• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlets start receiving their PS5 review hardware

Md Ray

I like that avatar, brother-in-platform.:messenger_bicep:
Heck yeah. :messenger_bicep:

Have so many fond memories attached to this avatar of ours.

2996251-3460171818-Sony-.jpg

I'm a huge PlayStation fan and I'll admit I am biased towards PlayStation consoles.

So what about people with proper surround sound systems? HRTF-based 3D audio is great for headphones, but I didn't pay over $8,000 for my 11.2 surround sound system to have to resort to only listening to games and movies with headphones!

Of course us with HT surround setups get benefits from using them.

Just have patience, soon we will know how they implement sounds for HT setups.

Maybe headphones get the HRTF based 3D and speakers get some kind of conversion to dolby. Assuming HRTF 3d works best with headphones, Sony cant send their engineers into every livingroom / home theater to do measurements, but they can do certain assumptions of headphones as they are "closed space near ears".

it would be unfair to assume that if this tech works on headphones, they could easily implement it for multi speaker systems too. they cant even tell if you installed your speakers on same positions as someone else, so it would need some kind of measurement microphone adjustment system.

maybe they use the dualsense mic to calibrate multispeaker systems :messenger_savoring:

nowhat

Expect Pony meme to change to P####. Linus and Ds were two outlets who are more interested in specs shootout.
Granted, I don't follow Linus that often (or pretty much ever, I keep more up with what Linus Torvalds is up to, and not that much with him either), but isn't he primarily a PC guy? As such, maybe not the target audience for at least the first batch. Some more generic tech sites like Ars Technica have their review units, but they do have a dedicated gaming section*).

*) Which for the most part is very much uninteresting, but their "War Stories" series on the development of several classic games is highly recommended.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Did they send it to Gamers Nexus ?
Looks like they skipped every youtuber who is a gpu nerd. Because, Austin Evans called series x "significantly" more powerful, but he still got the ps5.

Austin got a controller that he most likely preordered and pulled it from a store early. He doesn't have it. USA seems the second phase though, maybe Europe later next week or so?

Last edited:

T-Cake

That Ars Technical games bloke lost all credibility with me today after some comments about the PS5 not saying 1TB on the box. Any gaming journalist worth their salt would know it has 825GB unformatted capacity.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
You could spare some more money for a dedicated media device out of $8,000, right?

Yeah I got this guy

ef61b488084259f47c92e9ebaef6b32c_3x3.jpg

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

FrankWza

I don't get why Atmos needs to even have anything to do with the console for movies. Isn't the sound just being sent to the receiver to be decoded there? Why does it even matter what format it comes out of the console as? For games yes I get why, but not for movies.

And for games they theoretically could figure out a way to adapt the 3D sound stage and output 7.1 LPCM to the receiver, but it sounds like they aren't there yet.

if the source, in this casePS5, doesn’t output Atmos the receiver can’t process Atmos.

Kdad

He set it own grave spreading PS5 FUD.
He apologized after but maybe it was not enough anymore.

I think his review could be interesting.
I watch LTT and don't really understand why he got a XSX either...dude spends 99.9% of his time on PC topics as thats his wheelhouse. Give it to those who know consoles.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

splattered

Why are all the pics and videos of the packaging from funky MySpace angles? ... i just saw the video from Gamespot next to a girl and still makes it look huge. Or is she just tiny? Gamespot

Top Bottom