• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlets start receiving their PS5 review hardware

thelastword

Banned
What is Grubb going on about, PS5 will have 8K games.........Similar to the people so concerned about if the PS5 logo says DTS-X.....Some people are concerned about the most insignificant things......How is 8K on a box so triggering to some. Don't want it don't buy it......I know he is trying the false marketing angle, but even then he is wrong.......There will be plenty of 8k games and videos to play on PS5...

It's not about people buying PS5 no matter what, it's Xbox to blame for lacking games that people wanna play. Xbox had most of the hype early on, and they shot themselves on the foot for not delivering the bare minimum of acceptable launch titles.
Even if PS5 has no single game people would still go and buy it. Period.

In the cloud services, it's getting crowded now and Amazon is a much bigger company and could seriously bleed them to bankruptcy forcing cheaper deals and combining them with Prime.
Have you looked at cloud market share charts? It is nowhere near a situation when Amazon is akin monopoly there despite having 30% of Cloud. And as far as I remember MSFT's share is growing year by year. However, a strong point of AWS is that it used by both Netflix and Disney+ so it has more leeway there as it can make deal easier - probably - with either of services.

Stadia are still around and they might get their comeback moment as well. Sony putting PS Now as a side dish, although being the pioneers, because it's a race where everybody loses, like what's happening now with Netflix, Disney+, etc all drowning in debts.
Debt is not a concern for Netflix. At least not for now or the nearest future. It will be fine - just like democrats like bailing out banks - Netflix will deal with that just fine. Microsoft is in a slightly better position because they can sell games on PC or Xbox for example, so streaming is not the single revenue stream for the games - until the number of subscriptions increases to a certain point.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Have you looked at cloud market share charts? It is nowhere near a situation when Amazon is akin monopoly there despite having 30% of Cloud. And as far as I remember MSFT's share is growing year by year. However, a strong point of AWS is that it used by both Netflix and Disney+ so it has more leeway there as it can make deal easier - probably - with either of services.

Microsoft consistently refuses to report on Azure’s actual revenue, instead choosing to only report growth, which is a useless metric without money earned. Given that Microsoft shout figures from the rooftops when things are going well, and keep thing quiet when they’re not, it indicates Azure isn‘t going quite as well as some comparisons might indicate.

Amazon also have a seven year head start on cloud tech, and AWS is markedly more advanced than any other cloud service provider.

Seriously, Amazon will wipe the floor with Msft if it comes to it - hence why Msft bought Bethesda. They’re bolstering for an oncoming storm.

Last edited:
Microsoft consistently refuses to report on Azure’s actual revenue, instead choosing to only report growth, which is a useless metric without money earned. Given that Microsoft shout figures from the rooftops when things are going well, and keep thing quiet when they’re not, it indicates Azure isn‘t going quite as well as some comparisons might indicate.

Microsoft shows the numbers only when they surpass their competitors. They don't show numbers in order to avoid the comparisons. Just like with streaming services - the metric is the number of subscriptions, but revenue is not that important for now.

Amazon had a headstart - it was a pioneer in the cloud as far as I recall.
But
Seriously, Amazon will wipe the floor with Msft if it comes to it - hence why Msft bought Bethesda. They’re bolstering for an oncoming storm.
It is extremely hyperbolic LMAO

In general, Amazon is stronger because it is kinda solidified itself on a lot of various markets and able to use the same input-output model trick as Microsoft - basically Bezos own one of the biggest internet shops(e-commerce), cloud infrastructure, has TV streaming service, now entering the game streaming market, has music streaming service, investing into space and satellite internet. However, it is a bigger danger to be split into multiple companies than Microsoft. Microsoft learned in 90s that becoming too big alone is dangerous, that is why I willing to bet that MSFT is highly like to create coalition with various companies, each of them is good in their own area.
Considering how american government is eyeing breaking up companies like Google or Amazon or Facebook, Microsoft is in much better position for the future.

Last edited:
What is Grubb going on about, PS5 will have 8K games.........Similar to the people so concerned about if the PS5 logo says DTS-X.....Some people are concerned about the most insignificant things......How is 8K on a box so triggering to some. Don't want it don't buy it......I know he is trying the false marketing angle, but even then he is wrong.......There will be plenty of 8k games and videos to play on PS5...

That 8K marketing looks like the movie thing, like support for 8k video/movie streaming services. I won't count on 8k resolution games unless we want them running at 10fps or something :D

FunkMiller

It is extremely hyperbolic LMAO

In general, Amazon is stronger because it is kinda solidified itself on a lot of various markets and able to use the same input-output model trick as Microsoft - basically Bezos own one of the biggest internet shops(e-commerce), cloud infrastructure, has TV streaming service, now entering the game streaming market, has music streaming service, investing into space and satellite internet. However, it is a bigger danger to be split into multiple companies than Microsoft. Microsoft learned in 90s that becoming too big alone is dangerous, that is why I willing to bet that MSFT is highly like to create coalition with various companies, each of them is good in their own area.
Considering how american government is eyeing breaking up companies like Google or Amazon or Facebook, Microsoft is in much better position for the future.

You accuse me of being hyperbolic... then proceed to list most of the reasons why Amazon will definitely win any eventual cloud streaming gaming war.

Also, the US government aren't going to split Amazon up. That's just not going to happen. It's yet another one of Trump's empty threats, thrown at people he doesn't like, and who don't like him. If your main argument for why Msft will be able to compete with Amazon long term is a threat that Amazon are going to be split up, then you're on a bit of a hiding to nothing, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Calverz

Amazon also have a seven year head start on cloud tech, and AWS is markedly more advanced than any other cloud service provider.

God why do you have such a stick up your ass over microsoft? Every thread its anti microsoft this, anti microsoft that?
You know they are the best hope for gamers in the cloud wars??

You accuse me of being hyperbolic... then proceed to list most of the reasons why Amazon will definitely win any eventual cloud streaming gaming war.
I never stated that Amazon will win the cloud streaming war.

Also, the US government aren't going to split Amazon up. That's just not going to happen. It's yet another one of Trump's empty threats, thrown at people he doesn't like, and who don't like him. If your main argument for why Msft will be able to compete with Amazon long term is a threat that Amazon are going to be split up, then you're on a bit of a hiding to nothing, I'm afraid.
It will be split, one way or another. Amazon has become too strong. In its influence is close to reaching the level of its own government. While Facebook or Google concentrate their efforts on media, Amazon is trying to dominate everywhere else. Eventually, AMZ will be split.

Out of all Google and Facebook are the weakest links though, as they are too entrenched themselves into media.

God why do you have such a stick up your ass over microsoft? Every thread its anti microsoft this, anti microsoft that?
He is probably in Sony's camp (still salty about Bethesda). Even Linux guys don't hate Microsoft these days.

Last edited:

yurinka

Did the media and youtubers who received PS5s say when are they going to start showing stuff? Are their embargos similar to the Series X ones where they were only allowed to talk about some features and specifi BC games each day?

So when are impressions coming ? In about a week?

They might be allowed to tweet some things. Like how loud the console runs or the games that they will be playing.

Everything should come out shortly before launch otherwise there's bit really a point in giving then the system this early.

Did the media and youtubers who received PS5s say when are they going to start showing stuff? Are their embargos similar to the Series X ones where they were only allowed to talk about some features and specifi BC games each day?

Well I hope they start off with the next gen games as that's what everyone is looking forward to.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Please. Go through my posts. I’m critical of XBox where necessary, supportive where necessary too. Same goes for Sony.

And if you’re so down the plug hole that you actually see Microsoft as some kind of ‘saviour’ or ‘best hope’ in ‘the cloud wars’, then you‘re most definitely the one with the stick up the arse, pal.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

He is probably in Sony's camp (still salty about Bethesda). Even Linux guys don't hate Microsoft these days.

And this is why it’s impossible to have a decent discussion with you children.

Everything MUST be about Sony vs Microsoft. I don’t even mention Sony in a conversation about cloud gaming, and you STILL have to bring them up. It’s really very sad that they occupy so much space in your brains.

hemo memo

Gold Member

True. Microsoft is our best hope in the Cloud wars. It’ll be a very very dark future if Amazon or Google take the lead. At least Microsoft still believe in games and hardware. Fuck cloud only.

thelastword

Banned
That 8K marketing looks like the movie thing, like support for 8k video/movie streaming services. I won't count on 8k resolution games unless we want them running at 10fps or something :D
Indie games are still games and many of them including AA games will run at 8k native. Also, Nvidia has no problems stating that the 3090 is an 8K GPU, when it's using DLSS to accomplish that. Even some AAA games will have 8k support on PS5 via Checkerboard Rendering......3840 x 4320 will be CB'd up as an 8k picture, just as many PRO games are CB'd from a base res of 1920 x 2160....

It must be stated however, that 8k will not be the primary rez on PS5, 4k will be the dominant resolution by far, but you will still get the option for 8K, not just for videos, but for a number of games as well......However people want to purpose it, that they don't need it and it's a waste of resources means nothing really, many people said the same about 4K, but here we are offering not just 4k native, but with RT on consoles. Some people will have 8k panels and there will be some content for them, some people will have 4k 120hz panels and there should be lots of content for them, even some 120hz titles. So everybody wins because the 8k technology is there. Sony is selling 8K panels and it's on them to push that technology as well....No products exists in it's own bubble, they will use PS5 to leverage other products too, especially since there's a huge correlation with owning a TV and a console...

v_iHuGi

Banned
True. Microsoft is our best hope in the Cloud wars. It’ll be a very very dark future if Amazon or Google take the lead. At least Microsoft still believe in games and hardware. Fuck cloud only.

Cloud Gaming only is gonna get killed by European Comission as soon as it starts getting bigger.

Plus people like to play f2p games on their Smartphones they won't pay a sub to play games.

Cloud future is 30/40 years away at best.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cloud only is gonna hey killed by European Comission as soon as it starts getting bigger.

Plus people like to play f2p games on their Smartphones they won't pay a sub to play games.

I hope it is. I hate the USA/Rich countries only matters mentality . Yes most video game sales come from there but the rest of the world and especially small countries are not ready. We will be the first to get fucked by cloud only future. I hope both Amazon and Google and every cloud only company fail except Microsoft because they have a dedicated hardware solution.

Cloud Gaming only is gonna get killed by European Comission as soon as it starts getting bigger.
No really. Just like audio streaming services were killed by EU right.

At one point subscription will be integrated with so much that gaming will become a part of it.

LoL no. 30 years ago we had
nokia_cityman_900_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_2230103.jpg
this
2560px-NES-Console-Set.jpg
and this
1920px-Amiga500_system.jpg
Not to mention we did not have public internet access at that time. Technologies are being developed fast.

And this is why it’s impossible to have a decent discussion with you children.
"said the guy in his 20s"

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'll be spamming all these reviewers with: "Does the PS5 support 1440p?"

No answers from Sony the past couple of months - and would be nice to know if I have to buy a new 4K/120hz monitor

FunkMiller

I hope it is. I hate the USA/Rich countries only matters mentality . Yes most video game sales come from there but the rest of the world and especially small countries are not ready. We will be the first to get fucked by cloud only future. I hope both Amazon and Google and every cloud only company fail except Microsoft because they have a dedicated hardware solution.

How so? Do you mean due to slow internet speeds? Because that’s the only real barrier I can think of, given how low cost everything else about Luna seems to be.

v_iHuGi

Banned

Microsoft & Sony are working together on a multi billion dollar deal on Cloud Gaming alongside other techs.

They're ready to fight Google / Amazon which are failing very hard.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Eh, I wouldn't say people here at GAF deserve the console early (have one paid off btw). Maybe somebody like Wario 64, or anybody that has far reach on social media/YouTube. Geoff Keighly comes to mind, Linus, Marques, Mystiq, etc.. I like GAF but this or even Era are not big enough to cause anything of note in the media sphere. Youtubers/Twitch streamers would be a better bet imo.

I am just saying by comparison to the folks I mentioned, folks of GAF would be a far better choice.

I agree wholeheartedly that some folks like Keighly are the better choice but folks like him are few and far between. Instead we have mentally inbred fanboys and rappers get the system.

reinking

Gold Member
Sony fans have become really toxic. The amount of fanbois pushing conspiracy theories about game journalists with 'scripts from Microsoft' is just ridiculous.

Don't worry, no doubt your console will sell the best. The community has become so toxic you've actually made me switch sides.

Yep... ..only the Sony fans doing stuff like that. Oh....

So Sony is sending these to shills only? No critique or comparisons allowed?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Internet speeds/ infrastructure.

Ah, yeah. That suck if you’re in a country with poor internet... but unfortunately the global market had probably reached the point now where cloud gaming is a viable proposition. I’m honestly not keen on it myself, but it’s the way things will go.

Potential 4k 60fps gaming with no console or PC cost, and cheap subscriptions is going to be hard to resist.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Ah, yeah. That suck if you’re in a country with poor internet... but unfortunately the global market had probably reached the point now where cloud gaming is a viable proposition. I’m honestly not keen on it myself, but it’s the way things will go.

Potential 4k 60fps gaming with no console or PC cost, and cheap subscriptions is going to be hard to resist.

We have high speeds but that’s very expensive. So in the long run cloud only is way more costly than traditional consoles.

FrankWza

Yea, but the PS4 also has a lot of games running 1440p - but no setting in the menu, so either 1080p or 4K :/

I thought there was a way to force it through TV?

At that point of steady streaming consoles will probably be at 8k 60 or 4K 120 consistently and we’ll be back at square 1

Calverz

Please. Go through my posts. I’m critical of XBox where necessary, supportive where necessary too. Same goes for Sony.

And if you’re so down the plug hole that you actually see Microsoft as some kind of ‘saviour’ or ‘best hope’ in ‘the cloud wars’, then you‘re most definitely the one with the stick up the arse, pal.
Would you rather google, amazon or apple then? Take your pick.

Birdo

Banned
How did Easy Allies score one? They are a tiny channel with an average of a few thousand views per-video.......

Last edited:

FunkMiller

At that point of steady streaming consoles will probably be at 8k 60 or 4K 120 consistently and we’ll be back at square 1

Possibly.... though to be honest cloud streaming gaming is aimed at the casual audience more than anyone else, and they don’t really care that much about resolutions or frame rates. Amazon are going to hang the whole of Luna around “look how easy and cheap it is to play the newest games! You don’t to buy anything to get killed a million times in CoD!” It‘ll be lowest common denominator stuff, but it’ll be popular.

Top Bottom