• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps |OT| Obey The Owl

dok1or

That damn spider is killing my will to play, i've been stuck for 1 hour.... seeing some videos i think i lost something along the way... i don't have many hp and have only 3 ability slot... maybe it's time i search the map better...

Only 3?
This is me, in Silen Woods...

GHG

Gold Member
Do the combat challenges to increase your ability shard slots. They can make a big difference to the boss battles, especially once you upgrade them.

GHG

Gold Member
Damn i have lost something for sure... Need to read a guide on base game mechanic... I probably wasn't paying attention when the game explained it

If you're not exploring the map and doing the challenges scattered around then you'll be making it more difficult for yourself than it needs to be.

dok1or

Damn i have lost something for sure... Need to read a guide on base game mechanic... I probably wasn't paying attention when the game explained it

Have you palyed first one? Probably not, because its the same mechanic; explore to get stronger! In this one is even more important!

Reactions: GHG
I think I have an issue with this game, or perhaps don’t know how to use an ability. Spoiler ahead:

Ive found Ku, gone through the cutscenes/death, and was awarded his feather. I have, and can equip, the feather. However, the ability to glide and ride wind doesn’t seem to work. I thought it was RT. I’m now stuck in the game. Any tips on what to do? How to use the ability, or check that the game isn’t glitched and I do have the ability?

GHG

Gold Member
I think I have an issue with this game, or perhaps don’t know how to use an ability. Spoiler ahead:

Ive found Ku, gone through the cutscenes/death, and was awarded his feather. I have, and can equip, the feather. However, the ability to glide and ride wind doesn’t seem to work. I thought it was RT. I’m now stuck in the game. Any tips on what to do? How to use the ability, or check that the game isn’t glitched and I do have the ability?

Yeh it should be RT when in the air or under wind currents.

Do you also have the feather ability where you can create a gust of wind (I forget what it's called). Check by pressing LT and see if you can select that ability. If you have that then you have the feather.

Yeh it should be RT when in the air or under wind currents.

Do you also have the feather ability where you can create a gust of wind (I forget what it's called). Check by pressing LT and see if you can select that ability. If you have that then you have the feather.

The ability is there, but that also doesn’t work. It turns out there are “backup” saves that are there to help mitigate these issues. All of my backup saves (10) where spread out over the last minute I played the game. So they are useless. I have to start the whole game over again.

• Triggered

GHG

Gold Member
The ability is there, but that also doesn’t work. It turns out there are “backup” saves that are there to help mitigate these issues. All of my backup saves (10) where spread out over the last minute I played the game. So they are useless. I have to start the whole game over again.

Fuck, that sucks.

The saving grace is that you are early on in the game and all the cut scenes are skippable via the pause menu.

I finished the game 100% on hard and didn't get any achievements unlocking for doing so. Minor in the grand scheme of things but still annoying.

The game needed a couple more months of polish.

Fuck, that sucks.

The saving grace is that you are early on in the game and all the cut scenes are skippable via the pause menu.

I finished the game 100% on hard and didn't get any achievements unlocking for doing so. Minor in the grand scheme of things but still annoying.

The game needed a couple more months of polish.
True, not that far. The game is also quite fun and great to look at. I’ll enjoy it all again:).

draliko

Just completed the game... damn what can i say... simply beautiful, a rare gem. Some weird difficulty spikes (at least for me) but enjoyable and fair. Moving but simple story, outstanding art direction. If it wasn't for gamepass i would probably have missed it, but i'm so glad i didi (started from the first a couple months ago). Really a nice little gem of a game. Lovable.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Maybe because Triple Jump is mostly a nicety and not really needed for progression?

----

That it’s not necessary doesn’t make sense that it needs a slot to work. Both triple jump and magnet should be automatically enabled and not be shards. They’re not needed for progression, but they mine as well be as everyone will always use them.

Last edited:

Exentryk

You can make this jump in Luma Pools and sequence break, i.e., meet Kwolok here in Luma Pools before meeting him a second time in his first location. I didn't actually go through with it coz I didn't want the game to bug out/miss out on some stuff, but it's an option.

