• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders demo | impressions thread

bargeparty

I went back and played some more, and most of my thoughts haven't changed, except:

They really rushed through the prologue. Maybe slow it down, do some more exploring...actually give time to get to know the people before everything goes to hell. Your character goes into the typical rough life talk..... It's so BASIC.

Let the prick bad guy at the start have a slow build at being a prick instead of just suddenly.

Games and shows these days act as if everyone has ADHD.

Do something about character creation. Why is it a lot of games now have the same damn shaved heads? Why do most of the guy faces look the same, and why can body styles be different?

It's all cookie cutter patterns. Lazy.

I did like the death animations, skin and flesh tearing off bones or whatever, but it shouldnt happen all the time.

Story could be OK, but plays like a bad late night scifi movie. The woman who puts you in cryo is stupid aggressive to you for no damn reason when you first meet her again, everyone calls you outrider...how about the people that know you call you by...your name?

They make being an outrider sound like it should BE something with no actual anything to back it up.

Is it the same handful of people that work on the same games? Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, Destiny, Avengers?

Can something kinda original pop up? Geez.

I think it's intentional. Not seeing any lead up media, I was expecting these people in the beginning to be big parts and ongoing conflict or whatever, nope, everyone just dies, and they keep dying.

Ogbert

I'll probably pick it up. Only as there's not much else on PS5 at the moment.

Trickster is fun. Teleport into shotgun is highly amusing. The powers are enjoyable and I imagine there will be some amusing builds to put together.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Started playing more of this game on PC and got to the town and rescued Jabuka. At this point, this game is a strong buy. It's using the Gears formula but has way better story, better characters and I love the RPG elements of the game that push it slightly above a typical action shooter.

Strongly recommended.
Must be like the only time we agree on something. It has a decent hook. Can’t comment on story as yet as I skipped just to get a feel for the action.

The visuals are unremarkably targeting a low tech baseline unfortunately. There no doubt to cast a net on the widest possible audience. Not that anything looks bad, it looks great in parts for sure.

Edit: Think they’ve really got something here. Content will seal its success.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
honestly devastator is most definitely the most op class of them all, dont know how people even struggle with it lol

this character is highly op for that WT, not the class, i played normally devastator and you have nearly 1000 armor, couple of hundreds of life and 350 damage. plus, i was clearly spoke about the boss fights to be extra difficult, did you missed that message? with mobs it is pretty good. but i am talking just from my experience with the game. Trickster is boss killer and easiest to play. other 2 are 50/50% to play. i think most people will gonna choose between devastator and trickster.

I mean I can't believe Outriders has the same shitty issues where mini bosses and mobs take upwards of 5+ minutes to beat even with a good build. They did the same shit as Destiny 2 and Division 2... ooooh wait they didn't.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Just finished my second playthrough as a Technomancer and it confirmed my thoughts about how the Trickster class is broken and unbalanced. I was able to complete the rescue of the Captain on the first try with the Technomancer on World Tier 4 while I kept dying with the Trickster. The Trickster doesn't have any long range attacks for such a squishy build. It requires you to get up and close with enemies like a tank but with attacks with paltry damage and high cool downs.

In the mission with the Captain before the end of the demo, you are greeted with snipers and enemies cowardly hiding behind cover. But you have no grenades and no ranged attacks so you have no choice but to get up close with only one attack that actually does any damage.

The Technomancer feels much better. It's not much of a ranged class as enemies bum rush you all the time, but at least you have more than one attack that does damage.

The Trickster is fun on lower world tiers, but on WT 4 it's an exercise in frustration.

Just finished my second playthrough as a Technomancer and it confirmed my thoughts about how the Trickster class is broken and unbalanced. I was able to complete the rescue of the Captain on the first try with the Technomancer on World Tier 4 while I kept dying with the Trickster. The Trickster doesn't have any long range attacks for such a squishy build. It requires you to get up and close with enemies like a tank but with attacks with paltry damage and high cool downs.

In the mission with the Captain before the end of the demo, you are greeted with snipers and enemies cowardly hiding behind cover. But you have no grenades and no ranged attacks so you have no choice but to get up close with only one attack that actually does any damage.

The Technomancer feels much better. It's not much of a ranged class as enemies bum rush you all the time, but at least you have more than one attack that does damage.

The Trickster is fun on lower world tiers, but on WT 4 it's an exercise in frustration.
Gonna chime in here that mods will make difference in the long run. For me Technomancer feels a bit meh in the demo due to lack of mods, and modifiers on weapons and skills that are actually usefull. In the Xbox Preview event when I played Technomancer you get some ... fun armor combos where you are able to stack up four grenades, and some other neat stuff.

Also one of the trickster's mods is that when you teleport to the enemies it causes damage to them, so that does some damage.

