• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlets start receiving their PS5 review hardware

Birdo

Banned
I wonder if I have one sitting out front on the porch? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

1688828_original.gif

FrankWza

I mean who really cares whether digital foundry get ps5 or not? We know its 10tf vs 12tf in the series x. And we know it can only play ps4/5 games where series x can play og,360, one and series x games.
Case closed.

we must be made aware of the interest level. It’s for everyone.

Sony is trying to create a media storm just before the release. It can afford it unlike Microsoft because Playstation is a recognizable brand in comparison to Xbox. It had a really high chance to destroy Xbox by its media presence (like it did with Sega or something), but Microsoft has deep pockets to weather that storm.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony is trying to create a media storm just before the release. It can afford it unlike Microsoft because Playstation is a recognizable brand in comparison to Xbox. It had a really high chance to destroy Xbox by its media presence (like it did with Sega or something), but Microsoft has deep pockets to weather that storm.

It's an endurance race, MS should make enough money to keep going. Deep pockets have limits, and in a business model you expect much more money coming back than what you paid.

It's an endurance race, MS should make enough money to keep going. Deep pockets have limits, and in a business model you expect much more money coming back than what you paid.
It is the endurance race and that's why Microsoft doing all those moves to gain as much as possible service presence in various areas. It is not Xbox vs Playstation fight this generation - Microsoft at the current stage cannot compete with Sony there as Xbox now in the same position as Sega Saturn. Playstation is essentially iPhone of consoles - people will buy it no matter what. But at the same time Android is everywhere.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It is the endurance race and that's why Microsoft doing all those moves to gain as much as possible service presence in various areas. It is not Xbox vs Playstation fight this generation - Microsoft at the current stage cannot compete with Sony there as Xbox now in the same position as Sega Saturn. Playstation is essentially iPhone of consoles - people will buy it no matter what. But at the same time Android is everywhere.

It's not about people buying PS5 no matter what, it's Xbox to blame for lacking games that people wanna play. Xbox had most of the hype early on, and they shot themselves on the foot for not delivering the bare minimum of acceptable launch titles.

In the cloud services, it's getting crowded now and Amazon is a much bigger company and could seriously bleed them to bankruptcy forcing cheaper deals and combining them with Prime.

Stadia are still around and they might get their comeback moment as well. Sony putting PS Now as a side dish, although being the pioneers, because it's a race where everybody loses, like what's happening now with Netflix, Disney+, etc all drowning in debts.

Last edited:

sn0man

I think Sony is still playing nice with Dolby in their TV's, but most likely wanna push Sony's 360 Reality Audio that supports any audio system without charging extra for proprietary licensing.

It's much more accurate, and once licensed to dev/musician/studio, a customer could enjoy it in any sound system/device. But for those concerned about their current setups, wait and test first, no need to rush into conclusions.

Huh? Yes, sure; of course Sony doesn't want to support a for-pay standard from someone else. Nobody wants to support a for-pay standard, but if the standard is widely adopted (as I assume Dolby is for movies), they need to get over it.

I think they might just not have it installed by default but may allow for a user to download it from the network. I'm completely speculating but maybe they will support it that way and thus save on licensing for folks that don't download it.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
If that is how my PS5 is delivered... Rewind, that WILL NOT be how my PS5 is delivered. I'll camp out front with my Yard Signs and Flood Light sensors. Might have some other hardware with me.
intro-1601991664.jpg

I'll pray for any delivery driver foolish enough to toss your shit around then.

at least he does something, not like DF, waiting for m$ script to read it.

Is that legit? Figured that was just a joke people made to take the piss out of complaining PS fans.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Huh? Yes, sure; of course Sony doesn't want to support a for-pay standard from someone else. Nobody wants to support a for-pay standard, but if the standard is widely adopted (as I assume Dolby is for movies), they need to get over it.

I think they might just not have it installed by default but may allow for a user to download it from the network. I'm completely speculating but maybe they will support it that way and thus save on licensing for folks that don't download it.

No you can't download it. Sony TV's all have Dolby Atmos|Vision, and all their Blu-ray players as well. So it'll affect mostly bluray movies on PS5, and maybe netflix and so that support Dolby Vision/Atmos. But Dolby Vision is the most important here, for sound it's not really that important for movies as you already have DTS and other codecs.

Would games utilize Dolby Vision? And how much would that cost be to produce in the GPU? Would devs stick with HDR10? Would they introduce HDR10+ as well (Sony TV's don't have that, so I doubt it)? It can get a firmware update as well AFAIK.

For gaming audio, the Tempest should give a marginal advantage over Dolby Atmos, that's literally what Mark Cerny said and he won't say that if he's not 100% sure, even the damage control later on was still inline with what he said that sound isn't good beyond 32 sources in Dolby Atmos. And it should provide hundreds of highly detailed sound sources, down to making every rain droplet produce its own sound!

2d0812_a3dbcff787ad4eca8d82afd467843d5a~mv2.jpg

Last edited:

sn0man

In the cloud services, it's getting crowded now and Amazon is a much bigger company and could seriously bleed them to bankruptcy forcing cheaper deals and combining them with Prime.
Based on wiki (could be massively out of date). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_T...est_Corporations_by_Market_Capitalization.png M$ aint one to F with based on money.

I think Amazon and MS are kind of like USA/Russia in the 1970s. Someone is going to win, but they will be pretty bruised by the fight.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Based on wiki (could be massively out of date). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_T...est_Corporations_by_Market_Capitalization.png M$ aint one to F with based on money.

