• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlets start receiving their PS5 review hardware

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's software based, and they're probably working on their 360 Reality Audio, which is HRTF-based true 3D audio that should work with any stereo headset with no proprietary BS.

So what about people with proper surround sound systems? HRTF-based 3D audio is great for headphones, but I didn't pay over $8,000 for my 11.2 surround sound system to have to resort to only listening to games and movies with headphones!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Regarding Atmos, don't some manufacturers only apply it via firmware update? I vaguely remember hearing that this was a thing for some video codecs and also audio standards, presumably so royalties are only applied to devices that actually use it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So what about people with proper surround sound systems? HRTF-based 3D audio is great for headphones, but I didn't pay over $8,000 for my 11.2 surround sound system to have to resort to only listening to games and movies with headphones!

Maybe wait and test it first before getting ahead of yourself? They are getting all of these covered. In the meantime if your surround system supports DTS as well, then you're already good to go.

Last edited:

N30RYU

It's a matter of time... someone not under
Who did told you to pay $8,000 on your 11.2 sound system?? Sony?

There is a lot more ppl without $8,000 sound systems than with that expensive sound systems... sony being pro-consumer again :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
I don't get why Atmos needs to even have anything to do with the console for movies. Isn't the sound just being sent to the receiver to be decoded there? Why does it even matter what format it comes out of the console as? For games yes I get why, but not for movies.

And for games they theoretically could figure out a way to adapt the 3D sound stage and output 7.1 LPCM to the receiver, but it sounds like they aren't there yet.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Regarding Atmos, don't some manufacturers only apply it via firmware update? I vaguely remember hearing that this was a thing for some video codecs and also audio standards, presumably so royalties are only applied to devices that actually use it.

I think Sony is still playing nice with Dolby in their TV's, but most likely wanna push Sony's 360 Reality Audio that supports any audio system without charging extra for proprietary licensing.

Note: That song is just normal stereo with no 3D effect, not sure wtf they are doing there.

It's much more accurate, and once licensed to dev/musician/studio, a customer could enjoy it in any sound system/device. But for those concerned about their current setups, wait and test first, no need to rush into conclusions.

mark-cerny-introduces-tempest-3d-audiotech-engine-for-ps5-featured_feature.jpg

Last edited:

vpance

They say it'll be adapted to surround speaker setups but 3D audio is always going to be best on headphones.

Receivers commonly simulate 6.1 from 5.1 which may work decently because of the placement but I'm doubtful they can sim a convicing height source.

They say it'll be adapted to surround speaker setups but 3D audio is always going to be best on headphones.

Receivers commonly simulate 6.1 from 5.1 which may work decently because of the placement but I'm doubtful they can sim a convicing height source.
Well, the Tempest engine 3D audio is generating sound with a 3D sound stage exactly like Atmos does, so they wouldn't need to fake anything because they could generate the true height output just like Atmos. The issue is how does that get to your receiver. They aren't there yet for that part - only how to get it to your 2 channel headphones.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I still think it will be patched in for the UHD player. But this would be a bigger deal if I had a 2.1 avr. I’m needing optical out anyway because I have arc. So this isn’t as big a deal for now unless you have a 2.1 avr or earc.

You can do Atmos over ARC via DD+ as long as the TV/soundbar supports it, and I believe it's a higher bitrate than any format you'll be getting through optical since toslink only supports uncompressed audio up to 2.0 channels.

hdmiarcguide-5.jpg

vpance

Well, the Tempest engine 3D audio is generating sound with a 3D sound stage exactly like Atmos does, so they wouldn't need to fake anything because they could generate the true height output just like Atmos. The issue is how does that get to your receiver. They aren't there yet for that part - only how to get it to your 2 channel headphones.

If there's no physical height speakers then they are faking it, no? Atmos is just an encoding the receiver understands to utilize your heights. Without Atmos, Sony will try to replicate that height effect by using 3D HRTF.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Is it really likely to hit 8k? Also what is the internet bandwidth that you would need to get an 8k video stream?

