• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders demo | impressions thread

phant0m

Just played for 2.5 hours straight and wanted more. Playing as trickster.

Yay
  • Looks good. Not mind-blowing but the visual effects are great.
  • Runs very well
  • I like the characters and VA work
  • Gunplay is precise and fast, sound impactful
  • Powers feel good
  • Solid OST
  • EASY FAST TRAVEL
  • Enemies are not bullet sponges (for the most part)
Nay
  • Loot has been pretty meh
  • Melee feels a little janky
  • Art direction is a little too generic sci-fi

Really enjoying it so far, this is very likely going to a buy for me. Probably won't try the other classes until release so I have something fresh to start with friends.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Story complaints. In a looter-shooter? Really?

. . .and I'm fine with the gameplay - at the lower level. This idea that you're going to get the flash right out of the pan is ludicrous. Can clearly see where things are going in terms of development of your character and reaching endgame and then doing those bespoke maps.

I will say the cutscene transitions are pretty bad, though the suggestion that this looks like a PS3 game because the face models aren't great is just dumb.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
This demo
james franco sandwich GIF

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Played until you choose a class, very boring average third person shooter with loot elements, probably won't be picking this game up.

. . .so you played what is basically a long cutscene and didn't bother to actually try out anything the game eventually gives you? Sounds legit.

Anywho - tried the Technomancer and though its cooldowns are long (compared to the Pyromancer) I can see the utility in the area denial. Wish we could see what the rest of the powers are but I guess they need to save something for the full release. Definitely picking this up on April 1st.

Croga

Have been looking forward to playing this all day, had my eye on the game for a few months and been watching all the dev diaries.

Downloaded on PS5, just finished work, time to get stuck in!

Crashes during the intro cutscene 3 times in a row, can't even get to the title screen...

Wtf is this shit lol

VN1X

Banned
Unfortunately it's unplayable on PC for me. Massive frame stutter every few seconds. Hope they patch it soon or come up with a workaround.

Lanrutcon

That was some of the worst trash I have played in some time. Holy shit, this is what the industry thinks people want nowdays? We're in deep shit, folks.

- The graphics are fucking terrible
- The voice acting is even worse
- CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen
- Just let me skip the entire cutscene instead of making me hammer the escape..I mean space..no I mean escape...Jesus game, pick one?
- It's a cover based shooter where your character doesn't get in cover unless you specifically target a sweet spot on the cover and press space at exactly the right time (I'm sure that'll be SUPER FUN in challenging content)
- Oh hey, generic loot so generic it makes vanilla Destiny look like the peak of creativity
- It would be nice if my guns fired bullets instead of harsh language (The Division syndrome!)
- Waist high walls? I guess this is where the next fight is! The combat arenas (and that's all the game is) were designed by an intern from Gears 5. A particularly untalented one!
- Skill pool has about as much depth as your typical Euro-trash shooter
- I love being locked in small arenas with enemies that magically get vomited out from a spawn location until an invisible bar is filled
- ...and who doesn't love shooter games with melee enemies that move like Sonic the Hedgehog and don't have hitstun

I bailed after a few hours. This is the Division, but with half the talent and budget. We must be experiencing some kind of serious gaming drought to even consider playing this kind of garbage for $60.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

That was some of the worst trash I have played in some time. Holy shit, this is what the industry thinks people want nowdays? We're in deep shit, folks.

- The graphics are fucking terrible
- The voice acting is even worse
- CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen
- Just let me skip the entire cutscene instead of making me hammer the escape..I mean space..no I mean escape...Jesus game, pick one?
- It's a cover based shooter where your character doesn't get in cover unless you specifically target a sweet spot on the cover and press space at exactly the right time (I'm sure that'll be SUPER FUN in challenging content)
- Oh hey, generic loot so generic it makes vanilla Destiny look like the peak of creativity
- It would be nice if my guns fired bullets instead of harsh language (The Division syndrome!)
- Waist high walls? I guess this is where the next fight is! The combat arenas (and that's all the game is) were designed by an intern from Gears 5. A particularly untalented one!
- Skill pool has about as much depth as your typical Euro-trash shooter
- I love being locked in small arenas with enemies that magically get vomited out from a spawn location until an invisible bar is filled
- ...and who doesn't love shooter games with melee enemies that move like Sonic the Hedgehog and don't have hitstun

I bailed after a few hours. This is the Division, but with half the talent and budget. We must be experiencing some kind of serious gaming drought to even consider playing this kind of garbage for $60.
I already know this is full of shit.

1. You get damaged when behind cover, the game rewards aggressive gameplay with the healing abilities tied to damaging.
2. Graphics arnt that bad compared to other titles and graphics dont make everything, you dont see valheim getting complaints
3. Takes an extra 2 seconds to press space to skip the cutscene
4. Skill pool is brilliant when put in combo with other classes in co-op even when solo

Enjoy

Ovek

7Member7
The combat is the only highlight in a somewhat dull boring by the numbers sci-fi Gears/Borderlands clone. I say the combat is a highlight but it isn’t as tight or anywhere as good as Gears.

Also the first mission you do after the tutorial slog at the start to save that Russian dude is a single room arena, lol come on lads that’s a poor show.

Everything about it feels like a game that should have come out 10 years ago.

I already know this is full of shit.

