• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Review Thread

WindomURL

This game.

Gorgeous. The music and visuals are revelatory, and the control is nigh perfection.

Niggles— Few too many npcs and “quests.” I prefer the relative solitude of the first. Also, combat can at times be visually confusing due to characters/projectiles being obscured with fx.

Flick

Banned
Can you please give an example?
Btw I meant major Xbox exclusive if that wasn’t clear enough in my post. My bad if it was too vague.

Seriously though; Crackdown, Halo 5, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4&5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse etc... I don’t think any of those made it to 90+
Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah no it wasn’t

I understand Xbots are psyched because it’s the first high scoring “exclusive” in eons (even though the performance is currently shit)

But let’s pump the brakes a bit.

Let’s just discuss it here please:

Hint: MS at #7 and Sony not in Top 20.

And let’s keep discussing strictly Ori in this topic, ok? ☺️
Thanks for not derailing this topic any further.

Well played the game for about 4 hours.
The stuttering on the xbox one x version is not acceptable certain areas are really bad. Auto save is irritating and the sluggish menu is annoying.
When the game runs ok the way you move around the world is super smooth.
The 2d art style is amazing..
BUT so far the environment is way to similar. Either i am not far enough after 4 hours. And i will get other areas later on. Cause right now everything looks the same.

I stopped playing after 4 hours cause it got kinda boring. Same as hollow knight for me.
WIll probably play some more of it at a later time. But i def can't binge a game like this.

WTF? Really? In the first thirty minutes I had so many different areas and enemies. Flying, jumping and crawling enemies.
And the music, so many different great music.

Don’t know why this didn’t happen to you? Weird.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

And let’s keep discussing strictly Ori in this topic, ok? ☺

WTF? Really? In the first thirty minutes I had so many different areas and enemies. Flying, jumping and crawling enemies.
And the music, so many different great music.

Don’t know why this didn’t happen to you? Weird.
Play some more ;)

ethomaz

Banned

And let’s keep discussing strictly Ori in this topic, ok? ☺
Why quote people if you are wrong?
You were the one to derailing the thread to begin with lol

Arun1910

Excited for this. Never played the first but when I saw the reveal it just looked like a beautiful game.

I keep getting charged just £1 for Gamepass on PC (for about 6 months now) so i'll be playing this whenever it's available.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The stuttering on the xbox one x version is not acceptable certain areas are really bad. Auto save is irritating and the sluggish menu is annoying.

That is odd. I just came off a session and noticed no stutters whatsoever, everything silky smooth, and the map is not even as slow as reported. Maybe I'm not far enough into the game? Is it because I run it from a SSD?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That is odd. I just came off a session and noticed no stutters whatsoever, everything silky smooth, and the map is not even as slow as reported. Maybe I'm not far enough into the game? Is it because I run it from a SSD?
get's way worse later but i had some pretty annoying stuttering in certain areas
map loading is so random sometimes it's instant sometimes is slow

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Got PC Game Pass?
Don't even own a PC. Lol
I doubt my sons laptop could run it. Never thought about GamePass. 🤔

Edit:

You just made me realize that maybe I could invest in a PC at some point so I can finally play Total War: Warhammer, Guild Wars 2 and then get GamePass to play Ori and Hellblade 2.🤔

Last edited:
Game pass stays winning.

Never played the first. Is it worth checking out before diving into this?

Edit: just seen the above response! Guess I'll have a crack at this.

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
I've only played like an hour or so so far. Gotta say I'm kind of disappointed at the performance. Playing on a One S there's been a bunch of hitches in framerate and the map loads super slowly. Hope it gets evened out with a patch because the first one was smooth 30fps and 1080p (I think; maybe it was 900p), but this isn't and it shows. It looks fuzzier at points and I can tell it's scaling to below 900p. The scaling is something I can deal with as long as the framerate gets fixed.

That being said everything else about it is great.

Sacred

Played for about 4 hours, plays buttery smooth on the X. Unbelievably beautiful graphics, great story, challenging gameplay. Can't ask for more from a sequel to my favorite side scroller since Metroid.

Tiamat2san

game is pretty hard played about 1 hour.

game has framerate drops ALL over the place on the X

oh and the map loads slow ( BIG NO NO IN metroidvania games)
weird thing is .. sometimes it's super fast sometimes it's slow pretty random
oh and every time when you load the map you have to zoom in again.
Guess I’ll wait a little for another patch then.

Shakka43

Sucks about the performance issues on console, the PC version runs pretty much perfectly though so if anyone has the option for both, PC is the way to get it for now.

yes if i remember well, but it's still a relatively low budget title in a niche genre and from a relatively small studio.
if not indie, AA tier tops.
Wait so 2d platformer/metroidvania games are a niche genre? They're basically the backbone of all gaming. That would mean Mario games for Nintendo are now a niche genre... Also unless you know exactly how much funding actually went into the game you can't really claim low budget. I need some receipts.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Wait so 2d platformer/metroidvania games are a niche genre? They're basically the backbone of all gaming. That would mean Mario games for Nintendo are now a niche genre... Also unless you know exactly how much finding actually went into the game you can't really claim low budget. I need some receipts.
well this one is more of a metroidvania platformer than a traditional metroidvania (i buy basically every metroidvania game but with this one i'm torn for example because i don't really like platform games) but i get your point.
i don't really know the budget but it's probably considerably lower than microsoft games like gears5 or the forza brand, maybe not indie budget but more like AA budget.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Ori and the Will of the Wisps Topped 400,000 Unique Players Opening Day.

By
thomas mahler (Game Director at Moon Studios).

Last edited:

Freeman76

Its a wonderful game but brings my mood down like no other game I've experienced. The guys who made this are very talented even if one of them ive seen on forums comes across as extremely arrogant.

Brilliant but miserable is how I would describe this so far lol

Psos

Neo Member
This game just looks gorgeous. I don't like Metroidvania games, but I'll play this just for the visuals.

Top Bottom