• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Isaac wants to play Snake in Metal Gear Solid movie

VulcanRaven

Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts says “the ball’s in Oscar’s court” in regards to Oscar Isaac portraying Solid Snake in the upcoming “Metal Gear Solid” film, according to a tweet Sunday.

Isaac, best known for portraying Poe Dameron in “Star Wars,” expressed his interest in playing Solid Snake in the upcoming “Metal Gear Solid” movie during an interview with IGN for Netflix’s Triple Frontier. “Metal Gear Solid, that’s the one,” Isaac said. “I’m throwing my hat in for that one.”

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/oscar-isaac-mgs-snake-1203154120/

Here is a pic someone made:
oscar-isaac-mgs-mockup.png

I'm not sure if he is the right choice. That fanart looks great but I don't know. Has Sony green-lighted the movie yet? It might happen if they get a popular actor like Isaac as Snake.

Edit: Sorry for the typo in thread title.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
he's a decent actor if given the material and i can see him doing actiony stuff. but can he do the voice? have to admit it's going to be tough seeing a Solid Snake without Hayter's voice.

Orpheum

i like the dude but as mentioned above, he might have to train his voice a bit. From an acting perspective though...cool stuff

Last edited:
He'd be an excellent Nathan Drake. Watch him during an action scene in the last Jedi. Especially when he's shouting stuff inside a cockpit. That's straight up Nathan Drake my dude.

He could work as a young snake too, I guess. I'm sure he's done his own David hayter impressions on his own. What he should do as proof of concept at this point is upload a sample of dialogue with him in character. Like what Scott Adkins did for Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Dunki

WHAT There will be a MGS Movie? And it is not directed by Kojima? WHY would anyone want this....
As or the picture he looks close enough but does he has the voice?

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Josh Holloway could be great as Snake. He might be a bit too old now but he would be a good choice. He was Sawyer in Lost.

original.gif

I hope they have a cameo from David Hayter as an enemy soldier or someone who calls Snake on codec so we can hear his voice.
Also, i nominate John Goodman for Colonel Campbell (hes worked with Vogt-Roberts before), and Kurt Russel for Revolver Ocelot. Sadly, i see this movie essentially being greenlit, Oscar initially signing on, going into development hell, and him dropping out because of script problems or something.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hugh Jackman would have been the perfect Snake but I guess he's too old now. They should cast someone new who looks the part. No need to cast someone always famous. Like it'll do any difference anyway. If the movie isn't good, a know actor won't save it. If the movie is good, a know actor won't make any difference.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Dudes a good actor, but face and voice wise, he doesn't hit the spot for me, personally. He's a good actor though, can't be denied.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If he is cast as Snake he WILL do it justice in an amazing way i bet. Trust me.

Maybe, maybe... Like I said, dudes a good actor, he really is. But he's not fitting the image my mind is projecting. I guess that's a big problem with these things, we kinda imagine them looking a certain way, and if they don't tick the boxes they don't "work" for us on a personal level. I'm not even sure if the time has passed for a Metal Gear movie to work. Like, what would it be about? People don't really know "metal gear" outside of MGS and above, so I would say MGS would be the story. But then... Would that even work as a film, when it was setup in the game in such a way that it was essentially told as a whole?

Game to film adaptations are usually shit anyway, but man, if there was one that I would wish came and was awesome, it would be Metal Gear :(

Maybe, maybe... Like I said, dudes a good actor, he really is. But he's not fitting the image my mind is projecting. I guess that's a big problem with these things, we kinda imagine them looking a certain way, and if they don't tick the boxes they don't "work" for us on a personal level. I'm not even sure if the time has passed for a Metal Gear movie to work. Like, what would it be about? People don't really know "metal gear" outside of MGS and above, so I would say MGS would be the story. But then... Would that even work as a film, when it was setup in the game in such a way that it was essentially told as a whole?

Game to film adaptations are usually shit anyway, but man, if there was one that I would wish came and was awesome, it would be Metal Gear :(
Jordan Vogt-Roberts said its not based on any game and that its going to be its own story, but has the spirit and is very "metal gear". I bet its going to be a cross between MGS 1 and MGS3. Try to imagine Rambo 2 with Metal Gear's wackiness!

VulcanRaven

I hope it will have many scenes from MGS1. I really want to see Gray Fox in the movie. The hallway scene would be great:

At 3:12

Last edited:
Watch everyone doubt this movie when the trailers start dropping and then it gets oscar nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actor haha.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I always thought Norman Reedus would’ve made a good Solid Snake. This is way before PT/Silent Hills.

He was a terrible Apocalypse. Now he wants to be a terrible Solid Snake.
I beg to differ, excellent down to earth representation of power(no cosmic whip of reality like Thanos), but more like a boss unleashing everyone's potential. Mostly in an implicit or symbolic form.

Apocalypse can be seen as a metaphor for Moses, trying to bring the promise land here rather than going to the promised land. OF course vast remodeling would be necessary to accomplish such a feat, and most probably don't want a cyberspace city to replace their precious mom and pop stores. So it would be unwanted change in a sense, something people beg for, but do to how f scary it is they'd rather not try it. Imagine everything being turned into computronium(unobtainium).

Last edited:
Top Bottom