• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over $1,000,000 for pitching a Hobbit videogame never made

PhoenixTank

Honestly looked pretty good, but now I want a Return of The King remake. Or something in that vein.
Absolute fire back in the day:
Rotkboxart2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a bit rough but that's a really damn well put together demo O_O

Honestly looked pretty good, but now I want a Return of The King remake. Or something in that vein.
Absolute fire back in the day:
Rotkboxart2.jpg

EA needs to work something out with the licensing on this. Have you seen the ebay prices for Battle for Middle Earth 2?

The Alien

Banned
Cool vid.For an X360 game, that looks fantastic.

That being said, he fucked himself in a number of ways.

Why do most video game movies suck? Because the devs aren't given enough time to work on the games....because the scripts arent completed, changes, etc. These Hobbit movies were notorious for not having a final script during production. I saw a vid last week of Jackson calling for a lunch break on set while he figured what the next scene was gonna be. They had no idea what the script was and this devs idea was to make a movie based game.

Damn as just a demo/pitch they coulda taken that pretty far for a full game.

Gameplay Came across a bit boring but it was more just propf of concept i think. They did a great job replicating the lotr movies

ManaByte

Cool vid.For an X360 game, that looks fantastic.

That being said, he fucked himself in a number of ways.

Why do most video game movies suck? Because the devs aren't given enough time to work on the games....because the scripts arent completed, changes, etc. These Hobbit movies were notorious for not having a final script during production. I saw a vid last week of Jackson calling for a lunch break on set while he figured what the next scene was gonna be. They had no idea what the script was and this devs idea was to make a movie based game.

That was WB's fault for forcing it into a trilogy. I mean they got about a billion for each movie, but it nearly killed Peter Jackson. Those same people were responsible for the theatrical cut of Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad, and Justice League.

PhoenixTank

EA needs to work something out with the licensing on this. Have you seen the ebay prices for Battle for Middle Earth 2?
I think I'd forgotten about this one. I don't see any outrageous prices though, unless I'm looking at counterfeits?
Still a shame when these things get pulled from sale.

Rikoi

Meanwhile a gollum game is being released for next gen. Is there really a demand to play as gollum? I'm kinda surprised

"The Hobbit" and the Rings stories are timeless. You can make them any time. Waiting to make one will only benefit from better technology to present them.

Cutty Flam

Banned
'Classic literature' often seems daunting but The Hobbit takes you by the hand and pulls you in on page one, such a brilliant book.
It’s so much fun so early. I can’t believe it’s going to be 13 dwarves plus Bilbo and Gandalf picked the entire squad. I love all their names too lol. The dinner at Bilbo’s was incredible

Before I dived in, I sort of surveyed the map that Tolkien had drawn, was just looking it over and studying it a bit, wondering and imagining what could/might take place in this adventure. One place that caught my attention was “The Desolation of Smaug” I think it was. Such a dope name. Can’t wait to get there. I think the second The Hobbit film was named after that place

Cutty Flam

Banned
This is what XSX backwards compatibility is made for!

ZIcRyD5.jpg
Can’t wait to get to the Trilogy either and read those. It’ll be fresh for me since I forgot mostly everything save a few key moments in The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Only saw the movies, but the only one that I can remember well is The Fellowship of the Ring

Top Bottom