I think Amazon and MS are kind of like USA/Russia in the 1970s. Someone is going to win, but they will be pretty bruised by the fight.

That is a price if you wanna buy either. What is important is how much revenue they make and how much money on hand vs debts. Amazon pretty much bigger, as MS is getting smaller by the day as the PC/laptop market is getting smaller with the advancement of smartphones and tablets for the majority of users.

sn0man

So what about people with proper surround sound systems? HRTF-based 3D audio is great for headphones, but I didn't pay over $8,000 for my 11.2 surround sound system to have to resort to only listening to games and movies with headphones!
Dude! I know it's COVID outside but if I wear a mask can I come over and watch movies with ya? Home Theater goals I can't fulfill till after we move out of this rental.

FrankWza

So what about people with proper surround sound systems? HRTF-based 3D audio is great for headphones, but I didn't pay over $8,000 for my 11.2 surround sound system to have to resort to only listening to games and movies with headphones!

yeah it’s definitely geared towards headphones right now. Do you have a 2.1 receiver or earc? You can get DTS neural x at least

Umbral

Look, I’m PlayStation only and am excited as hell to get my PS5. I do not like Xbox and will never buy anything Microsoft again.

That said, it’s kind of gross to see all these “reviewers” posting photos of themselves with hard dicks and a free PS5 before anyone else smiling from ear to ear. You are free marketing for Sony and clout farming for yourself.

FrankWza

Look, I’m PlayStation only and am excited as hell to get my PS5. I do not like Xbox and will never buy anything Microsoft again.

That said, it’s kind of gross to see all these “reviewers” posting photos of themselves with hard dicks and a free PS5 before anyone else smiling from ear to ear. You are free marketing for Sony and clout farming for yourself.

better than an influencer getting one though.

I can understand what you're saying but alot of these reviewers need to get the console before it releases. And the reason why is they need time to try out the hardware and play the games. That way they can have their articles ready at launch.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I can understand what you're saying but alot of these reviewers need to get the console before it releases. And the reason why is they need time to try out the hardware and play the games. That way they can have their articles ready at launch.

True, but most of these people are nobodies who hate games and gaming culture. There are far better choices than Polygon, Kotaku, etc.

As someone mentioned here, it would have been more prudent to give actual gamers, such as the folks here at GAF, the console. At least then we would have genuine insight into the platform instead of self-felatio cunts like the pathetic soyboys at Kinda Funny.

njean777

True, but most of these people are nobodies who hate games and gaming culture. There are far better choices than Polygon, Kotaku, etc.

As someone mentioned here, it would have been more prudent to give actual gamers, such as the folks here at GAF, the console. At least then we would have genuine insight into the platform instead of self-felatio cunts like the pathetic soyboys at Kinda Funny.

Eh, I wouldn't say people here at GAF deserve the console early (have one paid off btw). Maybe somebody like Wario 64, or anybody that has far reach on social media/YouTube. Geoff Keighly comes to mind, Linus, Marques, Mystiq, etc.. I like GAF but this or even Era are not big enough to cause anything of note in the media sphere. Youtubers/Twitch streamers would be a better bet imo.

Umbral

Yeah, it makes sense. It was just a little gross to see shot after shot of them posing with it or shots of it from every angle, etc.

I wonder if any one of them got one and hasn’t said anything, will review it in isolation, and throw up the video/article once the embargo lifts.

I'm amazed that no matter how much I cover their games Sony still can't even be bothered to give me a response about anything. I've worked with just about every other publisher in this industry. Idk what's up with their PR people.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Movies is going to be better with your 11.2 system, but for a while (until Tempest 3D is adapted to surround sound setups, in the cards but not yet ready) you need to trade off immersion with the need of headphones and yes the sound might be a lot more immersive but at a lower quality.

I am kind of considering headphones too now after realising how shitty the bundled PSVR ones are and how immersive binaural / proper 3D sound is.

longdi

Banned
I love the structure of PlayStation symbols on the controller and the console. Such a stupid detail, but it's great.

while unique, i rather they spend the costs else where more practical, like a bigger battery.
Because we are in a cost constrain sku.
Maybe an elite version with the markings is more adapt.
Again, people have strange expectations that consoles should be $399, and not something like an iphone, willing to spend on some fancy dyed stainless steel.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
while unique, i rather they spend the costs else where more practical, like a bigger battery.
Because we are in a cost constrain sku.
Maybe an elite version with the markings is more adapt.
Again, people have strange expectations that consoles should be $399, and not something like an iphone, willing to spend on some fancy dyed stainless steel.

The cost of implementing a structure like this on the series tools for these plastic parts is low though. Given the very high quantities, the cost impact per part is minimal.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That is a price if you wanna buy either. What is important is how much revenue they make and how much money on hand vs debts. Amazon pretty much bigger, as MS is getting smaller by the day as the PC/laptop market is getting smaller with the advancement of smartphones and tablets for the majority of users.
You are acting as if Windows for Microsoft is the same as Playstation for Sony :messenger_tears_of_joy: It is not 2007.

Microsoft switched to the service-oriented company many years ago and has been growing since then. I have no doubts that eventually Windows also turns into some kind of service where you have the device and then project Windows OS there or connect to it (similarly how developers work at Facebook - they have cloud virtual machines on demand).

Top Bottom