• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outsourcing and TV to Blame for Halo Infinite Woes

VAVA Mk2

What a fucking disaster! The E3 2019 trailer was outsourced as they didn't have stable gameplay they could show off. We will be lucky to see this in fall of 2021. This is a fucking mess of epic proportions. What the hell have they been doing for 5 years?

Last edited by a moderator:

hyperbertha

What the hell have they been doing for 5 years?

QaSBZpJ.jpg

Kuranghi

From the article:

"Apparently, the E3 2019 trailer for Halo Infinite was outsourced while the game was not in a playable state, which "over-sold expectations for Infinite's later demos." The report suggests that the marketing and engineering teams behind Halo Infinite "have been on two different planets," which has also led to issues in messaging the game."

It kinda makes more sense why people were leaving in 2019 now, try and get as far as away as possible from the blast wave. The whole distraction with the TV show just makes it even more stupid, did management forget they were supposed to be making a game or...?

Roufianos

Chris was saying the same thing on this week's Sacred Symbols, said he knows contracts who've come and gone on the project and even sent him footage of it. Said it's the same at other MS studios too, wtf is going on there.

Codes 208

343i not living up to their expectations isn’t exactly new, and this just comes off as making up excuses. Bungie was in their place before but they ultimately delivered whereas 343i keeps fucking up.
A CGI game trailer that misrepresents the end product.:messenger_open_mouth:
A cgi trailer pretending to be “next gen gameplay” is where the issue lies. Especially since the year prior we got the demo first look which set a reasonable expectation.

edit: not that I mean to be this hostile to 343i, I’m still a bit salty about having to wait five years just to get Craig

Last edited:

NickFire

I can't help but wonder how much of the information given or leaked to the reporter was an attempt at damage control. The dev had five years to make a Halo launch game for the most powerful console ever announced. They failed to accomplish the goal, and the game looked pretty bad, which many are attributing at least in part to the difficulty of making a cutting edge game for a 12 TF machine that also runs on Xbox One S.

And now we have a report that shifts blame from cross-gen and the dev, to outsourcing and a TV show. Rather convenient if you ask me.

This seems to be the original article https://www.thurrott.com/games/239188/a-closer-look-at-halo-infinites-turbulent-journey#

For years there has been talk of issues with the management at 343. It isn't surprising to be hearing what we are now.

Sucks because there is so much Halo left. I know a lot of people wondered how they were gonna move past Halo 3, and then Halo 5 lol. But keep in mind that Reach and Combat Evolved both take place at the very end of the war with the Covenant. There is so much that only the books are touching on.

Doing a game with Chief in his early days would be epic. Johnson was there after Harvest. Hell Johnson was one of the first Spartans.

There is so much they can do. Create another studio to handle something else Halo, or just get a studio.

But the Halo output and overall quality from 343 hasn't been what it needs to be.

I think at this point, it isn't the Xbox One holding back Infinite (doubting Infinite was supposed to be next gen at this point), nor is it COVID-19, it is the management of 343 imo.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As an Xbox fanboy. It's quite disappointing...

I mean. Surely at some point when they were making this game the devs must have played at least one decent newish generation FPS and realised what they were working on looked shite. Surely.

Greeno

Yeah.... Bonnie Ross needs to be fired already. And the marketing team needs to replace the "engineers" team. The marketing knows exactly what fans want it seems (with Halo 5 and Halo Infinite), give them the power to influence development.

Last edited:
I was thinking of Killzone 2 but yeah who knows, I don't think they would've used straight up CGI due to the "running on PS5" text. Doesn't mean some of them weren't in-engine renders though, who knows.

I was thinking of Killzone 2 as well but that was a really really long time time. And if I'm not mistaken they said it was a target render.

With the Slipspace engine demonstration the messaging was a little different.

Entroyp

I don’t think fixing the game is a matter of having more time. What were they doing for 5 years? 343i just doesn’t have what it takes.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If all this stuff we're hearing and theorizing about is true, and they can't turn it around... this is almost certainly the end of 343.

When you screw up literally almost everything you do, to horrendous proportions, even your big comeback, it's time to go.

A few bright moments along the way aside, I can't say I'll care much. Halo couldn't have been steered worse if it was purposely sabotaged.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sucks because there is so much Halo left. I know a lot of people wondered how they were gonna move past Halo 3, and then Halo 5 lol. But keep in mind that Reach and Combat Evolved both take place at the very end of the war with the Covenant. There is so much that only the books are touching on.

Doing a game with Chief in his early days would be epic. Johnson was there after Harvest. Hell Johnson was one of the first Spartans.
I'd be happy to see this. The Halo lore post Halo 3 is really dumb, IMO. I'm sure there are people who like it, but I think it should have gone in a different direction.

Kuranghi

Have they blamed it on the rain yet? Gotta blame it on something

Aye, its been windy for most of the day in Scotland, so Rockstar has cancelled GTA VI.

Shame, the TV show will be fantastic though I'm sure.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I was thinking of Killzone 2 as well but that was a really really long time time. And if I'm not mistaken they said it was a target render.

With the Slipspace engine demonstration the messaging was a little different.

Yeah, it was literally Sony's fault that people were led to believe it was in-engine, not GG's fault at all.

For Halo: Infinite they literally said "This is our new engine! Look at it! We are making an amazing game with this! Can you imagine how good it will be!", which to me implies that its what the game will actually look like outside of resolution/IQ.

This is such poo-news :lollipop_sad_relieved:

I'd be happy to see this. The Halo lore post Halo 3 is really dumb, IMO. I'm sure there are people who like it, but I think it should have gone in a different direction.
It is the same problem with going back and telling an all Forerunner story. Past Halo 3 is very tech heavy. But prior to that the audience felt that everything in Halo was a "realistic" evolution to what is currently modern.

Yes Forerunner things were present, but it was there and also hidden... mysterious. Like looking at the Great Pyramids or the Great Wall of China.

The Prometheans, Warden Eternal, and even the Spartan 4's don't have that "in our future" feel.

Yeah, it was literally Sony's fault that people were led to believe it was in-engine, not GG's fault at all.

For Halo: Infinite they literally said "This is our new engine! Look at it! We are making an amazing game with this! Can you imagine how good it will be!", which to me implies that its what the game will actually look like outside of resolution/IQ.

This is such poo-news :lollipop_sad_relieved:

I mean whenever we are given an engine demonstration I know the final results might not reach it. But to be do far behind what they showed us in the past?

Just feels like they were being dishonest with us in my opinion.

Dane

343i is such a wreck that you don't even see at the other studios, the whole top level administration is made by people who never had such experience or with big studios in the first place.

This is what happens when you want to milk a franchise like that up to eleven, you end up with your own Star Wars.

Top Bottom