• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Review Thread

Mista

Banned
ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-1.jpg

IGN: 9/10
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is an excellent return to this bright and beautiful open-world platformer, with an affecting story to bolster the white-knuckle challenge.

Game Informer: 9.5/10
Better than its predecessor and a little longer, Will of the Wisps pounds out excitement at every turn

Destructoid: 9.5/10
With the need to go bigger, Ori and the Will of the Wisps loses some of the simplicity and innocence of the original game, but it steps up in turn with bite and refinement. It's the perfect companion to Ori and the Blind Forest, and is an early defining moment of the decade to come.

Gamesradar+: 4.5/5
A gorgeous, tear-jerking platformer which improves on absolutely everything in the first game and ranks among the finest Metroidvanias available today.

God is a Geek: 9/10
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a fantastic sequel. It builds on the original with a few new ideas to deliver a complete experience.

ACG (@Karak): Buy

GamingBolt: 10/10
With Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Moon Studios have realized the full potential of their debut title, and entered the upper echelons of Metroidvania history.

Press Start: 9/10
While Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a sequel that'll challenge your resolve and temper your spirit at times, its final act will fill your heart and have it bursting with joie de vivre.

EGM: 4/5
Ori and the Will of the Wisps does everything that a good sequel is supposed to do. It refines The Blind Forest's mechanics, expands on the world, and throws in a whole bunch of new moves and concepts. But in an era that's rich with "emotional platformers," Will of the Wisps doesn't do anything to make itself stand out. It's a fine, if not forgettable, experience.

PC Gamer: 81/100
It's inconsistent and sometimes annoying, but ultimately a charming, challenging, heart-string-pulling fable.

VGC: 5/5
A gorgeous platformer that builds on the original without ruining what made it so special. If you have Game Pass, there’s no reason not to play this.

OpenCritic:

E6E4Okv.png

MetaCritic:

FkNulrI.png

Last edited:

splattered

Awesome! I have 3 years of Gamepass but still preordered this one after getting Gamepass. After I finish up Pillars of Eternity 2 (love it, bugs and all) I may circle around to this. Looking forward to it!

GriffinCorp

Man, I'm so excited to play this. I was late to the game for the first game and after playing it. It's one of my favorite Xbox One games released this generation. The visuals, colors pop with an incredible soundtrack. So much hype for the second one and the reviews are looking great. I have started skipping reviews until after I have played the game. I don't want to get sidetracked with details, just want to enjoy games like I did when I was younger.

Vawn

Banned
That's looking really good. I liked the first one, only having a few issues with combat and slippery controls at certain platforming portions. This looks like it should be well improved.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Great, will play as soon as it would available.
Not AAA enough, need more cutscenes and 3rd person view (well, it's kind of has that)

It's really funny the amount of Xbox fans I've seen criticizing anyone who gave this game a 8/10 or 9/10 due to technical issues. Claiming that they were fixed in a day 1 patch and their review should've held off to account for that. Funny that those same people had no issues bashing Days Gone last year for the same reason. Maybe the game should've been fixed before it was sent to reviewers then. You can't blame someone for having issues all week and for putting their review up a couple hours after the patch drops. Plus I'm hearing people are still having issues even with the patch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's really funny the amount of Xbox fans I've seen criticizing anyone who gave this game a 8/10 or 9/10 due to technical issues. Claiming that they were fixed in a day 1 patch and their review should've held off to account for that. Funny that those same people had no issues bashing Days Gone last year for the same reason. Maybe the game should've been fixed before it was sent to reviewers then. You can't blame someone for having issues all week and for putting their review up a couple hours after the patch drops. Plus I'm hearing people are still having issues even with the patch.

Maybe Ori doesn’t bind someone to a brand? Or does it? I have no idea what went through their heads with Days Gone. It all sounds like simple, beautiful games get a lot of praise.

Hats off to the developers. Great scores!

Maybe Ori doesn’t bind someone to a brand? Or does it? I have no idea what went through their heads with Days Gone. It all sounds like simple, beautiful games get a lot of praise.

Hats off to the developers. Great scores!
Well Ori is an Xbox game. A lot of Xbox fans claimed that Sony should've gotten the patches for Days Gone out sooner to developers if they wanted it factored into reviews. Yet those same fans are now acting like reviews for Ori 2 should've accounted for the Day 1 patch that dropped a few hours ago. It's just funny to see the same people defend something they were criticizing when it comes to a game on their platform.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Looking forward to trying this. I never got into the first one because it almost made me cry somewhere at the very start so I was saving it for "later" but I really should go back to it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's just funny to see the same people defend something they were criticizing when it comes to a game on their platform.

Those people belong to all platforms and it happens every time a game releases and is less than perfect. Let's not turn this thread into console war cancer 18 posts in, and just celebrate the game, yeah?

GHG

Gold Member
Looking forward to playing this. Will probably have to wait till the weekend though :(

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Those people belong to all platforms and it happens every time a game releases and is less than perfect. Let's not turn this thread into console war cancer 18 posts in, and just celebrate the game, yeah?
well said

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Well Ori is an Xbox game. A lot of Xbox fans claimed that Sony should've gotten the patches for Days Gone out sooner to developers if they wanted it factored into reviews. Yet those same fans are now acting like reviews for Ori 2 should've accounted for the Day 1 patch that dropped a few hours ago. It's just funny to see the same people defend something they were criticizing when it comes to a game on their platform.

Go away troll, can you please not stink up another positive Xbox thread with your Sony console warz? I'm sorry an Xbox game outscored some of your holy Sony games, but please move on, besides I don't see anyone in thread crying about the scores for Ori except you.

Back on topic - these are great scores and exactly what I expected. I've got it downloaded from Game Pass & ready to go. Do you guys think there will eventually be a physical release for this game? I'd like to own a physical copy of this game, it's a treasure.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Great scores! I still remember that water set piece in the 1st game and how good it felt to beat it

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Great reviews. I was getting ready to pick this up today and was wondering why I wasn’t charged yet. Then I saw it’s a weird Wednesday release.

Flick

Banned
Not AAA enough, need more cutscenes and 3rd person view (well, it's kind of has that)

What? Really? I disagree. No way this can get more AAA for a 2D game.
I don’t think there is another 2D game that looks so beautiful like this. There are so many DETAILS. It’s incredible.
looks amazing on my 4K LG OLED with one X

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What? Really? I disagree. No way this can get more AAA for a 2D game.
I don’t think there is another 2D game that looks so beautiful like this. There are so many DETAILS. It’s incredible.
looks amazing on my 4K LG OLED with one X
It was a joke....

SpartanN92

Banned
there are Tons more though. So no, it’s not the first non-forza title.

Can you please give an example?
Btw I meant major Xbox exclusive if that wasn’t clear enough in my post. My bad if it was too vague.

Seriously though; Crackdown, Halo 5, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4&5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse etc... I don’t think any of those made it to 90+
Correct me if I am wrong.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
game is pretty hard played about 1 hour.

game has framerate drops ALL over the place on the X

oh and the map loads slow ( BIG NO NO IN metroidvania games)
weird thing is .. sometimes it's super fast sometimes it's slow pretty random
oh and every time when you load the map you have to zoom in again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom