• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Demo - PS5 and Series X graphics and performance comparison

Shmunter

And then it turns out that it wasn't even an advantage since the XSX pushes more pixels per second. Wowza indeed.
images

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Let me dumb this down for you: if PS5 pushed the same resolution as the XSX, it would perform even worse.

You're bragging about higher pixels, yet that's what's causing it to drop so many frames.

This means Xbox Series X likely needs to *lower* its resolution to maintain a stable frame-rate.

They run at PS4 Pro settings while using the full power of the PS5. There is no emulation going on.

It doesn't use the full power.

Seriously. Why don't you take the time to look things up because you clearly don't know what you're even talking about? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

13:45: "The GPU is running in GCN Compatibility mode meaning the full architecture improvements of RDNA 2 won't be in effect here. Additionally, legacy PS4 may have the same amount of CPU cores as the Zen 2 cluster in PS5, but remember that the new console has simultaneous multi-threading support. SMT or hyper threading if you like which will not be tapped into in back compat mode"

Last edited:
The only way to compare pixel performance between 2 versions of a game is to have them both unlocked, or compare where both fail to hit their [60] FPS target at the same time. Because PS5 hits its target here we can not compare pixel performance in this case.

Last edited:
The only way to compare pixel performance between 2 versions of a game is to have them both unlocked, or compare where both fail to hit their [60] FPS target at the same time. Because PS5 hits its target here we can not compare pixel performance in this case.
We had this with Control Photo Mode and the losing side went into a complete meltdown because "photo mode doesn't count" even though it's basically the perfect GPU benchmark.

Could be a bug? Weren't there xbox multiplatform games that struggled in performance, but got fixed in patch? It's after all the worlds most powerful console, frame rate dips will get craiged out soon, err i mean ironed out soon.
It's not a bug, the XSX just pushes up to 32% more resolution.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bizarely some Xbox fans defend tooth and nail resolution over performance. I guess devs are catering to their preference. Yeah, it’s crazy, but what you going to do.
Some people could be doing that, heck I prefer the quality mode in Spider-man over the 60 FPS modes, but I do not go around criticising Sony’s cinematic games with a hard-on for hating on walking simulators (Edit: unless we are talking about Hellblade 2 which is also focused on cinematic presentation, storytelling, and atmosphere but is exempt from this criticism by those same individuals for some reasons... 🤔 the developer has not changed the way they are making games, but suddenly their titles are being anticipated or at least not attacked... :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
If you are happy with 11 fps, then the PS5 can push over 8K pixels. Ask MS why it stubbornly insists on 4K or almost 4K resolution, even at the cost of repeatedly worse framerate than the PS5. Politics.

If you are happy with 11 fps, then the PS5 can push over 8K pixels. Ask MS why it stubbornly insists on 4K or almost 4K resolution, even at the cost of repeatedly worse framerate than the PS5. Politics.
It's easy to prefer a higher resolution with small performance dips when you have a decent TV. Outriders plays silky smooth for me, only the cutscenes look like dog shit.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
It's easy to prefer a higher resolution with small performance dips when you have a decent TV. Outriders plays silky smooth for me, only the cutscenes look like dog shit.

Informed players on gaming forums like us make up less than 1/1000 percent of the gaming population. Therefore, I am absolutely sure that more than 9 out of 10 ordinary consumer players have no idea in what real resolution they are running on the screen, not even for orientation / fHD, 4K, they have no idea /.

