• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outer Worlds impressions from media event in Australia

Teslerum

Another media event, in Australia this time was held, where among big publications a few others also got to try the game out.

Aiming, firing, ADS; it all feels exactly the way you expect a shooter to feel. There’s none of that awkward gameplay that comes from an RPG developer attempting to create a satisfying shooting experience. The Outer Worlds IS a satisfying shooter experience.

It also happens to be an incredibly complex and deep RPG.

Using Tactical Time Dilation (VATS) you can slow down the game to focus on specific enemies and cause status effects. You can Blind, Stagger, Maim and Cripple (amongst others) as well as Burn, Electrify and more. First-person RPGs don’t usually go into this level of detail when it comes to combat and it’s refreshing that The Outer Worlds does.

What’s better still is just how well it works. Learning to use both the standard shooting mechanics and TTD together happened quite rapidly and when I had the hang of using both in concert, I was having an incredible time. By aiming at specific enemies and causing them status changes, I could buy myself time, or remove them from the fight for a time so I could focus on a larger threat.

During my time I stumbled on a few side missions, all of which featured the trademark Obsidian writing style. One feature a bunch of drug-addicted cannibals looking for their next meal while giving off a disturbing “Deliverance” vibe and the other had me resolving an industrial dispute between a brash group of employees and an embezzling foreman. What struck me most was that in these missions there was no clear right or wrong path. They both showed amazing shades of grey in the writing, which very much put me in the mind of Alpha Protocol’s murky approach to morality. I hope this carries throughout the game because I love the idea of games encouraging players to forge their own path and not just follow the lines of good and evil.

Teslerum

Power Up (Lee Stevenson) has several articles on the game aside from the preview

Teslerum

Tables by Lee Stevenson

Attributes

StrengthDexterityIntelligencePerceptionCharmTemperament
1-Handed Melee1-Handed MeleeLong GunsHandgunsPersuade2-Handed Melee
2-Handed MeleeHandgunsPersuadeLong GunsLieLie
Heavy WeaponsDodgeHackHeavy WeaponsIntimidateSneak
BlockBlockMedicalDodgeHackMedical
InspirationSneakScienceLockpickScienceEngineering
IntimidateLockpickDeterminationEngineeringInspirationDetermination

Perks

Tier 1
PerkToughnessSlow The WorldLone WolfStrider
Bonus+50% Base Health+25% Tactical Time Dilation Meter Max+25% Damage when alone in a party+25% Walk Speed
PerkCheetahHigh MaintenancePrecisionThe Negotiator
Bonus+20% Sprint Speed-25% Weapon/Armour Durability Loss+15% Companion Crit Chance-25% Vendor Surcharges
PerkAll For OneTravelerQuick and the DeadPack Mule
Bonus+50% XP from Companion KillsUnlock the ability to Fast Travel when Encumbered+50% Tactical Time Dilation Recharge Rate+50 kg Carrying Capacity
PerkA Few Bits MoreResilient
Bonus+100% Additional Ammo stock on Vendors & +100% Additional Consumable Stock on Vendors+10% Base Armour Rating
Tier 2
PerkRun and GunThe ReaperWeird ScienceSpeed Demon
Bonus-65% Movement Penalty to Accuracy+25% Tactical Time Dilation Meter+50% Science Weapon Damage+25% Movement Speed During TTD
PerkScannerThe CollectorSnake Oil SalesmanWe Band of Brothers
Bonus+20% Bonus to Extra Deadshot/Weakspot Damage+5 metres Interactable Highlight Range+20% Vendor Buying Price25% Chance to reset a Companion Ability cooldown on each Critical Hit
PerkTag TeamRolling ThunderHarvesterHoarder
Bonus25% Chance to reset a Companion Ability cooldown when using the other Companion’s Ability-20% Companion Ability Cooldowns for each of your Kills15% Health Restored per Kill-50% Consumable Weight
PerkPack of Pack MulesSoliloquy
Bonus+40kg Carrying Capacity Bonus from Companions+10 Dialog Skills
Tier 3
PerkWild ScienceSteady HandConfidenceArmor Master
Bonus+50% Science Weapon Damage-100% Ranged Weapon Sway & -100% Movement Penalty to AccuracyKilling an enemy makes your next shot a guaranteed Critical Hit+10% Armor Rating Bonus & +100% Skill Bonus
PerkSuper Pack MuleTactical MasterRevengeLast Stand
Bonus+100kg Carrying CapacityWhen you activate TTD, you continue to move at a normal speed for a short time. This effect only occurs when your TTD meter is full at the time of activationWhenever you are affected by a harmful Combat Effect, you deal increased Damage. +20% Revenge Damage+30% Damage while under 25% health
PerkBoom, Headshot!Don’t Go Dyin’ on Me!Penetrating ShotsThick Skin
BonusHeadshot kills explode, damaging nearby enemies. Headshot kills deal 25% of their damage to enemies with 2.5mWhen you use the Inhaler, any downed Companions are revived with a small amount of Health.Your Ranged attacks reduce the target’s Armor Rating by 1 point per hit. This effect lasts a short time and can stack multiple times.-15% AOE Damage Received & -15% Plasma Damage Received
PerkTit for TatSolo Sneaker
Bonus+15% Melee Damage returned as Health-33% Detection Radius of Enemies

Skills
  • Melee
    • 1-Handed Melee
    • 2-Handed Melee
  • Ranged
    • Handguns
    • Long Guns
    • Heavy Weapons
  • Defense
    • Dodge
    • Block
  • Dialog
    • Persuade
    • Lie
    • Intimidate
  • Stealth
    • Sneak
    • Hack
    • Lockpick
  • Tech
    • Medical
    • Science
    • Engineering
  • Leadership
    • Inspiration
    • Determination

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
At first I was hot on this game (before actually seeing it)... and then I was cold, having seen it (and seen how outdated it looked)... but now I’m warming up to it again.

That said, it’s obvious Obsidian wanted to make another Fallout game, and it’s a shame that didn’t happen, because that world, the Fallout universe, is a fascinating one.

zeorhymer

Did they make towns less dead and silent? In all the previews, the towns felt like it had no life since everyone was standing still or leaning against a wall.

Hostile_18

Banned
This is controversial, but my opinion is....

I'm not going to pay more than 10 pounds for this on PS4 if they are offering it on gamepass day 1.

I guess its complicated situation with MS buying them but its shocking giving it to one audience "free" and asking another to pay full retail.

Humdinger

Looks good. It's been a long time since we had a good, old-fashioned RPG like this. Although I enjoyed Fallout Vegas, I like this environment better (less grim, more colorful). I also like the sf themes.

Have there been any estimates of game length?

Last edited:

Little Chicken

Gold Member

I'm not going to pay more than 10 pounds for this on PS4 if they are offering it on gamepass day 1.

I guess its complicated situation with MS buying them but its shocking giving it to one audience "free" and asking another to pay full retail.

Yeah, Microsoft should've just asked Private Division not to release a PS4 version at all 🤷‍♀️

Bkdk

Will be buying this game due to me always playing this type of games. Won’t get my hopes up about this too high though, just gotta scratch my constant desire for more semi to open world rpgs. No mod support for this is quite the bummer.

I can't play an RPG this long in first person. That's the only thing keeping me from it. The stealth looks rough in first person. Can't see anything around corners.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah, Microsoft should've just asked Private Division not to release a PS4 version at all 🤷‍♀️

That's why I said the situation is complicated because technically it's a multiplatform but also a first party game.

I'm not blaming them for being in this situation but you put a game on gamepass day one to one set of players and thats what your telling me your game is worth (in terms of monetary value).

Its unfortunate, but I'm not paying infinitely more to buy the game just because I'm a Playstation gamer.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is this going to be in gamepass on PC too or just Xbox?

If it's on PC I guess I'll wait and active my trial to play through both this and Gears 5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to playing The Outer Worlds as it will be the first Obsidian game that I have played since Alpha Protocol which I quit after an hour or so. Want to see if the game is any good and if I end up liking Obsidian since im very interested in seeing what they do for Xbox next generation.

Will be playing via Game Pass Ultimate but not until probably December as I'll play the physical games that im buying in late October and in November first as once im done with them, I trade them in.

So overall, looking forward to The Outer Worlds for various reasons but won't play it until at least December or January.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Tables by Lee Stevenson

Attributes

StrengthDexterityIntelligencePerceptionCharmTemperament
1-Handed Melee1-Handed MeleeLong GunsHandgunsPersuade2-Handed Melee
2-Handed MeleeHandgunsPersuadeLong GunsLieLie
Heavy WeaponsDodgeHackHeavy WeaponsIntimidateSneak
BlockBlockMedicalDodgeHackMedical
InspirationSneakScienceLockpickScienceEngineering
IntimidateLockpickDeterminationEngineeringInspirationDetermination

Perks

Tier 1
PerkToughnessSlow The WorldLone WolfStrider
Bonus+50% Base Health+25% Tactical Time Dilation Meter Max+25% Damage when alone in a party+25% Walk Speed
PerkCheetahHigh MaintenancePrecisionThe Negotiator
Bonus+20% Sprint Speed-25% Weapon/Armour Durability Loss+15% Companion Crit Chance-25% Vendor Surcharges
PerkAll For OneTravelerQuick and the DeadPack Mule
Bonus+50% XP from Companion KillsUnlock the ability to Fast Travel when Encumbered+50% Tactical Time Dilation Recharge Rate+50 kg Carrying Capacity
PerkA Few Bits MoreResilient
Bonus+100% Additional Ammo stock on Vendors & +100% Additional Consumable Stock on Vendors+10% Base Armour Rating
Tier 2
PerkRun and GunThe ReaperWeird ScienceSpeed Demon
Bonus-65% Movement Penalty to Accuracy+25% Tactical Time Dilation Meter+50% Science Weapon Damage+25% Movement Speed During TTD
PerkScannerThe CollectorSnake Oil SalesmanWe Band of Brothers
Bonus+20% Bonus to Extra Deadshot/Weakspot Damage+5 metres Interactable Highlight Range+20% Vendor Buying Price25% Chance to reset a Companion Ability cooldown on each Critical Hit
PerkTag TeamRolling ThunderHarvesterHoarder
Bonus25% Chance to reset a Companion Ability cooldown when using the other Companion’s Ability-20% Companion Ability Cooldowns for each of your Kills15% Health Restored per Kill-50% Consumable Weight
PerkPack of Pack MulesSoliloquy
Bonus+40kg Carrying Capacity Bonus from Companions+10 Dialog Skills
Tier 3
PerkWild ScienceSteady HandConfidenceArmor Master
Bonus+50% Science Weapon Damage-100% Ranged Weapon Sway & -100% Movement Penalty to AccuracyKilling an enemy makes your next shot a guaranteed Critical Hit+10% Armor Rating Bonus & +100% Skill Bonus
PerkSuper Pack MuleTactical MasterRevengeLast Stand
Bonus+100kg Carrying CapacityWhen you activate TTD, you continue to move at a normal speed for a short time. This effect only occurs when your TTD meter is full at the time of activationWhenever you are affected by a harmful Combat Effect, you deal increased Damage. +20% Revenge Damage+30% Damage while under 25% health
PerkBoom, Headshot!Don’t Go Dyin’ on Me!Penetrating ShotsThick Skin
BonusHeadshot kills explode, damaging nearby enemies. Headshot kills deal 25% of their damage to enemies with 2.5mWhen you use the Inhaler, any downed Companions are revived with a small amount of Health.Your Ranged attacks reduce the target’s Armor Rating by 1 point per hit. This effect lasts a short time and can stack multiple times.-15% AOE Damage Received & -15% Plasma Damage Received
PerkTit for TatSolo Sneaker
Bonus+15% Melee Damage returned as Health-33% Detection Radius of Enemies

Skills

So i really is Fallout in space and that's a good thing since Fallout 3 is my favorite game of all-time. This just keeps getting better and better. GamePass aside, If this is as good as it looks I'm absolutely going to buy this eventually, just to support the Devs

Teslerum

Looks good. It's been a long time since we had a good, old-fashioned RPG like this. Although I enjoyed Fallout Vegas, I like this environment better (less grim, more colorful). I also like the sf themes.

Have there been any estimates of game length?

30-40 hours, focuses on replayability.

Is this going to be in gamepass on PC too or just Xbox?

If it's on PC I guess I'll wait and active my trial to play through both this and Gears 5

Both.

Humdinger

30-40 hours, focuses on replayability.

That's fine. It'll probably be longer for me, since I tend to want to do almost everything in an RPG like this.

As far as the pricing goes, I'm fine with paying full price. It's worth it to me. It's nice for Xbox and PC owners to get it at a lower price, but I'm not going to fuss. I'm glad it's coming to PS4 at all, given that Obsidian is now owned by MS.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

This is not controversial, its just stupidity 😂

CatLady

You should be happy you get to play it at all. Most likely you won't have that opportunity with Outer Worlds 2 unless you have a gaming PC.

Humdinger

I'm not blaming them for being in this situation but you put a game on gamepass day one to one set of players and thats what your telling me your game is worth (in terms of monetary value).

Its unfortunate, but I'm not paying infinitely more to buy the game just because I'm a Playstation gamer.

I think you're misinterpreting things. The game isn't on gamepass because that's what it's worth. It's on GP because that's what MS does with all its titles. That's their policy. It has nothing to do with the game's value.

And it's not "infinitely more" if you're on PS4. At most, it's $60 more, although in my case, it would be $10 or $20 more. I'd be paying about $20 for 2 months of GP (I know there are deals, but I'm talking about the standard monthly rate), maybe $30 because I like to play through games slowly, and there is also replay value. And then, I'm also out another $20 or $25, because I can't resell the game, since I don't own it.

In the end, the real difference for me would be maybe 10 or 20 bucks. That's the price of dinner and hardly worth fussing about, imo. We should be glad games like this still get made.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I think you're misinterpreting things. The game isn't on gamepass because that's what it's worth. It's on GP because that's what MS does with all its titles. That's their policy. It has nothing to do with the game's value.

And it's not "infinitely more" if you're on PS4. It's $60 more. Actually, I think it's more like $10 or $20 more. I'd be paying about $20 for 2 months of GP (I know there are GP deals, but I'm talking the standard monthly rate), maybe $30 because I like to play through games slowly and this one has replay value, and if I want to resell it, I can't do that because I don't own it, so that's $20 or $25 I can't recoup. In the end, the real difference (for me anyhow) would be maybe 10 bucks. That's the price of lunch and hardly worth fussing about, imo.

I'd say use for the average consumer for a game is less than a month. Plus your figures only take into account that one game alone, really you've got to divide it by all the games you'll be playing on gamepass.

It's basically $10 dollars or whatever divided by the number of games on gamepass your interested in VS one full price retail release purchase.

If your super interested in a game, say it's one of your most anticipated games of the year then sure it's better to pay full price than not have it at all of course.

I'm just not going to pay loads of extra money when others get to play it for the price of a beer. 😊

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
You should be happy you get to play it at all. Most likely you won't have that opportunity with Outer Worlds 2 unless you have a gaming PC.

That's most likely going to be the case. I just don't like the disparity between charging fans vastly different amounts of money based on what console you choose to play on.

If my X-Box friends are going to be able to play the game for a few dollars I'm not going to pony up $60 on the PS4.

Its unfortunate timing of Obsidian going first party unfortunately with this already in production.

Hostile_18

Banned
This is not controversial, its just stupidity 😂

Good one.

If wanting to play the game for a fraction of what Sony gamers are allowed to is stupidity I really dont know what I can really say lol.

A more sensible option could of been releasing it at a discount price or putting it out on gamepass at a later date given it wasnt originally conceived as a first party game.

Gamepass is still new and to think companies have 100% got the pricing down is naive IMO.

Last edited:

CatLady

Good one.

If wanting to play the game for a fraction of what Sony gamers are allowed to is stupidity I really dont know what I can really say lol.

A more sensible option could of been releasing it at a discount price or putting it out on gamepass at a later date given it wasnt originally conceived as a first party game.

Gamepass is still new and to think companies have 100% got the pricing down is naive IMO.

Why in the world should they give a discount to Microsoft's competition? Day 1 on GamePass is a benefit of owning an Xbox, those benefits do not apply to Microsoft's competition. This reminds of when Sony fans were crying about Ninja Theory (another Microsoft company) not making Hellblade VR for the PS4.

Hey I want to play Horizon ZD2 on my Xbox Scarlett when it comes out and it's not fair that a Sony company doesn't make it available to Xbox owners too. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Again be happy you get to play it at all.

Edit - for typos

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'd say use for the average consumer for a game is less than a month Plus your figures only take into account that one game alone, really you've got to divide it by all the games you'll be playing on gamepass.

It's basically $10 dollars or whatever divided by the number of games on gamepass your interested in VS one full price retail release purchase.

If your super interested in a game, say it's one of your most anticipated games of the year then sure it's better to pay full price than not have it at all of course.

I'm just not going to pay loads of extra money when others get to play it for the price of a beer.

I mentioned I was talking about myself, not a hypothetical average gamer, but even the average gamer (per google) would take 6.7 weeks to get through a 40 hour RPG. That's a two-month sub. If you like to blow through RPGs like this quickly and aren't worried about replay value, then you could shave $10, I guess.

"Dividing by number of games you're interested in" doesn't apply to me. I'd be signing up to play this game, not a bunch of other games. You also ignored resale value.

In the end, we're talking about maybe a $20 difference. If you want to miss out on a good game because of that, go ahead. That's your option.

FireFly

I'm just not going to pay loads of extra money when others get to play it for the price of a beer. 😊
If the value you get out of the game exceeds the $60 spent, then it is rational to pay for it. Unless you just couldn't enjoy the game knowing others didn't have to pay full price.

MMaRsu

Banned
This is like an Xbox gamer saying well fuck Game X came to PS+ at some point so I won't buy it on my Xbox until it's at least 10 bucks

That doesnt make a lick of sense

LOLCats

Banned
I love it when people spout their own bias as 'fact'.
The game is one of the most anticipated of the year. Do a Google search for it. Streamers wont shut up about it, neither do people in the comments.

oh the streamers and youtube comments, oh yes, you're right too!

Facepalm-meme-8.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say use for the average consumer for a game is less than a month. Plus your figures only take into account that one game alone, really you've got to divide it by all the games you'll be playing on gamepass.

This is some ridiculous logic. Do you not go grocery shopping because some people get to shop for free with food stamps? Do you not drive a car because Oprah gave cars away one time? Do you not go to work and make money because others have won the lottery? Do you not wipe your ass because others have support workers that do it for them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom