• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Tetris on Gameboy Color. Was there colors in it?

HF2014

Been thinking about getting an old gameboy to play original tetris, and there is well the knowned 3 models, OG gameboy, GB Pocket and GBC. Yes, there is the gameboy advance and multiple portable retro machine, but what i want to feel is to see this yellowish screen when playing, as i use to play in the past. And also to my title question, did the gameboy color were displaying colors on the original tetris? Because i want to feel how it was in the past when i played it, and it was in yellow and black 😬, not with colors. Im more targeting a GB Pocket or Color, the original sure will give me back the same feeling, but thinking like the pocket could be a simple better machine to play it. And its just tomplay that tbh, i really dont have much interest playing other games.

Chukhopops

Original GB Tetris was not in color even on GBC. There was a version called Tetris DX for GBC.

mozFX9U.jpg

Kilau

Gold Member
yiUTro6.png

As you can see, the screens are different. You won’t have the yellow, you can choose some color palettes for non color games or stick to monochrome.

Emulators offer the yellow filter option.

HF2014

On the GBC you could change the color of original games.

How was that an option? In the settings? I really dont remember if carts were displaying automaticly colors or not. If im getting a color i want to make sure OG tetris can be play black and yellow.

HF2014

yiUTro6.png

As you can see, the screens are different. You won’t have the yellow, you can choose some color palettes for non color games or stick to monochrome.

Emulators offer the yellow filter option.

Interesting to see that all other models were not yellow but more green like. Hmm.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The same way Super Gameboy changed the colors right?
Yes. GBC would also enhance games like the Super GB did if the game was programmed for it.

How was that an option? In the settings? I really dont remember if carts were displaying automaticly colors or not. If im getting a color i want to make sure OG tetris can be play black and yellow.
In the start up when game boy comes on the screen you can use the d pad and buttons to change the color.

Last edited:

HF2014

Oh shit, i just found this. Anyone tested this on gameboy advance sp?

Even found a video, we can make the gameboy advance do the yellow screen!

Last edited:

Banned
Yes. GBC would also enhance games like the Super GB did if the game was programmed for it.

that's not true, some games did support special GBC color pallets but not Super GB pallets. Sometimes they are similar or the same, but it's not the same functionality.

you can test this by playing Pokemon Red or Blue on a GBC, no color outside of a weird blue and red color scheme.
when playing on a Super GB you have a similar color support as Pokemon Yellow on GBC

Last edited:

HF2014

Well seeing this little trick with GBA where you can change color pattern and makes it yellowish, i might focus on getting a gba sp now, even if its not ags 101. Sure its not the same holding feels as a gameboy, but if it can give the yellow tint to tetris like it used to, it probably what imwill get! 😬

Top Bottom