overwatch 2 roadmap suggests that the game will have a much more clear cut, sustainable live service future in comparison to the first game, meaning this may be a chance for the series to start anew and rectify some mistakes.

"We're using the term 'Early Access' to indicate this is just the start of many new things coming to the game," Keller said. "We're launching with new heroes, maps, and features, but there are even more of these coming seasonally—every nine weeks. We recently released a roadmap detailing some of this content, with a new hero coming in Seasons 1 and 2, and a new map in Season 2. Additionally, larger pieces of the game that have always been a part of the vision for OW2 will be released to the game as part of the live service, including the launch of the PvE campaign next year. When OW2 launches on October 4, it will be a replacement for the current Live Service."

Fuz

Banned
I had a ton of fun in OW1 and hope this game does well though the beta of OW2 juts felt like DLC

But being F2P I am 100% going this a serious run
Oh, I bloody loved the "first phase" of Overwatch. I didn't have so much fun with a multiplayer FPS since Quake 2.

But this shit needs to fail.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh, I bloody loved the "first phase" of Overwatch. I didn't have so much fun with a multiplayer FPS since Quake 2.

But this shit needs to fail.
Main reason I disagree is I like the F2P model

If the game is good I will throw some money at it if it sucks I wont but let me give it a good run and not charge me $70 before I see if its shit or not

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I wish more hero shooters would take the shatter line/black ops 4 approach:

You have your own load out with locked hero abilities.

Can't stand my favorite hero has some shit tier main weapon or I'm stuck with some shit hero with crap weapons because my favorite ones are taken.

jorgejjvr

I reinstalled my copy of ow1. Still says PS4, will this magically tomorrow get an update and also have a ps5 option, or how does that work?

To clarify, I inserted my ow1 ps4 disc into my ps5

I care because I believe ow2 can do 120fps on ps5

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I reinstalled my of ow1. Still says PS4, will this magically tomorrow get an update and also have a ps5 option, or how does that work?

You'll find out your answer tomorrow.

Just install the game it's free.

FUBARx89

I reinstalled my of ow1. Still says PS4, will this magically tomorrow get an update and also have a ps5 option, or how does that work?

I'd imagine the ps4 version will just update to the ps4 version, then you'll have an option to download the ps5 version like you do for upgrades.

jorgejjvr

So maybe a different download option in the store? I reinstalled my copy because I believe I get to keep my characters or something by already having the game

hlm666

I wish more hero shooters would take the shatter line/black ops 4 approach:

You have your own load out with locked hero abilities.

Can't stand my favorite hero has some shit tier main weapon or I'm stuck with some shit hero with crap weapons because my favorite ones are taken.
Part of the strategy in overwatch is being to able to identify the classes in the battle and then make the right play. Like flanking one of the healers and they pull out a shotgun and out dps the dps class, they can't balance it already custom loadouts would be a shitshow.

Top Bottom