• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 50,000 Japanese users vote for their favorite console games in TV Asahi poll – Top 100 announced

ranmafan

What were the age demographics of we’re talking “all time”?
During the broadcast they showed that the people interviewed went from all ranges, from elementary school students, to people in their 50s and beyond. On certain games that would make a point on how some games did better within certain age groups than others. And on a few like fire emblem, made a point on the larger female demographic. They asked a large group of people for sure and they got a pretty comprehensive listing of what’s been super popular with Japanese gamers over the years on the list. Honestly not too surprised at all at any of the choices

Last edited:

ranmafan

Actually surprised, was sure FFVII
I actually was surprised it got to number 3. Expected it in top ten but thought some games would pass it due recency bias. The panelist on the show each gave their guess on what number one would be and only one of them picked ffvii. Most picked animal crossing. One person did pick Zelda BOTW. One crazy thing, when they were talking about botw, they had the singer of the mazinger x theme song show up and he talked about playing botw for over 3000 hours!

Mozzarella

I think this list lacks variety. I also think the ranking is a mess and some games have no business being in it, but its the equivalent of top 100 anime list voted by japan fans, if you have seen those you would understand that these lists are generally terrible.

jigglet

Banned
Suikoden II getting some respect. Japan knows their games.

Poll 50,000 Americans and that game doesn’t even make the top 500. Most wouldn’t have even heard of it.

Uncultured swine! Imagine trying to share a fine glass of wine with people like that.

I reckon they should do a poll like this at a suburb level so I can better choose where I want to live.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Longcat

Makes me really happy to see Legend of Mana in this list. And Suikoden1&2.

The only real surprise I saw in the list was fucking Xevious LMAO

Gifmaker

Ocarina of Time has been dethroned, BOTW is just in a league of its own
As was OoT at the time it released. Having played both at launch, BOTW is an extremely good game - but imho, it just doesn't compare to the sense of adventure that OoT brought to 10-year-old me back in the day. BOTW could have been a lot better with a stronger focus on story and narrative. It's an aspect in which OoT easily outshines BOTW, even after 23 years.

Last edited:
Glad to see some old classics, like Tetris, the original LoZ, or Chrono Trigger, made it to that list. Do that same poll in the west and you'd only get games from the last 10 years at best.

Although having Abyss, of all things, be the only Tales game, is slightly pissing me off.

ranmafan

So I was watching my recording of the special last night again today and thought I would add some notes that I’ve noticed many sites haven’t posted about the list. Games were limited to video games on home and portable consoles, and so it looks like cell phone games were not allowed. Which would’ve been interesting had they had as I bet a few games would’ve made it on the list. Every game had at least 30000 units in sales. People voted their top five games and it was on a point system:

1st -10 points
2nd - 7 points
3rd - 5 points
4th - 3 points
5th - 1 point

Final rankings were done by point totals. For example the first title shown number 70 (71-100 were annouced a week before online) monster Hunter world had 660 points. Zelda had 74000 points.almost 20000 points more than second place dragon quest 5.

Some extra information. Undertale was very popular in the lowest age group, 6th place for boys, 5th for girls. Smash Bros for switch was number one for boys in the kids/teens and twenties group, and girls was not far behind. They also showed a clip of the Nintendo New York showing of the unveil with all the people going crazy to show how popular it is abroad. Dragon quest 3 was number one in the 40s age group with both men and women and almost number one for the 50s and 30s as well. Dq5 was number one in both men and women for the 50s group. Splatoon two was big with kids and twenty. Year olds. Was first place among the girls kids/teens group, and 3rd for girls in the twenties group. The program did not present info on how Zelda breath of the wild did in each group surprisingly. They did show an interesting number though. They interviewed the singer of the mazinger z theme song and showed he had played the game for 3155 hours!

Overall the show was fun to watch. Lots of interviews with game personalities. And even the “talent”’on the shows panel were surprisingly well versed in games.

ranmafan

I don't understand how FFX gets that much love over all the great JRPGs.
They talked about that game a lot actually since it was in the top ten and about why it was such a hit with Japanese gamers.. The story really was a hit with Japanese gamers and was quite memorable for them. They made a big deal talking about Tidus and Yuna’s kiss scene. They talked also about how the game was a revolution with the amount of speech in the game when ff games before it had none. The game has always been popular here with the public at large and it’s easy to see why. Hardcore gamers here like it too but other RPGs that we would see as being better wouldn’t jump above it in a public vote like this. While VI is always my favorite ff game and favorite game period, I’m ok with x as high as it is. It’s my second favorite game in the series.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm impressed 2 Dragon Quest games reached the top rankings.

I love DQ games, they should release more of those games.

Btw, hard to believe D/P has a way better ranking than Platinum, let alone SwSh ranking. Like, wtf. Did these guys really played those games?

Last edited:

ranmafan

What it says is not what the link says.
Some use subtle slickness.
Sorry I’m just not seeing any subtle slickness at all. There was a poll where over 50,000 people in Japan voted they favorite games of all time and the results were announced on tv. The link says the same thing. So what exactly is subtly different?

S0ULZB0URNE

Sorry I’m just not seeing any subtle slickness at all. There was a poll where over 50,000 people in Japan voted they favorite games of all time and the results were announced on tv. The link says the same thing. So what exactly is subtly different?
Hmm maybe I am missing something...
I can easily be corrected if you can show me the "of all time" part.

Fredrik

Didn’t know that japanese gamers don’t like Metroid.
BOTW at #1 is acceptable though, it was my #1 too for awhile but Super Metroid eventually went back on top again.

ranmafan

Hmm maybe I am missing something...
I can easily be corrected if you can show me the "of all time" part.
I can see you point in the “of all time” but that is the meaning for the show (at least for console games) and is what’s being used in almost all the other English reports on the show. But yeah I understand what you mean now in regards to the particular article that was posted from
Gematsu.

Top Bottom