Last edited:

Fredrik

unless they are Hellblade 2, for some reasons that developer has not changed the way they are making games, but suddenly their titles are being anticipated or at least not attacked... :rolleyes:
Come on now, Ninja Theory is a solid dev, and Hellblade was great, sitting at above 80 on metacritic on all platforms, even 88 on XB1 with a user score around 8 as well, and made with a small team on a tight budget. Don’t knock that. There is nothing strange about anticipating what they could do without a wallet problem.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Come on now, Ninja Theory is a solid dev, and Hellblade was great, sitting at above 80 on metacritic on all platforms, even 88 on XB1 with a user score around 8 as well, and made with a small team on a tight budget. Don’t knock that. There is nothing strange about anticipating what they could do without a wallet problem.
I like Ninja Theory and their games. I have been onboard that train since Heavenly Sword which is them without a wallet problem and great talent onboard (with a minor thematic hiccup called DMC). I think I will like HellBlade 2 as Hellblade 1 was a really creative piece of work, better HW and good backing should do wonders.

I am just not seeing such a huge difference from the kind of games they make and the kind of games Guerrilla makes with Horizon or Naughty Dogs does with Uncharted... you know, the much maligned cinematic waking simulators?
Some bitter and sad Sony fans have turned on their games and Hellblade because they were bought by MS, some Xbox fans are onboard because the game is exclusive and would probably laugh about it if it had gone the other way and they became a Sony first party.

How did you read what I wrote as knocking on Ninja Theory?

Last edited:
Ninja Theory is the best UK developer around and Tameen Antonidaes just one of the coolest people around. They're always been a great studio and so clever too like how they make their mocap or scanner equipment
Such as shame one of their best games ever Kung Fu Choas was caught up in PC gone nuts.

Also, I do laugh at some people going on about 3 or so drop frames. It's not an issue in Series X thanks to VRR. Of course, when PS5 gets VRR any small drops frame won't be called out because of VRR :p

reksveks

MS don't make that choice for 3rd party games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ninja Theory is the best UK developer around and Tameen Antonidaes just one of the coolest people around. They're always been a great studio and so clever too like how they make their mocap or scanner equipment

Not discussing their value or their games, I deeply enjoy their output (DMC aside, but not gameplay wise), you know full well that Heavenly Sword and Hell Blade games are not dissimilar in setup, focus on characters and environments, and storytelling as the “cinematic” walking simulators games like Uncharted, Horizon, and the latest GoW which get mocked for it (I disagree with this criticism as far as Ninja Thelry games or Uncharted, GoW, etc...).

The point was clear, but it almost feels deliberately misunderstood and stretched to imply insults or lack of appreciation for Ninja Theory high would be very disingenuous.

muteZX

Banned
MS don't make that choice for 3rd party games.

Take it as hyperbole and psychological pressure in the subconscious, crowd psychosis. The game on XSX must run at a higher resolution, although practice shows that the PS5 in stressful situations for the game engine keeps the framerate above 60 fps / 62-64 -68? /, while XSX drops to 51 fps. And now let's count the delta. The developer is certainly well aware that the higher resolution on XSX runs much worse, so where is the problem. Psychological pressure in the subconscious, heh.

Sony

Nintendo
I don't know why this topic is such a heated one. There is no debate that by en large, the Series X is more powerful than the PS5.
That doesn't mean that every Series X version of a game will perform/look better than the PS5 version.
You can agree that the Series X is more powerful and at the same time accept that not every Series X game will be better. An inferior Series X version isn't proof that the Series X hardware is less capabable, because it factually isn't. Why is that such a tough pill to swallow?

reksveks

Take it as hyperbole and psychological pressure in the subconscious, crowd psychosis. The game on XSX must run at a higher resolution, although practice shows that the PS5 in stressful situations for the game engine keeps the framerate above 60 fps / 62-64 -68? /, while XSX drops to 51 fps. And now let's count the delta. The developer is certainly well aware that the higher resolution on XSX runs much worse, so where is the problem. Psychological pressure in the subconscious, heh.
What's the point of the comment?

That devs are getting influenced to run at a higher resolution cause they think they have to run at a higher resolution? That's a dev issue primarily, Microsoft could give some guidance however they also have a console that currently has vrr so might be giving the devs the freedom to leverage that if they want to.

reksveks

On the ninja theory sub-thread, I also think a part of the reason that Microsoft bought them was cause they seem to have an inquisitive culture at the studio and Microsoft wanted to bring that into their library of game studio's.

muteZX

Banned
What's the point of the comment?

