• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders demo | impressions thread

Finished the demo (all quests) with Pyro and Trickster. Definitely prefer Trickster. Gonna try the other two now.

Some of the armor perks are really nice.

Anyone else finding it surprisingly difficult?

I died a few times once I hit World Tier 4, I think. I geared up pretty quickly shortly after that and starting wrecking shit with Trickster, though.

The altered mini-bosses (or whatever) can be kinda tough if you're surrounded by trash mobs but just prioritize your targets. Trickster can wreck serious shit.

If I had to rate the demo I would say a solid 7.7, whatever that's worth. Clear room for improvement, but some clear potential too

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

man, game is pretty bad in terms of graphics, animations..on pc it runs so smooth but it just feels like it has no weight...like a cheap animated game. i dunno, something off about it that i dont like. its my weakness though, this type of game, The Division 1 type of game. fuck, imma buy it. FUCK IT.

Shmunter

Yet to try, PS5 vids look sharp and locked 60...any issues?

Opening sequence reminds me of Halo Infinite, but with actual good gfx....

Mossybrew

Just got past where you pick a class and get to the first town, and yikes, the game does not make a good first impression. I am by no means giving up on it but in the first hour you are treated to a painfully generic story and characters, underwhelming graphics (facial animation and modeling are particularly substandard), and weightless unsatisfying gun combat.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Just played it. I think the gunplay is servicable but the controls are kind of floaty. While it is smooth, the game uses standard rumble features with the dualsense sadly. I don't think the outlook for this one is that hot sadly.

Banned
the game is, as expected, absolute mediocrity of the highest order.
the controls on controller are shit, on mouse it's serviceable at best, it runs like absolute ass on my 1070oc while looking not half as good as Gears 5 which runs like a dream.

the gameplay is gears of war mixed with Destiny and not a single original idea in sight. even the inventory menu looks like a direct copy paste of Destiny.

absolutely dogshit, will probably die within 6 months.
it won't be as much of a disaster as BioWare's try at a Destiny clone, but it won't fair much better either.

this game looked mediocre when it was revealed, it sounded mediocre whenever they talked about it and now playing it it is confirmed mediocre to the point where I woild rather play a really bad but at least interesting game. nothing in this game is really bad, just copy/pasted from other games with not a single original concept and that is worse than having a badly made game with interesting mechanics or concepts

oh I forgot to say that I also had 3 bugs during the opening mission alone :)

first I was stuck in the slow walking mode. meaning I could do nothing but walk and that in the slowest possible way. I finally asked my friend who was on voice chat with me if that was normal because even after I was supposed to go out on the open field I was still only able to walk at a snails pace.
so i had to restart the game again! YAY!

then I was unable to roll using the dedicated roll/vault button... but I was still able to roll by pressing the "cover" button twice...

and then again I was unable to sprint and had to restart :) yay

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm enjoying it so far. I went with the Tank class. I did have a crash in the beginning area. I had a bug where the text dialog was a few lines a head of voice. Also it looks washed out and the motion blur made me sick at first. That being said I'm having a lot of fun. I did a mission with a friend and that was a lot more fun. For anyone who didn't see it you have to go into gameplay options and turn crossplay on. Then go to the coop and generate code.

It is sorta beta but has a lot of potential.

Stuart360

Finished the demo, and really liked it, 8/10.
Its like a sci fi version of the Division, and the Division 2 was one of my fave games from last gen.
Bring it on!.

Just got past where you pick a class and get to the first town, and yikes, the game does not make a good first impression. I am by no means giving up on it but in the first hour you are treated to a painfully generic story and characters, underwhelming graphics (facial animation and modeling are particularly substandard), and weightless unsatisfying gun combat.
ditto :(

Mossybrew

Yeah its like a Division/Destiny hybrid. Unlike the Division you should never be in cover for more than a few seconds at a time, cover in that game was a lifestyle here you use it to grab a few seconds to orient yourself, give your cooldowns a few seconds more, maybe take a few potshots at enemies, then decide where to charge off next. I'm starting to enjoy combat more as it is pretty fast and keeps you on your toes, Im just hoping later guns have a better feel, even the beginner guns in Destiny and the Division just sounded and felt better to shoot.

Last edited:
im having a little more fun now, that i changed my playstyle. I was playing it like Gears of war which was a mistake. I was staying in cover alot. Which is what i assume what you would do considering there is cover everywhere. But i was dying a lot. And also getting swarmed as a Pyromancer.

New strategy. be aggressive, be be agressive. Also...like Chael Sonnen says, "i can't let u get close". Moving around a lot more and trying to nail headshots with the sniper is making this a better experience for me

TheMan

got to play and it’s ok at best. The story has been told in a disjointed way so far (and it’s b-grade schlock), but more importantly the shooting just doesn’t feel great. Not enough oomph. Might pick up for 20 at the end of the yeat

Pantz

Gold Member
Combat seems pretty fun.

Everything else seems pretty generic.

Can't get attached to anything the create a character offered and the dialog from main character is so generic too.

RavageX

So after all my time here I still don't know what is allowed and isn't, but my opinions of this so far(I am slightly intoxicated btw).

Generic. Create a character is as generic as you can get. The armor, generic. Nothing stands out any different from any other space marine bullshit I've played in the past 5 or so years. It's as if everyone is trying to copy Mass Effect or something, only now all games have the same damn hairstyles, the faces barely change, and the story starts off as if your character is already had a hard life, as if you are expected to buy that shit already.

How about letting YOU shape your character's past?

I haven't even gotten to the action and I'm already bored with it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So after all my time here I still don't know what is allowed and isn't, but my opinions of this so far(I am slightly intoxicated btw).

Generic. Create a character is as generic as you can get. The armor, generic. Nothing stands out any different from any other space marine bullshit I've played in the past 5 or so years. It's as if everyone is trying to copy Mass Effect or something, only now all games have the same damn hairstyles, the faces barely change, and the story starts off as if your character is already had a hard life, as if you are expected to buy that shit already.

How about letting YOU shape your character's past?

I haven't even gotten to the action and I'm already bored with it.
. . .did you even bother to get out of the prologue?

LordCBH

I want to like it...but it just felt off to me. Doesnt help that no matter what video settings I used it ran not great for me

hard_boiled

Neophyte
This game looks cool! Regardless I'm interested... If I can ever get my hands on a TV & a PS5 😉

I assume the voice acting is done, but they decided to play music over it for cinematic purposes?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Behold, the epic story of Mr. Chang.

Part 1 (I barely knew the):

Part 2 (They call me Lady Vengeance):

Part 3 (Aftermath):

Now excuse my while I run to pre-order this masterpiece.

cripterion

Gotta give devs props for creating a demo but at the same time disappointed, when you get a demo nowadays, it usually means the devs are confident in their product, this sent a big signal to me to stay away from their product.

Wow didn't imagine it could be so bad, shitty graphics, crashes in prologue (PS5) , so so performance on pc, game defaults to French and on both pc and console and not only VA was god awful, with no lipsync but the audio sounds totally muffled, like it was recorded inside a shitter, the gameplay... Well... 🤣🤣🤣

They ran a nice media campaign for the last past months and they are hitting all the right notes with crossplay but the game is a dud.

I think the game might get picked on PS5 cause of the game drought but it's back to Nioh 2 for me.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

It's so generic...I can't anymore.
Now excuse my while I run to pre-order this masterpiece.

Kristen Wiig Movie GIF by Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar

sainraja

I think I am going to stick with Destiny 2. I have a preference towards third person shooters but this didn't sway me.

bargeparty

I kinda dig this. Little janky but it's got some weird charm. I knew nothing about it so after that prologue I'm like wtf is this world.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Why aren't there any mobs to farm out in the frontlines after you've run through it once? It's just and empty map, with nothing to do in it.

GymWolf

Yeah, screw proper controls and no pay for online. 200+ fps with g sync is overrated anyway.
I don't play anything over 60 frame and i usually play this stuff solo, i also hate playing with m+k so controller is the way to go for me no matter the platform.

I don't need the reminder of why pc gaming is great, i already play 98% of games on pc my dude.

Last edited:

martino

So i played up to level 5 world level 4 1/2
The gameplay is pleasing and smooth (tank class) rewarding a lot huge aggressiveness
The tone changes from other productions and have a taste of those 80/90 testosterone movies.
Everything else is meh imo...animation , feedback and visuals (DA and tech) are a mix bag .
There is also a feeling they wanted AAA level of staging without the mean put into it.
The need to log in to see the title screen was also a bad surprise.
It seems the specs on paper didn't met reality and this will not be enough for me to feed my destiny needs.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Playing on PS5 and besides cutscenes, this game is running flawless - and holy shit the loading times are lightning fast!
200.gif

SCB3

I have a few thoughts

• This feels like a game from 2009, very clear Mass Effect 2 vibes from the controls
  • The story seems ok, I liked it more once the prologue was done
  • It feels buggy, there were multiple times I couldn't take cover, or I'd jump over the cover instead
  • The enemies just spawning out of nowhere really annoys me, like it's not fair when 3 or 4 enemies spawn directly behind me and take half my health, I don't even get a chance
  • the skills are cool, I played as a Tank class, seems good
  • That first side mission boss can fuck right off, that is some unfair bullshit, not only can he fully heal, he has a flame spiral attack that not only tracks you, it spans on you and you cannot take cover for long, so the enemies have free range on you in a small area with loads of objects around so even rolling doesn't help.

I'm not sold yet, it left an underwhelming impression on me and is definitely a wait for a sale game, then again its somewhat cheaper on PC where I played it, so could be good for a lull in releases

Oh there's an impressions thread. Whoops, I posted this elsewhere:
Played a few hours with friends last night and we had a blast. The story is 1000x better than Destiny already, I'm super intrigued over where it's going.

That said, it is kinda janky. Especially the cover mechanics and vaulting.

So yeah, I'm digging it so far.

I will say this, though: I wasn't expecting such jank from the developers of Bulletstorm. From what I remember, that game was really fluid and smooth. As a result of the jankiness, the gunplay in this game reminded me a lot of Remnant From the Ashes.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
That was some of the worst trash I have played in some time. Holy shit, this is what the industry thinks people want nowdays? We're in deep shit, folks.

- The graphics are fucking terrible
- The voice acting is even worse
- CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen
- Just let me skip the entire cutscene instead of making me hammer the escape..I mean space..no I mean escape...Jesus game, pick one?
- It's a cover based shooter where your character doesn't get in cover unless you specifically target a sweet spot on the cover and press space at exactly the right time (I'm sure that'll be SUPER FUN in challenging content)
- Oh hey, generic loot so generic it makes vanilla Destiny look like the peak of creativity
- It would be nice if my guns fired bullets instead of harsh language (The Division syndrome!)
- Waist high walls? I guess this is where the next fight is! The combat arenas (and that's all the game is) were designed by an intern from Gears 5. A particularly untalented one!
- Skill pool has about as much depth as your typical Euro-trash shooter
- I love being locked in small arenas with enemies that magically get vomited out from a spawn location until an invisible bar is filled
- ...and who doesn't love shooter games with melee enemies that move like Sonic the Hedgehog and don't have hitstun

I bailed after a few hours. This is the Division, but with half the talent and budget. We must be experiencing some kind of serious gaming drought to even consider playing this kind of garbage for $60.
NEx8X9P.png

Top Bottom