• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori Dev Criticizes Microsoft For Creating “Artificial Barriers”

kyoji

Ori Dev Criticizes Microsoft For Creating “Artificial Barriers”​

By Muhammad Nameer Zia 1 day ago
2 minutes read
Ori-criticize-microsoft1.jpg.webp

In response to an interview of Phil Spencer done by Axios where he discussed Bungie’s departure and mentioned that they could’ve held on to them today, Thomas Mahler, founder of Moon Studios who are responsible for the amazing Ori series, has recently criticized Microsoft for not fully acting on their vision and for creating “artificial barriers”. Mahler has posted on a ResetEra forum where he says he disagrees with Phil Spencer’s statement, saying that, “Microsoft is in this weird ‘between a Rock and a hard place’ position where they’re saying that this is the vision they want to see happening in the future, no artificial walls, no boundaries, but then they’re not necessarily acting accordingly
Ori Dev Microsoft
Thomas Mahler criticizing Microsoft.
When bringing up Bungie’s departure, he talks about his upcoming game while mentioning that, “And I get Bungie- This is also one of the reasons why we decided to make our next game with Private Division instead of Microsoft. We always got so many gamers saying that they love Ori, but hate that they can’t play it on PlayStation. Well why not? Because it was funded by Microsoft hence they call the shots” He also criticizes the exclusive culture in the industry, pointing out PlayStation and Nintendo as being “scared of change” and that they still believe in “walled gardens”
Mahler further talks about an ecosystem where each game is ported to every Platform but mainly highlighting Microsoft due to their vision of a joint eco-system. Microsoft have been delivering on a combined eco-system, through services like Game Pass and their heavy support towards the PC market through Steam. He further mentions that Microsoft should “have the guts” to commit to their vision. He continues, “Make their games and port them to ALL platforms, not leave anyone behind. The 13 year old kid whose parents were able to only afford to buy one system for their child now won’t grow up playing Halo because Microsoft believes that it makes the most financial sense to leave PlayStation players out. How does that benefit anyone but Microsoft?”

Halo Infinite’s Multiplayer Beta has had an incredibly successful launch on both PC and XBOX.
He proceeds to talk about Microsoft creating an artificial barrier for players who can’t afford the systems. Saying that, “Your goal as a platform holder should be that these games play the best on your box, not that you force people to buy your box cause you’re creating an artificial barrier for other players out there who won’t be able to afford the system you’re making.” He ends saying that, “I hope I’ll live long enough to see the industry embracing this kinda openness”
A culture of exclusives has been dormant in the gaming industry for as long as time, whether it be during the Atari days or the early GBA or PS1 days. However, things are slowly starting to change as both PlayStation and Microsoft are investing into the PC market. I think the closest we have to a combined eco-system that has the best of both worlds is the PC space, and while Nintendo still hasn’t put their hands in the pile, who knows what might happen in the future? Expecting Sony to release games on PC was just as much of a pipe dream in the past as is expecting a Nintendo game on anything other than a Nintendo console today. A change is certainly happening, but its one that’s going to take place very slowly.

Whats most interesting is it sounds like moon studios next project will be multiplatform as they opted out of MS publishing.

kyoji

Dude is an idiot. I wish MS never supported him
From the looks of it they wont be next time

Exclusives have always been apart of the industry, i dont have a problem with them. Once upon a time exclusives were used to show off or fully exploit what your platform was capable of and not just for sake of lists. But i have to kind of agree with him you cant make comments like spencer is making and then do something totally different, it just looks silly IMO and as if youre just speaking to media sources for clout. I dont think anyone would ridicule him for keeping exclusives as Nintendo and Sony have there own very successful stuff, So why speak on it at all if youre not walking the walk to match the talk?

Last edited:

Allandor

Well, as a consumer I'm with him. But from the perspective of a publisher with it's own console hardware, I really don't see his problem. Why should a publisher with it's own hardware who pays for the development bring out those game on all other platforms. It is more or less a miracle that they could publish their game for the Switch.

Bridges

I get where the dude is coming from but you got funding to make a first party game, why else would MS have funded the project unless they thought it would benefit them. With that in mind, they still got to release on PC and Switch, so all things considered they reached way more people than they would've with any other first party.

Their games are fantastic so I'll play whatever is next from them regardless of who publishes and where it's released, but this seems kind of unwise to try to call them out on some hypocrisy here.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I get where the dude is coming from but you got funding to make a first party game, why else would MS have funded the project unless they thought it would benefit them. With that in mind, they still got to release on PC and Switch, so all things considered they reached way more people than they would've with any other first party.

Their games are fantastic so I'll play whatever is next from them regardless of who publishes and where it's released, but this seems kind of unwise to try to call them out on some hypocrisy here.
He's playing to an audience.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I guess his argument ultimately boils down into an opinion against exclusives. I'm indifferent. I'm always grateful for the games I can get and accept the ones I can't. And tbh, there are more games than a human lifetime can play, so you will miss out on games regardless.

Also, after seeing how Bungie treats their composers and how Destiny 2 has evolved, I haven't really shed tears for their departure either.

Warablo

It does indeed sound that way, but his comments are spurred off of spencers recent comments about bungie, and his ridiculous everyone plays motto. Makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense, you can play Ori on mobile, PC, Switch or Xbox.

sainraja

Ori Dev Criticizes Microsoft For Creating “Artificial Barriers”​

By Muhammad Nameer Zia 1 day ago
2 minutes read
Ori-criticize-microsoft1.jpg.webp

In response to an interview of Phil Spencer done by Axios where he discussed Bungie’s departure and mentioned that they could’ve held on to them today, Thomas Mahler, founder of Moon Studios who are responsible for the amazing Ori series, has recently criticized Microsoft for not fully acting on their vision and for creating “artificial barriers”. Mahler has posted on a ResetEra forum where he says he disagrees with Phil Spencer’s statement, saying that, “Microsoft is in this weird ‘between a Rock and a hard place’ position where they’re saying that this is the vision they want to see happening in the future, no artificial walls, no boundaries, but then they’re not necessarily acting accordingly
Ori Dev Microsoft
Thomas Mahler criticizing Microsoft.
When bringing up Bungie’s departure, he talks about his upcoming game while mentioning that, “And I get Bungie- This is also one of the reasons why we decided to make our next game with Private Division instead of Microsoft. We always got so many gamers saying that they love Ori, but hate that they can’t play it on PlayStation. Well why not? Because it was funded by Microsoft hence they call the shots” He also criticizes the exclusive culture in the industry, pointing out PlayStation and Nintendo as being “scared of change” and that they still believe in “walled gardens”
Mahler further talks about an ecosystem where each game is ported to every Platform but mainly highlighting Microsoft due to their vision of a joint eco-system. Microsoft have been delivering on a combined eco-system, through services like Game Pass and their heavy support towards the PC market through Steam. He further mentions that Microsoft should “have the guts” to commit to their vision. He continues, “Make their games and port them to ALL platforms, not leave anyone behind. The 13 year old kid whose parents were able to only afford to buy one system for their child now won’t grow up playing Halo because Microsoft believes that it makes the most financial sense to leave PlayStation players out. How does that benefit anyone but Microsoft?”

Halo Infinite’s Multiplayer Beta has had an incredibly successful launch on both PC and XBOX.
He proceeds to talk about Microsoft creating an artificial barrier for players who can’t afford the systems. Saying that, “Your goal as a platform holder should be that these games play the best on your box, not that you force people to buy your box cause you’re creating an artificial barrier for other players out there who won’t be able to afford the system you’re making.” He ends saying that, “I hope I’ll live long enough to see the industry embracing this kinda openness”
A culture of exclusives has been dormant in the gaming industry for as long as time, whether it be during the Atari days or the early GBA or PS1 days. However, things are slowly starting to change as both PlayStation and Microsoft are investing into the PC market. I think the closest we have to a combined eco-system that has the best of both worlds is the PC space, and while Nintendo still hasn’t put their hands in the pile, who knows what might happen in the future? Expecting Sony to release games on PC was just as much of a pipe dream in the past as is expecting a Nintendo game on anything other than a Nintendo console today. A change is certainly happening, but its one that’s going to take place very slowly.

Whats most interesting is it sounds like moon studios next project will be multiplatform as they opted out of MS publishing.
Well, when Phil Spencer initially started speaking about letting people play where they want, I thought it was going to be a different kind of Microsoft — when I shared that, I got attacked by MS fanboys but many of the statements Phil was making kind of suggested this before he backtracked on it.

I think he's got a point. If Microsoft really believes that, they have to lead the way. Sony/Nintendo aren't just going to follow without seeing what it could look like. If they were daring enough to put their content on their own box and others (I mean, they will still be making money), we'd see the "play anywhere" future happen a lot sooner.

Microsoft isn't that kind of company though.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
"I want my games to be multiplatform for the fans"

Sure.... You only want your games to be multiplat because it means more copies sold, which in turn means more money beyond what an exclusivity agreement provides. In the end, Bungie got their wish and they delivered on multiple platforms, but a gimped version of their game on Microsoft consoles due to exclusivity agreements. I love Ori, but if the next game from them is gimped on Xbox while complete on PlayStation, I am just skipping it all together.

Well, when Phil Spencer initially started speaking about letting people play where they want, I thought it was going to be a different kind of Microsoft — when I shared that, I got attacked by MS fanboys but many of the statements Phil was making kind of suggested this before he backtracked on it.

I think he's got a point. If Microsoft really believes that, they have to lead the way. Sony/Nintendo aren't just going to follow without seeing what it could look like. If they were daring enough to put their content on their own box and others (they will still make money), we'd see the "play anywhere" future happen a lot sooner.

Oh but Microsoft is actually trying to do that with XCloud. They'll let you play on all consoles as long as you are paying them for the subscription.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

The 13 year old kid whose parents were able to only afford to buy one system for their child now won’t grow up playing Halo because Microsoft believes that it makes the most financial sense to leave PlayStation players out.
Ah yes, the "poor kid" sympathy card Q_Q... I hope he knows that 13 year old kid doesn't have to "grow up playing halo" or any other game; that's some kind of weird participation trophy entitlement beta shit.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
MS made sure the game was front and center. If people are complaining about a game not being on a platform then by all means, go and purchase the hardware to play it. He better hope the new publisher will stand by them through thick and thin. This is textbook demonstration of how to burn bridges.

kyoji

I think he's got a point. If Microsoft really believes that, they have to lead the way. Sony/Nintendo aren't just going to follow without seeing what it could look like. If they were daring enough to put their content on their own box and others (I mean, they will still be making money), we'd see the "play anywhere" future happen a lot sooner.

Yeah its pretty important to note that Sony/Nintendo arent advocating pubically for this its spencer, its a bad look IMO when you say one thing and do another. Just say nothing. no harm no foul. otherwise you look fake or rather disgenious.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Because they all have beefy PC’s and signed up to Gamepass for 3 years for $1. So there’s no point.
Then stop with the dumb rhetoric of bringing games to platforms other than Xbox for the good of gamers. It's self serving.

Microsoft has been by far the better company when it comes to putting games on multiple platforms. It’s not even close When compared to Nintendo and Sony.
That's missing the point entirely and they only are better when it benefits them which makes their "everyone plays" facade disingenuous.

Last edited:

Warablo

I have no doubt Xbox games would be on those platforms if Game Pass is.

carlosrox

Banned
Don't want any barriers then give me every game you make for free then, thanks!

I remember this guy also alluded to the idea of BOTW being overrated and that his games were superior cuz they were hand built or hand designed or some such nonsense.

Saying stupid shit like that is an artificial barrier cuz it makes me not wanna give your studio money for your games even if I do have an interest in them.

Saying stupid shit like this doesn't help much either.

And I get what he's saying but it'll be a while until exclusives go away, if ever.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
MS made sure the game was front and center. If people are complaining about a game not being on a platform then by all means, go and purchase the hardware to play it. He better hope the new publisher will stand by them through thick and thin. This is textbook demonstration of how to burn bridges.
I know right. MS treated his game as close to AAA as you can with an "indie title" and he comes out with this rubbish.

Lone Wolf

Then stop with the dumb rhetoric of bringing games to platforms other than Xbox for the good of gamers. It's self serving.

That's missing the point entirely and they only are better when it benefits them which makes their "everyone plays" facade disingenuous.
Well it’s not like they will do things that don’t benefit them. They are a for profit business. Still better than the other 2.

Went in to this thinking the guy would have some sort of artistic vision problem with MS. Instead it’s him complaining about exclusivity? Microsoft let them port it to Switch ffs what is this guy’s problem? I’m willing to bet the Switch has more of an audience for cartoony Metroidvanias than the PlayStation, and the Switch is one of the most popular systems so I’m sure those “poor kids with one system” got to play it.

This just comes off as ungrateful. Love the Ori games but this doesn’t leave a good taste in my mouth for their projects to come.

Concern

So what does that say about gaf? because you somehow are able to post here, Ree should consider itself lucky i guess?

What does re have to do with it, its only the outlet he choose to use to comment on.

Pedo sympathizer forum when it suits them, woke retards echochamber, pretty obvious those morons are out of touch with reality.

I mean bitching about taking a publishers money and not being able to release the publisher funded product on the competing hardware is fucking laughable.

Top Bottom