• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps |OT| Obey The Owl

PanzerAzel

Another annoyance was having to constantly check the map to see where I was.
Play without it. It's a hassle at first, but the layout honestly isn't that difficult to recall and the game becomes much more enjoyable to play, especially because you don't have to break the pace of such enjoyable traversal mechanics to constantly see where you're going.

Exentryk

Update from the Lead Engineer at Moon Studious about the patch:

GennadiyKorol ~ Lead Engineer at Moon Studios

Hey guys,

We're working on the patch as hard as we can but unfortunately the COVID situation isn't helping us in speeding things up. Here's hoping that the patch lands very soon this week on all platforms. The patch is going to be rather beefy and have a lot of great fixes (audio issues, achievements, progression blockers, etc) and performance improvements but I wanted to share a few things that were specifically asked on these boards.

We have added exclusive full screen mode for PC to hopefully avoid any potential stutter due to G-sync, dual monitor and other setups. We're also looking into better DX chain-swap methods that might make borderless-windowed full screen better (for those that might have had stutter issues on their setups) in a later patch with PC HDR support.

7trRJ18.png

Motion blur can now be reduced or exaggerated as a percentage for those that like a nice in-between or want to have more of it.
We are also adding static resolution scaling that allows running the game at lower than native resolution for better performance, or higher resolution for super-sampling and sharper image quality if your machine can handle it on PC.
We will probably expose dynamic resolution scaling on PC in the next patch with a target framerate property to allow for less framerate variance for those cases where you are GPU bound (is is most likely the main bottleneck on PCs).

OWE4FIf.png

We are also adding the ability to fully hide the in game HUD or make it dynamic, which will automatically hide the UI after a few seconds if your energy/health values have not changed, which is probably best for those that like to play the game without the HUD but do not want to go into the options to toggle it on and off all the time. This will work and be the same on PC and console versions of the game.

PHmDGMV.png

Controller vibration is now also a % allowing you to tone it down or exaggerate to your liking, so you don't have to settle for having it full power or none at all :)

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Story question:
Do they ever explain how Shriek turns creatures to stone?
Did I just miss that?

Exentryk

Finished the game 100% on Hard. Thoughts below:

Pros:
  • Graphics & Art-style
  • Music
  • Movement and Traversal
  • Combat
  • Story
  • Performance (Smooth 4K 60 fps on Steam without any issues)
  • Controls
Cons:
  • Quality of Life
    • Only 3 shortcut abilities felt quite low, and I kept changing abilities all the time. Perhaps should have used something like Lt + XYB for another 3 ability shortcuts.
    • The map when opened up was zoomed way out, and I always had to zoom in. Perhaps the default should have been zoomed in?
    • No Dynamic HUD or Hide HUD option (Glad it's coming in a patch)
    • Traversal and other useful abilities like Triple Jump, Sticky and Magnet should perhaps be auto-abilities and not shards. This becomes an issue when you have boss fights which include a mix of escape and boss battle, as you have to keep switching your build mid encounter. Perhaps consider adding "Shard Sets" that you can save and switch between quickly?
    • Boss names should be included on screen while fighting bosses alongside their health bar.
    • While the escape sequences didn't bother me (I appreciated they being shorter in this game), perhaps consider adding "skip sequence" for people that don't want to deal with the trial and error? I know this is a sour point for some people and having that option would only help.
Overall, I LOVED the game. It was everything I wanted from the sequel and more. The greater narrative focus, more RPGness (shards/weapons/skills/quests), and improved combat made this game absolutely addictive. I think the movement in this is even better than the first game. It feels so good to control Ori; dashing, bashing, grappling and launching all combine together to form pure satisfaction in your hands. Ori's movement is truly the gold standard in a 2D game. I can't praise it enough (the only thing I'd mention is perhaps reconsider how burrowing works as not having a way to stop in the sand makes it feel out of control). The quests in the game were nice and simple. I really liked "A Family Reunion" quest. Also, the music in this series is just exceptional. Gareth Coker is a treasure and I hope he continues to do music for more and more games.

In terms of the story, it was touching. The ending took me by surprise though.
I was expecting a happy ending, but wow it was quite different. Leaving Shriek to suffer seemed harsh, and Ori dying to become the tree was quite sad. Watching Ku leaving her "nest" and then later seeing Naru and Gumo die of old age next to the tree was emotional.
Overall, it wasn't the ending I was expecting at all, but it did have an emotional impact, and it was great none the less.

So, what's next now? How do I think this game could be improved? What do I want more from the next Ori game if there is one?

Well, I'd love even more RPGness. A lot more shards and abilities that can turn into broken builds. Perhaps consider adding a Shield like ability (similar to Quen in Witcher 3), and more potential to increase damage of auto-damage dealing abilities like Sentry? Add various element abilities like fire, ice, rock, air, etc.? I mean it feels so good to control Ori that it would amazing to have a lot of cool abilities so you feel like a God destroying everything!
Other than that, I'd love more of the same really.

Anyway, this game is a 10/10 for me. Congratulations Moon Studios, and thank you for making one of my favourite games ever! It's my GOTY so far. Keep slaying!

Below are some stats from my playthrough. The hours are deceiving as I have a habit of leaving the game running while I do other stuff.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm enjoying the game a whole lot but I've found what I think is a gamebreaking bug :( I found Ku after the chase sequence and progressed to where Krag'wa Kwolok tells you about the wisps and were to go to get them. But then I logged out and when I log back in, the game is still telling me to "Find Ku", I no longer have the feather and there's no way in hell I can get to where I originally found Ku.

Anyone had this issue? I really don't want to restart after 5h and I'm really enjoying this game

PanzerAzel

Hey guys I'm enjoying the game a whole lot but I've found what I think is a gamebreaking bug :( I found Ku after the chase sequence and progressed to where Krag'wa Kwolok tells you about the wisps and were to go to get them. But then I logged out and when I log back in, the game is still telling me to "Find Ku", I no longer have the feather and there's no way in hell I can get to where I originally found Ku.

Anyone had this issue? I really don't want to restart after 5h and I'm really enjoying this game
The game keeps a bunch of backup saves. On your save file screen, press "continue", then "back up" and it should allow you to revert to an earlier state by increments. Don't know if you've already tried that and it doesn't help, but it's a way to revert to an earlier state.

The game keeps a bunch of backup saves. On your save file screen, press "continue", then "back up" and it should allow you to revert to an earlier state by increments. Don't know if you've already tried that and it doesn't help, but it's a way to revert to an earlier state.

Yeah i think I'm boned, the game autosaves with every teleport and I've moved all about trying to find a solution. The backup save menu only keeps like 10 backups so all of them are from the last five minutes

Hope this gets a patch, I've checked Steam and Reddit and seems to be a known issue

GHG

Gold Member

Someone else had this issue earlier in the thread. Might be worth reporting the bug to moon studios in case somebody else hasn't.

A new patch should be dropping in the next few days BTW so I'd hold off restarting until then.

At 60% complete now. I’m really enjoying the game. I’m too far removed from the first to do a fair comparison, but very similar. While I wish they fixed the slow down and freezing issues, it is tolerable. I will definitely 100% as I did the first one, which is pretty rare for me.

95% complete, finished the main game. Working on 100%. Quite a fantastic game. Despite some performance issues, well worth playing. An absolute must play if you are into this type of game(Metroid, Castlevania, etc.).

Vawn

Banned
Any word on a patch? Such a great game that is borderline unplayable at times because of performance issues.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Patch hit today. Game is acting really funny for me. Frame rate seems worse and the load times are insane.

Maybe my game is bugged?

GHG

Gold Member
Did the patch fix the achievements they didn't show without having to replay the game?

Bartski

Gold Member
It did, my missing "Powerful" appeared after loading the save.
Frame rate seems worse and the load times are insane.
strange, everything else seems perfectly fine on my system, no audio glitches, looks and runs just great. Haven't tested much aside from beating the final boss, they also fixed Ori's animation falling apart at the ending sequence

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It did, my missing "Powerful" appeared after loading the save.

strange, everything else seems perfectly fine on my system, no audio glitches, looks and runs just great. Haven't tested much aside from beating the final boss, they also fixed Ori's animation falling apart at the ending sequence

I'm downloading other patches, maybe it's making my system do odd things. I'll give it a reboot when it's done and see what happens.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Doing a reboot fixed some of the weird issues I was having but the performance is still not great. It's better but it's still not solid by any means.

I'll try out PC to see if I can get it better than on my Gsync monitor. But I'll miss the HDR 😭

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just started playing this last night - really liking it so far!

Question though - the save points in this game seem really poorly spaced. Does the game like autosave in the background or something? So far I played for two hours and encountered two save points, which were about 45 minutes apart from each other. I doubt I'll be able to commit to this game fully if that situation doesn't improve, because I don't want to play for 30 minutes then have something come up, then lose my progress.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just started playing this last night - really liking it so far!

Question though - the save points in this game seem really poorly spaced. Does the game like autosave in the background or something? So far I played for two hours and encountered two save points, which were about 45 minutes apart from each other. I doubt I'll be able to commit to this game fully if that situation doesn't improve, because I don't want to play for 30 minutes then have something come up, then lose my progress.

There's quick saves.when you die and respawn that's your last quick save but it saves a lot.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There's quick saves.when you die and respawn that's your last quick save but it saves a lot.
Cool thanks. I'll have to test this out then - I died a few times and respawned without losing much progress, just wanted to make sure those "quick saves" would actually load back up if I have to shut the game down and come back to it later (on PC).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Cool thanks. I'll have to test this out then - I died a few times and respawned without losing much progress, just wanted to make sure those "quick saves" would actually load back up if I have to shut the game down and come back to it later (on PC).

Yeah I never had an issue. It's not like the first game where you always have to manually save.

RPS37

So this has become my designated Series X launch game.
I’m a couple hours in.
Already got stuck on a simple jumping puzzle and had to do a YouTube search.
That being said, this swinging hammer attack thing is very satisfying.
Gonna try to focus on this as my main go to single player Xbox game.

cormack12

Gold Member
Got 3/4 wisps now, just got the darkness to descend into. There is some jank in there - I find the sand controls a bit garbage considering the gymnastics you hav to pull off. But truly excellent game - way more fun than Super Mario 3D world and Super Mario Odyssey to me. It's inspired me to maybe check out Hollow Knight next as well as I believe it is similar. There's still a long way to go in this game though I fear!!

Woopah

Got 3/4 wisps now, just got the darkness to descend into. There is some jank in there - I find the sand controls a bit garbage considering the gymnastics you hav to pull off. But truly excellent game - way more fun than Super Mario 3D world and Super Mario Odyssey to me. It's inspired me to maybe check out Hollow Knight next as well as I believe it is similar. There's still a long way to go in this game though I fear!!
Both Ori titles and Hollowknight are three of my favourite games this generation. You're in for a fun finale.

Top Bottom