• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Voter Reveals Her Brutally Honest Ballot: 'La La Land' "Not Memorable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Spotlight and 12 Years are excellent films.

I really enjoyed both, and a number of other winners, and why I mention how arbitrary it is to use memorable.

Actually, I'll walk back on one of them. Spotlight (along with All the President's Men) has come up recently regarding investigations into the Trump administration.

1upsuper

I believe becoming part of the voting membership requires either being nominated for an Oscar, or being nominated by an existing voting member. It basically reinforces certain demographics in the voting membership: those who live and work primarily in Hollywood.

Ugh. Lots of issues with that membership process, including a personal favorite: "only artists can be critics."

Gobias

Banned
Denzel has played this role a million times before, and he got the Tony for it — I'm sure he was amazing onstage, but he didn't do anything unexpected on film. You've got to seem alive in the moment, and maybe if he'd gotten a really great director to direct him, that person would have nudged him to do that.

Savage

On the one hand, it's refreshing to see things like her not completely dismissing the entire category of Animated movies like pretty much everyone else.

On the other, her "analysis" is really wanting. She just tosses hyperbole around like some troll at IMDB forums (RIP). "She looked like a clown!" "This movie was crap!" "This just sucked!" No wonder people are baffled at the Oscar winners each year. The voting process is as deep as a GAF poll (Thor 2 option included).

You're being far too kind to Argo.

msty.gif

Seems like we always get these kinds of ballots every year that claim they don't care for the frontrunner, yet the supposed frontrunner still winds up being winning anyway. It's interesting, but it doesn't mean much.

La La Land is pretentious garbage. the fact it got nominated for best costume design (!) goes to show how in the tank this movie is - it's a Hollywood movie about Hollywood. Hope it loses. It is the next "Crash" and "Hurt Locker", no one will remember it 5 or 10 years from now.

This is more wishful thinking on your part than anything, right now. Personally, I think La-La Land will be well remembered in the future. Will see of course.

Brinbe

I recall the GAF MOTY rankings actually being pretty solid these past few years and not just being filled with every superhero/summer blockbuster. So we're not so bad.

LionPride

Banned
Nah, I believe Denzel as Troy in the film.
How? Denzel's actions, voices, mannerisms, don't chage across projects except for Malcolm X.

Training Day? Denzel plays a man who is from Compton with a NY accent
American Gangster: Same thing basically
Equalizer: Man who fights and has that same accent

I love him, but he isn't the best in terms of pure acting. He has so much charisma though

Ah, yeah, well, she isn't expected to get a review in this isn't she? Not dickishly asking, just I'm not aware if THR publish this type of stories with certain expectations. Maybe she can give reasons, but doesn't feel like it?

It's Contact for dummies. But hey, that's just me.

If that's how you want to describe it? Weird. I didn't think Contact was particularly smart or clever.

How? Denzel's actions, voices, mannerisms, don't chage across projects except for Malcolm X.

Training Day? Denzel plays a man who is from Compton with a NY accent
American Gangster: Same thing basically
Equalizer: Man who fights and has that same accent

I love him, but he isn't the best in terms of pure acting. He has so much charisma though

Denzel is your classic leading man movie star that can elevate decent to ok material solely by his performances that can carry it. Very few actors can do that.

I love Denzel, but he plays Denzel in every movie he's in. In Fences he is Denzel in Philly being a crab ass towards Jackie Robinson and being a shit heel. And he got to do it twice.

I can never get behind "actor plays himself", honestly, and I think most people misuse that term a bit. It's not like Denzel's a cop, or a pilot, or a down on his luck worker in real life, for example.

In general, performances should be judged by how good they are, not by how much different compared to an actors previous roles, at least that's how I view it anyway.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nearly all of those are at the very least solid 7/10s. Only Crash is a piece of shit, and King's Speech is meh.

There lies the issue. The Oscars while opinions, are supposed to be for the very best films. 6-7 out of 10 is normally an alright film.

Going through the list

Best pic winners since 2000
Gladiator - This is the very definition of a 7/10 film. Well shot, acted, etc. I personally love the film and it's call back to the old historical films. But he did the same thing, just 5x better 4 years later with KoH. In the end, Gladiator was just that. It's a great memorable film, but it lacks that certain vision I feel to elevate it.

A Beautiful Mind - I love Ron Howard, but no. No...Fuck no. This was trash. Apollo 13, sure. It's what he does best. The movie at best is a meh, at worst a painful experience. It

Chicago - Again, this is that sort of wank fest Hollywood loves to give themselves. I liked the visuals and some of the numbers, but it's not even close to a good, let alone great film.

RoTK - Nope again. FOTR is the only one of the trilogy deserving and rightfully should have won. This was a massively bloated mess of a film that was a pure apology for ignoring FOTR.

Million Dollar Baby - I can't even remember a damn thing from this.

Crash - I was laughing at the end.

Departed - Mess of a film again and another Academy, "We're sorry" to Scorese.

No Country for Old Men - First truly deserving film of the decade.

Slumdog Millionaire - I'll actually be in the minority, but I think it was deserved. It's basically a great blend of a fairy tale story mixed with the upbringing story of the slums, over three generations. With the 1st gen child actors being really good.

Hurt Locker - I understand why it won. It's the film for Iraq basically. But one, she did it better with Zero Dark Thirty. Two, it's got some excellent tension, but fizzled out by the end.

King's Speech - Another Gladiator, pure 7/10 and it's well done, well acted, everything. But again, it's a visionless film I feel.

Artist - Who?

Argo - Really?

12 Years - Oh hell yeah, only downfall was Brad Pitt shoehorning himself in, but Steve McQueen directed the shit out of this.

Birdman - No opinion.

