• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Demo Runs at a Higher Resolution On XSX But Has Better Performance On PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasto

Here is what VGTech had to say regarding the resolution and frame rate of Outriders on both platforms.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3456×1944 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2261×1272. On Xbox Series X a form of temporal reconstruction is used to increase the resolution up to 3840×2160.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 2304×1296 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1536×864. On Xbox Series S a form of temporal reconstruction is used to increase the resolution up to 3840×2160.

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3008×1692 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2112×1188. On PS5 a form of temporal reconstruction is used to increase the resolution up to 3840×2160.

kretos

Banned
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I don’t have VRR TV. I should not have to spend 2000$ on a VRR TV just so my ‘next gen’ console has to stop tearing or dropping frames. Console gaming sould be affordable not expensive.

skneogaf

It's a win for both as the ps5 doesn't support even basic vrr so it's more flat 60fps which is a lower resolution is suited to its two generations ago now non vrr abilities whereas the xbox series x has variable refresh rate to go along with its higher resolution.

Once the ps5 gets vrr then I wonder if the resolution will go higher or be stuck with its current resolution range?

I guess people with old TV/monitor technology would class this as a ps5 win but for the rest of us living in 2021 and the every TV in the future it's a definite xbox series x win.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
xsx - Highest pixel count- 3456*1944 = 6.71 million pixels
Lowest pixel count- 2261*1272 = 2.87 million pixels
ps5 - Highest Pixel Count- 3008×1692 = 5.08 million pixels
Lowest Pixel Count- 2112*1188 = 2.50 million pixels

6.71/5.08 = 32%
2.87/2.50 = 14%

Seeing as how the XSX drops frames while the PS5 is locked, i think they might need to bring the max resolution down from 1944p to somewhere around 1800p. (3200*1800 =5.6 million pixels) The 14% difference in the lowest pixel count is probably a better indicator of performance difference between the two consoles.

It will be interesting to see if the xsx retains the 32% resolution advantage in the final version.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Imma need at least 500 replies before I know what to believe.

Warriors, hop to it.

Exactly. Hopefully it launches in a better optimized state.
Do you wanna do some coop on ps5 with the demo? i'm free tonight (so afternoon there in usa).

Send me a pm if you are interested.

vkbest

So do you still get the FPS dips even with a VRR enabled TV?

VRR don’t remove the dips. VRR is simply the tv or monitor refreshing to variable hz instead 60/120hz the panel can do. So this technology let remove the tearing when vsync is off and the judder because variable fps, but you can appreciate the game is less smooth, and the technology don’t work right when the FPS is too much variable.

Vasto

VRR don’t remove the dips. VRR is simply the tv or monitor refreshing to variable hz instead 60/120hz the panel can do. So this technology let remove the tearing when vsync is off and the judder because variable fps, but you can appreciate the game is less smooth, and the technology don’t work right when the FPS is too much variable.

Whats the difference between VRR and Freesync?

Can we get this thread to 10+ pages? I remember Control got two 20 page threads and the only difference in gameplay was PS5 performing better when you go on an elevator with the character.

My biggest issue with the game is that a lot of the text is almost impossible to read. There have also been a lot of audio bugs.

PaNaMa

Banned
Honest question for Xbox fans: Would you rather be the resolution king, or fps king?
It looks like Devs could easily tune Xbox dynamic resolution scaling to be more aggressive and reduce IQ to match PS5, and see performance gains.

If it was that simple why didn't released both demo at the same resolution?
It may be hard for you to comprehend but pushing a significantly higher resolution requires more processing power. Therefore lowering the resolution will improve performance, its simple to understand. The developer obviously decided a higher resolution was better for the Series X for better image clarity. It's also important to remember this is a demo and not final code, performance will almost certainly improve.

It looks hideous on every platform. Even PC ultra has the same ugly low quality shadows that consoles have.

Maybe it will open up later in the game but it’s been corridor like levels only so far so it’s not like it’s doing some grand open world.

It plays like a X360 game (not necessarily a bad thing) and looks like a high res eurojank PS4 or XB1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom