• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori Developer's Culture Reportedly 'Oppressive,' No Longer Working With Xbox (ign)

kingfey

Banned
Reminds me of when Bethesda bullied Human Head Studios with impossible deadlines and used that as an excuse to stop funding Prey 2 just so they would be in debt and become cheaper to acquire (which Human Head chose not to, but it hurt them pretty badly)
You dont need that example. Look at fallout Vegas. That should show you the real face behind bethesda.

Let me make it clear.
Do you think xbox will ignore funding moon studio next game? Especially when they made them 2 hits for their console.

Xbox really needs content right now. They won't refuse funding a game for their content.
What do you mean? we know from almost 2 years that the next Moon Studio's game is not Microsoft founded, but a multiplataform developed under Private Division. What will follow I suppose it will be largely dependant from the commercial result of this collaboration.

Why ? They own the IP. They can do whatever they want, hell they can put Rare on it. Moon Studios are clearly not playing ball.
It wouldn't be Ori. Let their studios make their own games instead of continuing the practice of believing the IP is all that matters and "developers will make whatever we tell them to make".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It wouldn't be Ori. Let their studios make their own games instead of continuing the practice of believing the IP is all that matters and "developers will make whatever we tell them to make".

Of course they don't *HAVE* to do that, but they can if they choose to. The developer isn't taking the IP with them, and I'm glad because the article makes it seem like the Moon Studio top folks are pretty terrible.

kingfey

Banned
What do you mean? we know from almost 2 years that the next Moon Studio's game is not Microsoft founded, but a multiplataform developed under Private Division. What will follow I suppose it will be largely dependant from the commercial result of this collaboration.
MS would have actually funded their next project, if there wasn't any issue.
But it seems certain issue, made them not fund their next project.

Look at post #93.

kingfey

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft acquired them by tactics of similar unethical nature
MS doesnt tolerate insulting their studios. They can spend $100b on your company easily. But the moment you insult them, and bash them, is the end of your rope.
These big corporation dont play around. They got too much ego.

WitchHunter

So they kickstarted a company with their money, then they found out it was a "mistake", so when the company was full of money thanks to good sales they decided to bail out :DDDDD. Btw the interview with the founders @ TGMN was interesting and they outlined quite the contrary what the article states.

I'd like to know what are these harassments are. Are there interviews with the employees somewhere where they outline these underhanded tactics? Are these overt or covert in nature?
I'm asking because I had my fair share of covert, very unpleasant psyops at bigger companies...

See above, this is the real world. What do you expect Xbox to do? Tell them there are no deadlines, they can take whatever amounts of money they want and they can generally do what they want?
When a game is ready they better be ready to publish it. Why even does a publicly traded company fight in the game arena if they need certain games for a certain quarter in order to please their shareholders? Tight deadlines and creativity does not mix well.

fermcr

Since Microsoft owns the Ori IP and Moon Studios are working on a new multiplatform game, Microsoft could get another studio to do Ori 3.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have to be second choice to make a sequel to an indie 2D metroidvania game.

You play that. I'll play the actual next game from the studio.
Ori is a acclaimed IP that have score over 90 wtf are you talking about like it some junk Indie IP?
hey it better if Toys for Bob work on IP other than Call of Duty

Corndog

Banned
Of course they don't *HAVE* to do that, but they can if they choose to. The developer isn't taking the IP with them, and I'm glad because the article makes it seem like the Moon Studio top folks are pretty terrible.
“Makes it seem”. Are we really going to give game journalists this much trust with the track record they have?

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I can separate the art from the artist. Blind Forest is a 9.4/10 for me and Will of the Wisps a 9.7/10. Just bloody fantastic games. 👏 If they made a third one I have no doubt it would go down in history as one of the most amazing gaming trilogies in existence.

Ori is a acclaimed IP that have score over 90 wtf are you talking about like it some junk Indie IP?
hey it better if Toys for Bob work on IP other than Call of Duty
Ori is great, but only because Moon did a great job. Indie Metroidvanias are a dime a dozen. People will care about the next game from Moon, not a new Ori game from a random studio.

That's why From can make constant spiritual successors. People are wanting the next Dark Souls game. They want the next FROM game.

Ori is great, but only because Moon did a great job. Indie Metroidvanias are a dime a dozen. People will care about the next game from Moon, not a new Ori game from a random studio.

That's why From can make constant spiritual successors. People are wanting the next Dark Souls game. They want the next FROM game.
Fuck it give Ori to the Tunic Dev he is 1 guy but he made a banger game in Tunic give it to him fuck Moon Studio

demonstr8

One of the founders is an Israeli Jewish person accused of a antisemitic behaviour?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
Self-hating Jew is not an uncommon occurrence. Bobby Fischer for example.

VAVA Mk2

I bet they would love to be under MS instead. You can work on a game for 6 years in an XBox studio and not even have a content-complete game 3 months after release...

MS would have actually funded their next project, if there wasn't any issue.
But it seems certain issue, made them not fund their next project.

Look at post #93.
Yeah, sorry if I don't find very believeble the accusation that they were bulling their producers...it seems really hard to bully who is responsible for your paycheck

Swift_Star

Banned
It's not OK, just real life. these things are inevitable and dwelling on them just creates self-hurdles to personal progress.
So because this happens and it’s real life everyone should accept that, nod their heads and be cool with it? I’m glad people don’t think like you do.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah, sorry if I don't find very believeble the accusation that they were bulling their producers...it seems really hard to bully who is responsible for your paycheck

“There are a lot of gamers who say we always like Ori, but I hate not being able to play it on the PlayStation. Well, why? It was funded by Microsoft, so they I’m in charge. Thankfully, I got Microsoft to allow me to port Ori to the Nintendo Switch, but it wasn’t free and probably only allowed because the title was small enough to not make a fuss.

The next game has a big vision that Moon will own the platform and IP and allow everyone to play together on all systems. We can guide it in the best direction for as many people as possible to win. Fortunately, you don’t have to tell some of them that you were out of luck … probably because of the fact that “the other parties aren’t playing with you”, “there are no artificial walls or borders.” “. With the vision of “by developing a game, porting it to all platforms, and setting an example for the gaming industry.

He had issues with their lockdown games. He wanted Ori on other platforms, and MS didnt want that option, since they funded the game.
The problem could have been escalated from these issues.

Unknown?

“There are a lot of gamers who say we always like Ori, but I hate not being able to play it on the PlayStation. Well, why? It was funded by Microsoft, so they I’m in charge. Thankfully, I got Microsoft to allow me to port Ori to the Nintendo Switch, but it wasn’t free and probably only allowed because the title was small enough to not make a fuss.

The next game has a big vision that Moon will own the platform and IP and allow everyone to play together on all systems. We can guide it in the best direction for as many people as possible to win. Fortunately, you don’t have to tell some of them that you were out of luck … probably because of the fact that “the other parties aren’t playing with you”, “there are no artificial walls or borders.” “. With the vision of “by developing a game, porting it to all platforms, and setting an example for the gaming industry.

He had issues with their lockdown games. He wanted Ori on other platforms, and MS didnt want that option, since they funded the game.
The problem could have been escalated from these issues.
Whaaatttt?! Good guy Microsoft doesn't REALLY want to unite all gamers like they claimed and blocking the game from other platforms??

Fuck it give Ori to the Tunic Dev he is 1 guy but he made a banger game in Tunic give it to him fuck Moon Studio
I just beat Tunic. It's nowhere near as good as Ori. I was pretty disappointed in it, as I was excited.

Regardless, Tunic is just a timed exclusive and it isn't owned by Microsoft.

BeardGawd

Banned
Not saying crunch is good or that I don't feel for people in bad work conditions, but will a conversation ever occur about what it actually takes to make a masterpiece?

The two Ori games are incredible, top of their class works and are highlights of Microsoft first party in the XB1 era. Would this still be the case if they worked less days, less hours and under management with a less "perfectionist" mindset?
Would a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 ever see the light of day without crunch?

I think these are questions that need to be raised while the industry rushes to make a value judgement on work culture.
Exactly. Steve Jobs for example was notoriously difficult to work for but he get amazing results out of people. And more often than not the people who hated it at the time are thankful someone pushed them in the end. The products speak for themselves.

Hey Toad, mind giving me some thoughts about what disappointed you?
Haven't had the chance to play it.

I'll just re-post what I wrote earlier in the OT.

"Just finished it. Biggest disappointment for me in a while. I really expected to like this game, but everything about it was just tedious - frustratingly poor combat and just complete randomness about stumbling on the next place to go.

Having to find all those hero graves at the end when I was ready to be done with the game was the worst - especially since it wasn't even clear that that is what needed to be done to progress the "story".

I clearly got the bad ending, judging by how it ended, and the fact I never opened the mountain door, but I think I'm ready to move on."

All that said, it's not a bad game and has good stuff going for it. But I found the combat too clunky to justify the difficulty, especially when you're just wanting to figure out where you need to go and what you need to do, but are getting constantly harassed by the same enemies all the time.

I definitely prefer Death's Door.

Last edited:
I just beat Tunic. It's nowhere near as good as Ori. I was pretty disappointed in it, as I was excited.

Regardless, Tunic is just a timed exclusive and it isn't owned by Microsoft.
Where did i say anything bout MS owning Tunic IP? i say that Ori IP can be put into the hands of other Devs and don't need Moon Studio

Last edited:

Shmunter

I know, but it felt like there is some push from Xbox to act like that. But maybe my comprehension after days work isn't the best.
Xbox is going woke with their studios. Namely, no crunch - so it’s unlikely.

Potentially the reason for the Initiative implosion, low productivity and leads that cannot deliver goals because everyone’s on a mental health break. You can’t run projects like this.

Last edited:

Dane

This. In my experience crunch can be greatly reduced with good and as complete as possible preproduction, protoyping, and efficient feedback processes when in prod.
If your game vision completely change every morning while in full prod, management is not doing its job and your boss is a moron who think he is still creating games solo in his parents garage.
Yup, there are games who have long pre plannings only to go to waste because management changes at the mid point and developers have to rush the fuck out because time is money and they won't get an extension. Crunch will happen in big projects, but becoming a nightmare over out of time changes that makes the whole "new" project entirely done on it is another story.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Wasn't this guy openly complaining that MS didn't make Ori fully multiplatform? Despite funding and owning the IP? It's clear he's a douchebag.

Both Ori's are wonderful games which makes this situation extra sad.

Top Bottom