Spotlight - At first, I was against it, but really the film has grown on me. It's an extremely well done. One done with as much subtle as the actual story and it worked. It took a second rewatch for me to appreciate it.

So I'd say they are at 4 out of 15

Denzel is your classic leading man movie star that can elevate decent to ok material solely by his performances that can carry it. Very few actors can do that.

Denzel is a Star, not an Actor. You go to see Denzel... be Denzel. There is no other way to say it.

NoRéN

La La Land is pretentious garbage. the fact it got nominated for best costume design (!) goes to show how in the tank this movie is - it's a Hollywood movie about Hollywood. Hope it loses. It is the next "Crash" and "Hurt Locker", no one will remember it 5 or 10 years from now.

My thoughts exactly. Though, we will be in the minority.

Denzel is a Star, not an Actor. You go to see Denzel... be Denzel. There is no other way to say it.

He's still acting, though.... pretty great if I might add. You're so used to him doing a great job, that you just think it's Denzel being Denzel. This isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger or Keanu Reeves you're going to watch for being a Star.

If that's how you want to describe it? Weird. I didn't think Contact was particularly smart or clever.

I disagree, certainly more straightforward and at first glance 'dumber' than Arrival and its convoluted presentation but the conclusion to the story tied up swiftly both from a general perspective and the protagonists own path of redemption.

Arrival for me misses big time with the climax and the whole scene
with the chinese President? I mean, the exposition here is blatantly stupid, I felt insulted with such a lazy way to tie everything together in what at THAT point considered a very well put movie

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For everyone saying Gaf would be worse. I don't know, I think last year we had a pretty impressive turn out.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. Inside Out
4. Ex Machina
5. Sicario
6. The Martian
7. Creed
8. The Hateful Eight
9. The Revenant
10. Room

The rightful Oscar winner, Critics choice, best film, number one in the wasteland film on top.

But films like Inside Out, Ex Machina, Sicario, The Martian, Creed, Hateful Eight, Revenant, and The Room are all solid and most were Oscar contenders themselves. The only odd ball is Star Wars

Window

Argo is a 7/10 film. Well made but forgettable, self congratulatory and has that little bit of "bad brown people".
A little bit? The characterisation in the film is also completely rote opting to use Hollywood cliches in attempt to give them depth (which it fails at). The heist narrative and stylings of the film are also completely at odds with the complex geopolitical subject matter of the film. The airport runway scene was laughable and completely incredulous

Denzel has acted on stage quite a few times now and is one of the most acclaimed leading actors of his generation. You can be a star, and still be an "actor", I'm not sure why you have to be one or the other, really.

gconsole

Sorry but u r wrong.

MrMephistoX

Haven't seen La La Land yet, but Whiplash was one of the best movies of my life and I hope to enjoy this too.

Havent seen Whiplash but my god I just saw Jackie...Natalie Portman deserves to win. Admittedly I'm hopelessly biased having had a mad crush on her since I was 12 and have been obsessed with the Kennedy assasination since 3rd grade.

A little bit? The characterisation in the film is also completely rote opting to use Hollywood cliches in attempt to give them depth (which it fails at). The heist narrative and stylings of the film are also completely at odds with the complex geopolitical subject matter of the film. The airport runway scene was laughable and completely incredulous
I kinda meant for it to be an understatement. As a half Iranian dude, this movie did piss me off in its portrayal of the people. All we ever see are a bunch of angry mobs and intimidating men who are bad because they're Iranian.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
He's still acting, though.... pretty great if I might add. You're so used to him doing a great job, that you just think it's Denzel being Denzel. This isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger or Keanu Reeves you're going to watch for being a Star.

He does it great, but that's it. It's at the point where I can not see him play a different character anymore. I only see Denzel now. Is he a better actor? Yes, he can sell Denzel far better than Keanu can sell Keanu. But it's not like his roles are differing much anymore.

But I also think this is a strength. For example, I do not like Depp typically when he leads. Sure, he has the variety, but not the leading man quality. It's always been better in small doses. Denzel, I don't think I've ever got tired of him in a picture. He's like Nicholson for a comparison. Sure, he may go out there and play the same character in different shades, but it's what he's best at and he does it well. Not become a burn out either like Pacino or DeNiro playing the same, but he can actually turn out a great performance.

I feel like very few actors can do both. Have the variety, yet still lead. When I think a Star, I think an actor whose really mastered that one role and can apply it to many movies. When I think actor, I think of someone who can blend into many different roles and sell it in any movie. Tom Hardy is probably the best example of the latter I can think of right now.

forrest

formerly nacire
I liked Hell of High Water, but I didn't find it great. Also, Jeff Bridges really needs to kill the terrible lower register country codger accent. It's awful.

Window

I kinda meant for it to be an understatement. As a half Iranian dude, this movie did piss me off in its portrayal of the people. All we ever see are a bunch of angry mobs and intimidating men who are bad because they're Iranian.
Yeah its depiction of Iran and its people was awful. I cannot believe it won Best Picture.

danm999

Yikes she hates Arrival. Doesn't even analyse it. I thought the cinematography was pretty good myself.

Is this an attitude that's common amongst Academy voters? Is this why a sci fi movie has never won Best Picture?

amaretto

Havent seen Whiplash but my god I just saw Jackie...Natalie Portman deserves to win. Admittedly I'm hopelessly biased having had a mad crush on her since I was 12 and have been obsessed with the Kennedy assasination since 3rd grade.

Jackie was such an odd experience for me. I felt so cold & like I was kept at arm's length but the technical prowess on display in that film was outrageous. It felt more like I was watching the beginnings of some horror/psycho-thriller film.

And yea, Portman was in top shape. I remember when the film first premiered Venice and exploded. Portman came out of nowhere and looked like she was all set for Oscar #2 and the film was gonna rack up nominations across the board. Saddens me that's not how it turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom