• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Review Thread [77 OC, 78 MC]

SLB1904

Banned
qFuP40kxv5Hryu5sqcEKzTxb.png

GameSpot - 8/10​

Outriders Review In Progress

Destructoid - 7/10​

Review: Outriders

Hobby Consolas - 8.5/10​

Outriders Análisis del "shooter" cooperativo

PlayStation Universe 8.5/10​

Outriders Review (PS5) – One Of The Most Enjoyable, Engaging, And Satisfying Looter Shooters In Years

OpenCritic 7.7/10 / Metacritic 7.8/10

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Game’s a 10/10 on the fun factor scale. I’ve got like 20 hours and it’s never once got boring.

The demo and Game Pass day one destroyed any reason to listen to reviewers for this one.
Don't know if I would go as far as 10/10, but I am having an absolute blast. I agree that reviewers for this game in particular have been really dumb. PCGamer for example was complaining that the classes felt flat/not diverse enough and that abilities didn't feel powerful.. That guy must have only played the first 10min or something..

Mmnow

Wasn't even interested enough to download the demo, but wanted to support third party AAA titles coming to Game Pass day one and chucked it a download.

Wouldn't say I'm hooked, but I'm enjoying it well enough. I agree that the first hour was an absolute slog, but then I used the first power I accessed and it was like "ah, here's the game. This is what's so fun about it." If you're not at least at that point when you decide it's not for you, I'd suggest keeping with it.

I'm playing it on and off with Octopath Traveller and, while the latter is probably my favourite JRPG since FFX, this is 'just' a solid game that has way more depth than I'm ever going to use. If I had to review it right this second, I'd give it a 7, but I know that'll probably go up the more time I put into it.

Stuart360

Only played the demo (spent over 10 hours in it though!), and i would give the demo a 8/10. Reviews seem fair for what people like CohhCarnage have been saying. A really good and fun game, but held back a bit by bugs and a few problems.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really enjoying this game. The server issues are annoying and the voice acting isn't great. It's buggy and a bit of a mess in places but the combat is great fun. Had a good boss fight and some awesome encounters. Loving the trickster I'm level 18 and world level 8.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Game’s a 10/10 on the fun factor scale. I’ve got like 20 hours and it’s never once got boring.

The demo and Game Pass day one destroyed any reason to listen to reviewers for this one.
Yeah, the fun factor is really good. I'd give about an 8/10. The more I play it the more I like it.

kbear

Don't know if I would go as far as 10/10, but I am having an absolute blast. I agree that reviewers for this game in particular have been really dumb. PCGamer for example was complaining that the classes felt flat/not diverse enough and that abilities didn't feel powerful.. That guy must have only played the first 10min or something..
“fun factor scale”, not 10/10 overall.

It’s become one of my favorite looter shooters ever tho. I’ve never had so much fun in one that doesn’t get repetitive.

Vestal

Gold Member
“fun factor scale”, not 10/10 overall.

It’s become one of my favorite looter shooters ever tho. I’ve never had so much fun in one that doesn’t get repetitive.
Ok yeah.. Especially if you play with a buddy. Like I said previously, this is what I was expecting HellGate-London to be like. Abilities that kick ass, flexibility in play style for any class, crisp combat, challenging yet rewarding encounters, endless possibilities for class combination with how loot is setup with mods etc...

We did a Hunt last night, and that was a freaking RUSH. Challenging, but in the end the rewards were worth it. :)

Calverz

I played a bit last night and today. I never played the division but played a little bitnif destiny. Quite enjoyed server issues aside. Its not amazing by any means but fun with friends. The story and cutscenes sort of remind me of a 360 era game. Like this is the game devs envisioned back in the mid to late 2000’s lol

Kuranghi

The demo was fun enough, I think the classes are very varied and the effects look great.

I'm thinking this kind of looter game just isn't for me anymore, I played Borderlands for about 1000 hours and now I'm done with looter games with a TTK this high, its the same reason I wasn't into Destiny, feels too slow and its just not engaging to me. I checked out current end-game stuff and it did have some nice synergies but the moment to moment gameplay isn't different enough from the beginning to make that journey worth it for me.

End-game builds can improve as time goes on though so I'm sure those that do enjoy it will have a lot of fun.

McCheese

Way too high considering multiplayer is completely broken, folks who reviewed this before everything set on fire for the public release need to reassess their scores imo.

Last edited:

Thabass

I think that will be the effect of Game Pass. Before people used reviews to decide whether to play a game or not, now with Game Pass people will just play and decide themselves whether the game is good or not.
This is how it used to be back in the day. Hell...that's how it should be now.

This is how it used to be back in the day. Hell...that's how it should be now.
True, I remember how in the 90s I bought NES and Sega games but had no idea of their quality.
Maybe it will force the reviewers to take their jobs seriously - because now if they put low scores to the games, people will scrutinize the review more as playing the gaming will be more accessible for them anyway and they can try it themselves.

Arun1910

6.6 user score and a 78 review score.

Gonna wait this out a bit. Can tell the user score is based on shit servers and the reviewers no doubt haven't got to Endgame.

Can't trust either of these scores at the moment.

sainraja

True, I remember how in the 90s I bought NES and Sega games but had no idea of their quality.
Maybe it will force the reviewers to take their jobs seriously - because now if they put low scores to the games, people will scrutinize the review more as playing the gaming will be more accessible for them anyway and they can try it themselves.
Well, reviews generally are put out before the release date, aren't they? I never paid a lot of attention to reviews because I like to make up my own mind anyway.

ZehDon

Yeah, 7/10 would be a fair rating. It's a lot of fun to play, but it's a mid-budget title where the seems show. It's got it where it counts, but it's got a bit janky in a few places. Definitely the kind of game that deserves a bigger budgeted sequel; the "kill to heal" focus is a good spin on the cover based shooter.

Gonna wait this out a bit. Can tell the user score is based on shit servers and the reviewers no doubt haven't got to Endgame.

I would say even on Steam you can see a lot of bombing / negativity by saying: No servers working, refunded, that definetly drops the MC and Steam percentage. When the game works it's a solid 80 for me, or even above. Most content full and complete Looter Shooter after Borderlands, with fun gameplay mechanics, but comes short in the level design / segmentation department. But I can't put the game down due to how fast it is.

Also when the Angry Joe review comes out, Don't listen to him, he probably doesn't know how to play the game as he kept calling it bulletspongey game during his Rant about the launch. It only becomes bulletspongey if you let the world tier level go too high without having proper gear on.

Plantoid

Or, just play it on gamepass...

I got it for "free" I don't think it's worth $60... But I'm having fun, put like 6 hours, it's basically diablo, I don't think I will be doing endgame stuff

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
The game starts out at around a 5 and ends about a 9. It really does get quite a bit better after that first region.

...and then you get a legendary sniper rifle that is covered in ice, with vapor coming off of it and even the optic is icing up and you forget about all the bad stuff because they nailed the gear system.

Matchmaking is broken on my Xbox Series S.

I have not been able to get into one single co-op session. I love playing co-op games and this broken feature pisses me off.

Game is fucking incredible though. Gameplay is pure crack. Spent all of yesterday playing (north of 8 hours) non-stop with some breaks but I just couldn't pull myself away. Level 23 now.

Also: THANK YOU XBOX AND GAMEPASS FOR THIS AMAZING FREEBIE. I LOVE THIS GAME.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The game is good mindless fun as far as the shooting goes. The real enjoyment I got was from making a really broken build.

I made a build based on a Destiny 2 hunter on arc dmg as inspiration. It focuses on pistols, I got the dual wield pistols on my Trickster with lightning dmg and ice proc to freeze enemies I hit. The pistols are the fully auto variant and fast to reload, have infinite ammo and do a surprising amount of dmg quickly. The lightning proc hits 100% every 2 seconds, So essentially each enemy I hit gets hit with a lightning bolt. With this build you never have to refill ammo and never have to use a different gun. There's just no point. Elites, bosses just melt.

I use the throwing knife power that bounces from enemy to enemy and slows them which is great for crowd control and lining up easy headshots. I also use hunt the prey to teleport into huge crowds of enemies, then use my anomaly power, the slow orb to slow and weaken them which makes me feel like I'm in the Matrix or something.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
This game come out as a B-tier game, but as you get further through it, it's a solid S-tier game. The story is ridiculous - Like Starship Troopers - it has some of the worst dialog - extremely cringe (and funny).

This game shines when in combat, leveling up and building your character. So satisfying to play with mods and skill tree - no other looter shooter even comes close to how satisfying this is made.

Rocksolid 8.5/10

DJTaurus

Pretty decent reviews which shows why so many people are having fun with it right now. Now it’s time to question the motives of some few users (we know who they are) who rushed in bashing it out after initial demo impressions. Another great game FREE on gamepass and DAY ONE..... the Netflix of gaming as haters call it #burn😝

Shmunter

Good score. Seemingly the fun I had with the demo translates to the full package.

So much so It translated to me giving a red hot go at Division 2. And that’s got my full attention. Reached endgame and was surprised how things change up there with all new enemies, robots etc. Going to blitz the world tiers to see the new content past that. Even got the New York expansion which is currently 70% off!

Last edited:
Top Bottom