• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Hit 3.5 Million Players In First Month, Is Now Square Enix's "Next Major Franchise"

silent head

wFoq8Vu.jpg

They completely fucked the launch with all the balance issues, and crashes. The endgame being on a timer would be fine if the timer wouldn't be running while cutscenes run. ALso there's an armor bug now, which supposedly gets fixed tomorrow, but oh boih. Had a lot of hopes for this. In the end though the Singleplayer campaign is great, but the endgame is not good. Also Nerfs.... no more nerfs for godsake

Krizalidx11

Banned
It's got a lot of issues but i had fun with it, good thing Sony kept their hands off of this game and didn't kill it before it was released like they did with Avengers

The core game is pretty good. It's The Division with superpowers. I do want them to bring in some external art designers to mix into the team though as many of their art designs and stylistic choices are too rooted in cold war Eastern European influence. Reminds me of Metro in that regard.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The game is kind of terrible but I can't stop playing it.

The story is horrifically bad its borderline amazing. there was a cutscene towards the end that was so badly done me and my two mates were in flipping tears of laughter. It was worth three years of gamepass for that alone.

The one thing they nailed, the gameplay loop...its fucking dope!

bender

What time is it?
The story is horrifically bad its borderline amazing. there was a cutscene towards the end that was so badly done me and my two mates were in flipping tears of laughter. It was worth three years of gamepass for that alone.

The one thing they nailed, the gameplay loop...its fucking dope!

The only thing they nailed, in my estimation, is the weapon/armor perks/stats and how you can mod/upgrade equipment. It's a really smart system and the diversity of perks on the loots is great. Everything else ranges from terrible to average. I only play co-op with a buddy and one do it once a week. We have a good time for the first 10-15 minutes and then all of the little annoyances start to creep in and by the end of our gaming sessions, we are praying to see the credits roll. The game never ends. We say goodbye by saying "see you next week" and by the time next week rolls around, we've forgotten the pain and strap in for another go. We will finish this game and then we'll never play it again. lol

I like that it has a set end and isn’t and endless money/time pit like Division or Destiny. Sadly I can totally see Squeenix going all Avengers on it for a sequel.

Who could have thought that Avengers would flop while no name would succeed :messenger_tears_of_joy: At least Xbox users got the game on Game Pass, while PS users got the exclusive Spider man

Sounds low if GP really is 20 million users
By the same logic if the game is released on PS4 it should get at least 10 mil. because there are 100+ mil. consoles sold :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Certainly the game benefited from Game Pass, it just doesn't mean that each and every user is gonna play the game. I mean how many new multiplayer IPs get the same amount of players in the first month? Not to mention it was barely marketed.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I stopped playing due to inconsistencies with the game. One moment I'm fine and the next I'm getting one-shot by a boss due to an armor bug. Then the online play is worse than 2001 Xbox Live.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The only thing they nailed, in my estimation, is the weapon/armor perks/stats and how you can mod/upgrade equipment. It's a really smart system and the diversity of perks on the loots is great. Everything else ranges from terrible to average. I only play co-op with a buddy and one do it once a week. We have a good time for the first 10-15 minutes and then all of the little annoyances start to creep in and by the end of our gaming sessions, we are praying to see the credits roll. The game never ends. We say goodbye by saying "see you next week" and by the time next week rolls around, we've forgotten the pain and strap in for another go. We will finish this game and then we'll never play it again. lol

Hahaha, what class are you. I can't wait until you get to the terrible cutscene. Your eyes will roll out of your head.

We were always at the highest world tier possible and loved the combat gameplay loop. It gets hard as nails and really requires strategy. The classes work well together. But yeah, everything outside of a few key things is trash.

bender

What time is it?
I stopped playing due to inconsistencies with the game. One moment I'm fine and the next I'm getting one-shot by a boss due to an armor bug. Then the online play is worse than 2001 Xbox Live.

The balancing is kind of broken anyway. In sequential encounters you can go from curb stomping enemies to being the stompee in the next. Online is laggy as fuck though which makes some of the boss encounters (AOE or with charges) more difficult than they should be because you can't properly dodge.

Hahaha, what class are you. I can't wait until you get to the terrible cutscene. Your eyes will roll out of your head.

We were always at the highest world tier possible and loved the combat gameplay loop. It gets hard as nails and really requires strategy. The classes work well together. But yeah, everything outside of a few key things is trash.

The tank class. My buddy is the Pyro. I just spend most of the time training mobs while he does damage. I also have to revive him 4 or 5 (or 30 times) per encounter. We are on WT11. I'm pretty sure we are on the last zone. We stopped watching cutscenes early on. B Button Baby!

Last edited:

Skifi28

The release timing was good as there was not much else to play for many people, but the game seemed forgettable at best.

Phase

This game had a dramatic fall in population since its release, with barely anyone playing it now. Really don't it's a good decision to make it their top dog.

Steamcharts page

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When did they announce "Outriders is a game with no MTX"?

That's starting to feel like they knew the game was going to flop and they wanted to appeal to a certain demo.

BigLee74

Enjoying my time with it. Playing it solo, so have to keep the world tier pretty low, but having some fun regardless.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You seem upset or something. What does Returnal have to do with anything? Is it the same genre as Outriders? Did it also launch on PC/Xbox/PS?

What a weird comparison.

Please include Mario Tennis next time.

point being twitch numbers don't really mean shit, and you seem upset that square is happy with their games performance for whatever reason

Alexvot86

Neo Member
Really glad to hear this. The combat is intense and great fun with friends. Properly fleshed out campaign was a nice welcome and the weapon and armour mods actually have a huge impact on gameplay rather than being a slight stat tweak.

St0pThatGuy

Neo Member
They completely fucked the launch with all the balance issues, and crashes. The endgame being on a timer would be fine if the timer wouldn't be running while cutscenes run. ALso there's an armor bug now, which supposedly gets fixed tomorrow, but oh boih. Had a lot of hopes for this. In the end though the Singleplayer campaign is great, but the endgame is not good. Also Nerfs.... no more nerfs for godsake
I've seen timers run thru cutscenes in other games before that I can't recall. Maybe resident evil? Man that does a number on my anxiety. I'm still going to try it out though.

Top Bottom