• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT: ULTRAKILL --- Doom 2016 inspired retro twitch shooter

Are you interested in this game

• yes

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • no

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • something else

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
I feel this game should have an official thread. What is it? It's an old school fps/throwback shooter that takes inspiration from modern doom.
ULTRAKILL is a fast-paced ultraviolent retro FPS combining the skill-based scoring from character action games with unadulterated carnage inspired by the best shooters of the 90's. Rip apart your foes with varied destructive weapons and shower in their blood to regain your health.
Developer: Arsi Hakita Patala
Platform: Windows and Linux
Engine: Unity
Release date: "summer 2020"
Demo available https://hakita.itch.io/ultrakill-prelude

Ur0h8l.png

EA8UCP8U0AAAt_Q.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Can we please stop with this „inspired“ nonsense? It’s a straight COPY of the game. A fucking COPY.

It straight out COPIED doom and wasn’t just „inspired“ by it.
No it's not a copy. Man, you're such a negative nancy.
It doesn't even have glory kills. The movement is also much much faster then in doom. I suggest you download that demo. It's an amazing game. What's even more stunning is the fact that is made by just one guy.

Last edited:

Skyr

Fuck yea I am. Right up my alley.

Can we please stop with this „inspired“ nonsense? It’s a straight COPY of the game. A fucking COPY.

I don't see it. Doom 2016 is far more restrcted in the movement department and slower paced. Visually it reminds me more of the original quake rather than doom.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm surprised by the poll results.
I thought more people would be into throwback shooters.
Plenty people like throwback shooters, just not necessarily all of them. Loved DUSK. Didn't like Amid Evil. Loved Ion Fury. Didn't love Wrath (yet). Like the look of Prodeus. Strafe was a let down. Maximum Action looks cool. Hedon is neat too. Etc. It's not like there's a shortage of them these days.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I love throwback shooters and I'll typically give any of them a chance. but the gameplay does nothing to motivate me to try it.

I wouldn't knock it before you try it. For me, it ranks right up there with DUSK, as one of my favorite throwback shooters. It's better than Ion Fury imo, and it's just a demo.

Romulus

I wouldn't knock it before you try it. For me, it ranks right up there with DUSK, as one of my favorite throwback shooters. It's better than Ion Fury imo, and it's just a demo.

I'm not knocking it all, I just need to be in the slightest motivated, and I'm not.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Quake is not an ugly game, yet these throwback boomer shooters insist on being ugly. Same issue as Dusk, which is a great game otherwise. Amid Evil looks fantastic btw, so it is possible.

Birdo

Banned
I like the visuals.

As the years go on, I find myself becoming more nostalgic for low-poly/res art style.

I hope it becomes as popular as pixel art with Indie games.

I really dig these upcoming FPS games that remind me of the shooters from my youth. I’m gonna keep an eye on this, just like Gloomwood

this reply is inspired by you

Last edited:

sn0man

I'm surprised by the poll results.
I thought more people would be into throwback shooters.
Plenty people like throwback shooters, just not necessarily all of them. Loved DUSK. Didn't like Amid Evil. Loved Ion Fury. Didn't love Wrath (yet). Like the look of Prodeus. Strafe was a let down. Maximum Action looks cool. Hedon is neat too. Etc. It's not like there's a shortage of them these days.

that’s the thing for me personally. I can still play UT2004 and Q3A. For a new one of these to succeed there needs to be one and it needs to take off such that instead of 5 of them there are 5 groups making map packs and mods.

Warsow, shootmania, reflex, quake live (sorta), xonotic, Toxikk, Quetoo, diabotical (maybe someday)...

if Epic and idsoftware released something called QvU (Quake v Unreal Tournament) simultaneously on Epic/Bethesda/Steam and focused all their effort on getting small studious to make something universal I think there’s a chance.

Top Bottom