1. You get damaged when behind cover, the game rewards aggressive gameplay with the healing abilities tied to damaging.
2. Graphics arnt that bad compared to other titles and graphics dont make everything, you dont see valheim getting complaints
3. Takes an extra 2 seconds to press space to skip the cutscene
4. Skill pool is brilliant when put in combo with other classes in co-op even when solo

Enjoy

The trailer literally says "cover is for cowards, be aggressive, kill to heal," so yeah while cover is part of the combat, it isn't designed to be played like Gears, not IMO anyway

The more I play, the more I like it honestly. Started at about a 6 for me and is closer to an 8 right now. Just IMO

CitizenZ

Banned
Just played for 2.5 hours straight and wanted more. Playing as trickster.

Yay
  • Looks good. Not mind-blowing but the visual effects are great.
  • Runs very well
  • I like the characters and VA work
  • Gunplay is precise and fast, sound impactful
  • Powers feel good
  • Solid OST
  • EASY FAST TRAVEL
  • Enemies are not bullet sponges (for the most part)
Nay
  • Loot has been pretty meh
  • Melee feels a little janky
  • Art direction is a little too generic sci-fi

Really enjoying it so far, this is very likely going to a buy for me. Probably won't try the other classes until release so I have something fresh to start with friends.
Im right at 2 hrs and so far everything is solid. Totally agree, it looks ok not sharp but the performance is incredible. Also, if you liked PCF other game Bulletstorm like i do, you can feel that story telling and good gameplay is here. I actually laughed and cared about what was going on in a looter shooter, holy shit what year is this? if you want direct comparison its Gears/ Mad Max/Borderlands and its working very, very well.

Kuranghi

In the cutscenes the MC just randomly makes really loud grunts and other noises and I can't stop laughing, its actually keeping me playing even though the gameplay is only okay so far, the loot is so slow as well. He goes "UGGHH" suddenly like 3x louder than the dialogue when he's performing some really minor exertion :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Holy fuck I'm disappointed with this one. The previous trailers had me fooled.

Audio in this game is complete junk, mad mixing, music too loud, voice acting too low. Also lots of de-synced cutscenes, really off putting.

Gameplay is as bland as it could be, they tried to mix the Division 2 with all the crappy parts of Gears of War.

Hard pass.

phant0m

I tried it and found it incredibly boring but I only played until you can pick your class and land at the first real town.

I’ll try some more tomorrow but seems like a fast division.

Yeah you haven't even started the game tbh. IMO they should have nixed the entire prologue for this demo. I appreciated the "setup", but it's clear making people slog through the first 45 minutes has left negative impressions with quite a few folks.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah you haven't even started the game tbh. IMO they should have nixed the entire prologue for this demo. I appreciated the "setup", but it's clear making people slog through the first 45 minutes has left negative impressions with quite a few folks.
Yeah, though you can't really skip the prologue when progress carries over; you'd miss out on the story in the full game.

Mr.ODST

Some co-op skills, Trickster using Time bubble to sponge the bullets which let the Technomancer get out and use rocket turret and shoot.

Couple of extra things

- The game actually isnt easy, died a few times even though you heal through damage or kills, utilizing each others skills can be quite tactical at points.
- Perks on armour are useful
- Game FINALLY doesnt shit out loot every second so I spend all my time in menu's, keeps loot very concise which is good
- Shops in game have improved items which makes you want to keep checking them for upgrades which inturn makes you want to keep upgrading and getting resources in the world map

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Trickster using Time bubble to sponge the bullets which let the Technomancer get out and use rocket turret and shoot.
Not a really good use of the bubble IMO, trickster is supposed to be in the enemy face 100% of the time, so they should teleport away and simply draw aggro.
That way technomancer can just do whatever he wants.
Here's a little clip from my stream, I feel like this is maximum trickster ;P

Twitch embed isn't working so here's a link

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned

But once you have done it once, you have the option to choose your class and start from that point for now on. Sort of like BL3 you can start at level 13.

Stuart360

Delrith (used to be part of AngryJoe's team) really likes the game, and he says he's enjoying it more than Destiny 2, and he likes Destiny 2.
Just having a cofee than i'm going to give the demo a proper try myself.

Mr.ODST

Not a really good use of the bubble IMO, trickster is supposed to be in the enemy face 100% of the time, so they should teleport away and simply draw aggro.
That way technomancer can just do whatever he wants.
Yup can play that way but in this area there is a ton of ranged enemies and health was running low, since my abilities are long ranged team mate used his bubble to protect me and let me apply some pressure, the fact we had two different playstyles shows some pretty cool stuff

Croga

Nice to hear a lot of positive impressions of this so far.

I still can't get a consistent connection going without crashing. Seems to be plenty of threads around about crashing problems on multiple formats of the demo so I'll be parking this for now myself.

Hopefully they'll work out the issues before release.

Bartski

Gold Member
The whole single-player prologue is just horrible and totally redundant, with audio constantly going out of sync and dialog you'll be skipping after the first cutscene I barely slogged through it to the action, which then looks and plays like a shooter from 2013. Not going any further.

my impression thus far...is it already has better loot, more interesting characters and more cutscenes than all of Anthem. So thats a plus.

The controls are loosey goosey. And things become a fustercluck up close. Cover shooters always have control issues (with division 2 being one that gave me the least hassle). Im a pyromancer. And im not super impressed with the abilities thus far. They just didn't wow me. some weapon effects are cool tho like freezing.

its kinda generic space wastelandy. But its a little cooler and more violent than i expected. Ive never been a fan of the dusty desert Hubworld like Mad Max, Rage etc... But its tolerable so far. The controls aren't up to par with other AAA 3rd person shooters. But i do enjoy the guns and shooting. so theres that.

Top Bottom