• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast 2: A New Beginning Announce Trailer | PS5/Xbox Series/PC

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

20 years after the award-winning action adventure hit, Outcast, pioneered the genre of non-linear open-world games, the long-awaited sequel sees Cutter Slade return to the spectacular alien world of Adelpha.

Resurrected by the almighty Yods, he has returned to find the Talans enslaved, the world stripped of its natural resources, and his own past intertwining with the invading robot forces.
It's up to him to go on a mission and save the planet again.

The original team behind Outcast 1 has reunited to create this fascinating world, full of dangerous creatures and home to the Talan people – an ancient culture whose fate has become inextricably linked with earth since the events of the first game.
You play as Cutter Slade, ex-Navy SEAL, sporting the same dry wit he had back in the 90s – however, the world around him has changed and eventually, so will he.

To save Adelpha, you will …
  • use your jetpack to jump, air-dash, glide, and quickly traverse the fantastic in-game open world
  • combine dozens of different modules to create your own personal weapon for taking down the robot invaders
  • have total control to approach the story at your own pace in this non-linear world
  • explore the world without boundaries, discover hidden temples and dangerous wildlife
  • get familiar with the Talan culture while helping them free their villages and gain access to ancient Talan powers that use forces of nature to destroy your enemies
  • experience a beautiful, hand-crafted world accompanied by an epic soundtrack by Outcast's original composer, Lennie Moore

ss_75666de5f993cac4c4d18f571884657ea69626e0.jpg
ss_aeea549e662801c6672a35ddae201570c24b59e6.jpg
ss_386e6950215d0eed1f32ae561658d3749c370195.jpg
ss_b527fe28c3ae7a1ec0e7da1d5a943e0ae8056be4.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Hmmm maybe I should finally try that copy of Outcast: Second Contact I got from GWG a long time ago.

I always meant to and this trailer has me interested.

skit_data

Phew, thats like an oldtime movie sequel. They didn’t exactly rush out the sequel back then. It was a better time.

On topic: Never played the original, but I remember having a demo of it from PC Gamer Magazine

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Holy fucking shit, I can't believe it's finally happening.

Outcast was one of those games that was miles ahead of its time. The UI and controls date it pretty bad but that game was pulling off stuff in the open world action adventure genre that took years to catch up to.

CamHostage

OMG I still have the original outcast game for PC. Loved it. I am playing this for certain!!!

I was even friends with one of the designers on the original. I wonder if he went back to work on it.

I read there's like 10 people from the original Appeal team involved. When Appeal reformed for Second Contact, it seems like the staff were ready to come back.

FYI, A New Beginning a whole new game that looks nothing like the "original", canceled Outcast 2, which was a PS2/PC project from 2001 that was using a really impressive version of the Fresh3d/FreshEngine at the time. I lament the death of that planned Outcast sequel to this day (kept hoping Second Contact would somehow lead to a revival of Lost Paradise if the prototype was in any shape to resurrect,) but this is a fresh start and actually does a better job of continuing the franchise with the hero back in his orange jumpsuit and just a lot more "frenchy" look to the world.

8Ovisl1.jpg

Last edited:

Holammer

I'm surprised the protag is an old white guy. That's as crazy a hwhite Nick Fury in a Marvel movie in current year.
Don't they know women of color is the new black?

oldergamer oldergamer CamHostage CamHostage
Remember that other game that the creators tried to pitch some years ago, in another fantastical world? Honestly, I would have preferred to see that game instead of this new OC2. This new version sees a bit too exaggerated and "too big". I wished to see a more grounded world with less advanced technology.

Stuart360

WOW i had no idea this was coming. I adored the orig game.

This would be the perfrect oppotunity to play the reamke of the first game that released in 2017. Its a proper RE2 style remkae, not just a HD upscale. Its really good and probably dirt cheap now.
Its on PC and console -

CamHostage

Remember that other game that the creators tried to pitch some years ago, in another fantastical world? Honestly, I would have preferred to see that game instead of this new OC2. This new version sees a bit too exaggerated and "too big". I wished to see a more grounded world with less advanced technology.

No, I don't remember a different Appeal project pitch. There's nothing on their Appeal Facebook page or Franck Sauer's blog about a pitch that didn't happen. Anywhere you can find with links?

I do wish this had some more of the funny colors and weird rounded edges that Outcast 1 (and even the Outcast Second Contact remake) are distinctive for... this new sequel doesn't seem "Orangey-Aqua" enough for me, yet. And I do hope this game tries to do some weird things with physics and gameplay and open-world concepts, something more interesting than your average open-world/licensed-engine action game. On the other hand, while the trailer shows off a lot of world segments, let's be real here: this is an Belgian-made game, financed by THQ. They don't have the money to really do this world "too big". The game designers will have to focus in on smart gameplay loops, satisfying combat, and maps that get the most use out of them for each goal, and looking at the tiny bit of "gameplay" included in the trailer set, I think it looks like they're doing some unusual play (it's very aerial, which is bizarre for Outcast but could be fun.) You're probably right to doubt that playing Outcast Second Contact and/or 1.1 will in much of any way prepare you for the second game, and maybe this won't be what Outcast devotees (they're out there) would be wanting after all this time, but I don't see it as a mistake yet. It's just... a new beginning.

As much as I drooled over screenshots of the PS2 Outcast 2 Lost Paradise as a technical work, I know that game always was going to be the wrong follow-up to Outcast, so this is a little more what it should be, and hopefully they keep kinking the edges until it somehow lines up.

ZehDon

WOW i had no idea this was coming. I adored the orig game.

This would be the perfrect oppotunity to play the reamke of the first game that released in 2017. Its a proper RE2 style remkae, not just a HD upscale. Its really good and probably dirt cheap now.
Its on PC and console -

I will just say that, while visually it's a complete re-make, the gameplay has a good amount of jank. I absolutely love Outcast, and the jank is part of it's character and charm to me, but REmake2 modernised the gameplay wonderfully, whereas the remake of Outcast mostly preserved the original gameplay, warts and all.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Looks great. Definitely checking this out.

This game is probably going to be attacked by the usual suspects for playing on the now offensive "white savior" trope, though.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Found it! It was called "Totems".
It was older than I remember, that's why I was not finding it.

This is cool, like a proto Assissin's Creed. Never seen this before.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Found it! It was called "Totems".
It was older than I remember, that's why I was not finding it.

Oh, interesting, I actually kind of remember this...

Well, I don't know if I'd go with you in saying that the world seemed less exaggerated or not too big in the Totem project; it's kind of the same Mayan-ruins-in-space concept, pushed a little farther in style and variety with Outcast 2 thanks to the technology bump (also Totems was never finished), and here it's a lot less populated in the areas shown (Outcast 2 will I'm sure vary in size, but the current footage focuses on the scale of the world rather than the utility of structures for gameplay.) 10TACLE/Elsewhere Entertainment were exploring parkour-on-another-world, sort of Assassin's Creed on another planet, and they got as far as the jumping/traversing plus the brawler combat, unclear what else got done.

Outcast 2 has its share of parkour, is the trailer/prototype footage is anything to go by, at a much less rapid rate of movement speed (albeit with a superpowered shield that lets you fall out of the sky... plus, a jetpack.) So there's that, but then the hero's combat is gun-based, which feels totally different from Totems... unless, there are maybe two playable characters? Far be it for me to give some shit to chew on for the durheyaintwokenuff posters here, but there are two characters shown in the game's keyart: Slade and a female warrior. She may just be his counterpart and contact for mission assignments (I assume she's the character in the World Trailer speaking of wanting to become a Dolotai Guardian), but she could also be a second character, with you playing some segments of the game as a Talan Warrior, and the mechanics with her character might be more focused infiltration, stealth (jetpacks aren't known for being stealthy,) and melee battles. It's just a guess on my part (and it doesn't make too much sense than an open-world game would have alternating characters,) but perhaps some of Totem made its way into the new Outcast. (Checked BTW and yes, Yves Grolet is part of the new Appeal, and side-note, they've been working on Outcast 2 in what looks to be UE4 for 3 years now.)

2k3lhtJ.png

I hope it's not bad, but this " Mayan-ruins-in-space concept" is not to my liking.
I wish they had kept the style in the middle east.

Tommi84

Great another white cis male character. They could've easily used a woman this time.
So you wish for the resurrected character to magically change the sex, too? Also, why did you already assumed that the main character doesn't identify self as a female?

Last edited:

gtrwll

I hope it's not bad, but this " Mayan-ruins-in-space concept" is not to my liking.
I wish they had kept the style in the middle east.
Did they have that kind of original vision for the sequel? I recall there was only one location in the original that had the middle-east design, and there was quite the variety between the locations. Hopefully that’s the case with this one as well.

Did they have that kind of original vision for the sequel? I recall there was only one location in the original that had the middle-east design, and there was quite the variety between the locations. Hopefully that’s the case with this one as well.

Instead of "middle east" would be better to say "old Mesopotamia".
Like I said before, I wish it looked more primitive.

Great Hair

Banned
Looks generic as fuck, with a douche as the protagonist. They never played the first one or never saw the tech demo on PS2. Just another (yet again) open world garbage with an IP only few people remember, with a douche doing back flips while shooting and shit, while completing quests about "this dude is evil, gotta collect 100 shmarleks and .... )

I take "Hot doo doo shit tier for $5" Phil!
James Brown Church GIF

Last edited:
Oh, btw, I know it'll be disappointed, but it'll "get really mad" if they don't address that probe/satellite at the bottom of a river in Okaar!

I don't think it's the same one from the intro that started the whole incident, that the Talan just threw in the river afterwards. I always thought it was a different one.

Top Bottom