Also my knowledge of blu-rays caps out at UHD, but can you get 8k disc's?

Edit: Also Jeff Grubb also thinks that 4K on a TV at a normal range is kinda unneeded so this ain't a new thing for him.

I can easily stream 8K content with 200Mbps, or even more than one 8K video at the same time, and I think even way less than that you can still stream 8K, around maybe ~50-70Mbps depending on the framerates and how much it's compressed.

If there's no physical height speakers then they are faking it, no? Atmos is just an encoding the receiver understands to utilize your heights. Without Atmos, Sony will try to replicate that height effect by using 3D HRTF.
Yeah, for 2 channel they are using physics to simulate how your ears perceive 3D sound (HRTF).

What I meant was in order to even do that, they need to generate the sound in a 3D space. The Tempest engine will generate sounds for height in pretty much the same way (object based) that Atmos does. The issue is that while your receiver will take that Atmos data and map it to your speakers and have it work, obviously no surround system supports Tempest 3D audio. So if they want to support surround sound setups they either have to encode the surround sound in the PS5 itself or... honestly I don't even know how else they would do it.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Tempest 3D audio is a vast superior solution than that mediocre Dolby Atmos with only 28-32 sources vs hundreds of raytraced, HRTF-based audio sources.
It was confirmed that Dolby Atmos have more than 32 channels.
Also ALL PS5 games that we saw (except Unreal demo) lacks both raytraced audio and HTRF. So we have no clue how good Tempest engine is.

MacReady13

Probably a petty thing to complain about, but fuck it- it REALLY shits me that these people can get a console, pre launch, all just to get hype out (liken that is really needed) when there are millions of people who wanted one of those bad boys on day 1, yet there wasn't enough consoles to meet demand! Yet these dumb fucks get 1 early for "review" purposes??? It truly does grind my fucking gears.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It was confirmed that Dolby Atmos have more than 32 channels.
Also ALL PS5 games that we saw (except Unreal demo) lacks both raytraced audio and HTRF. So we have no clue how good Tempest engine is.

Ratchet and Clank, GT7 demos had some glimpses, but would rather hear it from the direct source. Also Dolby Atmos said that beyond 32 it's as good as noise, same with Tempest supporting 5,000 sources but hundreds of detailed sound sources, high quality as Mark Cerny stated.

But we need to get to experience them ourselves in less than a month now!

Last edited:
It is because you only saw Japanese guys holding it :D
Most Japaneses are indeed smaller than most westerns.

The box have about the same dimensions than PS4 original box... it is a bit more fat... I guess about 60-70% fatter.

leilao-2.jpg

Original PS4 box: 10.7 x 47.7 x 33.5 cm; 4.35 Kilogramm
Playstation 5 box: 47.7 x 18.2 x 43.3 cm; 6.72 Kilogramm

Ps5 box is double the size of the original PS4
It's 120% more volume.

mckmas8808

Now, THIS is very interesting!

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Ratchet and Clank, GT7 demos had some glimpses, but would rather hear it from the direct source. Also Dolby Atmos said that beyond 32 it's as good as noise, same with Tempest supporting 5,000 sources but hundreds of detailed sound sources, high quality as Mark Cerny stated.

But we need to get to experience them ourselves in less than a month now!
I'm in for better sound but Demon's Souls video didn't have even reverb. It's amazing how plain and bad it sounds in terms of simulating environment reverb. I just want for games to actually use damn hardware.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm in for better sound but Demon's Souls video didn't have even reverb. It's amazing how plain and bad it sounds in terms of simulating environment reverb. I just want for games to actually use damn hardware.

Yes, the only two that I felt they had something going on are GT7 and Ratchet & Clank. Downloaded the WebM official videos to have the highest quality possible from those already compressed videos.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where I can download these?

Well, that's a long story, you can use the extension on Firefox:

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.)

And install further files in Window's system to merge the Video WebM with the Audio WebM files as soon as they get downloaded automatically.

There could be other plugins for Firfox + Chrome, but this one is 100% perfect. They are still at least 70-90% compressed, but managed to extract good quality screenshots out of them:

Last edited:

vpance

Yeah, for 2 channel they are using physics to simulate how your ears perceive 3D sound (HRTF).

What I meant was in order to even do that, they need to generate the sound in a 3D space. The Tempest engine will generate sounds for height in pretty much the same way (object based) that Atmos does. The issue is that while your receiver will take that Atmos data and map it to your speakers and have it work, obviously no surround system supports Tempest 3D audio. So if they want to support surround sound setups they either have to encode the surround sound in the PS5 itself or... honestly I don't even know how else they would do it.

The ability for it to work on any speaker setup in the future is what they're promoting over Atmos. Sony puts Tempest audio over Atmos because they have 100's of channels (virtual) vs like 8-12... But we'll see.

mckmas8808

It's a matter of time... someone not under

Who did told you to pay $8,000 on your 11.2 sound system?? Sony?

There is a lot more ppl without $8,000 sound systems than with that expensive sound systems... sony being pro-consumer again :messenger_beaming:

LOL! Nah, that's just the cost to have a really nice system. Now I built a movie theater room in my house, so most people wouldn't even need to spend that kind of money. The starting price for nice sound in a theater room is at least $5,000.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Well, that's a long story, you can use the extension on Firefox:

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.)

And install further files in Window's system to merge the Video WebM with the Audio WebM files as soon as they get downloaded automatically.

There could be other plugins for Firfox + Chrome, but this one is 100% perfect. They are still at least 70-90% compressed, but managed to extract good quality screenshots out of them:

Ah thanks! It's still youtube ones. Thought you've found source videos in page source code or something 🙃
Remember searching them and haven't found sources, then gave up.

I think Sony is still playing nice with Dolby in their TV's, but most likely wanna push Sony's 360 Reality Audio that supports any audio system without charging extra for proprietary licensing.

It's much more accurate, and once licensed to dev/musician/studio, a customer could enjoy it in any sound system/device. But for those concerned about their current setups, wait and test first, no need to rush into conclusions.

mark-cerny-introduces-tempest-3d-audiotech-engine-for-ps5-featured_feature.jpg

I dont get it, I listened to that cnco nonsense with headphones and noticed anything special?

jaysius

Banned
The ability for it to work on any speaker setup in the future is what they're promoting over Atmos. Sony puts Tempest audio over Atmos because they have 100's of channels (virtual) vs like 8-12... But we'll see.

No, this is oddball tech(because you’ve already paid many hundreds for the PS5 so many people will have a speaker system to accompany their 4K setups)“poor man’s surround” NOTHING MORE Sony fanbois have misunderstood the shit out of it and taken it as the next messiah of audio. Cerny was very clear this is a solution or an attempt at virtualization of stereo into some sort of 3D soundscape, this isn’t doing shit for real surround setups, audio engineers program which speaker gets the audio in those setups your AVR takes that info and puts the audio in the correct speaker, that’s how surround sound works.

Audio card makers have been dedicating teams to make this shit work for decades now, it’s all been a mixed bag, this isn’t a NEW IDEA by any stretch of the imagination.

People with surround sound will only ever benefit from this when they put on headphones, who even knows if TEMPEST magic passes through an AVR some headphones need extra power to be driven that the dual sense won’t provide.

I dont get it, I listened to that cnco nonsense with headphones and noticed anything special?

YouTube audio quality is shit, also you wouldn’t hear audio tech in a YouTube video you’d need Sony’s app to hear the effect, you were mislead is all that happened.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Original PS4 box: 10.7 x 47.7 x 33.5 cm; 4.35 Kilogramm
Playstation 5 box: 47.7 x 18.2 x 43.3 cm; 6.72 Kilogramm

Ps5 box is double the size of the original PS4
It's 120% more volume.

Almost 7 kgs! 90% of the anemic, withered-limb early adopters will shatter their radii picking up the box.

Top Bottom