Gediminas

Banned

you are playing it wrong. i died like once with trickster and multiple times with other 3 characters. you have to teleport around and use the bubble strategic. bubble is for defense in the same time and offense, because you cast bubble and move inside it while killing enemies in close range, medium range or long range :) easy :)

anyways, it is just a demo. it is hard to say how the game will develop. for example i think for now that pyromancer and devastator will have biggest problem with bosses, and devastator will suffer from fights with non humans enemies. but maybe i think that because i saw what i saw and that could change later in the game?

p.s. you can find a gun which generates Shield, or leech the life, it will help a lot. but i like shield more.

Last edited:
the Trickster is the only class i didn't die with. The other ones i died a bunch. Trickster it feels like a completely different game. Its ez mode

Ogbert

Dude. I suck at games and I’m shredding everything on WT5 with the Trickster. Don’t use the blade skill. Pick the skill that buffs your ammo and then you mow everything down.

What’s with these difficulty comments? I just finished the demo, did all the side mission (I think) and haven’t died once, literally don’t know how death screen looks like. You use your abilities and health regenerates easily and with those guns that heal, even easier.

Does anyone know if Square Enix helped in any way with development of this game, even if it’s just with cutscenes?

Shmunter

Do we know if Dualsense haptics will be in for the final release? The game is great, but can go to the next level with some connected crunch to it all.

Macattk15

Maybe gaming isn’t a hobby for you because it’s an expensive hobby and if you see this only being worth ten i don’t know what more to say to that ridiculousness

I assure you that is not the reason I find this game bland. Perhaps you need to play some games that aren't just rehashed ideas of other games in the same genre? I like how your quote history has multiple mentions of gaming being an expensive hobby because someone thinks certain pieces of slop aren't worth more than others.

I was simply stating my opinion that the game is crap ... not trying to change yours.

Last edited:
I assure you that is not the reason I find this game bland. Perhaps you need to play some games that aren't just rehashed ideas of other games in the same genre?
Guess what every game is just rehashed ideas of other games that’s what gaming is nowadays. Gamers have seen and played it all so now its just about making fun and well made games to enjoy. I don’t go into every game looking for it to be the greatest thing just like I don’t for movies,shows or books because that’s just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Smoke6

Played online with a buddy and I’m not feeling that the mission starts over when one person dies and can’t be revived in time!

Other than what’s been spoken on as far as the floaty-ness the game is decent will buy

kuncol02

Banned

IMO Technomancer (at least what is in demo) is no good and I didn't liked to play with him. I guess thats testament to how differ playstyles of all classes are.

I've tried the demo on XSX, PS5 and a 2070s PC now. I have a VRR TV so there isn't much between the console versions but they are both clearly not native 4k despite what the marketing suggested.

PC seems ahead performance wise even without DLSS, 75 - 90 fps at 1440p ultra. There's no DLSS in the demo or at least I couldn't see an option for it. My TV is miles better than my monitor but it still looked better on PC - I think there is something wrong with the HDR on console as it doesn't look quite right.

Loading was like 2 seconds on all of the machines.

It controls so much nicer with mouse and keyboard. I'm used to Destiny 2 and that game really flatters your controller skill with all the auto aim but I didn't find controller aiming at all smooth in this game.

I don't think I would buy based on this demo but it's better than I thought it would be. Wait for sale I guess for me.

Gediminas

Banned
I've tried the demo on XSX, PS5 and a 2070s PC now. I have a VRR TV so there isn't much between the console versions but they are both clearly not native 4k despite what the marketing suggested.

PC seems ahead performance wise even without DLSS, 75 - 90 fps at 1440p ultra. There's no DLSS in the demo or at least I couldn't see an option for it. My TV is miles better than my monitor but it still looked better on PC - I think there is something wrong with the HDR on console as it doesn't look quite right.

Loading was like 2 seconds on all of the machines.

It controls so much nicer with mouse and keyboard. I'm used to Destiny 2 and that game really flatters your controller skill with all the auto aim but I didn't find controller aiming at all smooth in this game.

I don't think I would buy based on this demo but it's better than I thought it would be. Wait for sale I guess for me.
i will try to play it on SDR to see if there is any different between HDR and SDR on PS5. you are not only one who says that consoles has problem with HDR in this game.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Dude. I suck at games and I’m shredding everything on WT5 with the Trickster. Don’t use the blade skill. Pick the skill that buffs your ammo and then you mow everything down.
Every class is good in this game. It just depends on what gear you’re wearing, the mods you use, and the way you play. Trickster especially at the lvl cap in the demo is a monster. The twisted rounds skill can make your damage insane and while you say not to use the blade skill, it’s also extremely good as well for taking out packs of enemies. It’s just a class that’s designed to hit the enemy first and keep moving. That won’t be for everyone.

