• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outer Worlds impressions from media event in Australia

Humdinger

I'm getting to the stage where there are very few games I really want to invest the time and energy in playing. I can go long stretches without anything really catching my interest. I've been gaming for a couple decades, and most games give me a "been-there, done-that" feeling, and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. I've got plenty of other, better things to do with my time than waste it on games that don't really grab me. A game has to be pretty special to make me want to spend time and energy on it. So I'm pretty selective with my gaming.

Some people have long lists of games they want to play and big backlogs. I can see how subscribing to GP or PS Now for someone like that would be a bargain. That's fine for them, but that would be a losing situation for me. I'd end up playing games I'm not really drawn to, just because I've paid for the subscription, so I might as well use it, and the games are there for the taking. It's like having a box of donuts sitting on your table every day.

It's not about the money for me. I've got more than enough money. It's about the time and energy spent on gaming. Getting a gaming subscription would result in me wasting time and energy on games that don't really interest me. That's a losing proposition. Having a sub would mean I'd end up wasting my time/energy on stuff that doesn't really engage me or add to my life in any way. That's a net negative in my book, regardless of any monetary savings.

Anyhow, that's a long way of saying that I'm happy to pay $60 for Outer Worlds. It's one of the few games this year that I'm genuinely interested in playing.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm getting to the stage where there are very few games I really want to invest the time and energy in playing. I can go long stretches without anything really catching my interest. I've been gaming for a couple decades, and most games give me a "been-there, done-that" feeling, and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. I've got plenty of other, better things to do with my time than waste it on games that don't really grab me. A game has to be pretty special to make me want to spend time and energy on it. So I'm pretty selective with my gaming.

Some people have long lists of games they want to play and big backlogs. I can see how subscribing to GP or PS Now for someone like that would be a bargain. That's fine for them, but that would be a losing situation for me. I'd end up playing games I'm not really drawn to, just because I've paid for the subscription, so I might as well use it, and the games are there for the taking. It's like having a box of donuts sitting on your table every day.

It's not about the money for me. I've got more than enough money. It's about the time and energy spent on gaming. Getting a gaming subscription would result in me wasting time and energy on games that don't really interest me. That's a losing proposition. Having a sub would mean I'd end up wasting my time/energy on stuff that doesn't really engage me or add to my life in any way. That's a net negative in my book, regardless of any monetary savings.

Anyhow, that's a long way of saying that I'm happy to pay $60 for Outer Worlds. It's one of the few games this year that I'm genuinely interested in playing.

I'm like that, especially at the end of the generation where there is so much play. I've been playing some older classics recently on crushing (Uncharted 1-4) and had just as good a time as if they were new games. I also think there are alot of repetitive similar games out there now.. mainly Ubisoft games.

I value linear or sandbox gaming with narratives been my favorite single element of game design. I find that can keep most experiences fresh for me. Just pre ordered Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk probably my most anticipated games in many, many years.

Will definitely keep an eye on this game though. With it been a new IP it's a little harder to get excited about it as theres many potential pitfalls, that been said Obsidian has had many great games in the past. Alpha Protocol is in my top 10 games of all time.

Humdinger

I'm like that, especially at the end of the generation where there is so much play. I've been playing some older classics recently on crushing (Uncharted 1-4) and had just as good a time as if they were new games. I also think there are alot of repetitive similar games out there now.. mainly Ubisoft games.

I value linear or sandbox gaming with narratives been my favorite single element of game design. I find that can keep most experiences fresh for me. Just pre ordered Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk probably my most anticipated games in many, many years.

Will definitely keep an eye on this game though. With it been a new IP it's a little harder to get excited about it as theres many potential pitfalls, that been said Obsidian has had many great games in the past. Alpha Protocol is in my top 10 games of all time.

Cool, I'm glad you're keeping an eye on it. With GP cutting into sales, the game may drop in price pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk, too. That's also a new IP, like Outer Worlds, although CDPR probably has a better track record than Obsidian, or at least they've been more financially successful.

Cyberpunk will be a massive-budget AAA title, whereas Outer Worlds is a moderate-budget, AA title. I expect Cyberpunk to average 90+ in reviews and Outer Worlds to average in the low to mid 70s.

Despite how high-profile Cyberpunk is, I'm probably looking forward to Outer Worlds a little more, at this point. I think I like the lighter touch and the outdoor environments, vs. the dark/gritty thing and mostly indoor or urban environments. Also, I didn't love Witcher the way others did. I thought it was a good RPG, but it really didn't pull me in. Never really connected with Geralt as a main character, for some reason.

I remember one reason was that Witcher was 3rd person. I'm glad Cyberpunk is first person. I feel like I can inhabit the character more that way. In the Witcher, I felt like I was playing through Geralt's adventures, not my own. So I prefer first person.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Cool, I'm glad you're keeping an eye on it. With GP cutting into sales, the game may drop in price pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk, too. That's also a new IP, like Outer Worlds, although CDPR probably has a better track record than Obsidian, or at least they've been more financially successful.

Cyberpunk will be a massive-budget AAA title, whereas Outer Worlds is a moderate-budget, AA title. I expect Cyberpunk to average 90+ in reviews and Outer Worlds to average in the low to mid 70s.

Despite how high-profile Cyberpunk is, I'm probably looking forward to Outer Worlds a little more, at this point. I think I like the lighter touch and the outdoor environments, vs. the dark/gritty thing and mostly indoor or urban environments. Also, I didn't love Witcher the way others did. I thought it was a good RPG, but not it really didn't pull me in. Never really connected with Geralt as a main character, for some reason.

I remember one reason was that Witcher was 3rd person. I'm glad Cyberpunk is first person. I feel like I can inhabit the character more that way. In the Witcher, I felt like I was playing through Geralt's adventures, not my own. So I prefer first person.

Yeah The Witcher 3 is my favourite game if this generation, perhaps ever. I dont mind the main character been a fully formed character rather than me, but theres not much in it either way. I just love the world, the characters, the quests, the dlc, the consumer friendly practices. Basically Cyberpunk is getting my money because I have ever reason to trust them.

I never really listen to scores if I have a strong interest in the game as what some review outlets knock points off for others enjoy the game because of such features.. i.e complexity. Alpha Protocol got very average reviews but to me it's amazing, I dont think choice and consequences has even been done better in a game. Deadly Premonition another AA game got amazing review scores and terrible review scores, there was no in between, but to me it's an absolute gem.

I think as long as Obsidian have had the time to polish the game it will be a safe bet this will be a solid release. Writing wise they have always been on point.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Dude EXACTLY !!!
I am 30 and feel like I've played my fav games already. And I always liked linear single player experiences like gears of war or the darkness...
I've been trying to clear my backlog recently and even started xbox 360... we did finished EDF games, replayed all gears games and so on.
But now I have this LOST ODYSSEY discs around... I don't think I've ever played jrpg before but ff 13 and Lost Odyssey have been in my backlog since release... and now it's too late to have time and play those games... I did gave Lost Odyssey an hour today and jrpg is so strange to me.... world seems fantastic, intro is amazing but the clunk, the jank and the combat is not for me. And after only 1 hour, they are introducing so many mechanics.
The point is - As You've said - It's not about the money. It's about time and experience. I do not want to grind or do pointless stuff in games. I want a focused, single player games

Guys should check out the Game Informer preview from a few weeks ago where the player goes full psycopath. It's the most recent preview I've found on YT.

It's New Vegas with all of the amazing jank that comes with it. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Humdinger

I'll take a look at that video, thanks.

You don't have to watch this whole video (although it's good, it's old). I've cued it up to a one-minute segment where he talks about the many ways that a single quest could have played out. That impressed me. There is a lot of role-playing flexibility and potential replay value there.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I subscribed to Ubisoft’s service for one month in order to ‘try out’ both Far Cry New Dawn and Breakpoint. In the past I would’ve spent $130 on these games, but because of the service I only spent $20, and my appetite for both games has now been satieted.

Not all games are going to fall into this category (Sekiro, for example, is a game I want to own) - but I think that whenever I can my first play will be through a service.

$5 vs $60 - seems like a no-brainer.

ebevan91

I haven't kept up with this game at all except for maybe the first couple of trailers. Looking forward to going into this one mostly blind when it releases.

iorek21

My problem with Outer Worlds demoes is that I don't know whether the combat mechanics are bad or if whoever is playing it sucks

Last edited:

joe_zazen

great food-for-thought post.

otoh, unless you plan on playing the game for 6+ months, isnt a gamepass sub cheaper? Also it lets you see if you do, in fact, like the game? Like do you buy bluray versions of netflix shows instead of subbing to netflix?

Teslerum

My problem with Outer Worlds demoes is that I don't know whether the combat mechanics are bad or if whoever is playing it sucks

I find it generally hard to judge fps combat from videos.

The majorty opinion (by people who played it) however is somewhat better than Fallout4, with a lot depending on how impactful location based debuffs in TTD are.

Negatives are meele combat (though that seems to have improved a bit since) and the companion special attack cutscenes.

Last edited:
I find it generally hard to judge fps combat from videos.

The majorty opinion (by people who played it) however is somewhat better than Fallout4, with a lot depending on how impactful location based debuffs in TTD are.

Negatives are meele combat (though that seems to have improved a bit since) and the companion special attack cutscenes.
Huh. I got the opposite impression. In that Game Informer video the guy who played the game said the melee felt better than the gunplay. Juicehead had a video back in August where he said the shooting was better that New Vegas, maybe a tad worse than Fallout 4. Either way, I’m looking forward to the game.

Reactions: Isa

Teslerum

Huh. I got the opposite impression. In that Game Informer video the guy who played the game said the melee felt better than the gunplay. Juicehead had a video back in August where he said the shooting was better that New Vegas, maybe a tad worse than Fallout 4. Either way, I’m looking forward to the game.

In general of all the videos I’ve seen. Can’t speak for Gameinformer guy.

Humdinger

Charachter Builder based on available information (May not be 100% accurate)

That was helpful, thanks. I played around with it a little.

I think I'll make my first run a character who specializes in dialog. As I understand it, the main paths through the game will be shooting, sneaking, or talking. I usually play shooting, sometimes sneaking, but I've never played a character whose main skill is dialog. I'm looking forward to trying that out. I like dialog in RPGs. I'm not usually someone who skips over it.

I'll rely on guns as a backup -- speak softly and carry a big stick, right? I'll also use guns to add variety/action, if I get bored of talking. I imagine that's a risk of a dialog-heavy playthrough -- you get tired of all the yappity yap and want to shoot some creatures for a change.

Humdinger

great food-for-thought post.

otoh, unless you plan on playing the game for 6+ months, isnt a gamepass sub cheaper? Also it lets you see if you do, in fact, like the game? Like do you buy bluray versions of netflix shows instead of subbing to netflix?

Well, Gamepass would cost me $500+, since I'd have to buy an Xbox to go along with it, lol. But I've subbed to GP in the past, back when I owned an Xbox, and I've also subbed to PSNow. In both cases, I found myself playing games I wouldn't otherwise have bothered with, simply because I had the subscription and the games were available. That's the downside for me, and it's more important than any financial differences for the game itself, because it costs me time and energy, which are in shorter supply than money.

To answer your question related to money, though, I can see myself putting 4 months into this game easy. I play through games slowly, so a game like this (advertised as 40 hrs, so for me that's 50) will probably take me 2 months. Assuming I enjoy it, I'd like to replay the game (there is clearly a lot of replay value here), so that's another 2 months and longer if I take a break in between. At standard monthly rates (I know there are discounts, but I'm just using the standard rate), that's $40 just to rent the game, with no ability to recoup costs via resale if I wanted to.

I don't buy movies or subscribe to Netflix, so I can't really answer that part. I don't like or follow movies closely enough to know which ones I would want to own. I'm a little unusual, in that gaming is one of my only areas of escapist entertainment. I don't watch TV. I hardly ever watch movies. I don't subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, or any similar service. I don't have cable. About the only forms of entertainment/escape I have are music, games, and some Youtube (e.g., comedy).

I know what you're getting at, though. To me, it's less about the money and more about the time, attentional resources, and energy that get siphoned off when I'm dealing with a subscription service. Even from the cost perspective, though, using standard rates, it wouldn't save me any money.

I'm not implying that others should look at it the same way. Others have different life priorities or lifestyles. I can absolutely understand and respect that. I can see why someone who already subs to and enjoys GP would choose to DL the game for "free" rather than buy it. I'd do the same, if I were them. But I'm not. :)

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Yeah I'm jealous because I want closer pricing to consider the fact its day one on gamepass... your just coming off like a Microsft fanboy. The fact is they are releasing on multiple consoles and are charging one group many more times what they are asking the other group.

End of the day we just have to make a vote with our wallets. It's unfortunate because no company is in the wrong (given the acquisition) but its not really a pro consumer price for users of rival systems (by a considerable margin).

It's like a movie comes out and in one country everyone can see it for a dollar and the other its 60 dollars. Yes you can move country (buy another console) but its not really practical and is a perceived slight for the fans in the country that are been charged 60 times more for *almost* exactly the same product.
Bruh.... is this guy for real?? This can't be real. Mankind has not gone this dense and are still alive! Guess I need to change my Armageddon predictions again, shit... Thought for sure when I read something this fucking stupid, that would be the last straw.

Getting scared now. How low does this dumbass elevator go???

Kidding...

Still though, this a dumb ass post. Shit hurt, breh..

Hostile_18

Banned
Bruh.... is this guy for real?? This can't be real. Mankind has not gone this dense and are still alive! Guess I need to change my Armageddon predictions again, shit... Thought for sure when I read something this fucking stupid, that would be the last straw.

Getting scared now. How low does this dumbass elevator go???

Kidding...

Still though, this a dumb ass post. Shit hurt, breh..

I do regret the Microsoft typo ;)

Hostile_18

Banned
You should regret not getting an exorcism. That post was..... "special".

I over explained it due to some extreme reactions. My stance is I'm not paying full price for a game that's out on gamepass day 1.

Simple as that. I'm sure the world will keep on turning. People are welcome to do what they want. :)

Top Bottom