• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outsourcing and TV to Blame for Halo Infinite Woes

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i double dare naughty dog to make a 60 fps open world game. will see how graphics holds up.
They did that UC4 60 fps trailer in 2014. The video where Drake is lying face down in the dirt.

Kept that charade going on for two years and then in 2016 some random article said a ND employee claims it'll be 30 fps.

Last edited:
Look man, I’ve tried giving them a chance but 343 is Mediocre as fuck at best and Horribly incompetent at worst. Bungie were on a whole other level with encounters and AI. Microsoft should sack their ass and start a new team.
343's devs ain't the problem tho. It's the management there and at Xbox.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Remember when that thread titled “343idiots” caused a bunch of people to be butthurt.

Well ... thread tittle has been vindicated.

343idiots indeed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny thing I don't play Halo games so I have no clue about the quality of the games as people like to compare 3, 4, 5, MCC, Reach. To me, I just see some Halo videos and that the graphics seem t improve every game except Infinite. Reach looks best to me as I like grittier looking games, but I know the art setting is typically not supposed to be that dark.

But hearing people's comments on which Halo games are good or not is a good read. Seems like the general trend is 343 games aren't great. Although to be fair, the reviews still hold up well.

But might be time to cut the cord as soon as Infinite finally releases if Infinite is that bad.

Lol, they validated the whole story by denying the most embarrassing part. It has to be true or else you just ignore the haters.

Ohhhh look TV...so prestigious. You know every VP there just thought they were D.B. Weiss and David Benioff the moment that got lined up.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
The problem with Halo: Infinite is quite clear. It's being made to run at 60 FPS on base Xbox One. No amount of Series X enhancements would make it look next gen.
They should have made the Series X version first and outsourced the downport to another studio. Rise of the Tomb Raider was made that way. Not many people know that Rise of the Tomb Raider had a Xbox 360 port, a darn good one.

Last edited:

Arkam

apparently not outsourced

Well if their community manager says it, it must be true because..... well actually that doesnt tell us squat. Though have to give praise for 343 not having a "hey look I am a girl!!!" community manager, so he at least probably knows about games.

Kev Kev

man, the more info that comes out, the worse this all looks. i was one of those weird ones who shrugged and said theyll play the game when it comes out and judge it then, even would say it looks fun, but its undeniable that some fuckery is very fucking afoot.

like, wth happened? are things as bad as these stories are making them sound? or is this sensational fake news shit? and how is the tv show interfering with the game? arent they two seperate things? covid probably didnt help, but it seems way bigger problems were at hand. thought they were supposed to be big time devs?

this is really interesting to watch unfold. i wonder what the day to day atmosphere is over there

mckmas8808

Banned
Well if their community manager says it, it must be true because..... well actually that doesnt tell us squat. Though have to give praise for 343 not having a "hey look I am a girl!!!" community manager, so he at least probably knows about games.

My god does GAF have some of the shittest\sexist posters on the internet. It's insane!

Arkam

My god does GAF have some of the shittest\sexist posters on the internet. It's insane!

How is it sexist? Last two community managers I HAD. On games I RAN were the absolute WORST. They were both very attractive women who knew very very little about games and even less about community management. But guess what they succeeded.... once the community saw they were attractive. This is a trend I see far too often among my colleagues CMs too. They want someone that is "marketable" instead of someone who knows their shit. No reason it cannot be a woman. I just hate the trend of using women like this.... it clear exploitation.

Funny thing I don't play Halo games so I have no clue about the quality of the games as people like to compare 3, 4, 5, MCC, Reach. To me, I just see some Halo videos and that the graphics seem t improve every game except Infinite. Reach looks best to me as I like grittier looking games, but I know the art setting is typically not supposed to be that dark.

But hearing people's comments on which Halo games are good or not is a good read. Seems like the general trend is 343 games aren't great. Although to be fair, the reviews still hold up well.

But might be time to cut the cord as soon as Infinite finally releases if Infinite is that bad.

The first is the darkest but the Anniversary edition brightens everything up, loses all the atmosphere. It's why I play with the original visuals on MCC.

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 3
3. Halo 2
4. Halo: ODST
5. Halo: Reach

Reserving judgment on 4 and 5 until I've beaten them but the current feeling is that they don't really cut it. Reach is my bottom but even Reach is great, I'm not even sure I blame people for putting Reach on top, even.

