• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Coming to Microsoft Store on Windows with Game Pass for PC and Ultimate on October 19

Vasto

OutridersGamePass_1920x1080.jpg

Summary​

• Hit sci-fi RPG shooter Outriders is coming to Microsoft Store on Windows and with Game Pass for PC and Ultimate on October 19.
  • Veteran Outriders on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S can transfer progress between console and the Windows version.
  • Outriders supports Cross Play, allowing you to experience the game with players on other supported platforms.

Attention, Outriders! We’re excited to announce that our hit sci-fi RPG shooter Outriders is launching for the Microsoft Store on Windows and with Game Pass for PC and Ultimate on October 19!

Kuranghi

Shame about this one, I believe I had just finished playing the remaster of Bulletstorm, which was pretty good, when this got announced and it seemed like more silly bone melting fun but it didnt turn out that way from what I played in the beta, the game was boring af for the first couple of hours and even if i imagined how powered up the abilities could be it wouldn't make it as fun as Bulletstorm's gameplay loop imo.

I don't know maybe they changed things after the beta? Tell me OutriderGAFfers.

Efe

Just beat it on PC Gamepass, I quite liked the gameplay and story but it has failed as an online "games-as-a-service" game I guess.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's funny how people assume since it's a looter shooter it's a GAAS game?

Or is it because it was on GamePass in the first place?

It's rather confusing why anyone would just jump to that conclusion.

Topher

Gold Member
No MTX.. no season pass or anything like it... may never even be a DLC.

But sure, it's the dev who said the dumb stuffe and not you lol

Care to explain how this game is in any way GAAS?

I think a lot of folks are associating GaaS with multiplayer centric emphasis. Isn't a GaaS game simply a game that is continually offering new content? Not like a game simply with DLC, but a game that offers more and more content over a greater period of time. No Man's Sky comes to mind. Sea of Thieves. A lot of MMOs, I would think. Halo Infinite. Marvel's Avengers. As you stated, Outriders doesn't have any new content at all. So assuming my understanding of GaaS is correct, I agree Outriders doesn't fit in that mold at all.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
is this a dead gaem?
If you're looking for online co-op matchmaking? Yes, pretty much. Once you finish the endgame maps, there's no real reason to continue unless you really like the game and want to tweak out your gear more. And as far as we know, there's no dlc, seasons, or ladders coming any time soon.

Still, it's worth checking out if you haven't done so. It's a fun game even solo imo.

Last edited:
The game is great, and can be even finished alone (the story mode). My biggest gripe (and a lot of people's) that they decided to nerf the shit out of a few things in the first week, then they take ages to buff things up. Skills and weapons are broken. The endgame is complete shit show, with the game's entire premise of: "Build Diversity, and fun" , thrown out the window as the game becomes: WHO CAN PUMP OUT MORE DPS in 10 minutes per map. This resulted in one class (which is actually really good with a few skills that can literally make enemies disappear) , the Devestators completely shunned, as they don't have bullet based skills.

I think we're going to get either a massive DLC, or an expansion pack where they might rework the endgame. Everybody hates it, and the enemies actually become bullet sponges if you play with two or three people. They completely kneecapped themselves in terms of longevity, but in the long run I don't think they care from a Dev standpoint. Before this game came out they already started work on two other AAA Games, one for Take Two, and the other for either Square or someone else. They sold a lot of copies on PC cause of all the goodwill they gathered, and then kinda just pissed it all away, at one point it had 100k players.

Plus this game is available on PC, Stadia, Xbox , PlayStation, and the next gen consoles. People Can Fly, and Square should have just cut it down to PS5,Xbox Series X/S, and PC. Cause supporting five platforms is just too much for them. The net code is horrible also at times.

The campaign is great though, so just play that and ignore the endgame, because it is infuriatingly undercooked

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think a lot of folks are associating GaaS with multiplayer centric emphasis. Isn't a GaaS game simply a game that is continually offering new content? Not like a game simply with DLC, but a game that offers more and more content over a greater period of time. No Man's Sky comes to mind. Sea of Thieves. A lot of MMOs, I would think. Halo Infinite. Marvel's Avengers. As you stated, Outriders doesn't have any new content at all. So assuming my understanding of GaaS is correct, I agree Outriders doesn't fit in that mold at all.

It's a somewhat fuzzy term, but if you aren't continuously adding paid content, you aren't GAAS. Outriders can't be... really No Mans Sky isn't either.

The key is a game built for a continuing revenue model. Subscription based games are the most obvious, and the original GAAS games. World of Warcraft being the most famous.

Then the industry realized that model wasn't going to really work for most games; for a number of reasons, but mainly because.. most gamers dont want to subscribe to a service for a single game.. not directly anyways, the psychology of it doesn't work.

But the industry still wanted a lot of "post purchase revenue".. so we got:

1) MTX, horse armor! doesn't make you GAAS either, but these were introduced more to pad the price of a game
2) Pre-defined DLC, nothing really new.. we've had "DLC" since the 90s.. but what they did was started promising a specific set of DLC before the game even launches and then letting you buy the "Season Pass" or "Ultimate Edition" or whatever.. again not REALLY GAAS.. but we were getting there.. these again were more methods to pad the price of a game..
3) The industry then went "aha!! what if we just endlessly release DLC and MTX..." and modern GAAS was born... early innovators realized there was so much money in this, you could even release... your initial game.. FOR FREE
4) This has been refined over the years, now we have "Seasons" and "Battle Passes".. these are KINDA like the "Season Passes" of "get all the DLC at once!" approach, but they are designed to happen constantly and consistently, usually roughly quarterly..
5) Games in this genre rarely if ever get sequels.. because why would you need a sequel? You are getting sequel money every year from some of your players.. some? Every quarter.. or month.. or day... again, most famous of these "games that never get sequels" being.. World of Warcraft... approaching it's 17th birthday.

What you are left with is games that basically act like subscription service games.. but hide it behind a bunch of other carrots on a stick.. and also hide it by making it POSSIBLE to just buy the base game and play. Of course w/ a year or 2 half of the content won't be available to you lol

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Most fun MP I had this yr, besides NW and def. has huge potential for the future. But its bargain bin now with a player base of about zero.

Top Bottom