That devs are getting influenced to run at a higher resolution cause they think they have to run at a higher resolution? That's a dev issue primarily, Microsoft could give some guidance however they also have a console that currently has vrr so might be giving the devs the freedom to leverage that if they want to.

We dont know and less than 1% of TVs out there in use has VRR support .. 99% of others has frames stuttering.

reksveks

We dont know and less than 1% of TVs out there in use has VRR support .. 99% of others has frames stuttering.
That's fine. Implying it's a xbox/Microsoft mandate either implicit or explicit is clearly an assumption and don't know how to would be able to tell. So go for the simplest explanation, dev decided the current build was fine for the moment and for the audience so decided to push that.

If enough consumers care about constant performance, they will get that feedback.

muteZX

Banned
That's fine. Implying it's a xbox/Microsoft mandate either implicit or explicit is clearly an assumption and don't know how to would be able to tell. So go for the simplest explanation, dev decided the current build was fine for the moment and for the audience so decided to push that.

If enough consumers care about constant performance, they will get that feedback.

99% of players have no idea in what resolution the game is running, or on what framerate or what is VRR or what is VRS etc. In this particular game, the developer "sabotaged" the framerate at the expense of a resolution in which none of you knew anyway whether it was native 4K or not

There are tens of millions of TVs outside without VRR and at least 7 years will pass, while at least 50% of regular players will have that VRR TV.
This isn't about the average consumer. The average consumer plays FIFA and COD on a 7 year old 42 inch TV and doesn't give a shit about anything.

dr guildo

I don't know why this topic is such a heated one. There is no debate that by en large, the Series X is more powerful than the PS5.
That doesn't mean that every Series X version of a game will perform/look better than the PS5 version.
You can agree that the Series X is more powerful and at the same time accept that not every Series X game will be better. An inferior Series X version isn't proof that the Series X hardware is less capabable, because it factually isn't. Why is that such a tough pill to swallow?
Most People are mistaking power with performance, I think the main issue lies here. Xbox series X is more TF powerful than PS5, it’s a fact, now the real question is : is XseriesX more efficient ?

Last edited:
Not discussing their value or their games, I deeply enjoy their output (DMC aside, but not gameplay wise), you know full well that Heavenly Sword and Hell Blade games are not dissimilar in setup, focus on characters and environments, and storytelling as the “cinematic” walking simulators games like Uncharted, Horizon, and the latest GoW which get mocked for it (I disagree with this criticism as far as Ninja Thelry games or Uncharted, GoW, etc...).

The point was clear, but it almost feels deliberately misunderstood and stretched to imply insults or lack of appreciation for Ninja Theory high would be very disingenuous.
Ninja is very good with narrative mixed in with action. I thought Enslaved was brilliant too. I wouldn't look to compare, the biggest issues for most Ninja Theory games on the last gen was the need to keep them at 30 fps to run on the consoles
I've always thought the team are brilliant and the best in the UK.

To me, Hellblade 2 is going to be MS answer to God of War. AAA graphics with a strong character driven storyline with great hand to hand combat system

muteZX

Banned
This isn't about the average consumer. The average consumer plays FIFA and COD on a 7 year old 42 inch TV and doesn't give a shit about anything.

And because there are so few VRR positive snobs and so many non-VRR peasants, I declare that the developer should reduce the resolution of XSX games /optimally below the PS5 level, heh/ to achieve that effin stable framerate.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
And because there are so few VRR positive snobs and so many non-VRR peasants, I declare that the developer should reduce the resolution of XSX games /optimally below the PS5 level, heh/ to achieve that effin stable framerate.
If a developer truely catered for VRR, they would push the settings to the point where the fps fluctuates in perpetuity at the expense of any stability.

So yeah, I guess that’s kind of what they are doing on XSX.

Top Bottom