Exentryk

That it’s not necessary doesn’t make sense that it needs a slot to work. Both triple jump and magnet should be automatically enabled and not be shards. They’re not needed for progression, but they mine as well be as everyone will always use them.
Well, that's where the strategical aspect of shards comes in. You don't really need magnet or perhaps triple jump in a boss fight. So it gives some player agency in that aspect. And it makes people think even during exploration, like do you want convenient and easy traversal, or would you rather focus on damage?

PanzerAzel

Well, that's where the strategical aspect of shards comes in. You don't really need magnet or perhaps triple jump in a boss fight. So it gives some player agency in that aspect. And it makes people think even during exploration, like do you want convenient and easy traversal, or would you rather focus on damage?
Sure, but traversal and money aren’t strategic. They are, as you say, conveniences, and should be relegated to as much automatically upon their procurement.

Their inclusion to defaults wouldn’t impact strategic considerations about whether to enable a shard that would give you, say, one extra vitality, or one spirit, or transfer life overflow into spirit, or reduce/increase damage. It’s nothing but an inconvenience to have to equip them. Dash doesn’t require it, nor does bash, nor does grapple. It’s just a curious design choice.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I use neither.

Exentryk

Sure, but traversal and money aren’t strategic. They are, as you say, conveniences, and should be relegated to as much automatically upon their procurement.
It is a strategic consideration to go for more money drops or more damage or easier traversal. I mean all these things affect your gameplay in different ways. The other abilities that we get for free like bash, dash, etc., are necessary upgrades required to progress. Triple Jump and others aren't.

I understand your point that any convenience should be auto enabled, but I can also see the value in not having it as such. See comment above of the person that doesn't find these necessary either.

PanzerAzel

It is a strategic consideration to go for more money drops or more damage or easier traversal. I mean all these things affect your gameplay in different ways. The other abilities that we get for free like bash, dash, etc., are necessary upgrades required to progress. Triple Jump and others aren't.

I understand your point that any convenience should be auto enabled, but I can also see the value in not having it as such. See comment above of the person that doesn't find these necessary either.
Again, that they aren’t necessary to progress is aside the point. Shard slots are limited. Triple jump and magnet are very handy to have, but they’re not nearly important enough to warrant two whole slots for their utilization above far more relevant shard bonuses which could be used to make better, more interesting builds for not just bosses, but throughout the entire game. I struggle to see any value in it. It was the same shit with Hollow Knight with Gathering Swarm and the Compass.

Triple jump and Magnet add absolutely nothing to a build strategically, they only work to preclude a better one for mere conveniences. That he doesn’t use them isn’t because they’re not useful, it’s because, compared to what he could do, they’re wasteful.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Triple jump and magnet are very handy to have, but not so much as to warrant slot usage. They add absolutely nothing to a build strategically, they only work to preclude a better one for mere conveniences. That he doesn’t use them isn’t because they’re not useful, it’s because, compared to what he could do, they’re wasteful.
That's not right. Both Triple Jump and Magnet have value in combat.

For example, having triple jump means you can stay airborne longer and move farther. This can help avoid ground attacks easily, or attack the enemy from above continuously. Similarly, enemies drop energy cells and health cells during the fights, and it is a consideration if you want to absorb these automatically, or rather risk walking up to them manually and prioritize damage more.

I do agree with the Compass decision in Hollow Knight was bad though. It was a different context there as that game was more tedious.

While I am normally a proponent of more conveniences in games, this aspect in Ori Will of the Wisps doesn't bother me as much. If they made triple jump and magnet auto-enabled, I'd be fine with that too. I'd actually prefer it to be really honest, coz it'd give me more build options.

-Troid-

Banned
While they're getting a performance patch ready they really ought to
add a checkpoint to the Tremor chase sequence. It goes on way too long and restarting it from the beginning is bullshit. Gonna take a break and go back to DOOM before I get too pissed off.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

While they're getting a performance patch ready they really ought to
add a checkpoint to the Tremor chase sequence. It goes on way too long and restarting it from the beginning is bullshit. Gonna take a break and go back to DOOM before I get too pissed off.
Agreed, but doubt that will happen as this isn't the first time people have complained about those sequences and if they haven't done it by now, I doubt they will. That one is a pain in the ass for sure, my first time I must've died fifty times. Been able to clear it on only a few on subsequent playthroughs though so it does get easier the more you do it.

Last edited:

Exentryk

I recall these aerial enemies being annoying at the start of the game. And now they are dying like mosquitoes. Love the progress and feeling of growth!

Last edited:

AntsaK2

Neo Member
Agreed, but doubt that will happen as this isn't the first time people have complained about those sequences and if they haven't done it by now, I doubt they will. That one is a pain in the ass for sure, my first time I must've died fifty times. Been able to clear it on only a few on subsequent playthroughs though so it does get easier the more you do it.

I am with you guys. For me, everything else was more or less balanced but this nearly cost me my marriage and sanity.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Beat it this morning, just over 14 hours for 100% but I wouldn't call that rushing at all, you could shave a lot of time off.

Maybe a little too easy for me personally, I don't feel like anything except the time trials were real challenges, and even with those, half weren't bad. I also had constant issues with the X1X version which was a shame, but if I played for long sessions I could mostly get around them.

Really, really enjoyed my time with it, everything I wanted from Ori 2. Excited to see what the studio does next since it feels like they don't need another one of these at all.

PanzerAzel

Playing this without referring to the map is a lot more enjoyable. I'm memorizing the layout and it's great to not have to constantly interrupt the pacing and flow of traversal.

Last edited:

Exentryk

I fought the boss in Mouldwood, and it annoyed me to have to switch my build from traversal to boss. Need to have an option to save builds.

VAL0R

Banned
You can press pause and "Abandon Challange" and come back to that section later too.

VAL0R

Banned
I fought the boss in Mouldwood, and it annoyed me to have to switch my build from traversal to boss. Need to have an option to save builds.
Need to have the option to bind skills to the d-pad and analog clicks. What were they thinking leaving this out?

PanzerAzel

You can press pause and "Abandon Challange" and come back to that section later too.
With these games, I think it'd behoove Moon to consider a "skip challenge" option for players who really are not good at platformers. I don't know what it's like on easy as I haven't tried it yet and don't intend to, but the Ori games are amongst those that hold appeal to those not very interested or proficient in the particular genre (or even gaming in general). It'd be a nice option to include a skip option, even if after so many attempts. That worm chase had me tossing my controller a few times.

Pejo

So i beat the game, I just have to go farm a shitload of spirit to upgrade abilities/shards, just a few thoughts:

The hardest parts for me personally were the frog boss and the sandworm escape sequence. I was really disappointed in the overall length, number, and difficulty of most of the escape sequences. Two of them I beat on the first try, and I beat the spider without even taking much damage. Even the final boss, I didn't die until the ground drops out and the feathers are the only way to stay alive.

Ability shards were mostly useless. I equipped the QoL ones and never changed them. Stuff like triple jump, better bash, jumping grapple, etc. Sticky and magnet were on the entire time I played, I agree with posters above that these shouldn't have taken a slot to begin with.

The earth drill and grapple were so damn touchy when they wanted to work. This is one of the things that made the sandworm escape so frustrating. I really hope the performance patch effects this, as I died way too many times rubbing up against sand jamming on RB only to do a side dash and not a drill move.

Combat was kinda frustrating, but maybe that's because I mained the hammer instead of the sword/bow like I'm seeing a lot in speedruns/game vids. I just loved the impact behind it and especially stunning bosses mid-fight. The reach was misleading, and I almost felt like (at least with the frog boss) I was getting input read how the fucking would inch backwards juuuust enough to avoid getting hit. Once I got the light ability, I switched to it and sword and had an easier time overall with fodder enemies.

