• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overused internet phrases that annoy you

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"thank to all the fans"
It always annoys me. This is always used by developers and creators in their posts.
Often in respond to people reporting bugs or complaining about a shit game.
Then the dev or publisher is like "We are thankful for fans who are this passionate".
! NO ! Consumer =/= fan. Fan is someone who really loves your game, buys posters and have room wallpapered with it.

I am not sure why and I can't explain but I just don't like overuse of "fan" :p

Last edited:
(big) oof/yikes.

iu

I actually hear this in real life more than on the internet, but the baby talk thing fucking drains my soul. "Kiddos" for "children," "pup" for "dog" (I even had a coworker use "pupper" once). We don't need to infantilize everything.

Also, related to this, I don't give a shit about what your dog looks like or how it eats its food or where it sleeps.

I actually hear this in real life more than on the internet, but the baby talk thing fucking drains my soul. "Kiddos" for "children," "pup" for "dog" (I even had a coworker use "pupper" once). We don't need to infantilize everything.

Also, related to this, I don't give a shit about what your dog looks like or how it eats its food or where it sleeps.
Add doggo to that and "good boye" too. I suppose these are people that talk about their pets like "they're my children".

Add doggo to that and "good boye" too. I suppose these are people that talk about their pets like "they're my children".
These people are called Redditors. Cringe af when they refer to themselves as "mommy" and "daddy" while speaking for their "child". No wonder we're dying out :messenger_expressionless:

Ballthyrm

Something -> "is the best ever" -> description

Nothing that ever was or ever will be, will be the "best ever" at anything.
It only tells me that either the person has a very shallow description of a category or they haven't done their homework and barely know anything.

Trying to categorize subjective art is a pointless act that consist mostly of putting your unfounded nostalgia in arbitrary order.

Last edited:
When some says something along the lines of "I swear down bruv". My brain automatically switches off.

Or when someone chooses not to call someone by there full name and says "Ste" instead of Steve, Stephen.

jean yves drool GIF by Charlie Mars

Ionian

When some says something along the lines of "I swear down bruv". My brain automatically switches off.

Or when someone chooses not to call someone by there full name and says "Ste" instead of Steve, Stephen.

jean yves drool GIF by Charlie Mars

100% drives me mental. Depends on the person though.

Then again I have a mate whose name is Nicholas and I call him Nicky or Nick.

(big) oof/yikes.

iu
As if "oof" and "yikes" weren't already annoying, they have to add "big" as a qualifier. Is there a "little" oof/yikes? 🤔

Ending your post in “/s” is lame as fuck and you’re weak for doing it
I would generally agree with this, but I'm an internet world where things are getting more ridiculous, it's hard to tell sarcasm from a serious statement.

based/cringe

If you ever feel like using either of those, listen to Your Emotions by Dead Kennedys instead.
I agree with these. What does "based" even mean? As for cringe -- I'm sure it has legitimate uses, but as with many things on the internet, it's being overused to hell and back.

A lot of tumblrisms get on my nerves. "This is what we're not gonna do." "Oh you sweet summer child." "Louder for the people in the back."

But 👏 the 👏 absolute 👏 worst 👏 is 👏 when 👏 they 👏 use 👏 the 👏 goddamn 👏 clapping 👏 emoji 👏 between 👏 every 👏 fucking 👏 word! 👏

That's true, although I thought "y'all" is a real thing used by people from the Southern United States (and maybe even Southwest)?
giphy.gif

Yes, it's always been a saying down here in the south. Everyone I know born and raised in Louisiana says it when referring to a group of people.

Last edited:

Horatius

giphy.gif

Yes, it's always been a saying down here in the south. Everyone I know born and raised in Louisiana says it when referring to a group of people.
yeah but sjws took it and ruined it

they say yall and folks because they want to sound like theyre black and for some reason that's fine even though blatantly kind of racist

Last edited:

Tschumi

I'm annoyed at myself when I put too many "like"s in a sentence

"What I'm saying is that this game is, like, hugely overrated" why when i type do i often sound like, like, a 14 year old girl?

Ps. Sus means suspect or suspicious, it's been used in Australia for decades.. i personally never use it but yeah

Last edited:

Ionian

I'm annoyed at myself when I put too many "like"s in a sentence

"What I'm saying is that this game is, like, hugely overrated" why when i type do i often sound like, like, a 14 year old girl?

Ps. Sus means suspect it suspicious, it's been used in Australia for decades.. i personally never use it but yeah

Yup sus is ancient, didn't even first appear on the internet. As mentioned was popular when I was a kid, I'm in my 40's.

Someone must haave been living under a rock to not know that.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Came here to post this.

People only do it because it's trendy. It's a southern thing, but everyone does it on social media to fit in.
Not me. Sometimes I type out “you guys…” or “you guys and girls” or “ahem, ladies and gentlemen..”, before I just say fuck it and type “y’all”.
It’s easy, efficient, and harmless.

Ionian

Not me. Sometimes I type out “you guys…” or “you guys and girls” or “ahem, ladies and gentlemen..”, before I just say fuck it and type “y’all”.
It’s easy, efficient, and harmless.
Can always just say 'all' or 'everyone'. Guess it depends on the conversation though.

Someone will always be offended anyway.

QSD

LOL ok I never even owned a Nintendo, nor have I ever seen this montage of horribly acted advertisements... I just remember a time when 50% of the responses to a new game announcement were the aforementioned phrase, which is clearly not something to be uttered aloud anymore these days on Neogaf :messenger_fearful:

Top Bottom