Chiggs

How is it sexist? Last two community managers I HAD. On games I RAN were the absolute WORST. They were both very attractive women who knew very very little about games and even less about community management. But guess what they succeeded.... once the community saw they were attractive. This is a trend I see far too often among my colleagues CMs too. They want someone that is "marketable" instead of someone who knows their shit. No reason it cannot be a woman. I just hate the trend of using women like this.... it clear exploitation.

To be fair, this works for men, too. I've watched some of my more handsome (and dumb) colleagues ascend to quite lofty heights. I mean, it sucks, but it is what is....

Personally, I think the real discrimination in this world happens to ugly people. :)

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
mIav5N8.gif

VAVA Mk2

WTF was with that guy. Fucking dick.

Like grooming an underage girl wasn't bad enough. Boo that man.
Maybe we will get lucky and that twat gets fired and MS will put Joe Staten in charge of the franchise lore again like he was back at Bungie at the beginning of the Halo franchise.

apparently not outsourced

Here's my issue with CMs or even press releases etc. There is never any transparent detail, such as; why the downgrade of systems, not just graphics but grass, animation, physics, facial details, lighting, textures etc. It's a bullshot in engine demo, irrespective of outsourced or not. Simple answer is the demo is handcraft in basically all aspects and not even the actual in engine systems the game uses.

So defend your outsourcing or not, I don't care. How about some CM or PR management with, you now, some fucking actually useful detail about the shit show from demo to reveal.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

That's a VERY narrow experience that you are talking about there buddy (if you are being truthful). You speak as if ALL men that were community managers knew and played video games most of their lives. Just check yourself sometimes from making statements that blanket everyone to being the same.

Arkam

That's a VERY narrow experience that you are talking about there buddy (if you are being truthful). You speak as if ALL men that were community managers knew and played video games most of their lives. Just check yourself sometimes from making statements that blanket everyone to being the same.
And you can check yourself next time you call people a names without asking for clarification of what was meant by a post. I still think you don’t get what I am saying. NOT that women make bad CMS. But that studios exploit attractive women. There are tons of great femal CMS.... but there are also many who have no idea what they are doing and will rely on their sexual appeal. It’s exactly like Twitch streamers or hosts on gaming shows.

mckmas8808

Banned
And you can check yourself next time you call people a names without asking for clarification of what was meant by a post. I still think you don’t get what I am saying. NOT that women make bad CMS. But that studios exploit attractive women. There are tons of great femal CMS.... but there are also many who have no idea what they are doing and will rely on their sexual appeal. It’s exactly like Twitch streamers or hosts on gaming shows.

Okay cool. And there are MANY men that have those same jobs that DONT DESERVE THEM EITHER! That's my point. Many men have gotten those jobs before that didn't deserve them, but only got them because of who they knew. But for some reason, you only point to the attractive women that shouldn't have the job to rant about. And not the company that hires people that don't deserve the jobs.

You purposely focused on the women only. And your personal story only exposed yourself that much more.

ClaraCraighead

Neo Member
This seems to be the original article https://www.webdevref.com/it-outsourcing-companies-in-singapore/

For years there has been talk of issues with the management at 343. It isn't surprising to be hearing what we are now.

Sucks because there is so much Halo left. I know a lot of people wondered how they were gonna move past Halo 3, and then Halo 5 lol. But keep in mind that Reach and Combat Evolved both take place at the very end of the war with the Covenant. There is so much that only the books are touching on.

Doing a game with Chief in his early days would be epic. Johnson was there after Harvest. Hell Johnson was one of the first Spartans.

There is so much they can do. Create another studio to handle something else Halo, or just get a studio.

But the Halo output and overall quality from 343 hasn't been what it needs to be.

I think at this point, it isn't the Xbox One holding back Infinite (doubting Infinite was supposed to be next gen at this point), nor is it COVID-19, it is the management of 343 imo.
Those 4 years between Commanders-19 and Rise of the Hutt Cartel, for example, were filled with clear communication and little as of late, and also the hype for those previous Xbox releases made a lot of people buy or pre-order a Playstation 4 or Xbox One. And the way 343 is writing this game has made it clear to me that they have no clue what to do for the franchise, and they really need to be more straightforward and focused on making a good game, because right now, COVID-19 is shaping up to be a disappointment for not only me but others as well.

Top Bottom