I encountered so many glitches, one that even ruined the ending by having the characters bounce randomly around on the screen (playing on PC). I even had a few beneficial ones where I could, for instance, break a wall from the opposite side that you're supposed to be able to. Lots of physics based glitches too, where platforms just take off into outer space, etc.

Otherwise, this was definitely the best game of the year so far for me. Just enough challenge, exploration, and usually tight gameplay that made me love the first one. I think overall I still prefer the definitive edition of the first game to this one, though.

Exentryk

Need to have the option to bind skills to the d-pad and analog clicks. What were they thinking leaving this out?
Dpad isn't a good option for mapping skills, because you have to release your left stick to be able to use it. I'm glad they didn't do that. But, it would have been good if we had more shortcut skills. Perhaps something like Lt+ XYB for another set of three skills? Assigning the abilities could be done via Lt+Rt to open the radial menu and assign from there.

Anyway, I'm sure devs will think about it in the future.

VAL0R

Banned
Dpad isn't a good option for mapping skills, because you have to release your left stick to be able to use it. I'm glad they didn't do that. But, it would have been good if we had more shortcut skills. Perhaps something like Lt+ XYB for another set of three skills? Assigning the abilities could be done via Lt+Rt to open the radial menu and assign from there.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I don't mean you would use the abilities with the d-pad, but select them.

Picture this set-up.
Your favorite 2 abilities are (hypothetically)...
X - Use Sword
Y - Use Bow
Then the 3rd ability is broken down as follows (just some possible examples):
B - Use 3rd ability
(Hold) B - heals
D-pad up - swaps 3rd ability to fire
D-pad down - swaps 3rd ability to hammer
D-pad left - swaps 3rd ability to sentry
D-pad right - swaps 3rd ability to spear
Click right thumbstick - swaps 3rd ability to blaze
Click left thumbstick - swaps 3rd ability to spirit star
Click both thumbsticks - activates light cloud around Ori

In this way you could hot-swap to whatever ability you wanted for the 3rd button on the fly without pausing the action and going to a selection wheel the breaks up the flow and the action. I thought it was really disappointing that when I was fighting bosses I had to constantly switch between hammer and healing with the pause weapon wheel. Ori 1 was a much smoother experience in this regard.

Edit:

And obviously you would just time your swap to when you were jumping or in some other animation or whatever. You could always use the default wheel and pause the game if you really wanted to.

Last edited:

Exentryk

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I don't mean you would use the abilities with the d-pad, but select them.

Picture this set-up.
Your favorite 2 abilities are
X - Use Sword
Y - Use Bow
Then the 3rd ability is broken down as follows (just some possible examples):
B - Use 3rd ability
(Hold) B - heals
D-pad up - swaps 3rd ability to fire
D-pad down - swaps 3rd ability to hammer
D-pad left - swaps 3rd ability to sentry
D-pad right - swaps 3rd ability to spear
Click right thumbstick - swaps 3rd ability to blaze
Click left thumbstick - swaps 3rd ability to spirit star
Click both thumbsticks - activates light cloud around Ori

In this way you could hot-swap to whatever ability you wanted for the 3rd button on the fly without pausing the action and going to a selection wheel the breaks up the flow and the action. I thought it was really disappointing that when I was fighting bosses I had to constantly switch between hammer and healing with the pause weapon wheel. Ori 1 was a much smoother experience in this regard.

Edit:

And obviously you would just time your swap to when you were jumping or in some other animation or whatever. You could always use the default wheel and pause the game if you really wanted to.
That's not a bad idea actually. Actually, you can just bind completely new ability sets for each dpad press. Like pressing Up switches to set B, which could be the same as set A without only B ability changed around, or it could be all three new abilities. Hell, it would work even better with Stick clicks as you won't have to lift your hand from the stick to press the dpad.

+1.

VAL0R

Banned
I am trying to 100% this on hard now and wow, the performance is garbage. I can't believe the frame rates I am getting. Sub 10 and lingering. The main "hub/market" area is abysmal. The game goes as low as 1-5 frames here at times. I cleared space on my hard drive. I did a hard reset. This is so sad because the game is amazing without this crap.

VAL0R

Banned
That's not a bad idea actually. Actually, you can just bind completely new ability sets for each dpad press. Like pressing Up switches to set B, which could be the same as set A without only B ability changed around, or it could be all three new abilities. Hell, it would work even better with Stick clicks as you won't have to lift your hand from the stick to press the dpad.

+1.
Yeah, thats a good idea too. I would have liked any options at all. Really surprised Moon skimped on this given how many new tricks Ori has.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished the game today. I almost 100%'d it. It had some absolutely horrendous slowdowns and crashes and freezes. I noticed it got worse the longer my play sessions went, so I'd quit and reload about every 2 hours and that helped some, but still not totally. The game was amazing though(slowdowns and freezing aside).

I love games like this because they're fun, but also have room for mastery and skill. For example, I had a lot of fun trying to jimmy rig my way to unreachable areas before I got the skills necessary to reach those areas. Doing little tiny tricks to boost myself a little higher on jumps, and even absorbing damage on thorny areas and climbing up the walls. It was kinda fun realizing later I got to areas I wasn't supposed to that early on.

The most challenging part to me was definitely
the sand worm. It was WAY harder than the final boss, and was unnecessarily frustrating and annoying. Could've done without it.

Also there was a part where you need a missile to follow you to blow up a wall and for some reason it never did, it took me like an hour to get it to follow me properly. The game should've been way less buggy, but it was amazing and will definitely be one of my best games of the year.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I finished the game today. I almost 100%'d it. It had some absolutely horrendous slowdowns and crashes and freezes. I noticed it got worse the longer my play sessions went, so I'd quit and reload about every 2 hours and that helped some, but still not totally. The game was amazing though(slowdowns and freezing aside).

I love games like this because they're fun, but also have room for mastery and skill. For example, I had a lot of fun trying to jimmy rig my way to unreachable areas before I got the skills necessary to reach those areas. Doing little tiny tricks to boost myself a little higher on jumps, and even absorbing damage on thorny areas and climbing up the walls. It was kinda fun realizing later I got to areas I wasn't supposed to that early on.

The most challenging part to me was definitely
the sand worm. It was WAY harder than the final boss, and was unnecessarily frustrating and annoying. Could've done without it.

Also there was a part where you need a missile to follow you to blow up a wall and for some reason it never did, it took me like an hour to get it to follow me properly. The game should've been way less buggy, but it was amazing and will definitely be one of my best games of the year.

Im about 53% in. Im enjoying tf out the game as well but the slowdowns are quite annoying.

I also like getting into places i probably shouldn't be able to get to yet. I just want to 100% every area without having to come back to it lol.

-Troid-

Banned

I'm glad they don't use the dpad for that stuff because I really rather use the dpad for movement in my 2D platformers.

• Praise the Sun

DrDamn

About half way here. Enjoying it a lot. Set pieces like chase sequences and stealth bit in general have been tiresome, beautiful and impressive to look at but the trial and error nature of them and the lack of what you are meant to do in some bits tends to destroy that for me. I find them great as a spectacle but not enjoyable to play at all. The combat and platforming are both really fun though.

Have to echo sentiments on button mapping above. I shouldn't have to remap buttons mid fight and having just three available for use isn't enough.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Another annoyance was having to constantly check the map to see where I was. I wish they had some type of a superimposed map on the screen.

Also a little tip. The one attack skill. Bash is it? I forget the name. You can use that to boost yourself up a tiny bit in midair to reach areas and ledges you otherwise normally couldn’t. Hit up and whatever button you assign it to and you swing upward and it boosts yourself up a tiiiiny little bit.

dEvAnGeL

Having 100% both games i have to say i think the first one os much much better in every department except graphics, WofW looks incredible but the level design of the first game is immaculate for me.

Exentryk

Completed the last big escape sequence in the game and it reminded me of the first game. The thrill you get from completing it was great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom