• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 Development Moving “Really Slow”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In one of his recent streams, Metro – who has had a solid track record with Overwatch-related leaks – said that Overwatch 2’s development is moving “really slow”. He states that Blizzard are planning on delaying the game internally, and that it’s still a long ways off.

Recently, Blizzard’s Jeff Kaplan said that Overwatch 2 was still a long ways off, so Metro’s comments certainly do fall in line with what’s been officially said. This isn’t officially confirmed, of course, so take this with a grain of salt, but fans of the series will no doubt be disappointed, especially considering the fact that updates for the first game have been far more infrequent in recent years.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This game was always strange for me - you have a GAAS game, just improve on it. Reminds me of the time Bungie shipped Destiny 2, I do not know if it was considered a mistake or maybe they wanted to fix the first game, build on top of that for years to come and decided it’s better and easier to just reboot with ‘2’ in the titles. Is it the same case with Overwatch?

Mista

Banned
They must be struggling on how to make the game fun and worth playing after the first month.
Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy

GamingKaiju

Overwatch was brill for the first few months than the Toxicity, lack of team play and team balance started to creep in. I haven’t touched OW in years I’ll keep an eye on this but not hoping for much

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's nothing to Overwatch 2 to Overwatch.

It's such a finely tuned game that there's nothing to grow into. Blizzard should just keep adding content to Overwatch and get that team started on a new multiplayer game.

MiguelItUp

For me, Overwatch was fun for a couple of weeks and then I never touched it again.

I really don't understand how they could push it to a sequel and make it better and even more enticing.

I'd honestly prefer a new IP over this.

bbeach123

Its fun if it go full casual .

Ranked , meta and esport cause cancer . Everyone busy flaming each other and try to unfun the game instead of having fun .

Zeroing

Banned
Overwatch was fun but not a game that can make someone play for months, unless you get into the trap that you need more skins for your characters. I was expecting the second will be like that.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
There's nothing to Overwatch 2 to Overwatch.

It's such a finely tuned game that there's nothing to grow into. Blizzard should just keep adding content to Overwatch and get that team started on a new multiplayer game.
This. They should of treated overwatch like RB6Siege.
Take the base game and keep expanding and improving on it. OW2 simply isn’t needed.

TheContact

Surprised this is tagged as a rumor. Overwatch came out in may of 2016 and that was the last game blizz released. The blizz we grew up with is a ghost. I’m excited to see the former stars do their own thing though. Hopefully Kaplan finds a home at smallish gaming company and helps them succeed. Tigole biddies.

whattheduck

Banned
This. They should of treated overwatch like RB6Siege.
Take the base game and keep expanding and improving on it. OW2 simply isn’t needed.
As a longtime OW fan, I think this is a really low bar you want to set. Who knows if Blizz can live up to promises and make the sequel as badass as it sounds on paper, but we are talking about the following:

- Entirely updated engine (affecting everything from graphics, gameplay, to sound).
- PVE co-op campaign with lore galore, cutscenes, set pieces etc.
- Apparently a large amount of repeatable co-op missions outside of the campaign.
- An expanded cast of AI opponents with their own unique traits and challenges.
- Revised role traits; potentially a fresh flow and feel to the game's combat encounters as a result
- Fairly significant skill trees to progress through and readapt; build experimentation for every single hero.
- Multiple new maps.
- Multiple new heroes.
- A new core PVP game mode (maybe more to be revealed)
- Surely new arcade / casual modes (probably including one which implements the PVE skill tree stuff for goofy PVP fun)
- Overhauled UI and menus.
- Overhauled sound design.
- Revised monetization to move away from loot boxes (not a gameplay thing but we all know it's important); F2P likely.

So I'd say there's quite a lot going on here to warrant the '2' - original OW has limitations, and that's only become more and more apparent as time goes on. Saying they should just stick to those limitations for OW1 and be done with it is grossly undervaluing the potential for the series.

I still love Overwatch, but I'm glad Blizz seem to be approaching this sequel with some real ambition to make good on many of the game's inadequacies. Expanded lore and a proper co-op campaign alone are two MASSIVE aspects that people were asking for before the original game even launched.

Let's just hope it all pays off...!

Last edited:

whattheduck

Banned
Overwatch 2 is apparently really ambitious to some people.
Or maybe the people who say what they've proposed amounts to "Overwatch 1.5" have very limited imaginations and understandings of game dev, and are more than likely just following an anti-Blizzard narrative because it's trendy to do so.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
As a longtime OW fan, I think this is a really low bar you want to set. Who knows if Blizz can live up to promises and make the sequel as badass as it sounds on paper, but we are talking about the following:

- Entirely updated engine (affecting everything from graphics, gameplay, to sound).
- Apparently a large amount of repeatable co-op missions outside of the campaign.
- Revised role traits; potentially a fresh flow and feel to the game's combat encounters as a result
- Fairly significant skill trees to progress through and readapt; build experimentation for every single hero.
- Multiple new maps.
- Multiple new heroes.
- Surely new arcade / casual modes (probably including one which implements the PVE skill tree stuff for goofy PVP fun)
- Revised monetization to move away from loot boxes (not a gameplay thing but we all know it's important); F2P likely.

So I'd say there's quite a lot going on here to warrant the '2' - original OW has limitations, and that's only become more and more apparent as time goes on. Saying they should just stick to those limitations for OW1 and be done with it is grossly undervaluing the potential for the series.

I still love Overwatch, but I'm glad Blizz seem to be approaching this sequel with some real ambition to make good on many of the game's inadequacies. Expanded lore and a proper co-op campaign alone are two MASSIVE aspects that people were asking for before the original game even launched.

Let's just hope it all pays off...!

That’s a fair argument. I think I’ve just been let down by so many sequels that I’ve lost faith in so many devs.

We invest so much time in to these games just for a no-brainier sequel to be released and totally ruin any good will from the previous game. To top that any Character progression doesn’t normally carry over.

There’s too many to list here but recent examples would be:

Division 2
Destiny 2
Warcraft 3 Reforged
Every Wow expansion since WotLK - Shadowlands I enjoy mind
Diablo 3

I really enjoyed OW l, so hopefully they pull OW2 off 👍.

whattheduck

Banned
That’s a fair argument. I think I’ve just been let down by so many sequels that I’ve lost faith in so many devs.

We invest so much time in to these games just for a no-brainier sequel to be released and totally ruin any good will from the previous game. To top that any Character progression doesn’t normally carry over.

There’s too many to list here but recent examples would be:

Division 2
Destiny 2
Warcraft 3 Reforged
Every Wow expansion since WotLK - Shadowlands I enjoy mind
Diablo 3

I really enjoyed OW l, so hopefully they pull OW2 off 👍.
For sure, I understand that. I mean, there's many ways these promises could fall flat. Maybe the campaign is 3 hours long and is boring as hell. Maybe the new maps and heroes suck. Maybe the new role traits ruin the pace of combat. And so on and so forth...

I suppose we just gotta wait and see. But fundamentally, on paper I think there's reason to be excited for OW2 as a fully fledged sequel. I feel like if everything comes together smoothly enough, it will be a sequel in the best sense possible: an expansion on the original game that greatly improves on the formula and underlying vision while also adding way more content.

betrayal

Banned

- Multiple new maps.
- Multiple new heroes.

And these are only the things that are obvious to everyone at first glance. They also re-record the complete sound, all animations are redone and improved, and much more.

If you look at a single character, they often have a lot more work put into them than other AAA titles.

MaKTaiL

Overwatch 2 is a complete mistake IMO. They can easily update the first game and add to it like they've been doing for years. The fact that OW1 players will be able to play with OW2 players just shows how useless a second game is. They just want to cash in like it is something new when it is not. They could sell the single player campaign as DLC.

elliot5

Overwatch 2 is a complete mistake IMO. They can easily update the first game and add to it like they've been doing for years. The fact that OW1 players will be able to play with OW2 players just shows how useless a second game is. They just want to cash in like it is something new when it is not. They could sell the single player campaign as DLC.
That's what it is. It's just given a name of 2. Like destiny 2 basically

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have over 100 hours in Overwatch myself, but they need to cancel the sequel and go completely back to the drawing board.

MaKTaiL

That's what it is. It's just given a name of 2. Like destiny 2 basically
I was gonna use Destiny 2 as an example too but I was too afraid of backlash here, hahahaha. But that's basically what I think too. Destiny 2 didn't need to be made. They used the "it's a new engine excuse" but we all know it's the same engine with some tweaks that could be easily patched in. They wanted to cash in the PC version and basically split the whole player base in the end. Destiny 1 was one of my favorite games past gen but I swore to never spend money on Destiny ever again when D2 came out.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/b...lawsuit-and-the-future-of-the-league-1642147/

For many franchisees, there were now two glimmers of hope. The first, obviously, was a return to normality once the pandemic restrictions could be lifted. The second was the release of Overwatch 2, which according to the sources we spoke with, had become synonymous with a hard reset of the league and a potential resurgence of enthusiasm among fans for the IP. When rumors started to circulate that the game was going to face delays, the team owners wanted to know how long realistically that would be the case. On August 7, the reputed Overwatch insider Metro spoke publicly about these rumors, stating that “from what I can gather a release in 2022 does not seem likely anymore.”
An internal Activision Blizzard source told Dexerto this was incorrect and added that getting the game out as soon as possible was now a high priority.
“We’re more than aware we need to get it out,” they said.“So the word is the dev team has been told to lock in the features the game has, get it fixed and get it shipped. We’re looking to get it out before the Summer of 2022.”
Another source, a member of franchise management, also corroborated this version of events.
“We’ve all been told that the aim is Q2 of next year,” they informed us. “The timing of the release will factor in the league schedule because obviously they don’t want to switch game versions in the middle of a season.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom