• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Voter Reveals Her Brutally Honest Ballot: 'La La Land' "Not Memorable"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I like Hell or High Water a decent amount but it's not gonna be remembered as a classic and this woman is out of her mind if she thinks that random waitress could've used an Oscar nod

I really wonder who this oscar voter is.

Personally, I thought HoHW was a super plain movie that did nothing of interest.

Anyway, articles this just goes to show what kind of thought process goes into the average Oscar voter.

CHC

Why are people so annoyed? Everyone knows the Oscars are like a GAF GOTY thread. It's just subjective - people in the industry vote for what they liked the best. It's not like some ultra-vetted panel of film scientists.

She thought Arrival was sucky Hollywood schlock, fair enough.

Fuchsdh

La La Land is pretentious garbage. the fact it got nominated for best costume design (!) goes to show how in the tank this movie is - it's a Hollywood movie about Hollywood. Hope it loses. It is the next "Crash" and "Hurt Locker", no one will remember it 5 or 10 years from now.

I don't think there's anything pretentious about La La Land.

But it is a Hollywood Movie about Hollywood, so yeah it naturally has more heft. It's why Hugo and The Artist won, irrespective of their merits (I liked The Artist a lot, hated Hugo.)

Arrival hate already disqualifies her from having an opinion worth putting much weight behind, but the snide dismissals of Fences in every category is pure ignorance, and wanting to snub August Wilson for the screenplay? No.

"Wasn't adapted" my ass. Knowing not to fuck with genius is part of adaptation, even if the genius in question is your own. Nobody in Hollywood has written anything as good as Fences in the last quarter century. Give the man his fucking Oscar.

Opinions, how do they work

Arrival hate already disqualifies her from having an opinion worth putting much weight behind, but the snide dismissals of Fences in every category is pure ignorance, and wanting to snub August Wilson for the screenplay? No.

"Wasn't adapted" my ass. Knowing not to fuck with genius is part of adaptation, even if the genius in question is your own. Nobody in Hollywood has written anything as good as Fences in the last quarter century. Give the man his fucking Oscar.

I loved Fences, don't get me wrong, but it really did feel disjointed at times from what I expected. Everything that isn't directly tied to Denzel and family happens off-screen, and even when I watched it the first time I wasn't sure that was a good choice. They definitely could have done more with it, but as it stands it's a film carried by some career best performances that makes it better than it is on paper. At least in my eyes.

But I'm also in the camp that agrees with the protest vote of Viola Davis, because she is the definition of a lead actress in the film but they didn't want to submit her in a stacked category. Hell she'd probably beat Emma Stone if I had to guess. Michelle Williams was the real best supporting actress last year, her scene with Casey towards the end was one of the most brutal, real exchanges I've seen in film in a long time.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thoroughly enjoyed Hell or High Water, but I don't think many people will remember it in 5 years, let alone it being some undiscovered classic. It's not No Country for Old Men. And this is coming from someone who eats modern westerns up with a spoon. But opinions and all that.

Damn, all that hate for Arrival.
I wish it could win best oscar picture just to spite her.

It's an amazing film, one of the best sci fi in years.

EDIT: I remember Hurt Locker ;_;

How? All I remember about it was it was about a bomb tech coming back to civilian life. Other than that, I couldn't tell you a damn thing about it, who was in it, what the character names were, nothing. That movie was amazingly forgettable in every aspect and still somehow was nominated for, and won awards it shouldn't have been anywhere near.

Parahan

The hate La La Land gets around here is unwarranted. It was a very charming movie with great performances, good musical numbers and an unexpectedly bittersweet ending. I didn't think it was pretentious at ALL. Could anyone who thinks that elaborate a bit? Is it because it was a musical? Does bursting into song and dance make stuff pretentious? I guess that makes almost every Bollywood movie in existence super pretentious!

It's not because it's a musical but because it's merely a throwback to the old Hollywood musicals with poorly felshed out characters albet charming ones. It's almost like the the director sees himself in Seb, the hardcore jazz purist and has made the film with the intention that he is bringing back the "good old days" of musicals.

It's like how the black friend tells him he can't be revolutionary if he is a stuck up traditionalist. I agree with that guy. So this movie too doesn't do anything revolutionary but is praised simply because it appeals to nostalgic purists in some people.

"I hated Arrival - it just sucked."

86d.gif

Carlius

Banned
i thought la la land was terrible..absolute boredom half of the film i dont see why people think its worthy of best picture..maybe cause all other movies sucke

Now imagine over 6000 Academy voters with similar level of mentality and nuance to picking Oscar winners 😂

Only thing I'll giver her is repping The Red Turtle, that's incredibly rare an Academy voter would acknowledge a foreign or arthouse animated film.

ElFly

I loved that too. It's like shes bringing it up just out of spite

Best foreign language film.

My Arrival DVD had subtitles so I just muted it and saw it like that. Shocking news!! It still sucks ! Definitely out.

Best original song.

Arrival didn't even had a song to go with it. Way to cheap out on your film, you cheapskates! Just say no to Arrival.

Best actress.

Lois Lane was awful on it. I don't even know her name! I also just closed my eyes whenever she was on screen, because Arrival stinks so much. Disqualified right out.

Hell or High Water for president tbh. I can't believe a movie already beat No Country For Old Men at its own game. Best actor should go to the rattlesnake waitress.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, that is petty and full of salt. No wonder people don't take the Oscars seriously.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think her comments on Arrival are borderline unnecessary and detrimental at worse. Seriously if you can't come up with better reasons you shouldn't be voting. I would be surprised if the voters for the Grammy's are the same way. Anyway, Hell or High Water is a good movie, but nothing revolutionary, same with Arrival honestly enough. They are both 4/5 and are just missing that special something.

LakeEarth

Her stupid hot takes should disqualify her votes immediately.

Dismissing Arrival for cinematography of all thing? Fuck outta here.

Yeah, just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean you can just immediately ignore things like it's cinematography.

She has a good point with the trend of the Oscar's putting leading actors in the "supporting" category for some odd reason.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not because it's a musical but because it's merely a throwback to the old Hollywood musicals with poorly felshed out characters albet charming ones. It's almost like the the director sees himself in Seb, the hardcore jazz purist and has made the film with the intention that he is bringing back the "good old days" of musicals.

...That's what the director pretty much said, paraphrased. And that's alright. Sometimes we need an old-school traditional musical. And for me, La La Land was a surprise. I didn't care for the ending (it was so telegraphed) but the entire film was worth a watch.

jmizzal

I agree with her on supporting categories Naomie Harris and Jeff Bridges were amazing.

Dang shes hard on Arrival lol, I liked it but it wasnt Villeneuve's best movie Prisoners was much better and should have been nominated for the Oscar.

Nephtis

I don't understand her hatred of Arrival -- because I rented the movie on Redbox and kept it for 4 days.... and never got past the first 20 minutes without falling asleep. I really did try to watch it. It I just couldn't get into it or even get halfway through the movie.

So I literally don't know what's to hate about it.

Alx

I couldn't stop thinking while watching arrival that it was just a worse Contact.

I saw it as a different take on the idea of Contact, which made it interesting. I love Contact and thought it was a much better SF movie, but it was interesting and amusing to compare its strong faith in "hard science" to the whole language-based approach of Arrival (especially when the latter quickly mentions how the aliens sucked at maths :D)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know Hidden Figures story wise is kinda by the numbers. Still thought the main black female actresses were all great in their roles though.

"Oh no, someone doesn't think Arrival is hot shit. Therefore all the opinions are invalidated!" Foh yo

People seem more upset about the fact that she seems to just dislike it without putting forth reasons why. I personally don't care, she's offering up her ballot to the public and the Academy doesn't quiz you on why you vote the way you do.

I like Arrival a lot but I can see why it wouldn't resonate with people, even a little bit. I have a friend who for some reason cannot suspend his disbelief AT ALL when it comes to time travel related stuff. He hasn't seen it but I would bet money that he would walk out of the theater saying it is dumb as hell.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol i love her posts. she's such a fanboy. Absolutely hilarious that she hated Arrival. A perfectly fine Sci-Fi move. It's her Interstellar. Some gaffers hate that movie like Nolan killed their pet or something.

I dont know how anyone can rob Casey Affleck this year. It's just not fair to him especially after how he was ignored in Assassination of Jesse James.

Mel also deserves to win an Oscar more than anyone on that list. He topped Saving Private Ryan. Something I thought wasn't possible in my lifetime.

Viola Davis getting nominated for supporting actress is fucking bizarre.

I haven't seen anything other than Arrival and Manchester on that list, but im gonna go with Manchester because that movie wrecked me. I dont see any other movie doing that to me.

vulva

Curious as to what you think was the best film of the year? I don't think there's a clear "best film" but the films nominated are pretty highly praised. Stuff like Arrival and Hell or High Water seem like dark horse picks that don't typically get nominated for Best Picture.

You're wrong, but do elaborate. Unless you're going to say Deadpool, in which case just don't bother.

Hell or High Water and Moonlight alone invalidates this post.

I think if I had to pick a few potential selections that I think are more deserving than what made the list I'd go with some of the following which I enjoyed more than any of the current nominees:
Sully, Cafe Society, Elle, Julieta, Staying Vertical, L'Avenir, Crosscurrent, Aquarius, White Girl and I'm holding a spot for Personal Shopper, which I haven't seen yet but I tend to love almost everything Assayas does.

Of the actual nominees I think Hell or High Water was my favourite and then probably Moonlight, but I didn't love either. I liked them enough but they didn't really wow me. All the ones I mentioned (with the exception of Personal Shopper for obvious reasons) wowed me in one way or another and really left a mark with me as a viewer.

Edit: somehow forgot to mention Silence, which I also throught was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom