• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 50,000 Japanese users vote for their favorite console games in TV Asahi poll – Top 100 announced

noshten

Splatoon 2 & Splatoon are the defining games for a new generation of gamers in Japan, hell Splatoon 2 was #1 popular choice among 10-20 year old girls ahead of New Horizon - that's definitely not something I'd expect. If they do the same survey in a few years the three Splatoons are likely all going to rank very high again and one might even take the top spot. If you look at the actual demographics young people probably named 10 Switch games while DQV was basically the top choice for the old generation.

With Splatoon 3 launching next year in Japan you best prepare yourself for a new entry into the history books for the franchise. Its going to be madness in Japan and probably rest of East Asia like we haven't seen since New Horizon.

But this is the forum that expected Splatoon to do W101 numbers, so not surprised with a lot of the replies here

Last edited:
Splatoon 2 & Splatoon are the defining games for a new generation of gamers in Japan, hell Splatoon 2 was #1 popular choice among 10-20 year old girls ahead of New Horizon - that's definitely not something I'd expect. If they do the same survey in a few years the three Splatoons are likely all going to rank very high again and one might even take the top spot. If you look at the actual demographics young people probably named 10 Switch games while DQV was basically the top choice for the old generation.

With Splatoon 3 launching next year in Japan you best prepare yourself for a new entry into the history books for the franchise. Its going to be madness in Japan and probably rest of East Asia like we haven't seen since New Horizon.

But this is the forum that expected Splatoon to do W101 numbers, so not surprised with a lot of the replies here

This is not a pro-Nintendo forum. Last survey I did, only 5% said Nintendo is their preferred gaming system

Thaedolus

There’s no “all time” list that will never not piss a bunch of people off, especially one that ranks Final Fantasies X and VII above VI…

…but Breath of the Wild is real fuckin good, suck on it haters bwahahahahaa

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
No Halo?

hold up drake GIF

There’s no “all time” list that will never not piss a bunch of people off, especially one that ranks Final Fantasies X and VII above VI…

…but Breath of the Wild is real fuckin good, suck on it haters bwahahahahaa

BOTW is a masterpiece, it's one of the, if not THE greatest game of all time

Every time a list about japan comes out I am reminded japan has terrible taste in gaming.
Well yeah, it's a kinda weird list, but those lists coming out from the west aren't great either.

I guess we could only agree with our own lists. :)

Btw Dragon Quest V is an amazing game and everybody should play it.

Last edited:
This is like if you polled a random 50,000 in the US. Half the list would be stuff like Fortnite, Call of Duty, Dark Souls, and Madden.

Number 1 is the only one that got the right position.
I think we'd do much better...tbh BOTW might come out at number one...fortnite would be in the top 100 but not top 20. Bloodbourne would be up there too...strong ass cult following.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I do not understand Japanese culture and that makes me angry.
One thing to keep in mind is that honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. In Japan, when you screw someone else over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

At least this one doesn’t have fucking Undertale ranked higher than Chrono Trigger and every Final Fantasy (and every other JRPG for that matter)

Holy shit, i haven't noticed that they put it on the 20th place. I get that it has relatively unique storytelling and semi-decent writing, but damn. It plays worse than some NES games i can name, haha. What an odd pick.

I perused the list, and it's completely console-centric, western-focused and biased towards extremely popular titles, with less than a handful of exceptions. No sights of Heroes of Might & Magic III, or Planescape fucking Torment. Two examples that transcend the medium and have not "aged" because a) [In the case of HoMMIII] there is nothing better than it in its respective genre, and b) [In the case of PS:T] There is no video game in existence that comes even close to the high quality of the writing pertaining to its story, characters and how well they are interwoven in its design.

No other adventure games apart from like a couple safe picks i can see (that they obviously haven't played, and are there because they're painfully obvious to mention and borderline mandatory for any public "professional" list). Or a visual novel. Or a shmup, not one single one? They were a revolution in the arcades, and Radiant Silvergun is one of the best games ever made because it's almost endlessly replayable and eternally fun. Hm, what about a fighting game? .. Ok, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Street Fighter II, safest picks one can possibly make - though i'm surprised they didn't go with Melee.

It's fine, whatever, like i said - My list is better than yours - by that i mean that it's completely subjective.

Borderlands 2
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Final Fantasy VII
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
Burnout 3: Takedown
Fallout 2
League of Legends
Mega Man 3
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Thief II: The Metal Age
SimCity 2000
Inside
Titanfall 2
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
Monster Hunter: World
Resident Evil 2 (Remake)
System Shock 2
Mortal Kombat 11
Persona 5 Royal
Dark Souls
Fortnite
Fable 2
GoldenEye 007
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Spelunky 2
Return of the Obra Dinn
Dota 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Donkey Kong
The Sims 3
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
Silent Hill 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
XCOM 2
Control
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham City
Dishonored 2
The Witness
Journey
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Overwatch
Apex Legends
Hollow Knight
Ms. Pac-Man
Counter-Strike 1.6
Left 4 Dead 2
EarthBound
Diablo II
StarCraft
World of Warcraft
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy VI
Pokémon Yellow
Metroid Prime
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last of Us Part 2
Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid
Sid Meier’s Civilization IV
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Minecraft
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life
Final Fantasy XIV
Doom
Tetris
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Half-Life: Alyx
God of War
Chrono Trigger
Portal
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Bros.
Undertale
Bloodborne
BioShock
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Halo 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Hades
Grand Theft Auto V
Super Mario Bros. 3
Disco Elysium
Half-Life 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Super Mario 64
Mass Effect 2
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Portal 2
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

But you are right, it's definitely worse than Japan's list. By a mile, haha.

Lethal01

The severe lack of western games specifically Wrpgs and FPS's means this is one of the most accurate lists out there.

Kagey K

Banned
Every time a list about japan comes out I am reminded japan has terrible taste in gaming.
Yet these are the people and games many in gaming look up to and aspire to be.

Fucking gross.

Anyone that cries about Japan being less relevant in the market only needs to look at this list to understand why.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Surprised about the total lack of tentpole western titles, like wtf are you even doing Japan?!

Kagey K

Banned

Fucking gross.

Anyone that cries about Japan being less relevant in the market only needs to look at this list to understand why.
Don't feel empathy for me Longcat Longcat feel bad for those Japanese players buying tgier way to the top.

They are the ones that need the help.

Fucking gross.

LOL…..their gamers just have different taste, nothing wrong with that

In term of relevance,
- their gaming industry is still the largest in the world per capita wise.
- Average Japanese gamer, still spend more than average gamer in any other country
- Sony, MS still depend on many Japanese publishers for their library, without them, PlayStation and XBox would be dead

Last edited:
Top Bottom