The fact that there are so many differing opinions on class viability is a good thing. I think only Pyromancer is actually kind of weak in these early lvls and it’s still doing fine just lags behind the others.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Likely an exaggeration...?
thatsthejoke.jpg

NullZ3r0

Banned
This helps. The damn blade takes to long to cool down.

This is definitely a $30 game for me, though. Not dropping $60 on this or any new live service looter shooter after the Anthem debacle. These types of games are generally shit shows for 6 months.

Bigfroth

I was enjoying this game up and till I hit the first real combat area then I just hit a wall. Not feeling the combat at all. I was liking the story arch and where they seem to be taking it though.

Game seems ok minus the technical issues,. Frankly it’s better than what I would have expected from the developer since it’s basically the first major game they’ve done on their own.

sainraja

Maybe gaming isn’t a hobby for you because it’s an expensive hobby and if you see this only being worth ten i don’t know what more to say to that ridiculousness
Games similar to it have gone free to play with only charging for new campaigns & seasonal content. They could follow the same model.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

This is definitely a $30 game for me, though. Not dropping $60 on this or any new live service looter shooter after the Anthem debacle. These types of games are generally shit shows for 6 months.

. . . there is nothing live service about this game.

Games similar to it have gone free to play with only charging for new campaigns & seasonal content. They could follow the same model.

If the game is a hit, I imagine expanding t content will come. As it is, barring post-launch content the game is as it is for good or ill.

Shmunter

Apparently this is not live service. You pay once and get it all.

Last edited:
Ever since this demo came out, I can't connect to anything in the PS5 store. I check my internet connection on the system and it's great, 100Mbps. But if I click on anything, it says "Can't find what you're looking for." I try searching for the demo, it says it can't connect.

Shmunter

I suggest people try the trickster class and play enough to get the 3 powers. That’s when the fun begins. Till then it can come across as vanilla.

Neolombax

Played the pyromancer class only, for all the story missions. Its amazingly average, from the story to the gameplay. Story wise, it's very serious in its tone, problem is I just cant take it seriously. I dont feel the urgency or the direness of the whole situation. But I will say that I am curious about where it will eventually go.

Gameplay wise, I thought the movement needs a bit more weight, the gunplay is too floaty for my liking, the environmental design is not great. I mean, you could literally tell when you walk into an engagement arena, there will be pillars and cover that seem to suddenly appear in the environment. There seems to be quite a few of cutscenes that are oddly placed in between the gameplay bits, and the cutscenes can be really mundane things like opening doors and jumping over gaps? The demo looked quite bad on my base ps4 too. I dont know if the full game looks way better but in a world where the Division 2 and Destiny 2 exists in comparison to this, this game could perform way way better in that department.

I quite liked the loot, they seem intresting and I like the visual style of it. And I quite liked gibbing enemies, not much of these things in games recently. It feels very satisfying.

I feel a bit letdown by this game, i wanted it to be more. Maybe if they really enhanced the visual quality in the full game for base ps4, I may buy it full price.

Dynomite

I knew nothing about this game before I saw that the demo was up on the PSN. Downloaded it and was amazed by how bad the character customization was. Dark Souls Remake has more options than this and they didn't even have to expand upon that aspect of the game.

The female VA is so flat and just poorly done. Gameplay doesn't feel tight or better than other options already out there. This feels like A GAAS game that won't take off at all.

Tomeru

I mean I can't believe Outriders has the same shitty issues where mini bosses and mobs take upwards of 5+ minutes to beat even with a good build. They did the same shit as Destiny 2 and Division 2... ooooh wait they didn't.

Where is the (mini) boss?

Also, which mini bosses and mobs in destiny 2 take over 5 minutes to kill even with a good build?

Last edited:

wArTHEIST

Neo Member
I absolutely love this demo. Gonna buy day 1 for sure.

I really don't care about the story, I skipped every cutscene during my first playthrough but decided to watch all of it on the 2nd one. I think it's fine. The characters and delivery is cheesy but I think that's what they're going for. That's what they're going for for the whole game, don't take it too seriously, just have fun.

And the gameplay is fucking fun! I put 9 hours into the demo, played through the story missions with all the classes several times. I love the abilites, I love the gunplay, I love the gore. Devastator is my favourite. The ability where you hover in the air, and basically airstrike yourself into a bunch of enemies and seeing them explode into a bloody mess is so satisfying.

The loot seems pretty gamechanging, too and I haven't even gotten a legendary yet. The mods are really impactful.

I really hope this game does well and People Can Fly support it with more content after release.

By the way you can replay the story missions with your leveled character, just go into the lobby and select the story point you wanna start at.

Top Bottom