• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our favourite movie of the 80s. (top 5 this time)

Tschumi

Although turn out for the previous thread was a bit on the thin side, those who did participate seemed to enjoy it a lot, and so - at the behest of teezzy teezzy and SpiceRacz SpiceRacz (and with the promised contribution of @The New Guy ) - I'm gonna roll out another thread right off the bat to tackle the decade of the 80s in similar manner.

The NeoGAF unofficial top 5 most-liked movies of the 1980s.

<RESULTS ON PAGE 3>

tenor.gif

I'll try to succinctly explain things here, but just in case I'll spoil the OP from the last thread, too.

1 - (5 points)
2 - (4 points)
3 - (3 points)
4 - (2 points)
5 - (1 point)

Rank your personal favourite flicks of the 1980s, from 1-5. The higher on your list the vote comes, the more votes it will get, as shown above. I will tally up votes at my own discretion when I reckon we've got a critical mass of input/interest has cap'd out.

Feel free to EDIT YOUR POST and update your top 5 lists as you think of things you want to change.

Here is the slightly more in-depth (less polished) explanation, copy/pasted from the last thread:
** NOTE: this thread was a top-4, it is now top-5 **

I'd like you to give your top 4 movies from/made in the 90s - in order.
I'll leave the thread for a day or two or something then tally up all the movies and see which one gets the most mentions/tallies. Probably don't wanna leave it too long because, if I'm lucky and i get a bunch of posts, it might be a fair bit of work tallying it all up.

It won't tell us much, i know, it's certainly nothing like the game tournament Karma did a few weeks ago, but if things go well then it should give us a chance to bond over shared interests and maybe accidentally pick an unexpected result. That's the real objective of this thread.

note: if you wanna revise your list, or if a buddy reminds you of something, feel free to edit your post. Make as many revisions as you want, I'll just take what you're settled on at the time i make my tally.

Please pick your favourites - not necessarily the highest rated, most viewed, or best regarded flicks you can think of.

Your 1st choice will get 4 points
2nd - 3pts
3rd - 2
4th - 1

When i pick a time to tally it up, I'll do so and stop tracking any new results, but i won't do that for a while if i can. Looking forward to learning about some cool movies.

Past Winners:
1990s thread: (1) Terminator 2 [44 votes]; (2) Goodfellas [26 votes]; (3) Pulp Fiction | Fight Club [19 votes]; (5-7) Shawshank Redemption; The Big Lebowski; The Matrix [14 votes]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tschumi

Here's my top 5, to be edited as I see fit:

1 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
2 - The Shining
3 - Stand by Me
4 - Blade Runner
5 - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Edit count: 9
Thoughts tracker:
Revision 7: It's looking too Hollywood.. decade deserves better

kunonabi

This was brutal.

1. The Little Mermaid
2. Police story 2
3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4.The Blues Brothers
5. Little Shop of Horrors

For the record I'm excluding Star Wars films since the original six films would always take up slots by default.

I'll make one exception to that rule if we get to it.

teezzy

Banned
1. Wings of Desire
2. Blade Runner
3. Raging Bull
4. Terminator
5. Blue Velvet

Yeah, that looks right. Took me a second, but I'm going with this.

For a film that's not even in English, I've seen Wings of Desire way too many times. I'd be lying to not put it at #1. I've watched all these a bunch, but Wings had a handicap against it, and still overcomes the other 🐐s

Makes me question shit tbh. Powerful movie, it is.

e038dd11534f29780506ee6c6ce4499d.gif

Tschumi

1. Wings of Desire
2. Blade Runner
3. Raging Bull
4. Terminator
5. Blue Velvet

Yeah, that looks right. Took me a second, but I'm going with this.

For a film that's not even in English, I've seen Wings of Desire way too many times. I'd be lying to not put it at #1. I've watched all these a bunch, but Wings had a handicap against it, and still overcomes the other 🐐s

Makes me question shit tbh. Powerful movie, it is.

e038dd11534f29780506ee6c6ce4499d.gif
Mate besides Goodbye Lenin that's my favourite German movie. Incredible flick.

I saw the last thread, but Im not really that passionate about 90's movies. 80's is a different story.

1. Return of the Jedi.
2. Predator.
3. Aliens.

There are many other movies from that decade that I really like, but its too hard to pick just two to round out my top five, so I'll just nominate my top three, which I loooove.

Tschumi

I saw the last thread, but Im not really that passionate about 90's movies. 80's is a different story.

1. Return of the Jedi.
2. Predator.
3. Aliens.

There are many other movies from that decade that I really like, but its too hard to pick just two to round out my top five, so I'll just nominate my top three, which I loooove.
all good i'll use your last two movies to bolster my picks :p great flick choices <3

gioGAF

1. Back to the Future
2. SW: Empire Strikes Back
3. Aliens
4. Predator
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Those are my top 5.

Back to the Future is one of my favorites of all time, shame that the rest are derivative rehashes. I had a hard time picking an Arnold classic, since Commando and Terminator were battling for the same space. Although the Predator franchise has been soiled over time, the original still holds up.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. The Thing
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Evil Dead
4. The Shining

Too brutal, I'm only posting 4 because they're the only ones I can say I love slightly more than the next dozen or so movies in the list. Should have been top ten for the 80s, there's way too many for a board that's probably mostly 25-35 year olds.

Only 1 other post with The Thing in? You people sicken me.

Last edited:
This is impossible. 80s is my favorite decade when it comes to music and movies. I tried to pick the top 5 based on what my heart says, but the rest are in random order.

1. Aliens
2. The Shining
3. Kiki’s Delivery Service
4. A Better Tomorrow
5. Robocop
Ghostbusters
Scarface
Blue Velvet
Bladerunner
Die Hard
The Killer
Predator
The Terminator
Empire Strikes Back
Back to the Future
All Indys
Das Boot
Amadeus
Full Metal Jacket
The Elephant Man
Airplane
This is Spinal Tap
Barfly
My Neighbour Totoro
Angel Heart
Blow Out
Dressed to Kill
The Thing
They Live
Lethal Weapon
Heavy Metal
Coming to America
Day of the Dead
Rocky IV
Top Gun
Transformers
Gremlins

Probably forgot some, and there are many more classics that I’ve yet to even see. 80s is the gift that keeps on giving.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's a movie i always look forward to watching whenever i decide to watch it.. like I'll get home that little bit quicker..

I first saw Amadeus in school, actually (in a week when there was a sub teacher or whatever). I don't think it went over too well with my classmates but I was just blown away by the story, the look, the music, the scale of it, it was amazing and I've loved it ever since.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Here's my top 5, to be edited as I see fit:

1 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
2 - The Shining
3 - Blade Runner
4 - Stand by Me
5 - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Edit count: 6
!. Aliens
2. Blade Runner
3. Rocky 4
4. First Blood
5. Terminator

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I ain't gonna lie, First Blood and the Goonies together have long caused me to totally fantasize about the mountains and nature in the NW of the US~ Unwilling to risk the bears though xP
80's is my favorite movie decade next to the 70's and it's really hard to list only 5 tops. I saw you had edited your first list 6 times. I would do the same but it would become endless editing...so I have to leave it as is. Rambo 2, Night of the Comet, Stand By Me, the Dead Zone, Shining, and Lethal Weapons 1 & 2 were biggies that are not in my list.

Setzer

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Back To The Future
3. The Goonies
4. Ghostbusters
5. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

That was tough. There are several other movies that I could have easily put in my top 5 list.... Beetlejuice, Princess Bride, Mad Max, Coming To America, Predator.... Just to name a few. The 80's was my favorite decade for movies.

Last edited:

T8SC

1: Aliens
2: The Empire Strikes Back
3: Predator
4: The 'Burbs
5: Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade

That list will change in 10 minutes as it's too difficult to separate 3-5.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Top Gun
The Terminator
Return Of The Jedi
Die Hard
Robocop
Commando
Clue
The Thing
The Running Man
Lethal Weapon
Beverly Hils Cop
The Goonies

Impossible.

O-N-E

This is likely a pretty uninformed list. Need to watch more 80s movies. I've only seen one of these in the last decade, so this is just gut feeling.

1. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
  2. Nausicaa
  3. Back to the Future
  4. Beetlejuice
  5. The Fly

Top Bottom